All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

That would really help get/keep schools open.
They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

To be overly simplistic: Close bars, open schools.
One last thing to be OVERLY SIMPLISTIC: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

The VAST majority of the United States do not have Bar's open in the capacity that they usually do. Stop with this bullcrap, the reasons schools are not fully open has ZERO to do with people going out to eat/bars. It's BECAUSE OUR LEADERS AND POLITICIANS very BADLY mishandled how to handle protocols involving school children WHO ARE NOT COLLEGE AGED. Stop with this pedantic blaming of everything on people's behaviors. You can NEVER totally control the behavior of the general population and besides this VIRUS spreads due to many other factors other than PEOPLE"S Behavior. I really think you do not get out enough lately. Again,your vision is skewed, you do not see what is happening ON THE DAMN GROUND. The world is not ending, in fact it's FAR FROM BEING ANYWHERE NEAR IN THE REALM OF THAT. When this is all said and done Bars/Restaurants will have played small part in the role of transmission. In NY, if you believe King Andy( Which many don't!!) 70% of spread is happening in small private gatherings which are never going to be stopped. Use your brain, do you know why? Because of the many restrictions on bars/restaurants/venues/etc where people usually attempt to socialize. Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased. You are NOT going to see even close to the vast majority of the public sit in their homes for even 3,4,5 weeks and WAIT THE VACCINE OUT like the "lockdown of March/April/Early May. So shaming and playing shoulda/woulda/coulda does JACKSQUAT! Stay safe, until the spring 2021!!

JoeMauer89!
Like I said, you and that attitude of yours are EXACTLY the problem.

See, that's how caps feel...shouting.

BTW, I do agree that protocols for safe school environments have been badly handled. Testing has been inadequate, funding has been inadequate.

But you're wholly incorrect about bars and other 'social' gatherings, whether private or public...that's how the virus spreads. Several weeks ago, I was at a restaurant in Florida, eating outside, well separated...made the mistake of going to the rest room inside...bar was packed, no masks. No wonder this county has a huge spike now...people aren't distancing, aren't wearing masks when close together...they think it doesn't matter because idiots have told them to just "live life" and it's their 'right' to not care about others.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:02 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Hybrid, prioritizing the youngest in-person. Rotating older students.
As much as possible in tents outside. Lots of testing.
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
must be nice. perks for the elite.
hope grandma and grampa gilman are ok.
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

i really don't think you have any idea how that all sounds.
Did I say that wasn't a concern at Gilman???

Of course it is.
That's why all the efforts to try to keep the virus spread out of the classrooms. Testing, distancing, outside, etc. Hybrid, rotation.

Is it even more of an issue for poor communities, which have a higher likelihood of multiple-generational households in smaller environments? Of course.

Most families with the average means of Gilman families don't have multi-generational households like mine when my parents lived with us and my wife's older brother lived with us during the years my son was at Gilman. Unusual.

But Gilman also serves less well off families and it's definitely been a serious concern.
mdlax... on the one hand you say/advocate that schools can't be safely done.

on the other hand, you have (it looks like) actively supported your high end private school to do it.

right after attempting to shame someone on here. there is a word for that. sorry, but i have no filter on this subject.
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased.
You are hilariously assuming that EVERYONE thinks like you. You DO understand that Cuomo's health officials have numbers that assume how many people will ignore his orders, right? You DO know there's an entire field called "Public Health", right?

You seem to have all the answers. That's great. I have two questions:

1. what's an acceptable number of deaths from Covid? You want fewer controls and restrictions. That's great. But how many deaths are ok with you? What's the number? 300K dead? 400K? 500K?

2. If you were Cuomo, and you were responsible for the lives of not just the 19.7 million people in your State, but also the First Responders and Hospital workers who have deal with the consequences of your decisions? What would you have done? Gimme a rough outline.

This should be interesting. If you can't answer the two questions? You have NO place to complain.

The floor is yours.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:09 pm

the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

Of course it is.
That's why all the efforts to try to keep the virus spread out of the classrooms. Testing, distancing, outside, etc. Hybrid, rotation.

Is it even more of an issue for poor communities, which have a higher likelihood of multiple-generational households in smaller environments? Of course.

Most families with the average means of Gilman families don't have multi-generational households like mine when my parents lived with us and my wife's older brother lived with us during the years my son was at Gilman. Unusual.

But Gilman also serves less well off families and it's definitely been a serious concern.

on the other hand, you have (it looks like) actively supported your high end private school to do it.

right after attempting to shame someone on here. there is a word for that. sorry, but i have no filter on this subject.
wgdsr, you have this habit of picking fights with me, exaggerating what I've said.

I didn't say schooling can't be done safely. I have said it's hard, it's costly, and if you don't address that reality, you're in for trouble.

Who did I attempt to shame? I missed that. My response to Cooter???
Was I sharp or rude with him??

Or do you mean Joe?
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman

Of course it is.

Wgdsr,

Much thanks, as I can count on you to coherently get the point across, my post became a diatribe just because, well you know, it can be frustrating when trying to discuss something with someone who presents their opinions as indisputable facts. Stay well, watch out for Rutgers this spring. I think they have potential with Adam Charalambides as a, wait for it, 7TH YEAR SENIOR!!!

JoeMauer89!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Contrary to what some assume, the priority decisions will not be made at the federal level, but by the states.

