All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

jhu72

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 am A secret that Gov. Hogan has been hiding. :(
hiding? this was all known a few weeks after his big show. it was also known, as stated in the article, that cheaper domestic tests were widely available and being solicited to states prior to the deal.

but he got a lot of short term mileage out of it.
... first I recall hearing of the problem with the first batch of tests.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:15 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 am Mitigation efforts don’t work. Leave it up to the people to decide how they want to fight the pandemic!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/europe/c ... index.html
The wife and I have begun gargling with clorox. If you don't swallow it your good to go, plus you get whiter teeth.
not really gonna work as intended that way. it's not mouthwash.
Damn..😀
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Bart

Post by Bart »

Interesting meta analysis from Lancet Microbe looking at viral load, and viral shedding. It does a little comparison between COVID-19, MERS and SARS as well.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanm ... 5/fulltext

Interesting take aways, IMO, there is a prolonged viral shedding of up to 83 days but an inability to culture active virus after 9 days of onset of symptoms. No successful culture of virus below a certain threshold and it suggest most infectious stage is as people have thought, early in the onset of the disease.

This would suggest to me that a great strategy for heading off the spread of this thing would be self administered home rapid tests.

If you want to read more on that avenue you may want to check out Michael Mina, a Harvard Epidemiologist, Immunologist. He is pretty adamant on the strategy. To me, it makes sense the more I read about it.

Here is a quote of a recent article he wrote: "
Widespread and frequent rapid antigen testing (public health screening to suppress outbreaks) is the best possible tool we have at our disposal today—and we are not using it."

Here is the article:https://time.com/5912705/covid-19-stop- ... christmas/
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm Interesting meta analysis from Lancet Microbe looking at viral load, and viral shedding. It does a little comparison between COVID-19, MERS and SARS as well.

Interesting take aways, IMO, there is a prolonged viral shedding of up to 83 days but an inability to culture active virus after 9 days of onset of symptoms. No successful culture of virus below a certain threshold and it suggest most infectious stage is as people have thought, early in the onset of the disease.

This would suggest to me that a great strategy for heading off the spread of this thing would be self administered home rapid tests.

If you want to read more on that avenue you may want to check out Michael Mina, a Harvard Epidemiologist, Immunologist. He is pretty adamant on the strategy. To me, it makes sense the more I read about it.

Widespread and frequent rapid antigen testing (public health screening to suppress outbreaks) is the best possible tool we have at our disposal today—and we are not using it."

I would suspect that would be a good short term goal of Biden when he takes office. It is too bad that Trump is still wanting to have low testing to "look" better rather than doing the right thing.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:15 am A secret that Gov. Hogan has been hiding. :(
hiding? this was all known a few weeks after his big show. it was also known, as stated in the article, that cheaper domestic tests were widely available and being solicited to states prior to the deal.

but he got a lot of short term mileage out of it.
... first I recall hearing of the problem with the first batch of tests.
Hogan just appeared on Meet The Press Daily to address this story. Todd, like myself, was unaware of the failed first batch of tests. So this must not have been well publicized. Hogan claims the story is all wrong without addressing specific issues. Not a hard hitting interview. Hogan denied and Todd did not follow up.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bart wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm Interesting meta analysis from Lancet Microbe looking at viral load, and viral shedding. It does a little comparison between COVID-19, MERS and SARS as well.

Thanks foe posting that
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm

I would suspect that would be a good short term goal of Biden when he takes office. It is too bad that Trump is still wanting to have low testing to "look" better rather than doing the right thing.
... your analysis appears correct. My concern with at home testing in general is, it will not gain us much given the current attitudes among the populous. If you believe it is a hoax, are you going to run the test. If you run the test, are you going to believe the results and act on them. I am skeptical. In a world where we didn't have to contend with dumbasses this would all work great.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm

... your analysis appears correct. My concern with at home testing in general is, it will not gain us much given the current attitudes among the populous. If you believe it is a hoax, are you going to run the test. If you run the test, are you going to believe the results and act on them. I am skeptical. In a world where we didn't have to contend with dumbasses this would all work great.
The nice thing about this approach is even if only half the population uses it - it still works, just a bit more slowly...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 am
6ftstick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 am Who would have more statistics, data, reports, resarch and anecdotal information on the lethality of the coronavirus than a governor of the 8th largest economy in the world and the President of his state Medical Association? 9 months of data State wide, nationally, and globally.

Its how they make their recommendations to close schools, lockdown small businesses, mandate masks and social distancing. What allows them to deny constitutional guarantees of freedom.

This photo shows you everything you need to know about the coronavirus and its danger to us all.

newsom-3.jpg

Thats the Governor of California, the President of the California Medical Association their chief Lobyist and some friends. Representing five different households dining together. Completely unprotected and unafraid of catching or succumbing to the coronavirus.

Tell us again this isn't about power!
It shows how arrogant people can be, as well as how folks were getting WAY too relaxed a month ago. Big embarrassment for Newsom, he's apologized, said it was wrong to do. Morning Joe ripped and ripped on him this AM.

6ft, what "constitutional guarantees of freedom" have you been denied?

Love hearing from a Constitutional scholar... :roll:
wgdsr, sure there's indeed some history, this isn't the first time 6ft has claimed that his Constitutional rights have been abridged. and each time, he fails to make a solid case for that actually being true.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.
IMO...does my adding IMO help?

so, yeah, my saying that he's no "Constitutional scholar" could easily be called "condescending". I definitely don't have a high opinion of 6ft's comprehension of the Constitution.

Do I need to add a laughing emoji? Or would that make it just more condescending?

