All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

njbill

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by njbill »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:23 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:14 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 pm Cooter....take cover, prepare for incoming. 😂😂
there has been no larger failing than our failure to our children. none. and it continues.
How about the elderly? I thought the children were immune.
how about the elderly? if you have a good plan, we sure could use it.
as far as children, the plan was always there. waiting. still is.
You said there’s been no larger failing than the children. I said how about the elderly? The failing towards the elderly (who died) was certainly larger than any failing towards the children, who didn’t.
ggait

Post by ggait »

How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

That would really help get/keep schools open.
Last edited by ggait on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:23 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:14 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:55 pm Cooter....take cover, prepare for incoming. 😂😂
there has been no larger failing than our failure to our children. none. and it continues.
How about the elderly? I thought the children were immune.
how about the elderly? if you have a good plan, we sure could use it.
as far as children, the plan was always there. waiting. still is.
You said there’s been no larger failing than the children. I said how about the elderly? The failing towards the elderly (who died) was certainly larger than any failing towards the children, who didn’t.
tomato, tomato.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

Keep the spread down, kids go to school. Adults run around partying, they will be at home as the virus rages. Then adults will complain about kids not being in school. How about staying out of bars and restaurants so kids can go to school. Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm RT @DavidBegnaud: 2,733 Americans reported dead TODAY

Second highest number of daily reported deaths in the pandemic.

Doesn’t get much worse than this.
Worldometer has it at 2831, worst all year.

203K cases, worst to date.
And this is unexpected? It always gets BAD before it gets better. You can shout from the damn rooftops and it isn't going to do a damn thing. Do you what you have to do to stay healthy and life will go on. If anyone thinks this is unexpected, they are temporarily or willingly not using their critical thinking skills. "It's always DARKEST BEFORE the DAWN" I'm not interested in any debates, but this had to be said because it truly sounds like this is SURPRISING TO YOU, I'm not debating if it is ANYTHING ELSE, but it SHOULD NOT be surprising. We are in the Bottom Of The 7th with this virus, and it always gets stressful and anxiety-ridden in the late innings!!

JoeMauer89!
Yes, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Does that help you feel better about the current reality that you have been so eager to deny these many months was coming?

And yes, "it SHOULD NOT be surprising" given the denials of the coming reality by so many.

Joe, were you one such who contributed to the 'just another flu' narrative that has so tragically cost so many lives?

It didn't need to get this bad. Not remotely this bad.

Deniers: Own it.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:18 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:07 pm How about we get school teachers immunized on a high priority.

Keep the spread down, kids go to school. Adults run around partying, they will be at home as the virus rages. Then adults will complain about kids not being in school. How about staying out of bars and restaurants so kids can go to school. Doesn’t seem like a lot to ask.
Both correct.
It didn't need to be this bad, and there's hope come spring if vaccinations can prioritize.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:24 pm

They could have moved to find younger teachers in their 20s and 30s, and given older teachers the option of a leave of absence.
They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

To be overly simplistic: Close bars, open schools.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gottlieb said today next will be "certain essential employees" and older and comorbidity folks. given our decisions on schools so far, i wouldn't guess that certain essential employees includes teachers on the first run.
so we're looking at late feb/march for them, earliest.
Typical Lax Dad

They do grow on trees.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:26 pm

They didn't have, and don't have, enough teachers as it is, especially given need to distance the kids...the issue isn't just the teachers, it's the parents and grandparents.

the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm

the parents/grandparents thing is over. redfield and fauci say so. follow the science, right?

you would find a good portion of parents and kids who stay home. those that go could also do some hybrid. working out the numbers was never the problem.

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Hybrid, prioritizing the youngest in-person. Rotating older students.
As much as possible in tents outside. Lots of testing.
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:21 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm RT @DavidBegnaud: 2,733 Americans reported dead TODAY

Second highest number of daily reported deaths in the pandemic.

Doesn’t get much worse than this.
Worldometer has it at 2831, worst all year.

203K cases, worst to date.
And this is unexpected? It always gets BAD before it gets better. You can shout from the damn rooftops and it isn't going to do a damn thing. Do you what you have to do to stay healthy and life will go on. If anyone thinks this is unexpected, they are temporarily or willingly not using their critical thinking skills. "It's always DARKEST BEFORE the DAWN" I'm not interested in any debates, but this had to be said because it truly sounds like this is SURPRISING TO YOU, I'm not debating if it is ANYTHING ELSE, but it SHOULD NOT be surprising. We are in the Bottom Of The 7th with this virus, and it always gets stressful and anxiety-ridden in the late innings!!

JoeMauer89!
Yes, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Does that help you feel better about the current reality that you have been so eager to deny these many months was coming?

And yes, "it SHOULD NOT be surprising" given the denials of the coming reality by so many.

Joe, were you one such who contributed to the 'just another flu' narrative that has so tragically cost so many lives?

It didn't need to get this bad. Not remotely this bad.

Deniers: Own it.
There has been nothing denied on my end, I lost an extended family member to the virus many months back. But I stopped LONG AGO thinking, "it could have been this, it could have been that" ITS NOT, and there's no use dwelling on it... Enjoy the holidays and and I'll be back to talk lacrosse in the spring, because like it or not, it's happening in some form. The way things progress with this virus THREE MONTHS IS A DAMN ETERNITY and things will be markedly different, and in a more positive way.

"Sunday Night Football" on Wednesday Afternoon was surprisingly entertaining!

JoeMauer89!
Last edited by JoeMauer89 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 pm

what's gilman doing?
I was responding to the notion that they didn't need the older teacher cohort to stay involved. They did and will.

