All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

youthathletics

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 pm Again, the strain is important. WHAT are the strain numbers?

Getting away from the much more deadly, Chinese, Wuhan strain is a good thing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/local12.co ... cincinnati
What is interesting about that article is that in 2018 a SARS virus was killing pigs, it was just not jumping to humans at that point.

My pain point about the science is that we do not hear much about the science any longer. We do not hear about viral load of infections, we do not hear about what is truly going on with hospital patients like we did in Spring 2020. are our therapeutics working better....all we hear is run and hide, as if we've learned nothing but wear a damned mask and SD.

Like the 2018 article and like the past SARS/MERS...they seem to die off OR immunity finds a way to kill them off. And yet, the science, via the media, is not giving us any feedback or implications that either of those possibilities are going to happen....its masks or pray for vaccine, why is that?
I wonder if you are looking in the right place. The regular media wants readers. The scientific community evaluates and shares the information you are describing. I remember that Bart and some others shared information that was interesting, if miles over my head, from medical journals and results of trials and evaluations. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19057-5

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news/202 ... out-cancer
That is my point exactly. If the media, en masse, actually shared and articulated what science is telling them, it would likely resonate to more people...you know, provide news and not sensationalism.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bart wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:42 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:38 pm Again, the strain is important. WHAT are the strain numbers?

Like the 2018 article and like the past SARS/MERS...they seem to die off OR immunity finds a way to kill them off. And yet, the science, via the media, is not giving us any feedback or implications that either of those possibilities are going to happen....its masks or pray for vaccine, why is that?
As for SARS. I do not think it "burned out". I think it was brought under control by simple isolation methods. I believe it was spread only when patients showed symptoms and as such, isolating patients whom were symptomatic would isolate the vectors for spread. This certainly is not the case with the current covid version.
Thank you. There appears to be a hidden message in your reply Bart. You say the prior SARS was brought under control by Isolation methods. Then say this certainly is not the case with the current version.

What isolation methods are different between the two? Or are you saying CV-19 is simply much more potent in its ability to jump around between people?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Bart

Post by Bart »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:55 am

As for SARS. I do not think it "burned out". I think it was brought under control by simple isolation methods. I believe it was spread only when patients showed symptoms and as such, isolating patients whom were symptomatic would isolate the vectors for spread. This certainly is not the case with the current covid version.
Thank you. There appears to be a hidden message in your reply Bart. You say the prior SARS was brought under control by Isolation methods. Then say this certainly is not the case with the current version.

What isolation methods are different between the two? Or are you saying CV-19 is simply much more potent in its ability to jump around between people?
No hidden message. Just an inability to coherently write a message.
The latter. CV-19 spreads readily when individuals are asymptomatic. I do not believe this was the case with SARS (from my very limited reading). It would be easier to choke off the spread if all you needed to do was isolate those showing symptoms.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Bart wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:10 am

The latter. CV-19 spreads readily when individuals are asymptomatic. I do not believe this was the case with SARS (from my very limited reading). It would be easier to choke off the spread if all you needed to do was isolate those showing symptoms.
youth,
here's an article from a while back i saw.
https://www.the-scientist.com/features/ ... read-67690
speaks in simple terms to many aspects of developing an RO and an Re.
you could throw in how media for this epidemic has set discourse, moving the needle down for Re and, arguably, up.

as far as asymptomatic spread... it wasn't until approximately feb 25 that cdc top dogs became aware or at least it sunk in about real asymptomatic spread. and it happened thru some kind of email chat. the response via email by (i think redfield) was one of a jaw drop. up until that point, it can be guessed they would've thought symptomatic transmission would've been able to be corraled given what they knew to that point.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:33 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:43 pm Dr. Fauci: “America has an independent spirit but now is the time to do what you’re told.”
Screw that.

I like to drive 100 miles an hour. While drunk. And while not wearing pants. It is a lot of fun.

How dare the g-d govt nannies try to control me.

