Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by jhu06 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:46 am
This is potentially huge if the UNC biz school won't wave the admission standard of professional experience (have to wonder how much he's even interned if he's graduating in three years). I wonder what schools are even on his radar. I have to imagine he'd try to avoid ACC, Ivy and Patriot leagues are off the table for grad transfers. Options start to get scarce for a top flight b-school with a lacrosse team with legitimate tournament aspirations.
my pal did 4 years as an artillery officer in afghanistan before he entered that mba program. No way a kid who laxes for 3 years should get in. Hopkins MA programs are very differently operated for undergrads. SAIS can be competitive but the rest they just admit you.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s just a waste of the bullet. Obviously people do MBAs for a million reasons these days and they’ve sprawled to service all of this to their own detriment (IMO), but business school (MBA) is about career change and training people with some work experience (3-7yrs) to become middle management effectively. Obviously a good chunk are doing A to A ibanking or related financial services these days (perhaps why so many strong producers are horrible at being line of business managers perhaps).

For a lot though it’s something like: “I spent 6yrs in finance at Texas Instruments and want to do either corporate development or lower key banking” (this was a guy I met at a thing held by M&T bank who was invited for this nice post MBA Mgt Rotational program, has done 6yrs at TI in Dallas and was married with a kid and wanted something different and was in B school at Carnegie Mellon and interested in doing middle market banking in western NY as a lifestyle and change or profession)

Or “Spent a number of years working in corp jobs out of generic good but not great college with some modest upward movement but not a path I like long term or no clear path for real vertical movement for me so I’ll go learn some stuff, build a network of like minded people there and try to make a professional change in my life”.

Just going at 21-23, no experience to draw upon whatsoever and a cohort of classmates who are 27-35 with a spectrum of experiences is a waste because you can’t cash that career change ticket in later when you might want or need it
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

This is potentially huge if the UNC biz school won't wave the admission standard of professional experience (have to wonder how much he's even interned if he's graduating in three years). I wonder what schools are even on his radar. I have to imagine he'd try to avoid ACC, Ivy and Patriot leagues are off the table for grad transfers. Options start to get scarce for a top flight b-school with a lacrosse team with legitimate tournament aspirations.
I am clearly not an expert on MBA admissions, but are you telling me that no one gets admitted to UNC's MBA program without some real work experience? This young man graduates in three years from your institution as a student-athlete and he has to go elsewhere because he doesn't have a year of "work" experience. My faith in higher education diminishes more with each passing day.
molo

Post by molo »

Don’t know a thing about business but I assume the key word here is “business.”
renault

Post by renault »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:25 pm
I am clearly not an expert on MBA admissions, but are you telling me that no one gets admitted to UNC's MBA program without some real work experience? This young man graduates in three years from your institution as a student-athlete and he has to go elsewhere because he doesn't have a year of "work" experience. My faith in higher education diminishes more with each passing day.
Even if he was admitted, attending would be a waste of time, money, and his one MBA opportunity. Much better to just transfer to a school with a BS (BS meaning bullsh*t, not bachelor of science) one-year management degree. Duke, UVA, and Notre Dame all have one.
Live for lax!!!

Post by Live for lax!!! »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Small thing but by Junior year Justin ascot had fully transitioned to midfield. Granted Hobart has often had 4-5 attack on the field on offense last couple of years but last two years Scott had become a consummate two way player and should be thought of as a midfielder
bananas

Post by bananas »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm Small thing but by Junior year Justin ascot had fully transitioned to midfield. Granted Hobart has often had 4-5 attack on the field on offense last couple of years but last two years Scott had become a consummate two way player and should be thought of as a midfielder
Sent
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm Small thing but by Junior year Justin ascot had fully transitioned to midfield. Granted Hobart has often had 4-5 attack on the field on offense last couple of years but last two years Scott had become a consummate two way player and should be thought of as a midfielder
Sure fire guy that can have success at A or M. Not sure where Delaware will play him. Will be fun to see him in that O with Kitchen and Kurtz.
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:56 am
Getting an MBA with no work experience is a waste of the bullet. I understand he’s extending his lacrosse career but would be better doing a graduate program tangential like Ms of Finance, accounting, etc.
Agree w/ this. A masters in accounting would be a lot more valuable in the the future than an MBA w/o work experience.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Syracuse attackman Stephen Rehfuss has just entered the transfer portal this morning, according to multiple sources. The redshirt 5th-year player led the Orange with 18 assists in 5 games last season.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

