All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

foreverlax

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by foreverlax »

they think it doesn't matter because idiots have told them to just "live life" and it's their 'right' to not care about others.
Exactly....selfish people.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased.
You are hilariously assuming that EVERYONE thinks like you. You DO understand that Cuomo's health officials have numbers that assume how many people will ignore his orders, right? You DO know there's an entire field called "Public Health", right?

You seem to have all the answers. That's great. I have two questions:

1. what's an acceptable number of deaths from Covid? You want fewer controls and restrictions. That's great. But how many deaths are ok with you? What's the number? 300K dead? 400K? 500K?

2. If you were Cuomo, and you were responsible for the lives of not just the 19.7 million people in your State, but also the First Responders and Hospital workers who have deal with the consequences of your decisions? What would you have done? Gimme a rough outline.

This should be interesting. If you can't answer the two questions? You have NO place to complain.

The floor is yours.....
(crickets chirping)
Didn't Joe, just above, complain about me stating my opinions as if facts? :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:15 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm Someone is dying from covid every 35 seconds in this country from Covid right now. Our friends at UW are predicting that we will hit 470k deaths by March 1. I will call 400k a win.
joe has had enough of ihme's low projections. he's not even using old ones anymore and exaggerating those. today has us likely with 250,000 dead between now and january. says it's a fact.

i thought the election was over.
I have not checked their site. Just heard a talking head. As long as Joe ( I am assuming it’s Biden as I haven’t been following what he has said) doesn’t say it’s a hoax and testing makes him look bad, I don’t care what he says. I hope he doesn’t lie and then tell his biographer he lied about how deadly it is....
everybody has things that they're passionate about. i believe ihme will be up on april 1 projections soon, so be ready to be shocked in the next day or 2. they were at 415k by jan 1 at one point, and 450k for feb 1 at another. maybe we're outperforming their models. fingers crossed.
Indeed, fingers crossed.
If I'm not mistaken, the model 'changes' based on updated data inputs. They're always going to be "wrong" to some extent, but directionally they've been 'correct' about the variances based upon the behavioral inputs, right?

Right now, they have us hitting 415k by Feb 1 and 470k by March 1. But (Feb 1) there's a variance of 369K and 508K based on universal mask compliance and mandates easing assumptions. And a variance of 406k and 658k as of March 1.

Our takeaway shouldn't be about precision, it should be about variance potential based on behaviors. (Yes, JoeM, behaviors matter.)

As of today, they're running slightly behind the reported #'s of worldometer (280k deaths) and 272k projected for today by IHME.

But let's also remember, this is the model that was cited by Trump and crew last spring when it showed the virus going to zero by August (if distancing behaviors were universally maintained through the end of June). The dummies refused to understand the parenthetical. IHME then got more sophisticated in how they presented the projections based upon alternative scenarios of distancing, etc. Harder for the dummies to misunderstand.

Painfully, they've been far more 'right' than 'wrong'. In my opinion!! ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:02 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

That would really help get/keep schools open.
They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

To be overly simplistic: Close bars, open schools.
the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Hybrid, prioritizing the youngest in-person. Rotating older students.
As much as possible in tents outside. Lots of testing.
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
must be nice. perks for the elite.
hope grandma and grampa gilman are ok.
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

i really don't think you have any idea how that all sounds.
Did I say that wasn't a concern at Gilman???

Of course it is.
That's why all the efforts to try to keep the virus spread out of the classrooms. Testing, distancing, outside, etc. Hybrid, rotation.

Is it even more of an issue for poor communities, which have a higher likelihood of multiple-generational households in smaller environments? Of course.

Most families with the average means of Gilman families don't have multi-generational households like mine when my parents lived with us and my wife's older brother lived with us during the years my son was at Gilman. Unusual.

But Gilman also serves less well off families and it's definitely been a serious concern.
mdlax... on the one hand you say/advocate that schools can't be safely done.

on the other hand, you have (it looks like) actively supported your high end private school to do it.

right after attempting to shame someone on here. there is a word for that. sorry, but i have no filter on this subject.
wgdsr, you have this habit of picking fights with me, exaggerating what I've said.

