Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2021

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:14 pm Well, that was ugly. Seems having #7 start again today, may very well have been a statement to lacrosse, and to #7 about his lacrosse.
That was the ugliest A-N game in my memory.
The offense is Xavier drops back, then runs for his life.
A lot of work to do in spring ball & next preseason.
We're looking up at both Army & Air Force.
Xavier may be the QB of the future, but we need depth at that position,
like Army & Air Force have had the past few seasons.

https://twitter.com/Mfells_11/status/13 ... 12438.html
Whoever controls the line of scrimmage controls the game. I do not understand why they did not put #7 in shotgun for most of the snaps that game. That way he is already a few steps back, the field opens and it buys him additional, although fractional-time, to evaluate what is coming his way. If you notice, it IS what Army did. I would have also shown a spread offense a few times to open up the running lanes and stretch Army out.

I don't think Lamar Jackson could have done much better yesterday as qb, unless he audibled each play. :)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

You don't do diddly-squat with the Triple O unless you have an offensive line. And Navy's O line could offer no protection to the QB all season. The QB's get a 1 second look downfield and then they are running for their lives.... Gotta find some linemen for next year and the future... and where the hell was any slot back production all year?

:(
old salt

Post by old salt »

:? ...KN a candidate for the AZ job, again. Then there's this :

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

How come the offensive staff didn’t make just as effective use of the long layoff?
Truth be told, the Navy offense got worse during that time period.

“We have to do some soul-searching and get that fixed. We’ve got to improve dramatically to have a chance next year,” Niumatalolo said.
“We have to look at what we’re doing, how we’re doing, how we’re teaching it — everything.
We’ve never struggled like this on offense before. We have to take a really deep look at what we’re doing.”
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

And on the lacrosse side......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hearing some promising news on on the season.....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

Navy has posted a Patriot League only schedule (so far) on the Navy Sports website...
Encouraging, so far.

:)
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

NoLeft wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 pm Navy has posted a Patriot League only schedule (so far) on the Navy Sports website...
Encouraging, so far.

For what its worth, schedule has now been taken down. Probably wasn't supposed to be up yet. But a good sign. I knows OSU HC Nick Myers said they are aiming on Feb 13 as being their first game. Gotta think that week, maybe earlier, through March 1 is the window for starting that we see. Will certainly be a more spread out start than usual.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:35 am
NoLeft wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 pm Navy has posted a Patriot League only schedule (so far) on the Navy Sports website...
Encouraging, so far.

For what its worth, schedule has now been taken down. Probably wasn't supposed to be up yet. But a good sign. I knows OSU HC Nick Myers said they are aiming on Feb 13 as being their first game. Gotta think that week, maybe earlier, through March 1 is the window for starting that we see. Will certainly be a more spread out start than usual.
It's still up, never was taken down...https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... edule/2021
118:24 #HHH
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

cuseman4133 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:37 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:35 am
Encouraging, so far.

It's still up, never was taken down...https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... edule/2021
Oh. Well when you hit the schedule tab it no longer shows 2021 as an option. Guess the link still works though.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I hope it is just a partial schedule as it shows only 7 games. (Lehigh, Bucknell, HC, @Loy, @ Lafayette, Loy, Army)
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Patriot League Conference Schedules Set, Two Div

Multiple coaches said the Patriot League teams won’t be able to play any non-league opponents during the Patriot League span. How those are handled will likely be instutition by institution, but there will be a time squeeze to get in marquee out-of-conference games, balancing when teams arrive on campus and start practicing in February as well as the currently unknown availability of other teams, plus testing protocols.
old salt

Post by old salt »

5 of 7 games at home. Here's hoping we senior citizens are vaccinated by then & Gov Larry lets us attend.

CBSSN should set up shop & stay for the season.

