Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I thought this was a possibility. If we get this, I could live with it for a season.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Agreed, conference-only is most sensible attempt at a season in current conditions. Travel issues for western teams especially however... Big 'East'. Lax conferences not as whacked-out geographically as some football conferences. Assuming successful conf-only year for most, and assuming an NCAA playoff, the selection committee gonna earn their money this year 😲😂.

Had no idea a huge state school like Alabama is so limited in athletic opportunities!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

As has been reported elsewhere, Coach K may be reacting to his team's losses. I mean, after all, are healthy college athletes really at risk?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 am Agreed, conference-only is most sensible attempt at a season in current conditions. Travel issues for western teams especially however... Big 'East'. Lax conferences not as whacked-out geographically as some football conferences. Assuming successful conf-only year for most, and assuming an NCAA playoff, the selection committee gonna earn their money this year 😲😂.

Had no idea a huge state school like Alabama is so limited in athletic opportunities!
i think a lot will change even during the season. if there is one. deaths and maybe cases should be dropping dramatically, that'll be a headline.

add/subtract games, move to interconference play even in real time is a distinct possibility.

that said, if it's all conference play, for this year i would favor 2 teams per conference in nc$$. reg season champ and playoff champ (or runner up reg season play if one and the same).
smoova

Post by smoova »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:29 pm As has been reported elsewhere, Coach K may be reacting to his team's losses. I mean, after all, are healthy college athletes really at risk?
Probably significantly less at risk than 73 year-old coaches ...
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Trudat! I laugh when watching college hoops games--players bump, sweat, rub on each other during competition and then wear a mask and social distance when on the bench. It's lunacy...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Big Ten men will supposedly play each conference opponent 2x and play only 2 OOC opponents..
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Many will be monitoring what happened yesterday to Florida Gator BBall player. Could have a huge impact on whether there's a season or not.

prayers with the family and gators
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

shaadb-man wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:21 pm Many will be monitoring what happened yesterday to Florida Gator BBall player. Could have a huge impact on whether there's a season or not.

Yep
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

ProudPapa wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm
shaadb-man wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:21 pm Many will be monitoring what happened yesterday to Florida Gator BBall player. Could have a huge impact on whether there's a season or not.

Yep
I hope Keyontae Johnson is OK and it is not related to having COVID over the summer.

I don't think the cause of Keyontae Johnson collapsing during a basketball game months after having COVID has any impact on the 2021 lacrosse season. The number of players in college sports, MLB, and the NFL that have had COVID is a large population. There are no patterns or trends related to those players getting sick.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:55 pm
ProudPapa wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 pm

Yep
I hope Keyontae Johnson is OK and it is not related to having COVID over the summer.

I don't think the cause of Keyontae Johnson collapsing during a basketball game months after having COVID has any impact on the 2021 lacrosse season. The number of players in college sports, MLB, and the NFL that have had COVID is a large population. There are no patterns or trends related to those players getting sick.
You are correct. However, the politicians and schools stopped using science and logic in their decision making a long time ago.

If this unfortunate situation is somehow tied to COVID then you can bet it will be a factor.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:55 pm I don't think the cause of Keyontae Johnson collapsing during a basketball game months after having COVID has any impact on the 2021 lacrosse season. The number of players in college sports, MLB, and the NFL that have had COVID is a large population. There are no patterns or trends related to those players getting sick.
I think the General Counsels at the heavily endowed Universities in question might disagree with this assessment.....
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:31 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:55 pm I don't think the cause of Keyontae Johnson collapsing during a basketball game months after having COVID has any impact on the 2021 lacrosse season. The number of players in college sports, MLB, and the NFL that have had COVID is a large population. There are no patterns or trends related to those players getting sick.
I think the General Counsels at the heavily endowed Universities in question might disagree with this assessment.....
Athletes have collapsed in many other years when CV-19 did not exist, why in the world must every aspect of life be (a large majority of the time WRONGFULLY) attributed to CV-19. Let the damn information come out and then make your assumption.