I didn't say schooling can't be done safely. I have said it's hard, it's costly, and if you don't address that reality, you're in for trouble.

Who did I attempt to shame? I missed that. My response to Cooter???
Was I sharp or rude with him??

Or do you mean Joe?
missed this last night, sorry i'm guessing you wanted to hear back from me. above, this is what you said:
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

what i read from that:
reply to cooter on teachers, logistics.
grandma and grandpa at major risk is just a (the?) major issue with opening schools.
IF you close the bars, THEN you should/could be allowed to open the schools. except my school and orbit, we can do that for us. (i added that last part from subsequent conversation)

do you seriously believe there is anyone here, or more importantly at 10's of 1000's of school districts, that think it would be easy and inexpensive? or do you believe they're just incompetent fools? this was the conversation, and the directly above was your reply. i don't see any possible way i interpreted the last part wrong, but maybe you can clarify how that's way off. or i'm exaggerating. not sure i'll buy it, but i'm open.

so -- what does "To be overly simplistic: Close bars, open schools." mean?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:29 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:15 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm Someone is dying from covid every 35 seconds in this country from Covid right now. Our friends at UW are predicting that we will hit 470k deaths by March 1. I will call 400k a win.
joe has had enough of ihme's low projections. he's not even using old ones anymore and exaggerating those. today has us likely with 250,000 dead between now and january. says it's a fact.

i thought the election was over.
I have not checked their site. Just heard a talking head. As long as Joe ( I am assuming it’s Biden as I haven’t been following what he has said) doesn’t say it’s a hoax and testing makes him look bad, I don’t care what he says. I hope he doesn’t lie and then tell his biographer he lied about how deadly it is....
everybody has things that they're passionate about. i believe ihme will be up on april 1 projections soon, so be ready to be shocked in the next day or 2. they were at 415k by jan 1 at one point, and 450k for feb 1 at another. maybe we're outperforming their models. fingers crossed.
Indeed, fingers crossed.
If I'm not mistaken, the model 'changes' based on updated data inputs. They're always going to be "wrong" to some extent, but directionally they've been 'correct' about the variances based upon the behavioral inputs, right?

Right now, they have us hitting 415k by Feb 1 and 470k by March 1. But (Feb 1) there's a variance of 369K and 508K based on universal mask compliance and mandates easing assumptions. And a variance of 406k and 658k as of March 1.

Our takeaway shouldn't be about precision, it should be about variance potential based on behaviors. (Yes, JoeM, behaviors matter.)

As of today, they're running slightly behind the reported #'s of worldometer (280k deaths) and 272k projected for today by IHME.

But let's also remember, this is the model that was cited by Trump and crew last spring when it showed the virus going to zero by August (if distancing behaviors were universally maintained through the end of June). The dummies refused to understand the parenthetical. IHME then got more sophisticated in how they presented the projections based upon alternative scenarios of distancing, etc. Harder for the dummies to misunderstand.

Painfully, they've been far more 'right' than 'wrong'. In my opinion!! ;)
the good news is they have germany racing by us in february. so then we'll be #1 in the western world in handling the virus. get to the 9th inning and bring in the closer.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 am
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

Of course it is.
That's why all the efforts to try to keep the virus spread out of the classrooms. Testing, distancing, outside, etc. Hybrid, rotation.

Is it even more of an issue for poor communities, which have a higher likelihood of multiple-generational households in smaller environments? Of course.

Most families with the average means of Gilman families don't have multi-generational households like mine when my parents lived with us and my wife's older brother lived with us during the years my son was at Gilman. Unusual.

But Gilman also serves less well off families and it's definitely been a serious concern.

on the other hand, you have (it looks like) actively supported your high end private school to do it.

right after attempting to shame someone on here. there is a word for that. sorry, but i have no filter on this subject.
wgdsr, you have this habit of picking fights with me, exaggerating what I've said.

I didn't say schooling can't be done safely. I have said it's hard, it's costly, and if you don't address that reality, you're in for trouble.