Looks like PLN has become PLonESPN

https://twitter.com/patriotleaguetv?lang=en
https://www.espn.com/watch/catalog/43ab ... onferences
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Navy fans! While I have believed this from Day One, do any of you, even if you didn't think so from Day One, believe that:

Coach Joe Amplo, at the time, was the best choice for coaches who realistically would have come if offered the job?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I can say with confidence that I have yet to find a player, or parent, for that matter, that is not thrilled. Winning matters, but the relationship, loving, caring, mentoring aspect he brings Is a healthy balance these tightly wound MIDS need when they step away from Bancroft.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 pm I can say with confidence that I have yet to find a player, or parent, for that matter, that is not thrilled. Winning matters, but the relationship, loving, caring, mentoring aspect he brings Is a healthy balance these tightly wound MIDS need when they step away from Bancroft.
Correct me if I am wrong. But, from what it sounds like, that was the case with Richie Meade, but not so much with Rick Sowell.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 pm I can say with confidence that I have yet to find a player, or parent, for that matter, that is not thrilled. Winning matters, but the relationship, loving, caring, mentoring aspect he brings Is a healthy balance these tightly wound MIDS need when they step away from Bancroft.
Correct me if I am wrong. But, from what it sounds like, that was the case with Richie Meade, but not so much with Rick Sowell.
I beg you for the sake of sanity to not go down this bunny trail yet again.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm
Hah :!:
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:14 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm
Hah :!:
Okay! The present and future for Navy Lax is all I will focus on from here on. And it appears to be pretty good
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

As mentioned by Navy staff, IL and other posters here, this recruiting year is unlike any other year Navy has had in terms of recognized high quality players. I am wondering:

1. Will we see these recruits as plebes this year in the starting line up? Or...
2. How many are going to NAPS? And why? (it is not like there is a backlog of AA's they have to work through)
3. What is an Amplo system player? And how does what he has fit that system?

Unpopular opinion: I must admit I am not a fan of every coach stating how they are going to grow the character of the players, embody the mission, etc. Got it. So are the professors, company officers, battalion officers, leadership instructors, diversity staff, Honor Board, Supe staff, and 'Dant staff. It would be refreshing to hear them say they are here to win. Winning is not contrary to mission of the Naval Academy. Yes the coach has to recognize there are demands on a player's time not generally felt elsewhere (but those players also deal with other issues Naval academy players are shielded from) but the coach, more than anyone else, is there to win. I too often feel the "mission pitch" is another way of saying "please do not judge me by my win-loss" record". I know they are not mutually exclusive but....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:46 am As mentioned by Navy staff, IL and other posters here, this recruiting year is unlike any other year Navy has had in terms of recognized high quality players. I am wondering:

1. Will we see these recruits as plebes this year in the starting line up? Or...
2. How many are going to NAPS? And why? (it is not like there is a backlog of AA's they have to work through)
3. What is an Amplo system player? And how does what he has fit that system?

Unpopular opinion: I must admit I am not a fan of every coach stating how they are going to grow the character of the players, embody the mission, etc. Got it. So are the professors, company officers, battalion officers, leadership instructors, diversity staff, Honor Board, Supe staff, and 'Dant staff. It would be refreshing to hear them say they are here to win. Winning is not contrary to mission of the Naval Academy. Yes the coach has to recognize there are demands on a player's time not generally felt elsewhere (but those players also deal with other issues Naval academy players are shielded from) but the coach, more than anyone else, is there to win. I too often feel the "mission pitch" is another way of saying "please do not judge me by my win-loss" record". I know they are not mutually exclusive but....
I'll give at shot..

1. I could see 3-4 of them getting solid minutes and couple others getting time in games where Navy is running away with it.
2. That is always a mystery. But to your point, that extra year gets them closer to the AA player, especially as they mature near 2C year.
3. My perspective..... I'd say an Amplo system player is much-much more loose, relaxed, and has been taught more skilled subtleties of the game, they also better bring it, every time. The foot is on the gas pedal (not as much as UVA) but we are getting closer to this era style of lacrosse. Not sure what you are looking for in the last part of the question that would not be fitting for every coach.

Not sure what you are driving at in your last piece. All those people you list at USNA, how many spend time actually learning and understanding the person. I do not know Amplo well enough, but I can say many of the players gravitate to him for all things NOT lacrosse. For the majority of their day, MID's are mentally locked in, tight, always being watched, nit picked...not to mention some of the 'helmets' are looking to knock the athletes down. I 'd guess the carpet is wearing out faster in the lax offices at Ricketts with the added MIDN foot traffic this past year and half.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”