Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

It's not hard to find off campus housing. You turn on the internet, go to craigslist, or the Hopkins housing office website, find an appartment and voila! I know a lot of kids attending college as freshmen this fall whose parents did just that and even rented houses in case one of the kiddos got sick! In fact the freshmen probably would save $ because off campus is a lot less expensive food+housing than on campus. Again they're at Hopkins to play lacrosse, could they have gotten in w/out, who knows, point is they didn't get it done getting to campus altho I'm sure a few live nearby.

as far as training the team has dealt w/speed, strength, size, and physicality issues for more than a decade. I fail to continue to see his value.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 pm It's not hard to find off campus housing. You turn on the internet, go to craigslist, or the Hopkins housing office website, find an appartment and voila! I know a lot of kids attending college as freshmen this fall whose parents did just that and even rented houses in case one of the kiddos got sick! In fact the freshmen probably would save $ because off campus is a lot less expensive food+housing than on campus. Again they're at Hopkins to play lacrosse, could they have gotten in w/out, who knows, point is they didn't get it done getting to campus altho I'm sure a few live nearby.

as far as training the team has dealt w/speed, strength, size, and physicality issues for more than a decade. I fail to continue to see his value.
My apologies. I mis-interpreted your earlier post.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 pm as far as training the team has dealt w/speed, strength, size, and physicality issues for more than a decade. I fail to continue to see his value.
It has been so obvious that some of the ACC schools in particular are way ahead of Hopkins in speed, strength and size. Duke,UVA and Carolina come to mind immediately. I have always chalked it up to recruiting but now I’m not so sure, maybe it has been the training.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:08 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:04 pm as far as training the team has dealt w/speed, strength, size, and physicality issues for more than a decade. I fail to continue to see his value.
It has been so obvious that some of the ACC schools in particular are way ahead of Hopkins in speed, strength and size. Duke,UVA and Carolina come to mind immediately. I have always chalked it up to recruiting but now I’m not so sure, maybe it has been the training.
Gotta love how Cuse isn't mentioned here when last meeting they routed Jays at Homewood and without the services of their two best defenders.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Routing Hopkins was not very exclusive company in recent years.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:42 am Routing Hopkins was not very exclusive company in recent years.
Not the point wombat. To specifically mention those ACC teams and not Syracuse is either uniformed or disrespectful.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:59 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:42 am Routing Hopkins was not very exclusive company in recent years.
Not the point wombat. To specifically mention those ACC teams and not Syracuse is either uniformed or disrespectful.
Lol there always has to be some ulterior motive. I'd say it's more likely those were just the teams he thought of. And that might be for good reason. Since 2015 (last time Hop was in the Final Four), they are 2-3 against Syracuse but have actually outscored them 55-54 in those meetings. It's been a close series and if you want to play the "rout" game then I'm sure you'll recall that it was only two years ago the Blue Jays won in the most lopsided result in the series since...ever? Having seen every Hopkins game in full I'd say that UNC (and Duke, obviously) has been the faster and more physically imposing ACC opponent. I guess he could have said Cuse instead of UVA but at that point you're really splitting hairs.

Anyway back to the original point—I'm not sure any size/speed differential with the competition has anything to do with the strength & conditioning coach. It's recruiting. Petro recruited a bunch of munchkin middies. We've known this for years. We've talked about it for years. Jay Dyer can't make a kid taller or, really, faster. Speed is usually something you just have or you don't. You can get a little more nimble and agile over time but if you're slow as a sloth there's nothing any strength coach can do about that. If you start recruiting a bunch of Evan Zinns in the middle of the field—instead of one every few years—then you'll notice a difference.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Uniformed?

You disrespect yourself.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:51 am
Uniformed?