My choice! My rights!
The government can't tell me if a pedophile lives on my block..... let the kids figure it out on their own...... we don't need the government involved.
Maybe you’ll get The Jesus as a neighbor!
I don’t want the government telling my butcher that he can’t sell old meat.....I see airbags have been recalled....I have no idea why....if it doesn’t work properly, buy a different car next time. I don’t need the government to think for me.....my neighbor’s are going to be upset when I start a strip club out of my garage.
I'm guessing you meant that to be a "strip steak" club? Where you only sell the freshest meat?
That would be The Strip House in the West Village.....give it a try:

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:48 am
seacoaster wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 am

What is interesting about that article is that in 2018 a SARS virus was killing pigs, it was just not jumping to humans at that point.

My pain point about the science is that we do not hear much about the science any longer. We do not hear about viral load of infections, we do not hear about what is truly going on with hospital patients like we did in Spring 2020. are our therapeutics working better....all we hear is run and hide, as if we've learned nothing but wear a damned mask and SD.

I wonder if you are looking in the right place. The regular media wants readers. The scientific community evaluates and shares the information you are describing. I remember that Bart and some others shared information that was interesting, if miles over my head, from medical journals and results of trials and evaluations. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19057-5

https://news.weill.cornell.edu/news/202 ... out-cancer
That is my point exactly. If the media, en masse, actually shared and articulated what science is telling them, it would likely resonate to more people...you know, provide news and not sensationalism.
Media can’t tell you what to think or how to behave...the media doesn’t influence you.....remember?
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Zack Bornstein@ZackBornstein
16 hours ago
I still don’t understand how COVID is worse than ever after we’ve tried everything from pretending it’s over to pretending it never happened
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:27 am Zack Bornstein@ZackBornstein
16 hours ago
I still don’t understand how COVID is worse than ever after we’ve tried everything from pretending it’s over to pretending it never happened
KInd of sums it all up, doesn't it!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:14 am

youth,
you could throw in how media for this epidemic has set discourse, moving the needle down for Re and, arguably, up.

as far as asymptomatic spread... it wasn't until approximately feb 25 that cdc top dogs became aware or at least it sunk in about real asymptomatic spread. and it happened thru some kind of email chat. the response via email by (i think redfield) was one of a jaw drop. up until that point, it can be guessed they would've thought symptomatic transmission would've been able to be corraled given what they knew to that point.
Where do you think the top dogs at the CDC got it wrong and how? What was missed that should have been obvious in January or early February?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 am

youth,

Where do you think the top dogs at the CDC got it wrong and how? What was missed that should have been obvious in January or early February?
i don't know that they missed anything with respect to obtaining info. don't know what their communications with china, the who, or any other affected countries were. maybe they heard rumblings, and didn't follow up. maybe not. no idea.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest Survival Dropped 17% During Pandemic

A study published in the medical journal JAMA Cardiology found that outcomes for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest were worse during the pandemic than before (CIDRAP). The study examined restoration of heart function as well as survival until hospital release between March 16 and April 30 in both 2019 and 2020. Overall, survival until hospital release fell by 17% in 2020. Rates of restoration of heart function also dropped, from 29.8% to 23.0%. The differences were even greater in counties with high rates of Covid-19 deaths.

The authors of the study said that the proportion of witnessed cardiac arrests, CPR and defibrillator use and median time to call for emergency services was similar in both years. They proposed that the worsened outcomes could be due to decreases in hospitalization for heart conditions and delays in seeking medical attention out of fear of Covid-19 infection. They also suggested that guidelines meant to protect frontline workers, such as limiting the number of personnel present, pausing chest compression during intubation and limiting ventilation if filtration is unavailable, might help explain the reduction in successful heart function restoration.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaca ... le/2773109

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspec ... d-covid-19
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Time to change the name of this topic to "All Things Italian CoronaVirus"?

Novel Coronavirus Was Present in Italy Since September 2019, New Study Finds

According to a study conducted by the National Cancer Institute in Milan, Covid-19 spread in Italy much earlier than previously thought (Reuters). The first Covid-19 patient in Italy was diagnosed February 21st in Lombardy, near Milan. It was previously assumed that the virus began spreading in the region in the early months of 2020. However, a new analysis of blood samples collected from patients enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 showed that some patients had developed Coronavirus antibodies much earlier. In the study, 11.6% of the 959 samples contained antibodies to the virus. Four samples from the first week of October 2019 contained neutralizing antibodies against Coronavirus, indicating that the patients had been infected sometime in September 2019.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 1620974755

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... NKBN27V0KH
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 am
6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:43 pm Dr. Fauci: “America has an independent spirit but now is the time to do what you’re told.”
Screw that.

