All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am
CU88 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 am NBC News confirms: There have been 194,160 new COVID-19 cases in the U.S. today, a new single-day record. ⁦‪@NBCNews‬⁩

11/20/20, 10:15 PM
rate of change slowing. finally. hope it sticks.
Continuing to slow would be even better (You left it hanging over the plate). Hope you are having as beautiful a day as we are having up here.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm Interesting meta analysis from Lancet Microbe looking at viral load, and viral shedding. It does a little comparison between COVID-19, MERS and SARS as well.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanm ... 5/fulltext

Interesting take aways, IMO, there is a prolonged viral shedding of up to 83 days but an inability to culture active virus after 9 days of onset of symptoms. No successful culture of virus below a certain threshold and it suggest most infectious stage is as people have thought, early in the onset of the disease.

This would suggest to me that a great strategy for heading off the spread of this thing would be self administered home rapid tests.

If you want to read more on that avenue you may want to check out Michael Mina, a Harvard Epidemiologist, Immunologist. He is pretty adamant on the strategy. To me, it makes sense the more I read about it.

Here is a quote of a recent article he wrote: "
Widespread and frequent rapid antigen testing (public health screening to suppress outbreaks) is the best possible tool we have at our disposal today—and we are not using it."

Here is the article:https://time.com/5912705/covid-19-stop- ... christmas/
thanks. seems people got the infectious part largely right early on.

interesting and good to see a cheap solution (no barrier there) that would have a built in accuracy platform. that's what, the ability to get out 330 million kits to perform billions of tests... does mina have a breakdown of how quickly that could be accomplished anywhere?

univ of illinois has tried similar plan, to mixed results. outside of upper bound models bc they didn't foresee kids would still go to parties, not take the call on results, not cooperate with contact tracing.

very difficult to impossible to model behavior.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm Interesting meta analysis from Lancet Microbe looking at viral load, and viral shedding. It does a little comparison between COVID-19, MERS and SARS as well.

Interesting take aways, IMO, there is a prolonged viral shedding of up to 83 days but an inability to culture active virus after 9 days of onset of symptoms. No successful culture of virus below a certain threshold and it suggest most infectious stage is as people have thought, early in the onset of the disease.

This would suggest to me that a great strategy for heading off the spread of this thing would be self administered home rapid tests.

If you want to read more on that avenue you may want to check out Michael Mina, a Harvard Epidemiologist, Immunologist. He is pretty adamant on the strategy. To me, it makes sense the more I read about it.

Widespread and frequent rapid antigen testing (public health screening to suppress outbreaks) is the best possible tool we have at our disposal today—and we are not using it."

I would suspect that would be a good short term goal of Biden when he takes office. It is too bad that Trump is still wanting to have low testing to "look" better rather than doing the right thing.
... your analysis appears correct. My concern with at home testing in general is, it will not gain us much given the current attitudes among the populous. If you believe it is a hoax, are you going to run the test. If you run the test, are you going to believe the results and act on them. I am skeptical. In a world where we didn't have to contend with dumbasses this would all work great.
The nice thing about this approach is even if only half the population uses it - it still works, just a bit more slowly...
... don't get me wrong, I see the massive potential for this technology. The technology is not the problem. It's the morons who don't believe in science.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/21/americas ... index.html

Those crazy Canucks....Must not realize Trump lost.
“I wish you would!”
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Another positive rapid test result on Thursday after receiving text I was in contact with a positive tested person.
No symptoms except fatigue like the first time. Just sleeping the days and nights away.
Waiting for the result of swab sent to lab.
So 2 positives and 2 negatives so far with a no antigen/antibody in blood for last bloodwork.
Pulse Oximeter numbers are above normal and temperature is fine.
I think I am getting snow jobbed and no one really knows what this ducking thing is.
The parent, not the coach.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Jim Malone wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 pm Another positive rapid test result on Thursday after receiving text I was in contact with a positive tested person.
No symptoms except fatigue like the first time. Just sleeping the days and nights away.
Waiting for the result of swab sent to lab.
So 2 positives and 2 negatives so far with a no antigen/antibody in blood for last bloodwork.
Pulse Oximeter numbers are above normal and temperature is fine.
I think I am getting snow jobbed and no one really knows what this ducking thing is.
PCR test results?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

I would suspect that would be a good short term goal of Biden when he takes office. It is too bad that Trump is still wanting to have low testing to "look" better rather than doing the right thing.
... your analysis appears correct. My concern with at home testing in general is, it will not gain us much given the current attitudes among the populous. If you believe it is a hoax, are you going to run the test. If you run the test, are you going to believe the results and act on them. I am skeptical. In a world where we didn't have to contend with dumbasses this would all work great.
The nice thing about this approach is even if only half the population uses it - it still works, just a bit more slowly...
... don't get me wrong, I see the massive potential for this technology. The technology is not the problem. It's the morons who don't believe in science.
This article is from the first two known people that were closely monitored and treated only with oxygen, they did not seem to cause great alarm from the finding: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7036338/

If home testing is going to be used, it MUST be as simple as a pregnancy test, and each family will need dozens and each test MUST be standardized .....which is why I do not believe it will ever happen.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm
jhu72 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:29 pm

This article is from the first two known people that were closely monitored and treated only with oxygen, they did not seem to cause great alarm from the finding: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7036338/

If home testing is going to be used, it MUST be as simple as a pregnancy test, and each family will need dozens and each test MUST be standardized .....which is why I do not believe it will ever happen.
if you get pregnant once, can you get it again? how long would immunity last, at least 9 months?
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm If home testing is going to be used, it MUST be as simple as a pregnancy test, and each family will need dozens and each test MUST be standardized .....which is why I do not believe it will ever happen.
Agree re home testing. In my area, it is quite difficult to get a test, any test, right now. I was told by the county health department that that is because of the upcoming holiday which is sorta, kinda when you’d like testing to be available.

