All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am well, I'm going to take my own advice and take a bike ride, get some endorphins flowing, and enjoy my day...

hardly a bad wish on anyone...

Sounds like fun. I have to get mine fixed, the plate protecting the gears is bent a little and messing with switching speeds right now.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ggait

Post by ggait »

I don’t know much of anything about Wichita State, other than the basketball team.

Baseball team has a strong history.
I do know (but do not know why I know) that Wichita State has a world class program in aviation and aeronautics. Which is a lot more than I knew about UMBC's academic programs.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:14 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 am well, I'm going to take my own advice and take a bike ride, get some endorphins flowing, and enjoy my day...

Sounds like fun. I have to get mine fixed, the plate protecting the gears is bent a little and messing with switching speeds right now.
endorphins through exercise are my drug of choice...a little caffeine helps too!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:16 am
I don’t know much of anything about Wichita State, other than the basketball team.

Baseball team has a strong history.
I do know (but do not know why I know) that Wichita State has a world class program in aviation and aeronautics. Which is a lot more than I knew about UMBC's academic programs.
I didn’t know that. They had a fantastic hoops team in the early 1980’s. One of the best to not win a title. A funny UMBC story, a friend said he was talking to a guy about UMBC and told the guy UMBC stood for you made a bad mistake....the guy told him his daughter went there😂 🦶 in 👄
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:13 am Calling someone a pretend is an attack. Yes or no? You will answer me or I will cry with 47 other useless and inarticulate posts just arguing for the sake of arguing. (And I’ll probably do it anyways even if you answer me only I’ll change the subject to whether they have better brothels in Ecuador or Cambodia)
Exactly
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:28 am

endorphins through exercise are my drug of choice...a little caffeine helps too!
Hydroxycut. Over the counter metabolism enhancement which I used for nearly two decades before working out to pump a little extra through the system.

*caveat is while completely unrelated that at 42 I just spent the better part of week in a hospital or bed over this chest issue I have called Myocarditis. So take the former recommendation with that context..
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Huh. And I always thought blow was the weight loss supplement of choice of the Wall Street guys. ;)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

If by “plate” you mean derailleur cage, bend it back.
Derailleurs are simple mechanisms. Check the attached to diagnose and repair.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kkL1vze6M4A
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:31 pm

If by “plate” you mean derailleur cage, bend it back.
Derailleur are simple mechanisms. Check the attached to diagnose and repair.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kkL1vze6M4A
Thanks will check out, its that circular small metal plate between gears and some of the gram near the back wheel. Was going to take it to a shop but maybe this will work.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:27 pm Huh. And I always thought blow was the weight loss supplement of choice of the Wall Street guys. ;)
That’s just to get a few hours of drinking in when you’re working 80-100hr weeks...(for people who haven’t done this for 1+yrs solid it’s not exaggeration, 9-2/3am most weekenights, some overnighters, something like 10/11-4-7pm in Sat and Sun, almost all expenses are covered from dinner per diem to car service home so you save a lot of money in discretionary expenditures. I know people that did that for 3-4yrs, I was lucky to miss a chunk of that period but not all)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:53 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:14 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:25 pm Yes, there are "hypotheticals and strawmen" arguments that are certainly less than ironclad, lockdown certain. But there are degrees of plausibility that can and should be ascertained about such arguments to differentiate between them, as they are often the best that can be done when making decisions, choices of paths of action.

We can, for instance, differentiate between the claims that were made (and still being made) that there was massive fraud in the 4 states, obscuring that Trump actually won, and the position that there wasn't. The claim was implausible on its face, and became more so as various tests of the claims were brought to the courts, to Republican judges, Governors, Sec of State, etc, with recounts...continued to refute such claims. The more we knew, the more implausible the claims became. Yet persist.

So, too, the arguments about the impact of Trump's choices with virus management. He made a series of choices whereas other leaders/countries made different choices and as time went on evidence has grown. If I've understood you correctly, you think there could be confounding variables unaccounted for that explain the differences in outcomes that aren't attributable to any of those decisions made by the leaders? That could be true, but IMO are becoming as likely as that Hugo Chavez meddled in the US 2020 election... ;)

To be clear, I think that when there's a degree of uncertainty (as is almost always the case when predicting), it's important to stay agile in responding to new information, to test and learn fast, and adapt. That requires being open to the possibility of confounding variables and unintended consequences.

