Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:36 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:28 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:45 am Why do you not use capital letters?
i don't like to shout.

a laxpower poster i respected had passed away, stony brook fan. years out, i don't recall his handle and i never met him. tom? if anyone remembers it, i'd appreciate being reminded of not just his handle but all that he did for stony and lax. but he handled himself with more class than i ever could with his posts, and i knew he did a bunch in his community. so i started typing in (almost) all small caps, as he had done.

found it helps with texting, too.
Artful Dodger
nice. thanks.
Are you talking about "imp" a UMass fan? He preferred lc rather than U&lc.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm thanks. i looked into him a bit earlier this year as a clown or 2 was beating on TJ and on a high horse and comparing johns.

thought some things didn't naturally square and if it turned out that was the case, might be coming for him.
Funny thing about beating on TJ. I have heard that Anthony Hopkins is on-screen for only 16 minutes in the Silence of the Lambs. Similarly, in David McCullough's John Adams, TJ is a huge presence. The way I recall the book, it seems as if Adams, with his earnest, Yankee virtue is overshadowed by the easy brilliance of BF and TJ in Paris, and then later by TJ in England, leading to their political rivalry. We might prefer the example of Adams, but comparatively speaking, TJ was huge. We need both.

“You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”
interesting take.
i've found there's very little depth in critical assessment by many folks on a range of issues and people. historical figures included. shallow absorption and maybe just an expedited need in today's busy world to work through a singular source or 2 of cliff notes. not really forming an educated opinion so much as adopting one from somewhere. often that might also stem from a narcissistic need to elevate oneself's altruistic ego. or is it id?

anyway, johns hopkins was no doubt also a powerful force. i don't know about the force of his personality, but as is the case with many who managed to move the needle then and now, complicated. much more so than a release or an email or a census report. maybe a dearth of media is why it took so long to get to this point. were there many books or accounts written about him still around from the times?
That first bit might be considered a bit "condescending", no? ;)
And the earlier statement about Doc being eventually right, "flippant"?

I tend to agree with you that "complicated" is the right word for assessing the figures of the past who had such a profound impact to be worth even remembering, much less honoring.

I also tend to agree that Hopkins' apparent evolution should be considered on the positive side of any ledger looking at his failings. TJ may not have so 'evolved' in the same respect, but there's also no question that he had a profoundly positive impact on our world, felt positively even today. Complicated.

All of this is quite different (IMO) from the response to statues and other forms of honoring (naming of institutions, bases, etc) persons without such positive qualities... for the very purpose (at the time) of insulting or intimidating an important part of the American people.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm thanks. i looked into him a bit earlier this year as a clown or 2 was beating on TJ and on a high horse and comparing johns.

thought some things didn't naturally square and if it turned out that was the case, might be coming for him.
Funny thing about beating on TJ. I have heard that Anthony Hopkins is on-screen for only 16 minutes in the Silence of the Lambs. Similarly, in David McCullough's John Adams, TJ is a huge presence. The way I recall the book, it seems as if Adams, with his earnest, Yankee virtue is overshadowed by the easy brilliance of BF and TJ in Paris, and then later by TJ in England, leading to their political rivalry. We might prefer the example of Adams, but comparatively speaking, TJ was huge. We need both.

“You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”
interesting take.
i've found there's very little depth in critical assessment by many folks on a range of issues and people. historical figures included. shallow absorption and maybe just an expedited need in today's busy world to work through a singular source or 2 of cliff notes. not really forming an educated opinion so much as adopting one from somewhere. often that might also stem from a narcissistic need to elevate oneself's altruistic ego. or is it id?

anyway, johns hopkins was no doubt also a powerful force. i don't know about the force of his personality, but as is the case with many who managed to move the needle then and now, complicated. much more so than a release or an email or a census report. maybe a dearth of media is why it took so long to get to this point. were there many books or accounts written about him still around from the times?
there's one guy on these boards i give myself authority to say things however i want to here. within reason and rules, of course. hopefully, it never becomes 2.

we doing this everywhere? let me know, i just got done explaining to you (for some reason) why i get to react to other people's posts.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:45 am Why do you not use capital letters?
i don't like to shout.

a laxpower poster i respected had passed away, stony brook fan. years out, i don't recall his handle and i never met him. tom? if anyone remembers it, i'd appreciate being reminded of not just his handle but all that he did for stony and lax. but he handled himself with more class than i ever could with his posts, and i knew he did a bunch in his community. so i started typing in (almost) all small caps, as he had done.

Artful Dodger
nice. thanks.
AD was terrific,

https://sbulacrosse.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... 3.html?m=1

They had a memorial at one of their games after,
and posted Ron’s Laxpower handle and Einstein
And, he did live long enough to see that great run by
Stony Brook, I was happy about that.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 pm
i don't like to shout.

