Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:50 pm Agreed, but defenders of the voting system could argue that their way would have allowed the 2007 championship to be awarded to the team with the best body of work.
Oh, just fook dook and the whole universe they came from. Taking out ads saying “National Championship”. What a damn joke. And don’t forget the pregame delay of game parade.
the difference between duke+hopkins is that the student managers on the mens basketball team are a bigger deal there to students than the danowskis.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Got one more for the prior page since you asked:
A688E941-CC46-414C-BAF2-79398757F7C4.jpeg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:31 pm Well, yeah. Back then Hopkins usually went undefeated or lost at most one or two games.

So, it was easy to “be in the conversation” regarding who’s in the running to be champ.

Still, voting for a champ sucks.
Though as a rule the vote was perfunctory as the best team for the season was obvious...
And matchups during the season could be quite significant. The Jays last collegiate game was almost always with the Hyattsville Turtles and often had a significant impact on the success of the season. That's why those games were so often SRO. Now these games are rather ho hum ! The passion is no longer there.
Anyway... :?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 pm Amazing how much of our fanbase was not even alive in 1970.
10%?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:48 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:31 pm Well, yeah. Back then Hopkins usually went undefeated or lost at most one or two games.

So, it was easy to “be in the conversation” regarding who’s in the running to be champ.

Though as a rule the vote was perfunctory as the best team for the season was obvious...
And matchups during the season could be quite significant. The Jays last collegiate game was almost always with the Hyattsville Turtles and often had a significant impact on the success of the season. That's why those games were so often SRO. Now these games are rather ho hum ! The passion is no longer there.
There was a critical moment when Kimmel was there, not blaming him BTW, late 2000s, when it was realized, with the expansion of the NC$$ tournament field, not every regular season game had to be a life or death situation in terms of intensity.

The B1G and its AQ made that worse.

Coupled with all the ER and recruiting failures, the bloom fell completely off the rose in the 2010s.
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

The choice was less obvious in 1958 when Hopkins was undefeated in collegiate play, but lost to Mt. Washington. Army was voted champ that year. Thereafter, championships could be shared.
smoova

Post by smoova »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 pm Amazing how much of our fanbase was not even alive in 1970.
10%?
Well played.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

smoova wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:36 pm
10%?
Well played.
At the rate things have been going, probably less.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:57 pm

There was a critical moment when Kimmel was there, not blaming him BTW, late 2000s, when it was realized, with the expansion of the NC$$ tournament field, not every regular season game had to be a life or death situation in terms of intensity.

The B1G and its AQ made that worse.

Coupled with all the ER and recruiting failures, the bloom fell completely off the rose in the 2010s.
we've discussed student attendance before. Games on tv, games in february, dumping navy/uva for ohio state which doesn't draw as well, the teams lackluster play, the different makeup of the student body. Whatever the case whenever we return to play you're going to have a student body and young alumni base-pretty much no one under 32 or so who has seen Hopkins lacrosse as a regular at championship weekend while a student or young alum+the athletic department is going to have to make a serious effort along with milliman to reengage the new generation of student body+fans+alumni because if you're 21-29 Hopkins lacrosse success and the magic of an april saturday night of a packed homewood w/a top 5 game, a memorial day weekend are things that are just history to you. Winning will help, but Petro never really made an effort to connect w/the student body and Milliman needs to.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:04 pm we've discussed student attendance before.
Yes and every time it's brought up people like you just ignore the fact that Hopkins is still in the top 5 for per-game attendance every single season. The drop-off in attendance, particularly by students, is a problem across the whole of D1 college lacrosse—except at maybe Loyola, where some students still enjoy getting sh*tfaced before making the trip to Ridley. I've gone to games at Towson, Maryland, Princeton, Rutgers, UVA, etc...their students aren't really going to games either.

Nice weather rivalry games + Homecoming = the students will come out. Everything else, just not going to happen. Winning may help, but probably not that much. It is what it is. Don't see it changing much for us or anyone else.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Did he try to connect with the Cornell student body while there? If so, how? What were the results?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:04 pm we've discussed student attendance before.
Yes and every time it's brought up people like you just ignore the fact that Hopkins is still in the top 5 for per-game attendance every single season. The drop-off in attendance, particularly by students, is a problem across the whole of D1 college lacrosse—except at maybe Loyola, where some students still enjoy getting sh*tfaced before making the trip to Ridley. I've gone to games at Towson, Maryland, Princeton, Rutgers, UVA, etc...their students aren't really going to games either.

