WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Bingo.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gonna get a new mascot too?
These are quick and vicious fighters, might be a good choice.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

No, BLOOMBERG U not BLOOMSBURG U (https://www.bloomu.edu/). Why do people insist on putting an "s" in the name? There is no "s"!!!
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Yale and Princeton also have slave-owning founders but you don't see a big woke protest going on there either. You have to understand that Liberal Elites who run these universities are much smarter than everyone else. They see the clear picture that common folk like me would never understand. It is one thing to tear down a few statues built in the 1920's, but a whole different story when you are talking about changing names like Yale and Hopkins. If they feel that a name change at any of these institutions would cost one dime in precious alumni donations they won't change a thing. Time will tell.
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:33 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:09 am
Hoponboard wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 am
primitiveskills wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:02 pm Maybe we can start a contest on this board for the new university name?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ed-people/
Maybe, we should drop Hopkins and make Johns possessive. John’s University would never get mispronounced.
We need a new name that is more inclusive and encompasses everything. East and West. Out with JHU.

Occidentally Oriental University

If something happens and someone is to blame, we can call it an Occident.
Good one. But why not get in front of this skeletons in the closet business and go whole wombat? Call it Woke University. There is already Wake Forest University, so make it Woke Gardens U. in honor of nearby Sherwood Gardens.
Good!

I’m still trying to come up with a good acronym.

OOU has some potential. Maybe for cheerleading.

O-O-U!
O-O-U!
Where the girls are girls,
And the guys are too!
How about PJ's U
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:20 pm Yale and Princeton also have slave-owning founders but you don't see a big woke protest going on there either. You have to understand that Liberal Elites who run these universities are much smarter than everyone else. They see the clear picture that common folk like me would never understand. It is one thing to tear down a few statues built in the 1920's, but a whole different story when you are talking about changing names like Yale and Hopkins. If they feel that a name change at any of these institutions would cost one dime in precious alumni donations they won't change a thing. Time will tell.
the Presidents of Ivy League schools report to their white male donors who have generational wealth. Daniels reports to the DC/baltimore city hill/admin staff who do the appropriating of research funds+write tax laws.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Another consideration might be the Mandrill, could keep the black and blue with that too.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm thanks. i looked into him a bit earlier this year as a clown or 2 was beating on TJ and on a high horse and comparing johns.

thought some things didn't naturally square and if it turned out that was the case, might be coming for him.
Complete nonsense.

The most important passage from Daniel’s note:

What influenced Mr. Hopkins’ move from being a slaveholder in the mid-1800s to incorporating terms into his 1873 will that specified access to the hospital for all races and created an orphanage for Black children?
What more is there to learn about Mr. Hopkins’ support for President Lincoln and the Union during the Civil War and can any of that support be fairly traced to his having developed “anti-slavery” views in the later part of his life?

I don’t think it’s shocking that Johns Hopkins was a more complicated (and obviously very imperfect) man. If he did indeed own slaves, that is not to be forgiven. There were plenty of people even in the 18th century who knew slavery was immoral and evil, needless to mention mid-19th century America.

But he apparently evolved and improved on the issue of slavery and African Americans in general. He left money for what he must have known would be a state-of-the-art hospital, and he ensured African Americans would have access to its services. He apparently had no slaves in 1860, immediately before the Civil War. He supported Lincoln and the Union. Does that excuse anything he did before? Heck no. But he evolved.

We don’t see any evolution in Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson clearly knew he fathered children with Sally Hemings. After all, he eventually freed his children. But he never freed Hemings or the vast majority of his slaves. He left them to be sold as chattel.

I’m sure more uncomfortable information will come out about Johns Hopkins the man.

As an alumnus, I know how flawed even our university was. More than a century after Johns Hopkins had died, my biophysics adviser opened his first meeting with me by asking this question:

“How do you feel about competing with white students?”

What a bastard.

All any of us can do is hope and help people evolve.