Artful Dodger
nice. thanks.
AD was terrific,

https://sbulacrosse.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... 3.html?m=1

They had a memorial at one of their games after,
and posted Ron’s Laxpower handle and Einstein
And, he did live long enough to see that great run by
Stony Brook, I was happy about that.
thanks for this. yes, he did get to see them up in the majors.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think it was imp a UMass fan who was the lower case poster.
I had many good discussions with Artful Dodger.

I think perhaps we should search for other College founders who owned slaves, before singling out TJ and JH.
After all, even a state like NY didn't abolish slavery till 1800, and actually NY sort of grandfathered it out, so it wasn't really eliminated till 1830. Of course, some schools were founded before the revolutionary war, and the British generally allowed slavery in the colonies - (not to mention shipping a lot of them in. :lol: )

- and affluent people like college founders usually had slaves when it was allowed.
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

imp may have also.

here's an lp capture page where artful had started a thread om commotio cortis, his username in lower case.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090227081 ... m.php?f=23
mine always has been, too.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

As a new guy around here, it's quite nice to see the respect and genuine affection among the posters. A sign of a healthy community, as opposed to say, I dunno, twitter? Kudos to all of you who've been around here long enough for that.

As for JH himself, I have no doubt he was a complicated figure. But no one talks about one dimensional figures 150 years after their deaths.
Whatever his faults, and without doing any research, the positive aspects of his legacy dwarf the negatives. Put simply, the world is a better place today because JH lived and created the institution that is today's Johns Hopkins. Frankly, it seems to me that many of the most positively impactful historical figures were probably horrible human beings. You simply don't end up as a world historical figure by just being a good guy and a doting husband and father (or wife and mother for that matter). While we shouldn't shrink from acknowledging the sins of these types of people, we should rather focus on what actually made them exceptional (being a slaveholder wasn't particularly exceptional at the time) and how they affected/created the world in which we currently live.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:44 pm

interesting take.

there's one guy on these boards i give myself authority to say things however i want to here. within reason and rules, of course. hopefully, it never becomes 2.

we doing this everywhere? let me know, i just got done explaining to you (for some reason) why i get to react to other people's posts.
It was kidding, hope you can see it that way. You were far from out of bounds, just made me chuckle that we'd just discussed how we can sometimes get a little snippy with one another...and should perhaps cut one another a bit more slack.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

again, there's one guy that does not get slack. and as evidence again in a most recent exchange:
- he called himself out as a clown
- he will never take an L, even when he should
- he believes his own garbage, which is usually a narcissistic cluster
- he projects the above

anyway, i have tried to have a spot for the bs he has obviously had to go thru. i've never walked a mile in his shoes. however, he has not "evolved", and as a now toxic member and someone that should know better as he has been given some sense, experience and cerebrum... no slack.

he wants to ever have reasonable conversations, i'll consider.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Who’s the assclown?

There are actually lots of them here. Some have left.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Are we really discussing guys who have been dead for 160 to over 200 years and acting like we really know anything? It seems to me to be a reasonable social question to ask whether statues that appear to celebrate Confederate generals or schools to have the "Stars and Bars" as their symbol help perpetuate a beyond horrible attitude towards african americans and other minorities. I am not sure whether Johns Hopkins rises to that level especially given that he created a university/orphanage and a hospital. Ask 100 people on the street - at least 50 wouldn't have heard of him and the remaining people would say something about the hospital or maybe COVID stats keeping.

In lacrosse related news - the BIG women lacrosse coaches are apparently calling non conference opponents and telling them its a conference only schedule. No mention of Hopkins as being included or excluded from this club.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

FoodFight
FoodFight
94B47388-E821-48E9-BC6C-BF0BC3928158.jpeg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Because the foot-long was much bigger than she had been led to expect?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:04 pm Because the foot-long was much bigger than she had been led to expect?
:lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Or maybe because the six incher left her unsatisfied?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the following tweet is the proper understanding of the university of maryland.

Patrick Stevens @D1scourseTime to make an annual plea. Maryland and Rutgers --- who today contest Cable Subscribers Bowl VII --- need to play for a disconnected cable box or a miniature satellite dish. Slap an I-95 logo on it and you have a traveling trophy like no other.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

From now on, I guess I should stick to cat memes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

ZoomCat
ZoomCat
E2233078-2B53-4643-9084-B175BA83DADE.jpeg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
old salt

Post by old salt »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:33 pm the following tweet is the proper understanding of the university of maryland.

Patrick Stevens @D1scourseTime to make an annual plea. Maryland and Rutgers --- who today contest Cable Subscribers Bowl VII --- need to play for a disconnected cable box or a miniature satellite dish. Slap an I-95 logo on it and you have a traveling trophy like no other.
Another classic B1G rivalry trophy. Watch out Floyd of Rosedale.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”