SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: SCOTUS

Post by njbill »

The Supreme Court enjoined enforcement of the governor’s executive orders. They ruled that the orders, as applied to petitioners, likely violated the first amendment. No, it’s not a decision on the merits, but it almost certainly indicates how the Court would rule if cert is sought, if it is granted, and if there is an ultimate ruling on the merits.

Yes, there was some amount of discussion about the mootness issue, properly so, since New York had changed the zone designations so that the restrictions complained about by the petitioners no longer applied to them. That is a classic case of mootness, notwithstanding what the Supreme Court said about that.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm The Supreme Court enjoined enforcement of the governor’s executive orders. They ruled that the orders, as applied to petitioners, likely violated the first amendment. No, it’s not a decision on the merits, but it almost certainly indicates how the Court would rule if cert is sought, if it is granted, and if there is an ultimate ruling on the merits.

Yes, there was some amount of discussion about the mootness issue, properly so, since New York had changed the zone designations so that the restrictions complained about by the petitioners no longer applied to them. That is a classic case of mootness, notwithstanding what the Supreme Court said about that.
Thank you.
ggait

Post by ggait »

The case was clearly moot. So Roberts is correct that they could should have declined the case. Regardless of what you think of the merits.

But Justice Dogma and Alito and Thomas are looking for the fight. So they make an unnecessary ruling because they want to.

That’s activist under any definition. Sticking your nose in when you don’t have to. Not conservative at all.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Does the SCOTUS accept the appeal??

https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/203371np.pdf
Bart

Post by Bart »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 pm Does the SCOTUS accept the appeal??

https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/203371np.pdf
Not a lawyer so couch the comment in that regard but I hope not. If I understand the lower court’s conclusions it wasn’t even close. If the SCOTUS takes up the mantle it would appear so political that I would worry about the consequences
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ordinarily, I would certainly think the Court wouldn’t take the case. But this Court has three justices appointed by T**** who are beholden to him. Plus there are two others (Thomas and Alito) who seem inclined to bend over backwards to favor T****.

So will the Court accept the case (assuming T**** appeals) and, if so, what will they do with it? I’m holding my breath.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 pm Ordinarily, I would certainly think the Court wouldn’t take the case. But this Court has three justices appointed by T**** who are beholden to him. Plus there are two others (Thomas and Alito) who seem inclined to bend over backwards to favor T****.

So will the Court accept the case (assuming T**** appeals) and, if so, what will they do with it? I’m holding my breath.
And that would be disastrous imho. It would undermind the legitimacy of the court...again imho
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:25 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 pm Ordinarily, I would certainly think the Court wouldn’t take the case. But this Court has three justices appointed by T**** who are beholden to him. Plus there are two others (Thomas and Alito) who seem inclined to bend over backwards to favor T****.

And that would be disastrous imho. It would undermind the legitimacy of the court...again imho
The Campaign would be asking the Court to determine that Brann abused his discretion when he declined to allow an amended complaint. I just don’t see SCOTUS getting involved in a civil procedure question , right?

NJbill, are we just spooked by the midnight travesty??
njbill

Post by njbill »

Partially that, yes, but I don’t like the way the votes line up. Alito already went out of his way once.

Not saying the Supremes would do the wrong thing in the end, just that they may not simply deny review altogether.
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:18 pm Partially that, yes, but I don’t like the way the votes line up. Alito already went out of his way once.

Not saying the Supremes would do the wrong thing in the end, just that they may not simply deny review altogether.
You wanna see America rebel? Let the SCOTUS install Trump in a sham ruling that has no basis in reality.

You do that? Cities will burn, and the lives of our leadership will be in danger.

IMHO, anything they put in front of the Court will either go unheard, or the Court will unanimously reject the stupidity. Our country is a mess, but not THAT much of a mess.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Agree. They sure better reject any cases brought by T****.

Very interested to see what happens.
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:18 pm Partially that, yes, but I don’t like the way the votes line up. Alito already went out of his way once.

You wanna see America rebel? Let the SCOTUS install Trump in a sham ruling that has no basis in reality.

You do that? Cities will burn, and the lives of our leadership will be in danger.

IMHO, anything they put in front of the Court will either go unheard, or the Court will unanimously reject the stupidity. Our country is a mess, but not THAT much of a mess.
THAT is my worry
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 pm Good thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gregggonsalv ... 0769154054
He knows not of what he speaks....He has clearly never been to church during the pandemic or participated online. Every church going member I know, including at ours church, does not sing aloud and during readings we all read to ourselves. He has some growing up to do.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

As usual, YA b@llshit to explain away a terrible decision. You know your church, give you that. But the comparison between an hour long service in proximity to many people and a beer pickup is silly, wrong and unsafe. It’s also completely wrong in the conservative judicial system, which once had its foundation in restraint. The Gorsuch opinion lays bare the holier than thou, smarter than thee ethos that now pervades the bankrupt world of conservative “thinking” and “principle.” Never talk of standards when yours are so elastic.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 pm Good thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gregggonsalv ... 0769154054
He knows not of what he speaks....He has clearly never been to church during the pandemic or participated online. Every church going member I know, including at ours church, does not sing aloud and during readings we all read to ourselves. He has some growing up to do.

Them dumb Asians.....
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:51 am As usual, YA b@llshit to explain away a terrible decision. You know your church, give you that. But the comparison between an hour long service in proximity to many people and a beer pickup is silly, wrong and unsafe. It’s also completely wrong in the conservative judicial system, which once had its foundation in restraint. The Gorsuch opinion lays bare the holier than thou, smarter than thee ethos that now pervades the bankrupt world of conservative “thinking” and “principle.” Never talk of standards when yours are so elastic.
If you want to discuss something with me, then quote me, otherwise, we'll just assume you you are a pompous know it all, kinda like the guy on twitter you cited....to which I was referring to his rant, NOT Gorsuch. I suppose if you add enough content to your post, you'll always find a way out.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 am He knows not of what he speaks....He has clearly never been to church during the pandemic or participated online. Every church going member I know, including at ours church, does not sing aloud and during readings we all read to ourselves. He has some growing up to do.
Right.

Here's a service at First Baptist Dallas on Oct.27, 2020:

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 am He knows not of what he speaks....He has clearly never been to church during the pandemic or participated online. Every church going member I know, including at ours church, does not sing aloud and during readings we all read to ourselves. He has some growing up to do.
Right.

Here's a service at First Baptist Dallas on Oct.27, 2020:

Jeffress church, an avid supporter of Trump, in Texas nonetheless. :lol: Nice, do you also fish in an aquarium.
~Livy

CU77

Post by CU77 »

You're the one making claims about how all churchgoers that "you know" are behaving well. I'm simply pointing out that there are an awful lot of churchgoers that you don't know, and that quite a few of them are behaving badly. Sure, this pastor is a Trump supporter; 74 million people voted for Trump. You think they're all following Fauci's guidelines at church?

Return to “POLITICS”