All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:35 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm Is there some reason to think that Germans aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc as well as Americans are? I wasn't aware they were battling this another way...genuinely interested, not arguing.
No reason that I know of.

Face masks considerably reduce COVID-19 cases in Germany
https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020 ... 2015954117

Most of Germany imposes $59 fine for mask-wearing breaches (at the end of August)
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-72655767

In one German state, passengers without masks on trains and buses were handed hefty spot fines in a major police operation
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-coronavir ... a-54679500
https://covid19.healthdata.org/germany? ... &tab=trend
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/why-ger ... rking.html

“Germany started its "lockdown light" on Monday, which is set to last for the month of November. The new restrictions include the closure of bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms, as well as the re-introduction of physical-distancing measures.”
germany will get it buttoned up.

they've been the loss leader, in a good way.

epidemiologists will have a field day for years after this pandemic. i saw a month or so ago they had had 5 kids under 18 in icu. total. they're tanks.
Talked to a friend that’s a nurse at the OSU hospital....she was kind of depressed....a good friend of her’s lost both parents to COVID this week...that’s not what had her depressed..... she said seeing patients back in the hospital for a second time with COVID has her down.......worried about when it will end....that is not good.
we need some good azn and jnj results. that would help expedite. maybe novavax and a negotiated win with pfizer.
meantime, we'll get to a lot of the vulnerable in the next 2-3 months.

lot of tragedy.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:04 pm Is there some reason to think that Germans aren't wearing masks, distancing, etc as well as Americans are? I wasn't aware they were battling this another way...genuinely interested, not arguing.

Most of Germany imposes $59 fine for mask-wearing breaches (at the end of August)

In one German state, passengers without masks on trains and buses were handed hefty spot fines in a major police operation

“Germany started its "lockdown light" on Monday, which is set to last for the month of November. The new restrictions include the closure of bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters and gyms, as well as the re-introduction of physical-distancing measures.”

epidemiologists will have a field day for years after this pandemic. i saw a month or so ago they had had 5 kids under 18 in icu. total. they're tanks.
Talked to a friend that’s a nurse at the OSU hospital....she was kind of depressed....a good friend of her’s lost both parents to COVID this week...that’s not what had her depressed..... she said seeing patients back in the hospital for a second time with COVID has her down.......worried about when it will end....that is not good.
we need some good azn and jnj results. that would help expedite. maybe novavax and a negotiated win with pfizer.

lot of tragedy.
We can avoid it if we let people do as they please and this includes bar and restaurant owners.....teammate’s wife recently finished up her day at The Johns Hopkins Hospital ..called restaurant to order food for pick up on the way home....arrived at the restaurant....packed with maskless Ravens fans drinking and watching the game....just having a few beers.... she was afraid to go in to get the food.....but those fans have a right to be irresponsible.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

lot of tragedy.
We can avoid it if we let people do as they please and this includes bar and restaurant owners.....teammate’s wife recently finished up her day at The Johns Hopkins Hospital ..called restaurant to order food for pick up on the way home....arrived at the restaurant....packed with maskless Ravens fans drinking and watching the game....just having a few beers.... she was afraid to go in to get the food.....but those fans have a right to be irresponsible.
not for much longer. lockdowns and fear. get the rO under 1.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:44 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:40 pm

lot of tragedy.
not for much longer. lockdowns and fear. get the rO under 1.
NYC shutting down indoor dining on Monday...I would have ended it on September 1st. I said that back in May. The numbers we are seeing don’t surprise me at all. It is basic logic. I know economics are a factor. We are going to do all we can to keep the retail channel open through Christmas.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:55 pm
Thanks, I wondered whether you were referring to the IHME estimates. I've thought their mask estimates about the US were wildly high, based upon my own observations 'out in the wild'...I wonder how they arrive at these estimates?
Surveys asking people about their own mask use. And they don't show statistical error bars, much less systematic errors from people exaggerating, or from sample bias. Does anyone see 65% mask use in public, as claimed for the US? I sure don't, not even in a highly blue area of highly blue California. Germany is claimed at 50%. My guess is that these numbers are within 1-sigma of each other, if we had a decent error analysis (which we don't).
ggait

Post by ggait »

CU77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:11 pm
Thanks, I wondered whether you were referring to the IHME estimates. I've thought their mask estimates about the US were wildly high, based upon my own observations 'out in the wild'...I wonder how they arrive at these estimates?
Surveys asking people about their own mask use. And they don't show statistical error bars, much less systematic errors from people exaggerating, or from sample bias. Does anyone see 65% mask use in public, as claimed for the US? I sure don't, not even in a highly blue area of highly blue California. Germany is claimed at 50%. My guess is that these numbers are within 1-sigma of each other, if we had a decent error analysis (which we don't).
Mask use is really really high around these parts (Denver metro). I don't know what the percentage is, but almost everyone wears them in the places and situations they are supposed to.

