Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

Thank you sir!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Busy food prep day yesterday. With two eggplants I could have made ratatouille, eggplant caviar, but went with babaganoush. After roasting on sheet pan I removed skin and chopped with knife and placed in strainer over bowl to remove bitter liquid over a 24hr period. Then mixed with tahini, garlic, cumin, S&P, OO, lemon juice. Now that’s vegan.

I also had some small cocktail tomatoes that were getting old. For this I like to oven dry them. On the same sheet pan I used for eggplant covered with parchment paper. I cut these small tomatoes in half and place in bowl with OOand seasoning. Place the coins of T on the sheet pan and roast at low temp for several hours. I generally used 200F, but if in a rush you could go 300F. You could reduce tomatoes modestly or let’s hydrate more where there almost like candy. Great to use in pasta dishes, bruschetta, salads. Keep in a container in OO. The best tomato to use for this application are Roma tomatoes which has fewer seeds and water and can be cut into fairly uniform 3/4” coins.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

ive done the baba and ratatouille- have not done eggplant caviar.

last night i made caribbean beans, for the first time with an overnight soak. a lot of time but worth the effort. 24 hours and still took 90min to cook at a full boil, and still al dente.

tonight is a polish dish, bigos- a hunters stew (not vegan): https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13813 ... ters-stew/

speaking of, i better get moving this...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ardilla secreta

Last night I made a batch of pancit bihon. Anyone know the appropriate garnish for this dish without a look up?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Know the appropriate garnish without a look up?
How 'bout, know the dish without a look up?

Q: What do you call two Filipino aviators?
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 am Know the appropriate garnish without a look up?
How 'bout, know the dish without a look up?

Q: What do you call two Filipino aviators?
Well, you’re getting warm...what?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Had no idea what the dish is, let alone the garnish, had to look it up.

Little story about the aviators. When I first got on recruiting duty at NRD Newark, I had to work at the main office/hdqtrs for about three months before going into the field. Worked out great, got to know everyone (including the little hottie Mrs. McConnell, the nurse recruiter. Was a Ltjg). Checked everyone's paperwork to make sure all the Is were dotted and Ts were crossed. Pretty much everyone had to come there for some reason or another at some point, including Chief McFarlane several times. My desk was right next to Chief Rozul's, a Filipino. Was a super good guy, got along great with him. You probably know Filipinos just can't say Fs, come out as Ps. Every time (and I do mean every time) Cheif McFarlane came to the office you knew he was there as you could here him hollar from across the room, "Chief Rozul, what do you call two Filipino aviators?"

A pair a pliers.
Chief Roz would laugh his asz off every time (me too)...was just some funny stuff, had to be there I guess. Naturally, I think of that every time anything Filipino comes up.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

when i've made filipino food the past i've added gado gado (salad), which is more indonesian: https://www.google.com/search?q=gado+ga ... twIR2_7FpM

a few weeks ago i made murtabak. it was pretty good but a lot of work. the filipino may spell it martabak. it's more malay but it's a meat-filled pancake. not vegan! https://snapguide.com/guides/make-savor ... -murtabak/
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ardilla secreta

Calamansi is the appropriate garnish. It’s a ping pong sized citrus fruit with a lime colored rind. Sort of tastes like a mix of lime and orange. Squeeze it over the noodles like you would squeeze lime over pad Thai. I’ve seen fresh calamansi in Asian markets and regularly buy canned juice which is quite tasty.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Jumped this from the Politics thread.
6ftstick wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:24 am Frozen Pizza sales in March 2020 up 92% same period of 2019.

Create your own. Cook it on a stone. Healthier. Cheaper. Simple. Add your own toppings. Tasty!

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Made a peach cobbler for breakfast/snack time ~ Yum, yum, yummy!

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-peach-cobbler

It's the old story you've heard many times over the years - life's simple pleasures are best.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice, Brooks.
Check this one out, right up your alley and simple make. Looks mighty tasty, gonna have to try this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0Pk8UBKsQ
ChairmanOfTheBoard

looks good brooks!

nigel- i made one last night, but i've been feeding a sourdough starter for just over a week now. i used the discard to make the dough. came out good- didnt rise great, but it did rise nevertheless. i can't say it tasted different than dried yeast but it certainly smells tangy.

i'll make a sourdough loaf in the next few days with the actual starter and see how that goes. it's too much perspective, really...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooks, must've been back at the old LP you mentioned making a buttermilk pie (can't find it anywhere here). Made my first one today, turned out great, pretty tasty. Can taste that touch of lemon in it...very nice touch. Very simple to make, definitely worth the effort.
ardilla secreta

Peach cobbler beats my Jello lemon pudding that I found in my basement pantry, exp date 2015, which means it was bought in 2013. What could happen to powdered pudding? It came out well enough that on my next trip to the market I bought a chocolate and tapioca Jello boxes and milk. I did find some canned peaches, so maybe a small cobbler in the works.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:04 pm Brooks, must've been back at the old LP you mentioned making a buttermilk pie (can't find it anywhere here). Made my first one today, turned out great, pretty tasty. Can taste that touch of lemon in it...very nice touch. Very simple to make, definitely worth the effort.

Yup. You did follow my advice to take lemon zest (grated rind) and adding to the mix. So simple and yet it adds a lot of flavor. Kudos to you for remembering that little tip. Glad you enjoyed the pie.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Has anybody been enjoying spring foods like fiddlehead ferns, creasy greens or harvesting wild ramps?

I always have fiddlehead ferns in the spring and have been available at Wegman’s. I’ve seen ramps, but it’s not cool to dig them up at a wildlife refuge. Been awhile since I’ve seen fresh or canned creasy greens and in both instances would be in WV.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty much everything in this video is pretty cool, this guy is good.
Click on at 3:04 and check those legs out. Serve those up with some
dipping sauces and that's a pretty cool looking dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0b3cFKBHs&t=366s
My attempt with pie crust dough. Was pretty good, think
the puff pastry dough is a game changer though, will get some.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh my, my my, this is really good for the taste buds.
From the kitchen of DMacdeutscheboy.
Wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, little mushroom gravy....c'mon.
As good as the little joint's on Schone Titten Strasse in Kitzingen.
:mrgreen:
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm Oh my, my my, this is really good for the taste buds.
From the kitchen of DMacdeutscheboy.
Wienerschnitzel, spaetzle, little mushroom gravy....c'mon.
As good as the little joint's on Schone Titten Strasse in Kitzingen.
:mrgreen:
Well done, that looks amazing, almost like the Wienerschnitzel at the famous Zum Stammtisch in Glendale Queens!!

Joe

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”