I like to drive 100 miles an hour. While drunk. And while not wearing pants. It is a lot of fun.

My choice! My rights!
The government can't tell me if a pedophile lives on my block..... let the kids figure it out on their own...... we don't need the government involved.
I don’t want the government telling my butcher that he can’t sell old meat.....I see airbags have been recalled....I have no idea why....if it doesn’t work properly, buy a different car next time. I don’t need the government to think for me.....my neighbor’s are going to be upset when I start a strip club out of my garage.
I'm guessing you meant that to be a "strip steak" club? Where you only sell the freshest meat?

Sadly my wife will not eat in at any restaurant. I am the grill master when it comes to steaks. Someday, maybe life will get back to normal.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:14 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:39 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm Ask yourselves who has benefitted from this coronavirus other than Democrats.
Yeah, but the election is over. You're conspiracy theory just went bye-bye.

If this was your tin foil plot? Every State would open wide up now that Trump is voted out.

You see that happening?

You're telling us that a global pandemic that has shut down every 1st world nation.......with 200K+ and counting dead Americans is a plot to help the Dems. Come on. You can't possibly be this out there....can you?
Yes, he can and is "this out there." We like to superimpose a veneer of rationality over other posters. But 6 really does think that the "Democrat Party" is somehow overjoyed that the President has allowed a pandemic to careen out of control across the United States, threatening our parents and children and friends, killing some of them, and murdering the economy. All so it can exercise some sort of ill-defined control over people's lives. It's basically morphing into a recognizable mental illness.

Trump bungled the virus response; no one seriously challenges that proposition anymore. That's not on Democrats. He showed he wasn't fit for the job and the decisions and sacrifices that it involves and demands. That's not on Democrats. He ran on his record, after his own conduct evaporated whatever his record might have been. That's on him. There is no plot to control. There is, instead, a modest hope that we may return to some semblance of normality, and see the Presidency re-assume some direction and competency. Only the cult thinks there is a plot against the First Amendment and the rights of Americans.
Nah Liberals don't prefer the pandemic to the cure. Heres a bunch of libs on the record.

Its not a pandemic its an OPPORTUNITY

At a virtual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting, global leaders from the United Nations, United Kingdom, United States, International Monetary Fund and multi-national corporations discussed and announced a plan to develop a “GREST RESET” of the entire world economy.

“We have a golden opportunity to seize something good from this [COVID-19] crisis. Its unprecedented shockwaves may well make people more receptive to big visions of change,” said Prince Charles, one of the leaders of the event.

The purpose of the “Great Reset” is to use the coronavirus pandemic as a justification—attendees repeatedly referred to it as an “opportunity”—to completely overhaul the entire global economy, including the U.S. economy, to make a more “equitable” world and to fight climate change, which was on numerous occasions identified as the world’s next great “crisis.”

In an article published on the World Economic Forum’s website, WEF founder and Executive Chairman Klaus Schwab said “the world must act jointly and swiftly to revamp all aspects of our societies and economies, from education to social contracts and working conditions.”

“Every country, from the United States to China, must participate, and every industry, from oil and gas to tech, must be transformed,” Schwab added. “In short, we need a ‘Great Reset’ of capitalism.”

Schwab wasn’t the only one calling for the world “reset” capitalism, either. Countless leaders at the event, many of whom hold incredibly influential positions in international governing bodies or in foreign governments, demanded far-reaching economic changes that sound remarkably similar to Bernie Sanders’ and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s “Green New Deal”—except on a global scale.

Sharan Burrow, the general secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), said we need to use the present crisis to help “rebalance” the global economy.

“We need to design policies to align with investment in people and the environment,” Burrow said. “But above all, the longer-term perspective is about rebalancing economies.”