But it doesn't mean an inability to take action informed by the most plausible scenarios.
your points on their face are what anyone would agree upon, generally speaking.

what's been tossed around here to generate the discussion, however, is pure cherry picking, hindsight and speculation. with huge confounding errors not small ones, contradictory outcomes omitted, and a massive absence of data crunching. so, "here's what i think." not much more than that. i will defend your right to say it all day long.
And I yours.

I dunno, most of the discussion on here is just that, spitballing by non-experts, putting together lines of argument in as logical and well defended way as we can each muster. Some bother to cite experts and put some weight on such expertise, whereas others have a tough time conceiving that anyone could actually know more than they do.

Personally, I find I learn some things I wouldn't necessarily have considered through those discussions and I don't have any problem with moderating my view as a result.

On this one, after all the back and forth, I don't have any trouble with a position that Trump's choices have cost (many) tens of thousands of lives that any modern predecessor POTUS would have very likely avoided.
i don't either. when that moves to false certainty and a refutation of other's opinions and possible other outcomes, that's when i either tune out or might have something to point out. scientific and political leaders are flailing to keep up with ever changing info. and that is not surprising.
Precision is more debatable, but directionally I find refutation of that position darn implausible.
to each his own. for sure, if the focus was covid deaths, lockdowns (stay at home) and fear have been maybe the strongest correlator to rT directionally moving south for a time. imo. you can't hardly get it if you don't mingle with anyone. would have to be enforced, of course, and then the length of doing that runs into debate in some circles. we'll see what 2021 brings, i'm long individual vaxx effectiveness and short adoption of them right now.
hmmm, well let's just say that I, like the public health officials, find distancing and masking in some combination with rigor to be a more compelling path to better outcomes than a 'let'er rip' process. Lots and lots of evidence that doing so, even better if coupled with lots of testing and tracing rigor, reduces spread.

Balancing that out with the need to do various activities is not an exact science, certainly, but my own view is that we can do most activities while also doing the above, if we're careful to do so...but it needs to be widely done, not half assed.

and that's where the leadership comes in...persuading people to be conscious of the risks not simply to themselves but to others and resourcing the capabilities to do so, whether PPE or testing and tracing or financial support for those impacted by a reduction in economic activities...all requires leadership.

Trying to get precise about differential impact is far more problematic, but directionally, I just don't see the confounding variables, ignored data, etc that would refute that view.

I tend to agree re your long and short, though I'm currently a bit more optimistic about what the right sort of leadership can do to increase public adoption. We've already seen a big jump in public polling on this, fingers crossed that there won't be a lot of negative reactions that discourage that trend.
lot to unpack here. some i agree with, some not.
let me start with one piece:
why did your niece(?) and her fiancee take a ride to the airport with your nephew?
They considered each other in their 'bubble', but in retrospect were horrified that they'd put parents and grandparents at risk. The niece and fiance could have driven and parked or taken an uber. Would likely have been masked in an uber or plexiglass separation.

If your point is that there's risk in almost anything, I quite agree...it's all about reducing aggregated risk of transmission. You obviously know that, so I feel like I could sound pedantic...

or were you driving at something else?
ok, thanks. shaved a few posts in the quotes and moved over to the coronavirus thread. sorry, have been tied up couldn't get back until now.

there has actually been quite a lot of confounding variables and contradictory evidence that marks results all over the globe and intra-nationally on various mitigation strategies in my view. i've been trying to make heads or tails of it for a long time, and i'm sure others whose job it is to do that are doing it full-time.

behavior and how we're packaging messaging might explain that. that partly or largely comes from what can be seen as bad messaging and leadership, as you note. some bad messaging includes "don't worry about it, do what you want". i wouldn't argue that could be in fact very bad.

what could be just as or more damaging, while altruistic, is messaging that also is contributing here partly or largely and may be being completely fumbled.

tld threw it out there, the going line -- "when you can't social distance, wear a mask". while well intentioned, i firmly believe that as much as anything may have led us to --- not social distancing. whether that means:
-some folks that think a mask isn't going to work in a one-on-one situation that well anyway so no sd is necessary
-or a mask will protect them if they get within 6 feet of people, so go ahead and get into those situations

what's the result? a whole lot more people not social distancing and going into situations that they otherwise wouldn't. by the 10s of millions daily. maybe by the 100s of millions or billions in contacts daily. that's a lot.

here is how i make a decision about going somewhere:
would i go there if no one was wearing masks, and would i go there if i was not wearing a mask (in the hypothetical). i make that decision first, and then i wear a mask as appropriate (indoors, and when i'll be within a short distance of anyone outdoors).