But don’t worry. Help is on the way on Jan. 20. 😀
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55029401

Lockdowns don’t work. It is better to let the people decide on their own the best way to fight the virus. Individual Irresponsibility is the best practice!!
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:06 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:30 pm If home testing is going to be used, it MUST be as simple as a pregnancy test, and each family will need dozens and each test MUST be standardized .....which is why I do not believe it will ever happen.
Agree re home testing. In my area, it is quite difficult to get a test, any test, right now. I was told by the county health department that that is because of the upcoming holiday which is sorta, kinda when you’d like testing to be available.

But don’t worry. Help is on the way on Jan. 20. 😀
Just had an excellent experience with testing required by the club community in Florida we are visiting for at least a month...needed to quarantine for 3 days on arrival then test and quarantine until clear. The test was a mouth swab PCR and results back in 24 hours (much faster than some other testing sites apparently). Arrived on a Monday night, clear on Thursday. Able to play golf etc with own cart in the meantime, but couldn't use gym, outside dining, etc until cleared...no problem.

Had to wait for about an hour in line for the test, but pretty darn good all things being considered. I was also pleased that the testing process differentiated upfront between those being tested for travel reasons and less likely to have the virus and those with known exposure or symptoms, separate waiting areas and processes. Safer. But I know that timetable is not the case in areas with the most acceleration in the virus...really tough to get a test unless showing symptoms...way too late...
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 am

thanks. seems people got the infectious part largely right early on.

interesting and good to see a cheap solution (no barrier there) that would have a built in accuracy platform. that's what, the ability to get out 330 million kits to perform billions of tests... does mina have a breakdown of how quickly that could be accomplished anywhere?

univ of illinois has tried similar plan, to mixed results. outside of upper bound models bc they didn't foresee kids would still go to parties, not take the call on results, not cooperate with contact tracing.

very difficult to impossible to model behavior.
I have not seen a breakdown, sorry.

I agree with your behavior statement. Sometimes you just scratch your head
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.politico.eu/article/discont ... ses-spike/

I am a big believer in personal irresponsibility!
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm ...really tough to get a test unless showing symptoms...way too late...
Where are you seeing it rough to get a test? I have had over over 25 men in the DMV get tests within hours/same day....no problems whatsoever.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Fighting the pandemic and its global economic impact dominated the Group of 20 summit, which began on Saturday and continues today.

Heads of state of the world’s richest countries and the European Union spoke about the battle against the coronavirus and potential debt relief for poor countries hit hard by the pandemic.

President Trump briefly participated in the summit from the White House, but skipped the event on pandemic preparedness and instead headed to his Virginia country club for a round of golf.

United States
Total cases 12,200,000

Deaths 256,000

Deaths reports for Nov 21, 2020 1,428
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm ...really tough to get a test unless showing symptoms...way too late...
Where are you seeing it rough to get a test? I have had over over 25 men in the DMV get tests within hours/same day....no problems whatsoever.
I haven't personally seen the issue and described a good experience, however: https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-covid-tes ... s-holidays

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/health/c ... index.html
njbill

Post by njbill »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am
I haven't personally seen the issue and described a good experience, however: https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-covid-tes ... s-holidays

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/health/c ... index.html
I have, in Burlington County. Drug stores are all booked up and aren’t even taking any appointments right now (I’ve tried and this is the response I got on the website).

The county has testing, but only a couple of days a week. I am going to try to get a test on Tuesday, but was warned by the county that the lines will be long due to the upcoming holiday. The county tests on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I can’t get in on Tuesday, I will have to wait a week since they are closed on Thanksgiving day.

The above is to get an asymptomatic test. Around here, people are lying and say they have symptoms in order to get a test (easier to get if you have symptoms).

Anecdotally, it was easier to get tests earlier, but right now it is very difficult.

If only I were a college or pro athlete. :evil:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you're not lying to get a test? rookie.
ggait

Post by ggait »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:04 am you're not lying to get a test? rookie.
Around here, you def have to lie to get a test.

I was able to get a Walgreens test booked four days out. Three days to get the result.

And that was because I (cough cough) had a cough.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

More changing of the narrative.

We were told earlier this summer outdoors were safe, no risk. Studies touted little to no transmission among youth during outdoor athletics.

Suddenly the tune changes - They wont move the general public back to phase 1 in fear of upsetting small busness owners, or upsettign people Thanksgiving plans. But instead shut down outdoor athletics fields and youth programs.

Doing something worthless/harmful just to do it. Ignoring real steps. The politics is unreal. Complete bs.

Return to “POLITICS”