2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: 2020 Elections - Donald Trump FIRED

Post by jhu72 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:55 pm re: Giuliani's press conference

Erick Erickson
@EWErickson
2h
I feel very sorry for the people who believe the nonsense we just heard. There are a lot of broken people who are being lied to and many of them want to believe the lie because their religion has become politics and they cannot believe their god is abandoning them.
+1 Not only do they get to not believe it, but they get to pay for it through Trump's scam legal fund.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I warned about this potential scenario earlier this year. Trump is working to get Republican state legislators to throw out the popularly elected slate of electors and to substitute their own. There are statutory restrictions on such a move in some states, but Trump is trying to use the courts to get around those restrictions.

DETROIT (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s strategy for retaining power despite losing the U.S. election is focused increasingly on persuading Republican legislators to intervene on his behalf in battleground states Democrat Joe Biden won, three people familiar with the effort said.

... Trump’s lawyers are seeking to take the power of appointing electors away from the governors and secretaries of state and give it to friendly state lawmakers from his party, saying the U.S. Constitution gives legislatures the ultimate authority.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN27Z30G

Trump’s actions are probably the best argument against the Electoral College.

Trump’s attacks on our democracy are dangerous and highly damaging.

His recent attacks on the election were never amusing, and I think more serious attention needs to be focused on his despicable attempts to undermine our democracy.

Shame on anyone who ever supported this authoritarian piece of trash.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm I warned about this potential scenario earlier this year. Trump is working to get Republican state legislators to throw out the popularly elected slate of electors and to substitute their own. There are statutory restrictions on such a move in some states, but Trump is trying to use the courts to get around those restrictions.

DETROIT (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s strategy for retaining power despite losing the U.S. election is focused increasingly on persuading Republican legislators to intervene on his behalf in battleground states Democrat Joe Biden won, three people familiar with the effort said.

... Trump’s lawyers are seeking to take the power of appointing electors away from the governors and secretaries of state and give it to friendly state lawmakers from his party, saying the U.S. Constitution gives legislatures the ultimate authority.

His recent attacks on the election were never amusing, and I think more serious attention needs to be focused on his despicable attempts to undermine our democracy.

DocBarrister
as long as we modify the constitution here and there, i'm fine with popular vote per state, certified by sos, gets the slate of electors per state. period. deal?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm I warned about this potential scenario earlier this year. Trump is working to get Republican state legislators to throw out the popularly elected slate of electors and to substitute their own. There are statutory restrictions on such a move in some states, but Trump is trying to use the courts to get around those restrictions.

DocBarrister
as long as we modify the constitution here and there, i'm fine with popular vote per state, certified by sos, gets the slate of electors per state. period. deal?
Absolutely not.

Direct popular vote election of the president is the only solution, whether by removing the now untenable weird compromise of the EC via amendment, or using the Popular Vote Compact. Position of Pres/VP is national - therefore the election should be.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm This is what most of the Republican party has become, as by either supporting the coup attempt or being silent about it they are complicit.
I'm curious what happens post-Georgia...
Unfortunately, Georgia does not come soon enough. The (R)'s are afraid to pull the plug on Trump because they think they need him for GA. If he drags this out much longer, he'll become a net liability there.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister
But he is pro military!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:02 pm

DocBarrister
Absolutely not.

Direct popular vote election of the president is the only solution, whether by removing the now untenable weird compromise of the EC via amendment, or using the Popular Vote Compact. Position of Pres/VP is national - therefore the election should be.
america has always been a place for opinions to be heard. so good on ya, no issues with opinions.
mine is with founding fathers' intentions. our government construct has lasted a long time, and not by accident. flawed at the outset but the ideal for what they were looking to achieve continues to have foresight. imo.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister
Absolutely not.

Very much agree. We need the national popular vote to elect the president.

Imagine, instead of the election being waged in a select few “battleground” states, we would have presidential candidates visiting just about every corner of the country. How about a Democratic presidential candidate visiting Birmingham, Alabama during the general election? A Republican could visit NYC to pump up Republican turnout in Manhattan.