I agree that younger teachers probably should be given a higher priority than others of the same age, but I don’t think they should be first in line along with medical personnel, first responders, retirement home residents, and the elderly.

Maybe after that, but their exposure/risk is less than that of the above groups.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:14 pm

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman

Of course it is.

Wgdsr,

Much thanks, as I can count on you to coherently get the point across, my post became a diatribe just because, well you know, it can be frustrating when trying to discuss something with someone who presents their opinions as indisputable facts. Stay well, watch out for Rutgers this spring. I think they have potential with Adam Charalambides as a, wait for it, 7TH YEAR SENIOR!!!

JoeMauer89!
Mullins was also in the 2014 HS class
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased.
You are hilariously assuming that EVERYONE thinks like you. You DO understand that Cuomo's health officials have numbers that assume how many people will ignore his orders, right? You DO know there's an entire field called "Public Health", right?

1. what's an acceptable number of deaths from Covid? You want fewer controls and restrictions. That's great. But how many deaths are ok with you? What's the number? 300K dead? 400K? 500K?

2. If you were Cuomo, and you were responsible for the lives of not just the 19.7 million people in your State, but also the First Responders and Hospital workers who have deal with the consequences of your decisions? What would you have done? Gimme a rough outline.

This should be interesting. If you can't answer the two questions? You have NO place to complain.

The floor is yours.....
(crickets chirping)
a fan

Post by a fan »

Leadership. In contrast to the idiots in Denver and California who think it's time to party

Former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton are volunteering to get their Covid-19 vaccines on camera to promote public confidence in the vaccine's safety once the US Food and Drug Administration authorizes one.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/politics ... index.html
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm Someone is dying from covid every 35 seconds in this country from Covid right now. Our friends at UW are predicting that we will hit 470k deaths by March 1. I will call 400k a win.
joe has had enough of ihme's low projections. he's not even using old ones anymore and exaggerating those. today has us likely with 250,000 dead between now and january. says it's a fact.

i thought the election was over.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm Someone is dying from covid every 35 seconds in this country from Covid right now. Our friends at UW are predicting that we will hit 470k deaths by March 1. I will call 400k a win.
joe has had enough of ihme's low projections. he's not even using old ones anymore and exaggerating those. today has us likely with 250,000 dead between now and january. says it's a fact.

I have not checked their site. Just heard a talking head. As long as Joe ( I am assuming it’s Biden as I haven’t been following what he has said) doesn’t say it’s a hoax and testing makes him look bad, I don’t care what he says. I hope he doesn’t lie and then tell his biographer he lied about how deadly it is....
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am

I have not checked their site. Just heard a talking head. As long as Joe ( I am assuming it’s Biden as I haven’t been following what he has said) doesn’t say it’s a hoax and testing makes him look bad, I don’t care what he says. I hope he doesn’t lie and then tell his biographer he lied about how deadly it is....
everybody has things that they're passionate about. i believe ihme will be up on april 1 projections soon, so be ready to be shocked in the next day or 2. they were at 415k by jan 1 at one point, and 450k for feb 1 at another. maybe we're outperforming their models. fingers crossed.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:15 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:04 am

everybody has things that they're passionate about. i believe ihme will be up on april 1 projections soon, so be ready to be shocked in the next day or 2. they were at 415k by jan 1 at one point, and 450k for feb 1 at another. maybe we're outperforming their models. fingers crossed.
I haven’t paid much attention to the projected death total. I am simple....if we do the right things, we will have fewer deaths than if we act irresponsibly.....but health officials can’t tell folks how to live their lives. Personal irresponsibility is our right.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Re: All things Trump CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

With all the Trumpian idiocy on this forum, the pandemic is only heating up. Over 200,000 confirmed cases and nearly 3,000 confirmed deaths today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We are way beyond what was once considered the worst case scenario.

The United State’s failed response to the COVID-19 crisis is the worst failure of presidential leadership in modern American history.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The U.S. reported single-day records for both Covid infections & deaths on Wednesday, realizing fears of a post Holiday surge.

The 204,943 new cases topped the previous 11/20 record of 196,100 cases.
The 2,777 covid-related deaths also marked a new single-day record.

Maybe IMPOTUS should focus on COVID for once?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

US reports 3,100 COVID-19 deaths in one day, surpassing previous record by 20 percent

BY ZACK BUDRYK - 12/03/20 07:24 AM EST

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... in-one-day
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
smoova

Post by smoova »

a fan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:51 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm

The floor is yours.....
(crickets chirping)
I, for one, am shocked to learn that Joe Mauer is a Dodger!
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 am With all the Trumpian idiocy on this forum, the pandemic is only heating up. Over 200,000 confirmed cases and nearly 3,000 confirmed deaths today.

The United State’s failed response to the COVID-19 crisis is the worst failure of presidential leadership in modern American history.

Doc, I’m going to tee this one up high and in front of a 200 yard wide fairway for you. Name a worse presidential failure than this in all of American history.
Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:44 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 am With all the Trumpian idiocy on this forum, the pandemic is only heating up. Over 200,000 confirmed cases and nearly 3,000 confirmed deaths today.

Doc, I’m going to tee this one up high and in front of a 200 yard wide fairway for you. Name a worse presidential failure than this in all of American history.
Benghazi and President Obama’s tan suit.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”