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:31 pm
Athletes have collapsed in many other years when CV-19 did not exist, why in the world must every aspect of life be (a large majority of the time WRONGFULLY) attributed to CV-19. Let the damn information come out and then make your assumption.

Joe
I'm not making any assumptions, my hair-triggered young friend. I'm trying to help you to understand what the decision makers are looking at here.

Do you know why the Covid bailout package has been held up by McConnell? Have a look, and get back to us. Hint: in involves a word that rhymes with "liability". ;)
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll: Pelosi and Sanders have both stated they didn’t want a relief bill passed as it would’ve helped Trump with re-election, oh well. The sky is still falling as we continue to lockdown healthy people due to a virus with a 99% survival rate. If you’re at risk, quarantine, others should wear a mask,
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll: Pelosi and Sanders have both stated they didn’t want a relief bill passed as it would’ve helped Trump with re-election, oh well. The sky is still falling as we continue to lockdown healthy people due to a virus with a 99% survival rate. If you’re at risk, quarantine, others should wear a mask,

+1 Amen!

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll:
Yes. You're dealing with someone who can read, and is trying to help you to answer the question: "Is a 2021 season going to happen"?

You partisans are reading what you want to read. I didn't blame McConnell for doodly. Or Trump. Or Pelosi. Or anyone. For anything.

What Im trying to tell you is that University Presidents are concerned about liability. So much so, that McConnell won't sign a stimulus without legal protections...and he's been demanding this provision for months. This is a truth. He's on the record for this. Is he right to do that? I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea what's at stake.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s insistence that legal liability protections for businesses, schools and colleges be included in any new coronavirus relief bill is approaching a moment of reckoning.

Warning that an avalanche of litigation would undercut any rebound from the pandemic’s economic damage, McConnell has repeatedly said he won’t let a bill to pass the Senate without a temporary shield from most coronavirus-related lawsuits for businesses that follow public health guidelines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... alks-stall

I'm simply telling you what's happening in DC. It has a direct effect on whether or not we have lacrosse. Maybe grow up, and knock off the partisan nonsense for five minutes. Or keep at it, I guess. It's doing wonders for our nation......
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:18 pm Yes. You're dealing with someone who can read, and is trying to help you to answer the question: "Is a 2021 season going to happen"?

You partisans are reading what you want to read. I didn't blame McConnell for doodly. Or Trump. Or Pelosi. Or anyone. For anything.

What Im trying to tell you is that University Presidents are concerned about liability. So much so, that McConnell won't sign a stimulus without legal protections...and he's been demanding this provision for months. This is a truth. He's on the record for this. Is he right to do that? I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea what's at stake.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s insistence that legal liability protections for businesses, schools and colleges be included in any new coronavirus relief bill is approaching a moment of reckoning.

Warning that an avalanche of litigation would undercut any rebound from the pandemic’s economic damage, McConnell has repeatedly said he won’t let a bill to pass the Senate without a temporary shield from most coronavirus-related lawsuits for businesses that follow public health guidelines.

I'm simply telling you what's happening in DC. It has a direct effect on whether or not we have lacrosse. Maybe grow up, and knock off the partisan nonsense for five minutes. Or keep at it, I guess. It's doing wonders for our nation......
Spot on. For the NCAA, this is a prison of their own making. In order for the players to "opt in" and assume personal liability like the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, PLL, etc., they'd have be deemed essential to the business. Except that blows apart the charade of the "student athlete." Oh, and they'd have to pay the players. College presidents....the actual members of the NCAA...will do everything they can to limit liability.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:18 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll:
Yes. You're dealing with someone who can read, and is trying to help you to answer the question: "Is a 2021 season going to happen"?

Partisan bashing ? ;) .....and yet you provide no...as in NO......links to the any actual bills. Just an article from FIVE months ago. From a publication owned by a guy who ran for POTUSA.

No liability provision in the original CARES act of late winter :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

good luck with liability when it comes to forcing people to have to get a shot that won't work

Suddenly, Mitch is drafting ALL US Congress legislation?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”