what are we doing as a country? we decide to go somewhere or do things based on the opposite -- whether most or all people are wearing masks, and/or whether i can go ahead and not social distance, or take other precautions as long as i have my mask.

the messaging "when you can't social distance, wear a mask" is translated in the u.s.a as -- "i'll just wear a mask in this situation". and "socially distancing is not of primary importance."

and that reverberates every day with headlines - "masks", somewhere down the list - social distance and wash your hands. my hypothesis right now in trying to make heads or tails of our performance around social distancing and masks is as we have shouted from the rooftops on "masks", we have gotten the message backwards. and that may very well be not only neutering our results, but quite possibly damaging them.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

small sample size, but a randomized trial. and even better results than the hcq.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7605811/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Interesting proposition, difficult to refute or confirm.

Thanks for laying it out.
Makes it much, much easier to understand why you often seem to be pushing back on masks.

If I understand correctly, you're not saying masks aren't an important contributor to reducing spread risk, you're saying that at least some people are getting confused by the emphasis on masks (as if a panacea) and are doing more things than they would if the communication was clearer and better understood that masks are simply a second resort to distancing.

Gonna ponder that. Probably some truth to that.

My own feeling is that this just isn't that confusing, or at least shouldn't be...reduce the chances of transmission.

Distance #1.
Mask #2.
Other risk reduction (hand washing etc) #3.
Do ALL...best you can.

Explain why, how...deal with scenarios, deal with contending priorities, repeat again and again and again. Mandates work because people need clear rules, but the rules need to be clearly understood and sensitive to situation and they must be clearly justified by the science.

why is it confusing?
IMO, because there's a political industry around anti-science.

Fortunately, there's rarely an anti-science conspiracy nut job in the highest authority with the biggest megaphone in the world.

Unfortunately, that rare exception has been the case this critical time.
njbill

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm small sample size, but a randomized trial. and even better results than the hcq.
Better than HCQ? That’s unpossible.

Next, you are going to say it is better and more effective than injecting bleach.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:57 pm small sample size, but a randomized trial. and even better results than the hcq.

Quote from the article: "Herbal medicine was used for symptomatic treatment in this study and the results showed that there was a significant between-group difference ". I would have liked to see more info on this part of the study. How much relief was provided?

If it can be shown that herbals or other alternate treatments can provide some measure of relief, will USA doctors adopt the use of herbal medicines as well? After all, while we are all anxiously awaiting a vaccine, we still need treatments for now. Let's all hope that light of the end of the tunnel starts becomes visible at long last.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

FWIW, another data point.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiED ... id=US%3Aen

Before !Joe!, et al. get too excited, note I am making no assertions re likelihood of occurrence.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:40 pm FWIW, another data point.

Before !Joe!, et al. get too excited, note I am making no assertions re likelihood of occurrence.

On the contrary, this is to be expected.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:40 pm FWIW, another data point.

I got mentioned by name :lol: :lol:

From the same article, this is common and not reason for any alarm.

"Dr. Lindy Jones, the emergency department medical director at the hospital, said the reaction subsided soon after the worker was treated with epinephrine. He said the worker remained enthusiastic that she had received the vaccine and was set to be discharged later on Wednesday.

“She is healthy and she is doing well,” Dr. Jones said."

Joe
CU77

Post by CU77 »

A point I heard made by a doc on TV: bad reactions to the covid vaccine are FAR more treatable than covid.

Life is about balancing risks.
ggait

Post by ggait »

That’s just to get a few hours of drinking in when you’re working 80-100hr weeks...(for people who haven’t done this for 1+yrs solid it’s not exaggeration, 9-2/3am most weekenights, some overnighters, something like 10/11-4-7pm in Sat and Sun, almost all expenses are covered from dinner per diem to car service home so you save a lot of money in discretionary expenditures. I know people that did that for 3-4yrs, I was lucky to miss a chunk of that period but not all)
Young lawyers working in NYC did the same (at least back in the day).

A guy I knew actually lived at the law firm for a couple years. His folks lived in the outer boroughs, so he never rented an apartment in the city. He'd stay at the firm during the work week, then reload at the parents house over the weekend.

Slept on a partners couch, showered in the firm gym, ate all meals in the firm cafeteria, took car service to/from the clubs. Was able to bill more hours AND party more since he cut out all that commuting time. Saved a lot of money since his living expenses (except for entertainment and a Hamptons summer share) were zero.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”