All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 pm I was having a pleasant day hitting golf balls...

I'm a 'defense in depth' kinda guy.

The disease spreads through the air, particularly extended exposure. Reduce the exposure, reduce the spread.

All sorts of measures can reduce the spread, my 'prescription' would be to layer these in as many situations as possible, while enabling society to continue as the data rolled in on particular aspects.

Distancing # 1, masks right behind distancing and yes, mandated, when distancing can't be fully maintained. More outside, more air flow dispersion, better filtration, keep adding layers of defense in order to as much as possible to enable economy and continued social interaction for those most in need of such.

More PPE, more test, trace and isolate...all helping.

Re data rolling in, seems to me that as the data has revealed that schooling for youngsters is very important, yet can be accomplished with relatively little spread IF there are mitigation measures in place, distancing, masks, testing etc...then prioritize that over activities which really don't need to be done, eg bars and concerts and...
this is so frustrating. i don't know what to tell people anymore. you just said we should be like denmark and finland and not have masks. but now masks. ready to give up.
No, that was you saying that Finland and Denmark don't have masks and thus we shouldn't wear masks...I made no such (stupid IMO) conclusions.

You're a smart guy, wgdsr, you know better and are just trying to pick an argument with me again.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Officials in Finland need to hang out here more m. They must not have received the memo on no use of masks.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:18 pm I was having a pleasant day hitting golf balls...

The disease spreads through the air, particularly extended exposure. Reduce the exposure, reduce the spread.

All sorts of measures can reduce the spread, my 'prescription' would be to layer these in as many situations as possible, while enabling society to continue as the data rolled in on particular aspects.

Distancing # 1, masks right behind distancing and yes, mandated, when distancing can't be fully maintained. More outside, more air flow dispersion, better filtration, keep adding layers of defense in order to as much as possible to enable economy and continued social interaction for those most in need of such.

Re data rolling in, seems to me that as the data has revealed that schooling for youngsters is very important, yet can be accomplished with relatively little spread IF there are mitigation measures in place, distancing, masks, testing etc...then prioritize that over activities which really don't need to be done, eg bars and concerts and...
this is so frustrating. i don't know what to tell people anymore. you just said we should be like denmark and finland and not have masks. but now masks. ready to give up.
No, that was you saying that Finland and Denmark don't have masks and thus we shouldn't wear masks...I made no such (stupid IMO) conclusions.

You're a smart guy, wgdsr, you know better and are just trying to pick an argument with me again.
not at all.
here's your quote:

"Yes, that would indeed have been a 'win'!
South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong did it...

But Germany or Canada's rate would have been a 'win' comparatively too.
Much less Denmark, Finland, etc.

you were replying re: deaths annually for tb, which i can quote entirely if you wish.

we're having a discussion here. my interpretation is we should've done what denmark and finland did. that we're a comparator.

part of what they did was... not wear masks.

not picking a fight at all. a discussion. you have put a stake in the ground for months. feel free to clarify the above if you wish. we compare badly to denmark and finland, should've done what they did... or not. that's what it looks like to me.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:39 pm

not at all.
here's your quote:

you were replying re: deaths annually for tb, which i can quote entirely if you wish.

we're having a discussion here. my interpretation is we should've done what denmark and finland did. that we're a comparator.

not picking a fight at all. a discussion. you have put a stake in the ground for months. feel free to clarify the above if you wish. we compare badly to denmark and finland, should've done what they did... or not. that's what it looks like to me.
We also didn’t wear masks.....remember?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:32 pm

Officials in Finland need to hang out here more m. They must not have received the memo on no use of masks.
gone from 5% to 30+% in the last month or 2 (with their spike) according to my boys at ihme. we're still quoting them right!?!?

we are still 100+% higher than finland for mask usage according to my guys @ ihme ( and every survey strangely puts us at 85%)! good to see they're doing it on public transport, i guess that's a good start.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:54 pm

gone from 5% to 30+% in the last month or 2 (with their spike) according to my boys at ihme. we're still quoting them right!?!?

