Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I thought they were building some big ass thing south, near Remington. Is that thing still planned as well?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

says a lot about how good things are going for the university that they have the dough to redo the athletic center and matin area that they redid 20 years ago. A lot of schools have trouble raising money for that kind of thing because it's not splashy. There was something in the google alerts that Daniels just dropped $6 million on a California estate, all those cornell willis b1g tourney champ tee shirt purchases seem to have university coffers flowing.

I was going to do a post examining on the potential we do have a season there's an unfortunate likelihood we will see guys miss time for corona issues and what the depth looks like across the roster and compared to rival programs. There's also the issue of what happens if we have opponents who miss games and given our location we're arguably best positioned of anyone in the country to get makeup games w/out much travel scheduled on the fly.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

33rd and Charles? Which corner? Aren’t they making the Charles into a new hotel? And the SE corner is newish buildings too. I’m just having a hard time envisioning where this is going. I mean they’re not going to build it on the beach?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:31 pm 33rd and Charles? Which corner? Aren’t they making the Charles into a new hotel? And the SE corner is newish buildings too. I’m just having a hard time envisioning where this is going. I mean they’re not going to build it on the beach?
The new reportedly $250 million, solar-powered student center will replace the Mattin Center and Whitehead Hall, both of which will be demolished. The Merrick Barn will be preserved.

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/j ... od-campus/

DocBarrister 8-)
Last edited by DocBarrister on Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kins/57034

Brendan Grimes
He leads a nice class which, for what it’s worth, has three 5-star recruits.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

“Getting kicked off by fourth-graders is definitely a humbling experience."

New coach Peter Milliman hasn't been able to coach his players. But the Jays are managing.

From US Lacrosse magazine:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -practices
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:55 pm “Getting kicked off by fourth-graders is definitely a humbling experience."

New coach Peter Milliman hasn't been able to coach his players. But the Jays are managing.

From US Lacrosse magazine:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -practices
In a rough year for the program maybe their roughest since the second world war, that story is really special and says a lot about the program and the kids. There are a lot of fans that read this and hate Hopkins and we might be even tougher as alums, maybe just me, but

"Some financially pinched players have set up weight sets in their apartments and followed Dyer’s workout suggestions at home."

that's really impressive.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The culture was already changing prior to the new regime's arrival, but I fully expect it to continue and now be further reinforced. #32 has a lot to do with it. If the team isn't successful over the next few years it won't be because they're not putting the work in.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The best thing I read there was that they are having FUN.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 am The best thing I read there was that they are having FUN.
And I bet that leads to WINNING.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

Happy Thanksgiving Jays fans. Hopeful for a lax season in 2021.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm The culture was already changing prior to the new regime's arrival, but I fully expect it to continue and now be further reinforced. #32 has a lot to do with it. If the team isn't successful over the next few years it won't be because they're not putting the work in.
Was it really though? Reading the comments from Williams and Epstein it sure sounds like they were wound tighter than a drum previously. Maybe I’m reading too much into these comments but I’m not sure I am. It sounds like there was a real culture of “afraid to make mistakes” and I believe that’s on the previous regime.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:39 pm The culture was already changing prior to the new regime's arrival, but I fully expect it to continue and now be further reinforced. #32 has a lot to do with it. If the team isn't successful over the next few years it won't be because they're not putting the work in.
Was it really though? Reading the comments from Williams and Epstein it sure sounds like they were wound tighter than a drum previously. Maybe I’m reading too much into these comments but I’m not sure I am. It sounds like there was a real culture of “afraid to make mistakes” and I believe that’s on the previous regime.
The teams played with “rabbit ears” throughout those two decades.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Sent to me by a friend (yes, I have real friends, not imaginary ones):

A man buys a parrot, only to have it constantly insult him. He tries everything to make the parrot stop, but nothing works.

Frustrated, the man puts the parrot in the freezer. After a few minutes the insults stop. The man thinks he might have killed the parrot, so he opens the freezer and takes the parrot out.

The parrot is shivering. It stammers, “S-s-sorry for being r-r-rude. Please f-f-forgive me.”

Then, after a moment, the parrot softly asks, “W-w-what exactly d-d-did the turkey do?”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Happy Thanksgiving 2020
Happy Thanksgiving 2020
E09746AD-13C0-4975-8122-5BCD9C0790DE.jpeg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:03 am
That's a fair reading of things, but I didn't mean in terms of style of play, but rather simply work ethic/doing the things off the field that it takes to be successful on the field. One could argue that (with a few exceptions of course), that wasn't happening on a team level for the past several years. But in the last year or so that's changed, and I think it has more to do with the players than the coaches. From the current junior class on down, there's been a change in mentality. Again I don't know if that will ultimately translate to more wins but if it doesn't that won't be because these kids aren't putting extra work in.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:02 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:12 am The best thing I read there was that they are having FUN.
And I bet that leads to WINNING.
And, of course, winning makes everything else more fun. A virtuous cycle for a change.

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving. For Old Hopper (I hope he is healthy), the Merlot course can start in half an hour.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Lacrosse media is very protective of the game, the players, the coaches and here you have 2 whammo quotes. The players received professional media training, were trained to say nothing to the press, played for Petro for years and they have identical quotes saying he was misreble to play for.

-I was also flummoxed by the lines about kids not being able to find off campus housing, struggling to pay for it and not being able to pay for training. These kids are not from zamunda, they received preferred admission to go to hopkins, in many cases receive aid and scholarship $ to go here, and they can't find housing and afford training?

another article next to this one about returning coaches struggling to fit kids in, and the budget issues. I always forget how many kids decided not to come back for a 5th year, transferred out, decommitted, but I don't think we have this problem.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

-I was also flummoxed by the lines about kids not being able to find off campus housing, struggling to pay for it and not being able to pay for training.
I am flummoxed about your flummox. A D1 scholly is a D1 scholly. No extras ("training" or additional housing allowances) are allowed. NCAA restricts training/practice hours. NCAA restricts # of coaches and interaction of 'volunteers'.

Now what Hopkins could do is to increase their COA budget* for ALL students who live off campus, and that would increase the amount of $$ that a D1 scholarship covers for off-campus living. But it would also increase the grant amount given to every off campus student on finaid.

*The on campus budget is ~$3500 more than living off campus. Presumably, the office of Finaid has some sort of justification for its numbers (as they are auditable by the feds).

https://finaid.jhu.edu/undergraduate-ai ... t-tuition/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”