Notre Dame
9%
Duke
48%

Total votes: 58

xxxxxxx

Re: ACC 2019

Post by xxxxxxx »

walker wrote:Bottom line: He knew the rules of the road and chose to do otherwise. In the real world, actions have real consequences. Suck it up and move on. Outside warm and safe college fantasy - it gets worse - fired, jail or dead.
Really? Fired jail or dead because a kid is academically ineligible? You should see my transcript. Kind of my point of how we eat our own, wow.
walker

Post by walker »

Of course I didn’t mean that. After 58 Years on the planet, I’ve had my share of great success as well as cringe worthy screw ups and worse. In hindsight, my failures all were rooted in my ego/pride. I have compassion for this kid, like I said, he knew the rules of the road and chose not to take care of business - that’s ego. Hopefully, he’ll learn from it and move forward. I ALWAYS have learned more from failures - life has a great way of smoothing out the rough edges. Lacrosse is a team sport, the loss of one player, allows others too step up and shine. As a general rule, college lacrosse is light years ahead of D1 Football and Basketball - underpaid semi-pro leagues, primarily used for entertainment/marketing value to suck money out of alumni. Lacrosse offers the opportunity to play a beautiful sport @ the highest level and actually get an education without the illusion and pressure of millions of dollars at the end.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

walker wrote:Of course I didn’t mean that. After 58 Years on the planet, I’ve had my share of great success as well as cringe worthy screw ups and worse. In hindsight, my failures all were rooted in my ego/pride. I have compassion for this kid, like I said, he knew the rules of the road and chose not to take care of business - that’s ego. Hopefully, he’ll learn from it and move forward. I ALWAYS have learned more from failures - life has a great way of smoothing out the rough edges. Lacrosse is a team sport, the loss of one player, allows others too step up and shine. As a general rule, college lacrosse is light years ahead of D1 Football and Basketball - underpaid semi-pro leagues, primarily used for entertainment/marketing value to suck money out of alumni. Lacrosse offers the opportunity to play a beautiful sport @ the highest level and actually get an education without the illusion and pressure of millions of dollars at the end.

Fair enough, I understand. it just bums me out that young men who make mistakes become front page news on the sites I look at, but they also are on the front page when they do great things. So I guess it's part of the deal when you sign on. I also can't confirm it was his ego that caused his ineligibility, it could have been many things and outsiders like me will never know. I wish him well as I do for every player out there, it's a bumpy road hang on.
dense

Post by dense »

wgdsr wrote:not automatic, you get 5 to play 4 and it's not a suspension that takes a year away. but if he played in a fall scrimmage, he's done.

hope whatever his next step is, things go his way. i know a lot of kids idolize his play.

not sure that is correct as they have changed some eligibility rules regarding scrimmages, know they now allow frosh to play in scrimmages without losing their ability to redshirt

Would think that change extends to all classes
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

that would be great if true, the rule as constituted never really seemed equitable. division 2 and maybe 3 allowed it.
i was gonna say unless they changed the rule this year.... however, any search for it before my post just turned up the new football rule several pages in.

if you have a link or could more easily find, i'd appreciate it.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

molo

Post by molo »

Hard to bet against Duke as number one. UVA is better, but how much. Is SU overrated because of the name or underrated? ND was overrated before losing their biggest offensive threat. UNC just lost their projected top cover guy. All five teams are good. Not one is flawless. My preseason rankings:1. Duke, 2. UVA, 3. SU, 4. UNC, 5. ND.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

molo wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 pm Hard to bet against Duke as number one. UVA is better, but how much. Is SU overrated because of the name or underrated? ND was overrated before losing their biggest offensive threat. UNC just lost their projected top cover guy. All five teams are good. Not one is flawless. My preseason rankings:1. Duke, 2. UVA, 3. SU, 4. UNC, 5. ND.
Hoo would be the most overrated team in the ACC now?
Live Free or Die!
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

It should be interesting how Notre Dame adjusts without Ryder for the most part of the season. I would expect them to be alright considering they bring in a top recruiting class each year. I’m sure there are a bunch of studs who haven’t shined yet in college but have the potential to do so on ND's roster. The same could also be said about everyone in the ACC as well...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sounds ominously like Grant Ament last year. Foot injuries are tough to recover from.

If he's out for an extended period of time, Joe Robertson might have to grow up very quickly and become more than a finisher. Smith and Guterding accounted for a combined 83 assists.
molo

Post by molo »

Major loss for Duke. Hope he recovers soon.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

How many bids does this league end up getting in 2019?

Two? Three? ... does anyone think more than three?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I like Virginia a lot. Opportunity for a Carolina sneak in here, imo. Without Garnsey ND is gonna struggle. That being said, sometimes with a central player like RG taking a seat, a team can see that less is more. It would be very cool to see an absolutely overpowering and dominant ND team, but a hot and cold Irish I can't take. Anything can happen with Duke, but I see a lot of sloppy play in their future. I don't see the 2019 Duke team inheriting the tradition Duke brain, so they'll have to make up for it with something else. If they can drill it on offense, they'll get the ugly wins.

I'd like to see Conrad and Kraus turn an ACC title into something more valuable. :D
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Hawkeye wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:45 pm How many bids does this league end up getting in 2019?

Still early. Just 2 losses. Duke has dropped games like this in the past.
Live Free or Die!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Cooter wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 pm
Hawkeye wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:45 pm How many bids does this league end up getting in 2019?

Yes, still early. I still expect Duke to get in. It's some of the rest of the league that I'm worried about.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Now, the league has losses to High Point, Loyola, and Colgate. Loyola is a power team in my view, so no issue there. But, Duke and Cuse have started off in a bad way. I don't see Carolina hanging with the teams that already have dropped games either. What has the ACC become!?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Now, the league has losses to High Point, Loyola, and Colgate. Loyola is a power team in my view, so no issue there. But, Duke and Cuse have started off in a bad way. I don't see Carolina hanging with the teams that already have dropped games either. What has the ACC become!?
If you held a gun to my head right now and asked me to predict who gets in from the ACC, I would say Duke and Virginia... maybe a third team. Definitely looks like a down year for the ACC compared to where they have been for the last 10-15 years (as long as I have been following the sport).
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

It is a sad state of affairs when the 2 teams you predict will make the tournament have already lost. Time will tell, but it is already an interesting season and the season just started.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 am It is a sad state of affairs when the 2 teams you predict will make the tournament have already lost. Time will tell, but it is already an interesting season and the season just started.
It's been an interesting season indeed. Loyola and Denver are the best two teams that I've seen with my own eyes so far. Penn State has impressed, but there's been no way to actually watch them.

I expect that ACC will get it together, but these early non-conference games will cost them at least one bid (maybe two)... I'm sure of it. The days of the entire ACC making a 16 team tournament might be over for good. That is not a bad thing for this sport - and nothing against the ACC with that statement.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”