Or do you mean Joe?
missed this last night, sorry i'm guessing you wanted to hear back from me. above, this is what you said:
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

what i read from that:
grandma and grandpa at major risk is just a (the?) major issue with opening schools.
IF you close the bars, THEN you should/could be allowed to open the schools. except my school and orbit, we can do that for us. (i added that last part from subsequent conversation)

do you seriously believe there is anyone here, or more importantly at 10's of 1000's of school districts, that think it would be easy and inexpensive? or do you believe they're just incompetent fools? this was the conversation, and the directly above was your reply. i don't see any possible way i interpreted the last part wrong, but maybe you can clarify how that's way off. or i'm exaggerating. not sure i'll buy it, but i'm open.

I believe he said parents and grandparents and actually in many communities, grandparents handle childcare duties, unfortunately....not everyone can hire a nanny....I knew a family that had a nanny for each kid....another had a nanny and he was 18. I always wondered about that “nanny”....

I believe local jurisdictions should be making decisions based on community spread. Was the fall school year in your town carried out like last Spring or was it different?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:44 am

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman

Of course it is.

Or do you mean Joe?

what i read from that:

ok, so you thought that was shaming cooter?

hey, cooter, sorry, not meant that way!

wgdsr, I was perhaps curt, without sufficient explanation (for you) of my meaning, but I wasn't intentionally being rude. One of my rare posts not overly verbose! ;)

But yeah, you seem to be purposely confusing and misreading my meaning, and then later exaggerating for effect.

I'll try to go slower and use more words...yes, older teachers have been and are a concern with schools in-person. Less so younger. But that's not the limitation of concerns (yes parents and grandparents, for instance). Nor is it practical for 100% in-person schools without the older staff. Is that an opinion? I think closer to fact.

Nowhere did I say it was easy to re-open, nor inexpensive, nor fair that schools with greater resources could mediate risks better than schools without such resources. That was your exaggeration and attack re Gilman, but it was not remotely on point, IMO.

Now, to my "overly simplistic" statement, which seems to be your chief issue (?), "Close bars, open schools". This was intended as a statement about preferred priorities.

I'm confident that You understand this, but I'll go slow and use more words...if virus incidence is high and spiking, then all efforts to keep people isolated become necessary. Keep it low and under control and some activities can be 'open'. How to prioritize what to open first? That's where the the simplistic statement plays...restated, schools ahead of bars...

Do I need to explain the societal benefits of kids in school versus adults in bars (and other dense social activities)? My post was following others making the case for schools, with which I agree.

Does that help?

I doubt we actually disagree on the bulk of this, but I too am open to discussing and learning other perspectives, and being challenged to defend my own views...just wish my own goodwill was assumed.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased.
You are hilariously assuming that EVERYONE thinks like you. You DO understand that Cuomo's health officials have numbers that assume how many people will ignore his orders, right? You DO know there's an entire field called "Public Health", right?

1. what's an acceptable number of deaths from Covid? You want fewer controls and restrictions. That's great. But how many deaths are ok with you? What's the number? 300K dead? 400K? 500K?

2. If you were Cuomo, and you were responsible for the lives of not just the 19.7 million people in your State, but also the First Responders and Hospital workers who have deal with the consequences of your decisions? What would you have done? Gimme a rough outline.

This should be interesting. If you can't answer the two questions? You have NO place to complain.

The floor is yours.....
(crickets chirping)
Didn't Joe, just above, complain about me stating my opinions as if facts? :roll:
Noticing the pattern here of late, are ya? Fellow poster complains about you doing xyz-----right before or after they do the exact same thing. But when they do it? It's awesome.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

so why can gilman be open in your world when bars are open, and yet other schools (can i assume baltimore county and surrounding are closed?) have to be closed? all remote learning?

i am fairly sure contingencies of hybrid, teachers opting out to teach full-time remote have been discussed as options by nearly every single school district in the country. and were mentioned here already. but let's say we're giving them the idea.

school and social interaction, learning is like water to children at this point. you are obfuscating with your 100%, teachers are tough to come by. there are solutions that not just gilman has figured out.