Re Gilman
Not sure what they will do this winter post Xmas break, assuming it gets even more intense in MD before it gets better as I think we would anticipate this spring.
must be nice. perks for the elite.
hope grandma and grampa gilman are ok.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 pm

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
Typical Lax Dad

what's gilman doing?
Our elementary schools in our town were hybrid with a cohort. Was supposed to go back full time in November. However its was suspected college kids triggered covid spread that got out of control. Positivity rate got up to 20% I believe and guess what? Schools didn’t reopen full time. Guess who were the bad guys? More bars and restaurants per capita than anywhere else in the country! I know at one time a 1 mile stretch of road had more bank branches per square mile than anywhere else in the country.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman
Not sure what the crack about 'perks for elite' means, but if you simply mean that Gilman is expending a lot of resources to get the job done, that's very much correct. We're also raising funds for emergency tuition support for the ~ 50% of families who receive aid, some of whom can't afford the balance in the Covid work environment and for other families suddenly in need of support too.

Or if you mean that Gilman has resources that lots and lots of other schools do not, I absolutely agree. The 'costs' for kids is being felt dramatically disproportionately in the poorest communities, especially public schools.
but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

i really don't think you have any idea how that all sounds.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

One last thing to be OVERLY SIMPLISTIC: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

The VAST majority of the United States do not have Bar's open in the capacity that they usually do. Stop with this bullcrap, the reasons schools are not fully open has ZERO to do with people going out to eat/bars. It's BECAUSE OUR LEADERS AND POLITICIANS very BADLY mishandled how to handle protocols involving school children WHO ARE NOT COLLEGE AGED. Stop with this pedantic blaming of everything on people's behaviors. You can NEVER totally control the behavior of the general population and besides this VIRUS spreads due to many other factors other than PEOPLE"S Behavior. I really think you do not get out enough lately. Again,your vision is skewed, you do not see what is happening ON THE DAMN GROUND. The world is not ending, in fact it's FAR FROM BEING ANYWHERE NEAR IN THE REALM OF THAT. When this is all said and done Bars/Restaurants will have played small part in the role of transmission. In NY, if you believe King Andy( Which many don't!!) 70% of spread is happening in small private gatherings which are never going to be stopped. Use your brain, do you know why? Because of the many restrictions on bars/restaurants/venues/etc where people usually attempt to socialize. Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased. You are NOT going to see even close to the vast majority of the public sit in their homes for even 3,4,5 weeks and WAIT THE VACCINE OUT like the "lockdown of March/April/Early May. So shaming and playing shoulda/woulda/coulda does JACKSQUAT! Stay safe, until the spring 2021!!

JoeMauer89!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 pm

what's gilman doing?

Re Gilman

but a few minutes ago it was grandma and grandpa at risk. but not for the kids at private schools. this virus sure is slick. glad there's no spread there so it's not endangering those poor communities.

i really don't think you have any idea how that all sounds.
Did I say that wasn't a concern at Gilman???

Of course it is.
That's why all the efforts to try to keep the virus spread out of the classrooms. Testing, distancing, outside, etc. Hybrid, rotation.

Is it even more of an issue for poor communities, which have a higher likelihood of multiple-generational households in smaller environments? Of course.

Most families with the average means of Gilman families don't have multi-generational households like mine when my parents lived with us and my wife's older brother lived with us during the years my son was at Gilman. Unusual.

But Gilman also serves less well off families and it's definitely been a serious concern.
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:57 pm

One last thing to be OVERLY SIMPLISTIC: CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION

The VAST majority of the United States do not have Bar's open in the capacity that they usually do. Stop with this bullcrap, the reasons schools are not fully open has ZERO to do with people going out to eat/bars. It's BECAUSE OUR LEADERS AND POLITICIANS very BADLY mishandled how to handle protocols involving school children WHO ARE NOT COLLEGE AGED. Stop with this pedantic blaming of everything on people's behaviors. You can NEVER totally control the behavior of the general population and besides this VIRUS spreads due to many other factors other than PEOPLE"S Behavior. I really think you do not get out enough lately. Again,your vision is skewed, you do not see what is happening ON THE DAMN GROUND. The world is not ending, in fact it's FAR FROM BEING ANYWHERE NEAR IN THE REALM OF THAT. When this is all said and done Bars/Restaurants will have played small part in the role of transmission. In NY, if you believe King Andy( Which many don't!!) 70% of spread is happening in small private gatherings which are never going to be stopped. Use your brain, do you know why? Because of the many restrictions on bars/restaurants/venues/etc where people usually attempt to socialize. Human beings are social animals, their desire to socialize will not go away even in a Pandemic. By closing restaurants/bars at 10PM what exactly do you think is happening? I can sure as turd promise you that the vast majority don't say, "well, damn its 10PM and Andy Cuomo says its time for me to call it a night" They say, let's take it back to my/your/his/hers house/apartment/backyard/condo/etc and have some more drinks/food/etc. This will continue to happen until the restrictions begin to be gradually eased. You are NOT going to see even close to the vast majority of the public sit in their homes for even 3,4,5 weeks and WAIT THE VACCINE OUT like the "lockdown of March/April/Early May. So shaming and playing shoulda/woulda/coulda does JACKSQUAT! Stay safe, until the spring 2021!!

JoeMauer89!
Someone is dying from covid every 35 seconds in this country from Covid right now. Our friends at UW are predicting that we will hit 470k deaths by March 1. I will call 400k a win.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”