At least I give him the respect of engaging with his statements, inviting him to explain and defend his views.

But that's met with GFY.
And that's quite often the sort of response we get when there's actual pushback.

did I offend you in some other way, wgdsr? My response to the mask study?
i can assure you i don't have any affront to your particular opinion of mask studies. it doesn't run very deep.
how am i doing so far in response to that unrelated crack?

your tone here sucks on this. pointing it out for ya. you should fully expect a gfy in reply if that's how you "engage". imo. when i'm a wise ass, it is 99+% (i hope) as response in kind or a general statement as opposed to an attack on an individual here, and anyone is free to wear the shoe if it fits or not. so maybe this is just an extended grudge or something of equally culpable ends and i should butt out. though i do note that it's your opinion of his opinion/knowledge that you mention as history.

what helps me on here... any contentious slate is generally wiped clean for me with anyone asap. or i try. doesn't mean it won't pick up again at a later date if re-lit, but tends to help my end of discourse.

or do it your way.
My response to the mask study was indeed not intended to be 'deep', as I found it to be really not that interesting, for much the same set of reasons others did. Just doesn't tell us anything useful, and so I'm not sure why it deserves the additional attention in any deeper detail. But maybe for some, simply the exercise is interesting? No issue with that from me. My response wasn't intended to be dismissive of anything you had posted, I was just wondering what had rankled you in particular that caused you to step in about my tone.
your opinion is fine and expected. much more important is that a bunch of agnostic scientists and potentially policymakers take the data point and know that it could be incredibly useful in helping understand where to go with the information.
I do get annoyed with the questioning of whether masks help reduce spread...so my tone on that topic may be strained.

I also have a difficult time reading whether someone is intending to just be funny or a 'wise-ass' or is actually seriously being offensive, and I suspect my posts can be just as ambiguous at times. That said, sometimes I'm indeed dismissive, based on the repeated choices of a fellow poster...as was the case here with 6ft. And sure, that can come across as 'condescending'.

I'm definitely on edge with the nonsense.

Serious question: You seem to have an issue with folks stating conflicting opinions, and why, as if that's not reasonable? Everything needs to established as factual?
no issue with opinions at all. don't think i've ever said otherwise. quite the opposite, in fact, and have expressed that plenty. maybe ambiguously or in code in the short form of the internet, that can happen in chats vs. live conversations if you let it (i do). varied opinions make the country great. makes fanlax a place of discourse and not "an echo chamber". what a boring and dangerous place we'd live in if there wasn't differing opinion.
most of my alluding to opinions vs. facts revolves around how people communicate. everyone has their own style of writing, and as an example yours often bends toward proclamations that read as facts when they are, in fact, opinions. (that's my opinion) i attempt to couch much of mine as opinions or guesswork, or so i think, and i often fail that test. that's not a slight to you, we all do that in conversation. for effect, to bolster credibility... it's not uncommon or even necessarily duplicitous. i adjust per poster and add the "IMO" in my reading comprehension accordingly. and point it out occasionally.
if you're referring to my quote above to any degree, i simply noted that your defense for taking your shots was that your history with 6ft was one of differing opinion.

This discussion above was precipitated by a critique of Newsom, with which I agreed on principle. But then the 'opinion' discussion continued re 'Constitutional freedoms', something that perplexed me, that I sensed was more over the top, right wing hyperbole.

I'm on edge with that as well...just watch Guiliani...

Perhaps I just need a good workout, get a good sweat...
ggait

Post by ggait »

I'm on edge with that as well...just watch Guiliani...

Perhaps I just need a good workout, get a good sweat...
So Giuliani's son (who works at the WH) just got his C+. Attended his Dad's crazy press conference yesterday, which was pretty lightly masked.

So wondering whether Rudy's flop sweat might have been something else...

Best case is that none of Rudy, Kraken Sid or Jenna Lair get infected. But will have to quarantine and (hopefully) just disappear. Which would be a blessing.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Thanks for this Bart. Interesting.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"...Rudy, Kraken Sid or Jenna Lair...."

EST -- Elite Strike Team.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Alex Baze@bazecraze
5 days ago
Bringing a deadly disease to people with little to no immunity is a very authentic Thanksgiving reenactment.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What is common with the states that are leading the way in the wrong direction? tightest lockdowns maybe?

https://rt.live/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:55 pm What is common with the states that are leading the way in the wrong direction? tightest lockdowns maybe?

https://rt.live/
Yes. Obviously no intervention is better. Good site.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gene experts claim they identified genes that can protect against Covid-19

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/20/crispr- ... idappshare
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm Gene experts claim they identified genes that can protect against Covid-19

That is a good article. Watched a program on CRISPR a few weeks ago with my wife. Fascinating but what do scientists know? Wishful thinking is better.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.keyc.com/2020/11/20/fema-am ... hospitals/

Needed for motorcycle accidents and flu.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:11 pm https://www.keyc.com/2020/11/20/fema-am ... hospitals/

Needed for motorcycle accidents and flu.
:roll: Officials say 800 Allina workers, 905 Mayo Clinic employees, and 1,200 workers at CentraCare are currently out due to COVID-19 or exposure. Must suck to have to take 14+ days off when you are not even sick.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
njbill

Post by njbill »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:25 pm Gene experts claim they identified genes that can protect against Covid-19

That is a good article. Watched a program on CRISPR a few weeks ago with my wife. Fascinating but what do scientists know? Wishful thinking is better.
Scientists invented Clorox which cures the coronavirus. So they have that going for them.

Return to “POLITICS”