What in the world is that about? That's a weird one.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Per IL:

Additionally, sources tell IL that Rehfuss may not be the only noteworthy Syracuse player to seek a transfer prior to the spring season. Those sources say that the players' consideration is part of an ongoing disciplinary appeals process resulting from an apparent violation of COVID-19 safety protocols.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Woof

Sounds like some pretty harsh punishments for COVID rules breaking up at Cuse.

"Ongoing disciplinary appeals" sounds like he and others were suspended for the 2021 season. Only reason I can think of they'd explore transfer options this late in the game

Rehfuss can't go to Ivy or PL as a grad student and won't stay in ACC so that pretty much leaves Big Ten and a few others (Nova, GTown, Denver, etc.). Maybe he slots in as Ament's replacement in Happy Valley
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

I agree and disagree with the comments on the MBA. Yes, you wouldn't have much to contribute from a group discussion standpoint. Yet, you are still learning concepts that you will draw from in the future.

Also, an MBA can be a check the box thing in the future when he is moving to the next level to VP. MBA, yes, check. Good. You got the job.

THere are many reasons to get additional education, and if it is funded as part of playing lacrosse, why not.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 am I agree and disagree with the comments on the MBA. Yes, you wouldn't have much to contribute from a group discussion standpoint. Yet, you are still learning concepts that you will draw from in the future.

Also, an MBA can be a check the box thing in the future when he is moving to the next level to VP. MBA, yes, check. Good. You got the job.

THere are many reasons to get additional education, and if it is funded as part of playing lacrosse, why not.
So true. At my company it’s a check box and if you’re school overall has a good name it’s an increase for your starting salary.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Surfs_Up wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 am I agree and disagree with the comments on the MBA. Yes, you wouldn't have much to contribute from a group discussion standpoint. Yet, you are still learning concepts that you will draw from in the future.

It’s not a binary get or don’t get additional education. It’s like treating “house money” as worth less than earned/contributed capital. A concept he will get in behavioral finance. Could keep the MBA chip, perhaps with it getting fronted by a future employer so as free even. I just see it as cashing in a singular finite chip to cheaply, regardless of present value cash cost of obtaining.

There are other tangential finance and accounting (many 1yr) masters programs that can get a kid a bump out of college and get “more bang for your buck” with zero experience than an MBA with zero experience.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

No one is a bigger Lacrosse fan than me and I guess if your parents are ok spending the money, but at some point don’t you have ask why are you playing College lacrosse for 6 years?

Its not like D1 Football or basketball where you are going for free!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Blackdoglax wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am No one is a bigger Lacrosse fan than me and I guess if your parents are ok spending the money, but at some point don’t you have ask why are you playing College lacrosse for 6 years?

Its not like D1 Football or basketball where you are going for free!
How are you? Hoping to get some lacrosse games in this Spring.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Blackdoglax wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am ...but at some point don’t you have ask why are you playing College lacrosse for 6 years?...
I hear you. Personally, I just wanted to play lacrosse. Winning a national c'ship, playing at the top-level, being an AA, etc. wasn't even a thought. (in hindsight, i do wish that i thought more about the level of play but that's an aside.) i just wanted to play lacrosse. (this includes not wanting to sit on a bench.) and after i graduated college, i still felt the same. i just enjoy playing. for others, it is very different. i want to say that i'm not judging but... i am. that i'm trying not to judge is probably more accurate. bottomline, different people have different ambitions.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”