this isn't about you saying bars should be closed for the greater good. let's agree on that for the moment and accept that's not the reality right now, and that's a strawman. bars are open. incidence is high? it's rather you saying that if bars are open and incidence is high, only my school can be open. everybody else must close. but you know all this, and want to gloss over that and say i'm confusing, exaggerating and you'll talk slowly and use more words. i find it all incredibly hypocritical, and your post here sure looks demeaning enough to confirm.

how about just do this -- explain why gilman can and should be open, and other schools should not?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:39 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 am

The floor is yours.....
(crickets chirping)
Noticing the pattern here of late, are ya? Fellow poster complains about you doing xyz-----right before or after they do the exact same thing. But when they do it? It's awesome.
There is a lot of that going on around here.....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Dr. Fauci says he'll meet with members of Joe Biden's transition team today for the first "substantive discussions" about the incoming administration's response to the coronavirus pandemic. cbsn.ws/37pf2Ic
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:31 am Virtue signaling: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/304 ... atform=amp
of course nothing about not washing their hands.
surprised 85% of the qbs didn't catch it.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:31 am Virtue signaling: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/304 ... atform=amp
of course nothing about not washing their hands.
surprised 85% of the qbs didn't catch it.
I know....I am a Bronco fan 😢😢😢 Don’t ask how....Mavericks in basketball, Broncos in football and Reds in baseball (when I was a fan....haven’t watched an inning of baseball on TV in 11 years.)
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am so why can gilman be open in your world when bars are open, and yet other schools (can i assume baltimore county and surrounding are closed?) have to be closed? all remote learning?

i am fairly sure contingencies of hybrid, teachers opting out to teach full-time remote have been discussed as options by nearly every single school district in the country. and were mentioned here already. but let's say we're giving them the idea.

school and social interaction, learning is like water to children at this point. you are obfuscating with your 100%, teachers are tough to come by. there are solutions that not just gilman has figured out.

this isn't about you saying bars should be closed for the greater good. let's agree on that for the moment and accept that's not the reality right now, and that's a strawman. bars are open. incidence is high? it's rather you saying that if bars are open and incidence is high, only my school can be open. everybody else must close. but you know all this, and want to gloss over that and say i'm confusing, exaggerating and you'll talk slowly and use more words. i find it all incredibly hypocritical, and your post here sure looks demeaning enough to confirm.

how about just do this -- explain why gilman can and should be open, and other schools should not?
Again, you keep trying to put words in my mouth, extracting or exaggerating what I've said. I'm not sure why you think that's necessary for the discussion, but I'll assume you aren't just doing so to jerk me around...

I have NOT said that schools should be closed. Quite the opposite, I think society should be doing all in its power to have schools function as much as they can, safely.

I've suggested that society should strongly prioritize schooling of children, in-person as much as we can, especially for younger, while mitigating the risks of virus spread to those vulnerable. And I've said that's hard and expensive. But sure as heck more important than bars and other dense social settings, without masks, that are ideal for transmission.

Priorities.

Do you actually disagree or do you just want to be disagreeable?

BTW, I also am strongly in favor of financial support for the businesses that need to be closed or at lower than profitable capacity levels. Bars, restaurants, all sorts of situations that are impacted by what needs to done for public health in the short term.

None of this is free or easy.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am so why can gilman be open in your world when bars are open, and yet other schools (can i assume baltimore county and surrounding are closed?) have to be closed? all remote learning?

Again, you keep trying to put words in my mouth, extracting or exaggerating what I've said. I'm not sure why you think that's necessary for the discussion, but I'll assume you aren't just doing so to jerk me around...

I have NOT said that schools should be closed. Quite the opposite, I think society should be doing all in its power to have schools function as much as they can, safely.

I've suggested that society should strongly prioritize schooling of children, in-person as much as we can, especially for younger, while mitigating the risks of virus spread to those vulnerable. And I've said that's hard and expensive. But sure as heck more important than bars and other dense social settings, without masks, that are ideal for transmission.

Priorities.