I recently walked into a store to pick something up and forgot to grab a mask off of the car dashboard. I tried to just grab my item and quickly flee, but to no avail. I would have been treated nicer if I was doing an armed stick up.

Luckily, there was a nice old lady who took pity on me and gave me an extra mask from her purse.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Wearing a mask under your nose or under your chin doesn’t count. Neither does lifting your mask to talk.

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 pm
Wearing a mask under your nose or under your chin doesn’t count. Neither does lifting your mask to talk.

ya think?
but masks.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:35 pm

ya think?
but masks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the proper way to wear a mask. Respect it and be polite to them.

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:39 pm

ya think?
but masks.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding the proper way to wear a mask. Respect it and be polite to them.

that looks like it's done in a lab.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:39 pm

ya think?
but masks.

that looks like it's done in a lab.
Too much traffic at Hooters.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

have we gotten an update on pfizer approval yet? i'm not checking news feeds but i love hahn. will trump go ballistic tomorrow on twitter?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 pm have we gotten an update on pfizer approval yet? i'm not checking news feeds but i love hahn. will trump go ballistic tomorrow on twitter?
I believe it has been approved. I don’t see a material impact until September. Summer will be difficult to determine where we are....better than last summer but by what factor might be hard to determine. Next fall will be the test. I am just relying on logic....might be slightly more credible than spitballing. Hopefully we are buttoned up next October.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 pm have we gotten an update on pfizer approval yet? i'm not checking news feeds but i love hahn. will trump go ballistic tomorrow on twitter?
I believe it has been approved. I don’t see a material impact until September. Summer will be difficult to determine where we are....better than last summer but by what factor might be hard to determine. Next fall will be the test. I am just relying on logic....might be slightly more credible than spitballing. Hopefully we are buttoned up next October.
thanks i just checked. he was in a tough position. wish he pulled it off for one more day.
on deaths, silver lining and hope it will come much quicker:

40% deaths in 1.5% of pop. nursing homes and lt care

another 50%+ in 65+ and comorbitities.

there are plenty of other ramifications, but i'd like to think we'll pull it off. vaccines targeting the spike protein have short term been very successful. everywhere, so far. anti-vaxxers are a problem. minority demographics in particular. understandably but unfortunately.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:28 pm
thanks i just checked. he was in a tough position. wish he pulled it off for one more day.

there are plenty of other ramifications, but i'd like to think we'll pull it off. vaccines targeting the spike protein have short term been very successful. everywhere, so far. anti-vaxxers are a problem. minority demographics in particular. understandably but unfortunately.
Yes. I believe things will be better next summer and the real test will be next fall. If we can get a good chunk vaccinated and I believe a sizeable portion remaining will have been exposed which should help.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Yes. I believe things will be better next summer and the real test will be next fall. If we can get a good chunk vaccinated and I believe a sizeable portion remaining will have been exposed which should help.
it's not gonna come down to exposed. which has been sizable (30%?!l) it'll be people willing to take the vaxx. so far, the messenging and interaction has sucked.

it'll get worse or better, we'll see.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 pm

it's not gonna come down to exposed. which has been sizable (30%?!l) it'll be people willing to take the vaxx. so far, the messenging and interaction has sucked.

Yes. I know. My point was that more people exposed will help at the margin. Better than if exposure was less IMO.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:04 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Yes. I know. My point was that more people exposed will help at the margin. Better than if exposure was less IMO.
imo. lol.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

“Everything is basically normal now,” said Lucy Withers, a 28-year-old grocery store worker in Christchurch on New Zealand’s South Island, where lockdowns ended in June. She hasn’t worn a face mask in months and now comfortably dines out at tables that aren’t spaced 6 feet apart. “I see my family; they come over; we go out for food. It’s just completely normal.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... s-no-covid
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:34 am “Everything is basically normal now,” said Lucy Withers, a 28-year-old grocery store worker in Christchurch on New Zealand’s South Island, where lockdowns ended in June. She hasn’t worn a face mask in months and now comfortably dines out at tables that aren’t spaced 6 feet apart. “I see my family; they come over; we go out for food. It’s just completely normal.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... s-no-covid
This helps...being an island and all.?

Managed isolation and quarantine
Travelers to New Zealand from all countries are tested for COVID-19 and a 14-day managed quarantine or isolation is mandatory.

You are legally required to obtain a Managed Isolation Allocation system voucher confirming your place in a managed isolation facility before boarding a flight.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “POLITICS”