Some will. Too many won’t.

DocBarrister :?
lmao. there's one of them. keep writing narratives (that you quite obviously know next to nothing about). when will you eventually be correct?
Will Evolve: 0
Won’t Evolve: 1

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

I hope you answered him with just one word, Doc.
Superior.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm thanks. i looked into him a bit earlier this year as a clown or 2 was beating on TJ and on a high horse and comparing johns.

thought some things didn't naturally square and if it turned out that was the case, might be coming for him.
Funny thing about beating on TJ. I have heard that Anthony Hopkins is on-screen for only 16 minutes in the Silence of the Lambs. Similarly, in David McCullough's John Adams, TJ is a huge presence. The way I recall the book, it seems as if Adams, with his earnest, Yankee virtue is overshadowed by the easy brilliance of BF and TJ in Paris, and then later by TJ in England, leading to their political rivalry. We might prefer the example of Adams, but comparatively speaking, TJ was huge. We need both.

“You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”
interesting take.
i've found there's very little depth in critical assessment by many folks on a range of issues and people. historical figures included. shallow absorption and maybe just an expedited need in today's busy world to work through a singular source or 2 of cliff notes. not really forming an educated opinion so much as adopting one from somewhere. often that might also stem from a narcissistic need to elevate oneself's altruistic ego. or is it id?

anyway, johns hopkins was no doubt also a powerful force. i don't know about the force of his personality, but as is the case with many who managed to move the needle then and now, complicated. much more so than a release or an email or a census report. maybe a dearth of media is why it took so long to get to this point. were there many books or accounts written about him still around from the times?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Why do you not use capital letters?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:45 am Why do you not use capital letters?
i don't like to shout.

a laxpower poster i respected had passed away, stony brook fan. years out, i don't recall his handle and i never met him. tom? if anyone remembers it, i'd appreciate being reminded of not just his handle but all that he did for stony and lax. but he handled himself with more class than i ever could with his posts, and i knew he did a bunch in his community. so i started typing in (almost) all small caps, as he had done.

found it helps with texting, too.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:28 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:45 am Why do you not use capital letters?
i don't like to shout.

a laxpower poster i respected had passed away, stony brook fan. years out, i don't recall his handle and i never met him. tom? if anyone remembers it, i'd appreciate being reminded of not just his handle but all that he did for stony and lax. but he handled himself with more class than i ever could with his posts, and i knew he did a bunch in his community. so i started typing in (almost) all small caps, as he had done.

Artful Dodger
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:33 am
i don't like to shout.

Artful Dodger
nice. thanks.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, that was a little scary! Knew about Artful Dodger (although he was before my time) but when reading the post I immediately thought about Chairman Of The Board who is also a Stony Brook fan (pretty sure) and uses all lower case.
Whew!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

i don't like to shout.

Artful Dodger-Ron something
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 am ...
interesting take.
i've found there's very little depth in critical assessment by many folks on a range of issues and people. historical figures included. shallow absorption and maybe just an expedited need in today's busy world to work through a singular source or 2 of cliff notes. not really forming an educated opinion so much as adopting one from somewhere. y books or accounts written about him still around from the times?
That's because deep critical assessment typically requires logic, cognitive effort, and even worse, math. And those are all racist. :lol:
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/12/10/centenni ... ll-winter/
no centennial sports this winter. I bet they cancel the spring stuff too. No reason to play there. b1g has $ on the line tho.
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/12/08/snf-agor ... s-revised/
-this thing, the new hotel off campus, the $400 million new student center, the redone rec center, the newseum, the new $400 million hospital building, $1.8 billion bloomberg bucks. Daniels is earning that california estate. Google tells me towsons entire endowment is $90 million.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:07 am
“You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”
You would need to pick your 500 years carefully though, because the great mathematicians of the 1700s, the Bernoullis and Euler were Swiss. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

i don't like to shout.

e e cummings
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”