You disrespect yourself.
Follow the thread wombat. I was referring to flalax22's comment, not yours.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 am
Lol there always has to be some ulterior motive. I'd say it's more likely those were just the teams he thought of. And that might be for good reason. Since 2015 (last time Hop was in the Final Four), they are 2-3 against Syracuse but have actually outscored them 55-54 in those meetings. It's been a close series and if you want to play the "rout" game then I'm sure you'll recall that it was only two years ago the Blue Jays won in the most lopsided result in the series since...ever? Having seen every Hopkins game in full I'd say that UNC (and Duke, obviously) has been the faster and more physically imposing ACC opponent. I guess he could have said Cuse instead of UVA but at that point you're really splitting hairs.
Read. His comments were made in regards to current teams. The accurate thing to say would have been, all ACC teams.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:14 am
Gotta love how Cuse isn't mentioned here when last meeting they routed Jays at Homewood and without the services of their two best defenders.
No grand conspiracy. I watch most games and Hop has been very competitive with Cuse lately. I don’t remember Cuse being THAT much bigger faster and stronger than the Jays. While that is my perspective about the teams mentioned.

Btw - Oswald was a patsy
tech37

Post by tech37 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:54 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:14 am
No grand conspiracy. I watch most games and Hop has been very competitive with Cuse lately. I don’t remember Cuse being THAT much bigger faster and stronger than the Jays. While that is my perspective about the teams mentioned.

Btw - Oswald was a patsy
Ha, okay sure.

Best of luck to the Bluejays going forward. Perhaps with their new coaches and improved recruiting they will be able to compete more successfully with all of the current ACC teams, including Syracuse.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 pm
Uniformed?

You disrespect yourself.
YOU still don’t get it.

Uniformed?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Uniformed?

You disrespect yourself.
YOU still don’t get it.

Uniformed?
Spelling not always a strong suit 8-)

Kind of anal on your part dude :?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

tech37 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:24 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Uniformed?

You disrespect yourself.
YOU still don’t get it.

Uniformed?
Spelling not always a strong suit 8-)

Kind of anal on your part dude :?
Come into our house - better show your education!!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 am

Anyway back to the original point—I'm not sure any size/speed differential with the competition has anything to do with the strength & conditioning coach. It's recruiting. Petro recruited a bunch of munchkin middies. We've known this for years. We've talked about it for years. Jay Dyer can't make a kid taller or, really, faster. Speed is usually something you just have or you don't. You can get a little more nimble and agile over time but if you're slow as a sloth there's nothing any strength coach can do about that. If you start recruiting a bunch of Evan Zinns in the middle of the field—instead of one every few years—then you'll notice a difference.
i don't think uva means anything anymore as they're not on the schedule.
mocking jay

Post by mocking jay »

Petro recruiting midgets??? Not so long ago a couple of people were touring a team as one of the best that featured a midget midfield.

If anyone things a coach for a team with aspirations is deliberately not recruiting blue chip players they are delusional. How big is Grimes? Hopkins lost three likely starters from the class. Petro the new D coordinator. How big is he???

He lost the recruiting battle for players. It would be better to ask why?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

mocking jay wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:15 pm Petro recruiting midgets??? Not so long ago a couple of people were touring a team as one of the best that featured a midget midfield.

If anyone things a coach for a team with aspirations is deliberately not recruiting blue chip players they are delusional. How big is Grimes? Hopkins lost three likely starters from the class. Petro the new D coordinator. How big is he???

o'canada?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

No one said Petro deliberately didn't recruit blue chip players. What a ridiculous straw man you've pulled out of thin air. That said, it is an indisputable fact that we've been undersized and outmatched at both offensive and defensive midfield more often than not in the last several years. You can chalk that up to a variety of reasons—frankly I don't think it matters anymore.

The rest of that post...I'm at a loss. Someone else is going to have to help me out here
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 pm
mocking jay wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:15 pm Petro recruiting midgets??? Not so long ago a couple of people were touring a team as one of the best that featured a midget midfield.

o'canada?
OC
OC
0802ABA0-56DD-45BB-949C-9FD2C5296EA8.jpeg (81.67 KiB) Viewed 2507 times

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”