Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

Getting some love...well done > well said.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am Getting some love...well done > well said.

:lol: Thank you, but that's not why I quoted that. I have some of the French Lick whiskies for both of you.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:21 am Getting some love...well done > well said.

:lol: Thank you, but that's not why I quoted that. I have some of the French Lick whiskies for both of you.....
I know you are not like that, which is why I wanted to acknowledge it :D . Sweet!!!!

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Watched Neat last night: https://www.hulu.com/movie/neat-the-sto ... 8cf28b2b09

Nice little Docu/Film on Bourbon, some players from BT, HH, JB, FR chime in. Helps you understand the history of Bourbon, Colonel Taylors push to get us the Bottle In Bond legislation so as to avoid the rot gut that was taking place.

I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Recent pick up.....Noble Oak Double Oak Rye....Finished with Port wine staves

Spent some time in the isle today reading labels and evaluating brands/prices that may be rarities or otherwise new on the shelves. Decided to chose this @nobleoak offering.

Read some of their history, which dates back to the mid 19th century in Glasgow.

At first pour, you pick up a slight light roasted cream salted coffee note. Then the palette picks up a smooth, borderline wheated bourbon with a coating of silky covering. The finish is where you experience the rye reveal with a pleasant spice, yolked with the essence that the port staves provide.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am Watched Neat last night: https://www.hulu.com/movie/neat-the-sto ... 8cf28b2b09

Nice little Docu/Film on Bourbon, some players from BT, HH, JB, FR chime in. Helps you understand the history of Bourbon, Colonel Taylors push to get us the Bottle In Bond legislation so as to avoid the rot gut that was taking place.

I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.
Have you been to Bardstown?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 am Recent pick up.....Noble Oak Double Oak Rye....Finished with Port wine staves

Spent some time in the isle today reading labels and evaluating brands/prices that may be rarities or otherwise new on the shelves. Decided to chose this @nobleoak offering.

Read some of their history, which dates back to the mid 19th century in Glasgow.

At first pour, you pick up a slight light roasted cream salted coffee note. Then the palette picks up a smooth, borderline wheated bourbon with a coating of silky covering. The finish is where you experience the rye reveal with a pleasant spice, yolked with the essence that the port staves provide.
You should write a connoisseurs' column.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.
It's not the same blend it was 15 years ago.

And the problem is, it's become a "trophy" brand....where folks trying to impress colleagues etc., buy the "right" bottle of whiskey.

Scarcity is what makes these brands go. If everyone could get it, it's no longer a trophy. So no one cares. The psychology of it all is pretty funny to watch.....

....as you have figured out, if you REALLY love bourbon? There are plenty of easy to find brands that are simply beautiful bourbons.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:11 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am Watched Neat last night: https://www.hulu.com/movie/neat-the-sto ... 8cf28b2b09

Sadly, no. I was scheduled there this past spring for two weeks, and CV-19 hit. One of these days...
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:47 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am I did sip some Blanton's while watching it. Interestingly enough, the more I drink other products and come back to Blantons, the less enamored/ enthralled I become. Sure, its still a great sipper, but it would not be my go to with other choices at the ~60/bottle price point.
It's not the same blend it was 15 years ago.

And the problem is, it's become a "trophy" brand....where folks trying to impress colleagues etc., buy the "right" bottle of whiskey.

Scarcity is what makes these brands go. If everyone could get it, it's no longer a trophy. So no one cares. The psychology of it all is pretty funny to watch.....

....as you have figured out, if you REALLY love bourbon? There are plenty of easy to find brands that are simply beautiful bourbons.
One of my all time favorites, which was my higher end bottle at the time, was ETL....always available and sitting just around $30 dollars 20 years ago. Sadly, it's harder to find than Blanton's and even Stagg or EHT Single Barrel. I have essentially thrown in the towel on BT products and now grab something new to the shelves/market. Not gonna lie, if I come across some ETL or EHT or even some OWA I'll grab it at MSRP.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 am Recent pick up.....Noble Oak Double Oak Rye....Finished with Port wine staves

You should write a connoisseurs' column.
Thanks. I'll throw some of my other fireside reviews up soon.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

From a few weeks ago...

Longbranch

The is the Matthew McConaughey venture with WT (Wild Turkey), which took them quite awhile and many variances to find the recipe they agreed upon. I also believe I read somewhere that Jimmy Russell originally said no, but son Eddie said yes. I have to say, as a WT fan, it is true to the WT brand, and with its distinguishing mesquite profile, it subtly hits without losing the WT profile. The mesquite pick-up happens post swallow and IMO, can be likened to burnt-ends or that char on a ribeye.

This was tasted neat and relaxed for 15 minutes prior to allow it open up. As a mid $30 bottle and readily available, it’s worth a shot for a little different variation of WT and pairing with some down home cooking on the grille.
~Livy
Bart

Post by Bart »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:42 am From a few weeks ago...