BTW, I also am strongly in favor of financial support for the businesses that need to be closed or at lower than profitable capacity levels. Bars, restaurants, all sorts of situations that are impacted by what needs to done for public health in the short term.

well, alright! i didn't think it was possible, but if i'm not missing on the above, i'll assume...

that i got this all wrong! that you are in favor of all schools opening right now (safely, of course), and that closing bars, high incidence, etc. is a completely separate issue that should also be prioritized but not impact opening schools. also that teacher shortages and risks to others are just issues that need to be considered very strongly as we look to have in-person public schools move forward, and not deal killers or a reason to not get started on opening them up.

great. happy to be wrong. funny, i googled baltimore county public schools a few minutes ago and got this:
https://www.bcps.org/

maybe they can take snow days.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Priorities.

well, alright! i didn't think it was possible, but if i'm not missing on the above, i'll assume...

that i got this all wrong! that you are in favor of all schools opening right now (safely, of course), and that closing bars, high incidence, etc. is a completely separate issue that should also be prioritized. also that teacher shortages and risks to others are just issues that need to be considered very strongly as we look to have in-person public schools move forward, and not deal killers or a reason to not get started on opening them up.

great. happy to be wrong. funny, i googled baltimore county public schools a few minutes ago and got this:
https://www.bcps.org/

maybe they can take snow days.
Gilman is in the city, not county, but lots of the students are from the county too.

You've almost nailed my opinion, small nit though. I'm not saying necessarily that it's safe now to open all schools, in all situations. I'd say it a bit differently...I'd want all schools to be open, safely, with as much in-person as can be done safely, and that's dependent on 2 major factors: 1) the school's mitigation strategy and resources and 2) the incidence in the specific community it serves.

And #2 is when "bars" etc become related to the question of what to prioritize. I say prioritize kids over getting drunk. Way too simplistic, but that's my point, prioritize in a rational way.

And to me, we should be prioritizing kids being in school both for the benefit of the kids AND because it enables a more efficient workforce. If that means I need to sacrifice indoor dining, going to a bar or concert or play, etc, to needing to do my praying from home, to not going to business conferences in-person...and wearing a mask when I'm out and about for critical activities...SO that kids can get to school, that's ok with me.

That said, my sister-in-law is a 63 year middle school teacher with a Downs daughter at home...high risk situation, so I'm glad that her public school in Mass enabled her to do most of her teaching from home.

And let me repeat an earlier point...schools need more resources (#1) if they are going to have successful mitigation.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

pretty amazing. It's literally an SNL skit.
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status ... 5577165825
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

CDC predicts 450K COVID-19 deaths by February

The nation's one-day toll of coronavirus deaths surpassed 3,000 for the first time Wednesday, a number perhaps inflated by fatalities reported days late because of the Thanksgiving holiday but still reflective of a pandemic racing out of control.

The death toll of 3,157 came as hospitalizations surpassed 100,000 for the first time. The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention predicted the U.S. could reach 450,000 deaths by February.

"The reality is, December and January and February are going to be rough times, and I actually believe they’re going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of our nation, largely because of the stress it’s going to put on our public health system," Dr. Robert Redfield said Wednesday at a U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation event.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coron ... li=BBnb7Kz

Don't blame me - I sure as hell never voted for Dump.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:48 pm CDC predicts 450K COVID-19 deaths by February

The nation's one-day toll of coronavirus deaths surpassed 3,000 for the first time Wednesday, a number perhaps inflated by fatalities reported days late because of the Thanksgiving holiday but still reflective of a pandemic racing out of control.

The death toll of 3,157 came as hospitalizations surpassed 100,000 for the first time. The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention predicted the U.S. could reach 450,000 deaths by February.

"The reality is, December and January and February are going to be rough times, and I actually believe they’re going to be the most difficult time in the public health history of our nation, largely because of the stress it’s going to put on our public health system," Dr. Robert Redfield said Wednesday at a U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation event.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coron ... li=BBnb7Kz

Don't blame me - I sure as hell never voted for Dump.
joe says we'll blow past that between now and january. we'll see who's right.

Return to “POLITICS”