It’s certainly better than the Electoral College, a moronic remnant of the 18th century.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:22 pm

DocBarrister
Absolutely not.

america has always been a place for opinions to be heard. so good on ya, no issues with opinions.
mine is with founding fathers' intentions. our government construct has lasted a long time, and not by accident. flawed at the outset but the ideal for what they were looking to achieve continues to have foresight. imo.
Same Founding Fathers thought it was acceptable to count African American slaves as 3/5 of a person.

We need to move on from what a group of wealthy white 18th century men thought would be good government.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

I have a challenge for anyone that voted for Trump.....
Take any 25 random tweets and read them aloud while standing in front of a mirror and then look in that mirror and say “this is the man I am devoted to to lead this nation”. Let me know if you could get through it without feeling small.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:27 pm

DocBarrister
Absolutely not.

Same Founding Fathers thought it was acceptable to count African American slaves as 3/5 of a person.

We need to move on from what a group of wealthy white 18th century men thought would be good government.

DocBarrister
already alluded to that. weak sauce. imo.
so trump's efforts to undermine democracy as set up for us are despicable, dangerous and damaging, but yours are a.o.k. gotcha. again, i'll go with the founding fathers. i'd guess their deal would last longer and with better results. for a reason.
calourie

Post by calourie »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:03 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:00 pm This is what most of the Republican party has become, as by either supporting the coup attempt or being silent about it they are complicit.
Unfortunately, Georgia does not come soon enough. The (R)'s are afraid to pull the plug on Trump because they think they need him for GA. If he drags this out much longer, he'll become a net liability there.
Salty, you still think Trump and his republican cronies are simply trying to assure that legitimate votes, and only legitimate votes count? Maybe Rudy can answer that one for us.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RT @MrChuckMartin: Biden is winning states twice now. That’s gotta sting.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
old salt

Post by old salt »

calourie wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:46 pm
Salty, you still think Trump and his republican cronies are simply trying to assure that legitimate votes, and only legitimate votes count? Maybe Rudy can answer that one for us.
I don't think anyone expects Trump to continue in office.
I think the GOP's goals are to :
1. win both GA Senate races
2. mollify & retain Trump supporters
3. demonstrate the vulnerability of universal unsolicited mail-in voting for future elections

If not for GA, I think the GOP would be nudging Trump to at least acknowledge that he has no viable path to re-election (without conceding or accepting the validity of the count) & let the transition commence.

I suspect that GOP leaders like McConnell, Cornyn & Blount are fed up with Trump, but know they still need him.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:33 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:27 pm

DocBarrister
Absolutely not.

DocBarrister
already alluded to that. weak sauce. imo.
so trump's efforts to undermine democracy as set up for us are despicable, dangerous and damaging, but yours are a.o.k. gotcha. again, i'll go with the founding fathers. i'd guess their deal would last longer and with better results. for a reason.
Their compromise, and compromised, Constitution failed spectacularly in 1861. This nation was preserved only by the lives of over 600,000 Americans. We don’t owe the Founding Fathers any deference ... not even the capitalized letters I used (out of habit).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm
3. demonstrate the vulnerability of universal unsolicited mail-in voting for future elections

If not for GA, I think the GOP would be nudging Trump to at least acknowledge that he has no viable path to re-election (without conceding or accepting the validity of the count) & let the transition commence.

I suspect that GOP leaders like McConnell, Cornyn & Blount are fed up with Trump, but know they still need him.
😂😂😂 Very benevolent of them!! What has been proven to be wrong with junk mail votes? Other than your guy losing?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

By "anyone", may we assume you mean those with half a brain, not deranged cultists?

Clearly there are a lot of Trump voters who still fall into the camp of "expects Trump to continue in office". They're downright rabid. And these are the people the GOP needs to continue to "mollify & retain"?

You slipped in the BS crack at the end about "vulnerability of universal unsolicited mail-in voting" as if that's actually been shown in this tragedy/comedy of a legal effort. You do realize that no such vulnerability has actually been demonstrated, right? There's a paper trail...and voters need to be matched to votes...

Return to “POLITICS”