Spring Cancellations

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxlaxlax

Re: Spring Cancellations

Post by laxlaxlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:31 pm Ivy cancelled all winter sports. Spring sports won’t start until at least end of February.
I just saw that announcement on Twitter too. And Fall sports that were pushed to Spring originally are cancelled.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:35 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:31 pm Ivy cancelled all winter sports. Spring sports won’t start until at least end of February.
I just saw that announcement on Twitter too. And Fall sports that were pushed to Spring originally are cancelled.
So the question is if their games only start in March, does it allow enough time to play enough games to qualify for NCAA tournament.

Will be interesting to see what other conferences decide. We all saw the Ivy League were some of the original decision makers last March and others followed..
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Ivy League just informed its student athletes that Ivies will not compete in any winter sports, fall sports will not be made up in the spring, and spring sports (i.e. lacrosse) are postponed until at least the end of February 2021
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Delco Transplant wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:07 pm Ivy League just informed its student athletes that Ivies will not compete in any winter sports, fall sports will not be made up in the spring, and spring sports (i.e. lacrosse) are postponed until at least the end of February 2021
So looks like the Princeton wlax team knew what they were doing when most of them opted for a gap year...hate to say it, but looking bleak for a spring season.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Thank God my kids didn't go Ivy! I'd hate to be in a fox hole with any of these academia types. The white flag would go up before a shot was fired.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

The Ivy League has been quick to cancel everything and not everyone has followed suit. Schools that rely on sports revenue and boast a culture of school spirit are much more likely to hold out. Princeton and Harvard cultivate a very different image than, say, UNC/MD/Florida, and even non-revenue sports are important for the latter.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

The dominos are typically - Ivy league, NESCAC and then the Patriot League...we will see how this unfolds. I suspect we are looking at a late lax season, maybe mid March to memorial day and a schedule that may only consist of 10 games or so. Or it could be completely canceled...either wouldn't surprise me.

Btw, club lacrosse from 4th grade to 11th grade has played without a single issue from June until now with 2 more full weekends of tournaments to go, so there's that :?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Seems difficult to conceive of a full 2021 season or even a partial one at this point. Does anyone else realistically see us all "back to normal" in just a matter of months? What's going to make that a reality--a vaccine? I'm skeptical at this point. I'll be very surprised if any lacrosse is played next year. Even the other sports that have been/are being played have an asterisk to the season--let's face it. In spite of the pain of lost revenues, I doubt any NCAA lacrosse will be played next year.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Cletus wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm Seems difficult to conceive of a full 2021 season or even a partial one at this point. Does anyone else realistically see us all "back to normal" in just a matter of months? What's going to make that a reality--a vaccine? I'm skeptical at this point. I'll be very surprised if any lacrosse is played next year. Even the other sports that have been/are being played have an asterisk to the season--let's face it. In spite of the pain of lost revenues, I doubt any NCAA lacrosse will be played next year.
I gotta agree with this. And even IF the season goes ahead it’s going to look dramatically different. I can’t imagine many schools sending kids on flights so that impacts the west coast teams and even the likes of Michigan and NU. I also heard Michigan had cancelled all 2021 out of conference games that were more than a bus ride way earlier this year so I imagine others might be in similar position.

Next few weeks/months will be critical but I don’t have high expectations
Dr. Tact

Good news????

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm Seems difficult to conceive of a full 2021 season or even a partial one at this point. Does anyone else realistically see us all "back to normal" in just a matter of months? What's going to make that a reality--a vaccine? I'm skeptical at this point. I'll be very surprised if any lacrosse is played next year. Even the other sports that have been/are being played have an asterisk to the season--let's face it. In spite of the pain of lost revenues, I doubt any NCAA lacrosse will be played next year.
I gotta agree with this. And even IF the season goes ahead it’s going to look dramatically different. I can’t imagine many schools sending kids on flights so that impacts the west coast teams and even the likes of Michigan and NU. I also heard Michigan had cancelled all 2021 out of conference games that were more than a bus ride way earlier this year so I imagine others might be in similar position.

How has fall soccer and football been able to be played then??
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:37 pm The Ivy League has been quick to cancel everything and not everyone has followed suit. Schools that rely on sports revenue and boast a culture of school spirit are much more likely to hold out. Princeton and Harvard cultivate a very different image than, say, UNC/MD/Florida, and even non-revenue sports are important for the latter.
When my kid was being recruited to an Ivy several years ago, one of the players she talked to point blank told her “ivies don’t care about sports...if you have to miss a class due to out of town game the professors aren’t very supportive. They don’t care about sports - doesn’t matter what sport” . I’m feeling more and more this holds true.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:54 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:37 pm The Ivy League has been quick to cancel everything and not everyone has followed suit. Schools that rely on sports revenue and boast a culture of school spirit are much more likely to hold out. Princeton and Harvard cultivate a very different image than, say, UNC/MD/Florida, and even non-revenue sports are important for the latter.
When my kid was being recruited to an Ivy several years ago, one of the players she talked to point blank told her “ivies don’t care about sports...if you have to miss a class due to out of town game the professors aren’t very supportive. They don’t care about sports - doesn’t matter what sport” . I’m feeling more and more this holds true.
The calculus of deciding the right "fit" when it comes to the college selection process should be unique to each student/athlete and their family. Many, many factors apply. Some kids will be turned off by the statement above, some will be undeterred. To each their own.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

laxlaxlax wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:23 pm

I wonder if a change in POTUS administration will have any effect. IMO we could see a major shift in public perception of the danger of Covid and how best to handle it. The two vaccines that were recently announced will give people an excuse to change their tune if they want to.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”