Longbranch

The is the Matthew McConaughey venture with WT (Wild Turkey), which took them quite awhile and many variances to find the recipe they agreed upon. I also believe I read somewhere that Jimmy Russell originally said no, but son Eddie said yes. I have to say, as a WT fan, it is true to the WT brand, and with its distinguishing mesquite profile, it subtly hits without losing the WT profile. The mesquite pick-up happens post swallow and IMO, can be likened to burnt-ends or that char on a ribeye.

This was tasted neat and relaxed for 15 minutes prior to allow it open up. As a mid $30 bottle and readily available, it’s worth a shot for a little different variation of WT and pairing with some down home cooking on the grille.
Had not been a WT fan until recently. Thanks AFan, I am really enjoying the 101.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bart wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:42 am From a few weeks ago...

Longbranch

Had not been a WT fan until recently. Thanks AFan, I am really enjoying the 101.
You're welcome! It's not one of the "cool kids" with the trophy hunters. Their loss, your gain!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:36 pm

Sadly, no. I was scheduled there this past spring for two weeks, and CV-19 hit. One of these days...
In 2014 I was on the return leg from a drive to Mt Rushmore. Earlier in the day I was in Louisville where I had visited the Colonel at Cave Hill Cemetery and a visit to Churchill Downs track and museum. Made it to Bardstown in the afternoon on a Thursday. I had no idea it was the first day of the four day Kentucky Bourbon Festival and was very fortunate to find lodging at the quaint Bardstown Parkview motel just off the village center.

The town is very pleasant and walkable. Ate dinner at the bar of the historic Old Talbott Inn. While there I met this feller who was something like the unofficial mayor of Bardstown. He offered to show me some of the preferred tastings being staged at various businesses in the town. During the course of the night we met up with four guys form South Jersey and a couple from Michigan and concluded the evening at Spaulding Hall where Angel’s Envy was set up. We got to sample his wares and talk to the owner in an informal setting. Samples included some hard to obtain bottlings. It was about 1am by the time we adjourned.

The next day I returned to Spaulding Hall to visit the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History then set off to visit the Heaven Hill distillery and the Willitt distillery. I’m not a whiskey drinker but I have a trained palate and anyone can certainly learn quite a bit about the different styles of whiskey through their tasting centers, watching production and touring the Rick houses. For what it’s worth I most enjoyed Willitt’s Johnny Drum Private Stock (white label-101proof). Vanilla, rich caramel, tobacco, lasting finish sampled with a bit of water was my recollection.

I returned again on the return drive from Nebraska to watch the eclipse a few years ago and made it to another distillery and spent the night at the same place. Really fun place to visit.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:36 pm

In 2014 I was on the return leg from a drive to Mt Rushmore. Earlier in the day I was in Louisville where I had visited the Colonel at Cave Hill Cemetery and a visit to Churchill Downs track and museum. Made it to Bardstown in the afternoon on a Thursday. I had no idea it was the first day of the four day Kentucky Bourbon Festival and was very fortunate to find lodging at the quaint Bardstown Parkview motel just off the village center.

The town is very pleasant and walkable. Ate dinner at the bar of the historic Old Talbott Inn. While there I met this feller who was something like the unofficial mayor of Bardstown. He offered to show me some of the preferred tastings being staged at various businesses in the town. During the course of the night we met up with four guys form South Jersey and a couple from Michigan and concluded the evening at Spaulding Hall where Angel’s Envy was set up. We got to sample his wares and talk to the owner in an informal setting. Samples included some hard to obtain bottlings. It was about 1am by the time we adjourned.

The next day I returned to Spaulding Hall to visit the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History then set off to visit the Heaven Hill distillery and the Willitt distillery. I’m not a whiskey drinker but I have a trained palate and anyone can certainly learn quite a bit about the different styles of whiskey through their tasting centers, watching production and touring the Rick houses. For what it’s worth I most enjoyed Willitt’s Johnny Drum Private Stock (white label-101proof). Vanilla, rich caramel, tobacco, lasting finish sampled with a bit of water was my recollection.

I returned again on the return drive from Nebraska to watch the eclipse a few years ago and made it to another distillery and spent the night at the same place. Really fun place to visit.
Man ole' man...great story and thanks for sharing. I just finished a bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock, solid bottle for the price.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sitting outdoors, fireside, enjoying some Michters Small Batch and a Perdomo 10th Anniversary with the wife. Listening to deep walk in the woods and shining a flashlight in their green eyes.

Happy New Year everyone.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Neat article on History of mash bill.

https://bourbonveach.com/2021/01/04/mas ... dFswYdtRWM

EDIT: Fixed incorrect link
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm Neat article on History of mash bill.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GKGjeqHSy1A
Do they use lettuce to make whiskey? ;)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm Neat article on History of mash bill.

https://bourbonveach.com/2021/01/04/mas ... dFswYdtRWM
Do they use lettuce to make whiskey? ;)
Fixed link below.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”