Burrow later added, “We want an end to the profit-at-all-costs mentality, because if we don’t build an economic future within a sustainable framework in which we are respectful of our planetary boundaries, and the need to change our energy and technology systems, then we will not have a living planet for human beings.”

Echoing these points, Antonio Guterres, the U.N. secretary-general, called for building “equal, inclusive, sustainable societies, that are more resilient in the face of pandemics and climate change.”

Jennifer Morgan, the executive director of Greenpeace International, said the world should use the current crisis to push “the reset button,” similar to what occurred after World War II, when Morgan says, “We set up a new world order.”

“We set up a new world order after World War II,” Morgan said. “We’re now in a different world than we were then. We need to ask, what can we be doing differently? The World Economic Forum has a big responsibility in that as well—to be pushing the reset button and looking at how to create well-being for people and for the Earth.”

Other speakers at the virtual forum calling for a “Great Reset” included Ma Jun, the chairman of the Green Finance Committee at the China Society for Finance and Banking and a member of the Monetary Policy Committee of the People’s Bank of China; Bernard Looney, CEO of BP; Ajay Banga, CEO of Mastercard; Bradford Smith, president of Microsoft; and Gina Gopinath, the chief economist at the International Monetary Fund.

The WEF virtual event announced the launch of the “Great Reset” of the world economy, but more specific policy proposals will likely be deliberated at WEF’s meeting in Davos in January 2021, the theme of which will also be “The Great Reset.” The Davos event is being billed by WEF as a “twin summit” that will include an in-person meeting of world leaders and a virtual meetings “connecting key global governmental and business leaders in Davos with a global network in 400 cities.”
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:34 am

youth,

i don't know that they missed anything with respect to obtaining info. don't know what their communications with china, the who, or any other affected countries were. maybe they heard rumblings, and didn't follow up. maybe not. no idea.
Thanks. Just wondering. It wasn’t clear from some of the qualifiers in your paragraph. English is a funny language because of how and when words are used can change the entire context of a sentence. Also the same word can have multiple meanings. Spanish, for instance, is much more straightforward.

Hopefully we should get through this second wave with much fewer deaths per hospitalization....despite the fact that some people claim the gross number may still be high as the virus is said to be more widespread.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:23 am
Screw that.

My choice! My rights!

Sadly my wife will not eat in at any restaurant. I am the grill master when it comes to steaks. Someday, maybe life will get back to normal.
I won’t eat in any restaurant either. Maybe next fall. There is always outside.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Every little bit helps...

Mouthwash can kill coronavirus within 30 seconds of being exposed to it in a lab, a scientific study indicates.

Scientists at Cardiff University found there were "promising signs" that over-the-counter mouthwashes may help to destroy the virus.

The report comes ahead of a clinical trial on Covid-19 on patients at the University Hospital of Wales.

Dr Nick Claydon said the study could lead to mouthwash becoming an important part of people's routines.

While the research suggests use of mouthwash may help kill the virus in saliva, there is not evidence it could be used as a treatment for coronavirus, as it will not reach the the respiratory tract or the lungs.

Dr Claydon, a specialist periodontologist, said: "If these positive results are reflected in Cardiff University's clinical trial, CPC-based mouthwashes... could become an important addition to people's routine, together with hand washing, physical distancing and wearing masks, both now and in the future."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54971650
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The Brits. God bless 'em.
Still trying with oral hygiene.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 am The Brits. God bless 'em.
Still trying with oral hygiene.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm
foreverlax wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:21 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:03 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:59 pm
6ftstick wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:37 pm Whats the over and under for when democrats sh*t on Modernas vaccine like they did with Pfizers.

After all dems don't want to fix the pandemic they prefer the power its given them.
You don't believe this. Just stop.

You'll have plenty to complain about in a few short weeks when Biden arrives. You don't need to invent stuff now that Trump is leaving.
I believe it completely. Especially Cuomo

Who still denys any culpability for thousands dead in Nursing homes.
Show us the quote, in context, that has your panties in such a wad.
Do your own homework

Ask yourselves who has benefitted from this coronavirus other than Democrats.
Nope. You make $turd up to prove your opinions.

Dem's definitely benefited from CV19...DOPUS' bungling was the final nail.

Return to “POLITICS”