we are still 100+% higher than finland for mask usage according to my guys @ ihme ( and every survey strangely puts us at 85%)! good to see they're doing it on public transport, i guess that's a good start.
Of course we can duplicate what they do. You believe masks usage has no role in the fight against the virus? Yes or no?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:41 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:39 pm

not at all.
here's your quote:

We also didn’t wear masks.....remember?
not true. we have been consistently higher than every nation i've seen outside of asia. including germany. and even a number of asian countries according to ihme.

where are you getting your data? i've posted a number of surveys and links and studies.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Of course we can duplicate what they do. You believe masks usage has no role in the fight against the virus? Yes or no?
i believe it could if done right. but you just said we didn't wear masks in a conversation about comparison to other countries. shouldn't i be asking you questions?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:59 pm

i believe it could if done right. but you just said we didn't wear masks in a conversation about comparison to other countries. shouldn't i be asking you questions?
Roll the tape.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm

Roll the tape.
ok..start with 2 posts ago. you said we didn't wear masks. the conversation was vs other countries. my preference would be masks vs western countries, but do your best inclusive of asian or other countries also if need be.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:09 pm

Roll the tape.
ok..start with 2 posts ago. you said we didn't wear masks. the conversation was vs other countries. my preference would be masks vs western countries, but do your best inclusive of asian or other countries also if need be.
It seemed to me that you were suggesting that Finland’s leaders were not proponents of mask usage. Seemed like early on there wasn’t much of an effort....sounded familiar. Not sure if Finland’s government leaders called masks “politically correct”...
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Roll the tape.
It seemed to me that you were suggesting that Finland’s leaders were not proponents of mask usage. Seemed like early on there wasn’t much of an effort....sounded familiar. Not sure if Finland’s government leaders called masks “politically correct”...
another dead end.
alas.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Roll the tape.
another dead end.
alas.
Yep.

It started here: “denmark, finland... sound like you are advocating for no real mask use.

i don't think that would've played in today's media environment.”
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Roll the tape.
another dead end.
alas.
Yep.

It started here: “denmark, finland... sound like you are advocating for no real mask use.

#maskharder.

we're not masking hard enough. that's the problem (insert people you don't think are masking hard enough here).

you asked for questions. i gave you one. it started with that quote and ended with the solicited question above.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Roll the tape.
another dead end.
alas.
Yep.

#maskharder.

we're not masking hard enough. that's the problem (insert people you don't think are masking hard enough here).

you asked for questions. i gave you one. it started with that quote and ended with the solicited question above.
Masks are just part of the solution. Stay away from other people and wash your hands work better....if you can’t steer clear of other people, wear a mask and hope for the best. Other than grocery stores, I don’t wear a mask because other than my immediate household, I am not around other people. My wife wears a mask, as does her students, when she is lecturing. So far its been fine.....a minor sacrifice.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what i do... i don't go anywhere that i wouldn't have gone without a mask. how i make any decision.

i don't think the entire populace makes a decision based on the same. actually, i know they don't.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 pm what i do... i don't go anywhere that i wouldn't have gone without a mask. how i make any decision.

i don't think the entire populace makes a decision based on the same. actually, i know they don't.
Grocery shopping?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 pm what i do... i don't go anywhere that i wouldn't have gone without a mask. how i make any decision.

Grocery shopping?
yup. i'd do grocery shopping. but we don't. do curbside. why not?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Grocery shopping?
yup. i'd do grocery shopping. but we don't. do curbside. why not?
Why not is right. Beer runs are curbside for me. Anyway, off topic. I watched Gonzaga basketball today. Team is legit and the freshman Jalen Suggs is the real deal...his high school teammate was Chet Holmgren who may head there next year. He is a freak player. 7’1 with a handle but is rail thin.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yep. Outside of major cities and/or the South? You'll get funny looks if you wear a mask. I did anytime I was out during the harvest.

And I can tell you...each time idiot politicians like those in California and Denver flaunt safety guidance in the name of a fun night out? Folks rebel even more against masks and closures.

We have not done well in this mess. Not that that's a surprise....

Return to “POLITICS”