Nice weather rivalry games + Homecoming = the students will come out. Everything else, just not going to happen. Winning may help, but probably not that much. It is what it is. Don't see it changing much for us or anyone else.
i'd imagine if hop is ever a top 5 team again, regularly... balto would be out for big games. wouldn't matter if neuroscience majors made it out.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:48 pm i'd imagine if hop is ever a top 5 team again, regularly... balto would be out for big games. wouldn't matter if neuroscience majors made it out.
To some degree but it will never be the same - Hopkins was ranked #2 and undefeated in 2012 when Syracuse came to Baltimore - a shade under 6,000 came to the game - though to be fair the students might have been all gone for Spring break. Even the Maryland game that year - with Hopkins 8-1 and ranked #3 didn't sell out and the week before the Albany game barely drew 1,600 people. I'm old enough to remember the '74 home game against maryland where people were climbing light posts to see the game and parking was virtually impossible. The oft posted picture of Joe Cowan shows the standard 3-4 deep around the entire fence. So many things are different:
- TV/Streaming/Social Media
- Proliferation of kids sports on week-ends precluding dads attending with or without the kids
- Cold weather - February early march games
- Diversity of the Hopkins student body - that's not a bad thing except for lacrosse attendance - over half the student body has virtually no cultural association with lacrosse at all
- Home lacrosse games used to the 5 or 6 social events of the entire year because you didn't have laptops/cell phones/Twitter/Instagram/etc.
- Small urban campus - Hopkins - even if it wanted to - would have trouble making the games an "event" for students and alumni. Except for the HOF parents lot - there is zero tailgating - do you think 100,000 people (in a normal year) go to Ohio Stadium or Beaver Stadium or wherever just to watch the game/ especially the students? Tell them the event is 100% dry and no alcohol or tailgating and you'll find out who really cares about the football or basketball game.
molo

Post by molo »

BJ since ‘47 has me beat, but I’m guessing I’m the second oldest regular poster on this board. On this date in 1970 I was still single—but just for a couple more weeks—and about a month away from winding up my penultimate semester as an undergrad at UVA. This forum helps me keep in touch with the younger generation.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:48 pm i'd imagine if hop is ever a top 5 team again, regularly... balto would be out for big games. wouldn't matter if neuroscience majors made it out.
To some degree but it will never be the same - Hopkins was ranked #2 and undefeated in 2012 when Syracuse came to Baltimore - a shade under 6,000 came to the game - though to be fair the students might have been all gone for Spring break. Even the Maryland game that year - with Hopkins 8-1 and ranked #3 didn't sell out and the week before the Albany game barely drew 1,600 people. I'm old enough to remember the '74 home game against maryland where people were climbing light posts to see the game and parking was virtually impossible. The oft posted picture of Joe Cowan shows the standard 3-4 deep around the entire fence. So many things are different:
- Proliferation of kids sports on week-ends precluding dads attending with or without the kids
- Diversity of the Hopkins student body - that's not a bad thing except for lacrosse attendance - over half the student body has virtually no cultural association with lacrosse at all
- Home lacrosse games used to the 5 or 6 social events of the entire year because you didn't have laptops/cell phones/Twitter/Instagram/etc.
- Small urban campus - Hopkins - even if it wanted to - would have trouble making the games an "event" for students and alumni. Except for the HOF parents lot - there is zero tailgating - do you think 100,000 people (in a normal year) go to Ohio Stadium or Beaver Stadium or wherever just to watch the game/ especially the students? Tell them the event is 100% dry and no alcohol or tailgating and you'll find out who really cares about the football or basketball game.
my first game was albany home 03, we had a blizzard the week before, the old astroturf, sat in the sun on north side. Loved it. Had the joe mcdermott schedule poster on my dorm wall.

There's no substitute for the human connection. Milliman should be out there engaging alumni, students, hopkins staff-who get free tickets-I think everyone who works for Hopkins gets free tickets to every game and all 18,000 currently enrolled students do as well. Helping w/move in to meet freshmen, inviting dorms to clc to tour the facility. Lot of ways to engage+build the community.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Milliman, grant, jameson could've been zooming into alumni clubs around the country, student body. 45 minutes, tell Millimans story, field some questions. Sell the program to the faithful. press/alumni tour. Renew the spirit.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:47 pm Helping w/move in to meet freshmen
They have literally been doing this for decades
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

JHU, Towson, Maryland, Princeton, Rutgers, UVA... and Yale. "Winning may help," but I noticed a definite drop-off in Yale student attendance from 2017 to 2018; go figure.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:31 pm

JHU, Towson, Maryland, Princeton, Rutgers, UVA... and Yale. "Winning may help," but I noticed a definite drop-off in Yale student attendance from 2017 to 2018; go figure.
Back in the day the team had individual players that were worth the price of admission. They had guys who could just put on a show. Maybe Epstein is that guy moving forward and if the team is fun, read NOT FRUSTRATING, to watch my guess is the fans start to come out again. The great players used to play great and the good players played well...the team didn't shoot itself in the foot and it was just quality play across the board supporting some guys who could make your jaw drop. Epstein needs a quality group around him and I'm betting people will show up to see what the new staff can do with this team. If they play well, word of mouth will fill the stands again.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:55 pm
i don't think people need to be climbing lightpoles for it to be a different environment. b1g like all conferences schedule games (night, sundays, varying afternoon times) that won't conflict with every youth game scheduled. there are a lot of lax fans in balto, that love and "hate" hop. think the maryland game you mentioned.

they could start with the "reserved seating" that was prescient in social distancing rules being tossed.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”