Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:13 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:17 am
6ftstick wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:13 am Whoopsie

You enablers been mistaken? Defund the Police.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
You're on a roll this morning..."enablers"...which poster on here is for reducing funding for effective policing?

Heck, are Biden and Harris in favor of less money for effective policing?

Go away.
All of you were.

Kamala Harris “We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America,” she said.
yes, 'case in point'.

It's very hard for me to believe that you don't actually comprehend the issue and what she means.... versus some of the true nut jobs who actually DO want some utopian world in which policing is non-existent. Ain't happening, and Harris sure as heck isn't a nut job.

But you persist in acting dumb. I just doubt that you really are, and that's actually worse.

Here's what I thought and continue to think about the slogan "Defund the Police"...way, way too easily weaponized by the hard right against actual progress on social and racial justice, reducing bias in the police and reducing police abuse and violence.

But it got folks' attention, which was what most of it's point was all about. Raising awareness of the issue at hand...but the folks who actually want to solve the problems don't want to defund policing, they want it much smarter and less biased, less likely to result in disastrous outcomes. Biden has repeatedly been rather strident about his opposition to "defund', he wants more spending to make it more effective, less biased, and safer for all of the community.

Reform not Defund.

But some knuckleheads don't want 'reform'.

"Reform not Defund."

How does that happen in the real world? You want to reform and retrain the cops, fine and dandy. The criminals are not subject to any reform. They don't care what the cops do. They will always want to commit crimes and do bad things to people. Their objective is to stay out of jail and they will do anything to accomplish that. What a world for the bad guys, the odds are all stacked in their favor. Here in NYS you have a hard time keeping criminals that have been arrested in jail. No bail for you Mr criminal... :roll:
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:43 pm All you TDS folks were rationalizing the violence in the streets.

BLM really never meant it when they chanted, What do you want? Dead cops! When do you want it. NOW!

You applauded NYC defunding the police by a billion dollars. You rationalized DiBlasios insanity.

Kamala Harris approved of LA's cutting 150 million form the police budget.

You all joked about the decline of law and order in cities like Minneapolis and Seattle.

You all told us They don't mean "Defund the Police". They mean reimagine the police.

Well Minneapolis reimagined it into a spot where the Chief of Police needs to bring it outsiders to protect the city,

All enabled by you folks on the left
The part that doesn't seem to sink in for your team, is that when you play this game of pretending that when a handful of folks protesting, that they represent the views of millions of those on the left....

...that you've got some pretty gross people on the American Right.

So when Neo-Nazis who obviously support Trump scream their bile----are you telling me that they speak for you, and the American Right as a whole?

No, right? So maybe stop buying the BS that liberals are a monolith, and stop playing this game of "the libs want to burn everything down".

They don't want to do that any more than you want a whites-only America.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You're on a roll this morning..."enablers"...which poster on here is for reducing funding for effective policing?

Go away.
All of you were.

Kamala Harris “We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America,” she said.
yes, 'case in point'.

It's very hard for me to believe that you don't actually comprehend the issue and what she means.... versus some of the true nut jobs who actually DO want some utopian world in which policing is non-existent. Ain't happening, and Harris sure as heck isn't a nut job.

But you persist in acting dumb. I just doubt that you really are, and that's actually worse.

Here's what I thought and continue to think about the slogan "Defund the Police"...way, way too easily weaponized by the hard right against actual progress on social and racial justice, reducing bias in the police and reducing police abuse and violence.

But it got folks' attention, which was what most of it's point was all about. Raising awareness of the issue at hand...but the folks who actually want to solve the problems don't want to defund policing, they want it much smarter and less biased, less likely to result in disastrous outcomes. Biden has repeatedly been rather strident about his opposition to "defund', he wants more spending to make it more effective, less biased, and safer for all of the community.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

How does that happen in the real world? You want to reform and retrain the cops, fine and dandy. The criminals are not subject to any reform. They don't care what the cops do. They will always want to commit crimes and do bad things to people. Their objective is to stay out of jail and they will do anything to accomplish that. What a world for the bad guys, the odds are all stacked in their favor. Here in NYS you have a hard time keeping criminals that have been arrested in jail. No bail for you Mr criminal... :roll:
Case in point....
JUNE (PUSH TO "REFORM" police.....

SEPT (WHERE ARE ALL THE POLICE IN CRIME AREAS by City Council)
Last edited by youthathletics on Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 pm "Reform not Defund."

How does that happen in the real world?
Simple. You invest in people and communities BEFORE they become criminals. BEFORE it's too late.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Simple. You invest in people and communities BEFORE they become criminals. BEFORE it's too late.
Yep. For instance, Head Start was a great program.

https://www.brookings.edu/research/the- ... ogram/amp/
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Or check out LeBron James school in Akron, which the King funded and then turned over to the Akron Public School system to run. So proud of my homie LeBron.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

Oh please. You're the king of I didn't say what I said.

All you TDS folks were rationalizing the violence in the streets.

BLM really never meant it when they chanted, What do you want? Dead cops! When do you want it. NOW!

You applauded NYC defunding the police by a billion dollars. You rationalized DiBlasios insanity.

Kamala Harris approved of LA's cutting 150 million form the police budget.

You all joked about the decline of law and order in cities like Minneapolis and Seattle.

You all told us They don't mean "Defund the Police". They mean reimagine the police.

Well Minneapolis reimagined it into a spot where the Chief of Police needs to bring it outsiders to protect the city,

All enabled by you folks on the left
as usual, you got the wrong guy.

But hey, why not lie?
All part of the troller's handbook, right?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

not sure what those videos are supposed to suggest. That there's crime and we need effective policing? That the second video shows a couple of people talking after characterizing the intentions quite differently than what is actually shown in those quoted, then quoting the police union's statement which is the only thing consistent with that characterization?

I'm just not following...seems to me that what most people affected want is to reform how policing is done, not that public safety isn't a serious issue.

The police union is afraid that bad police will get fired...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

not sure what those videos are supposed to suggest. That there's crime and we need effective policing? That the second video shows a couple of people talking after characterizing the intentions quite differently than what is actually shown in those quoted, then quoting the police union's statement which is the only thing consistent with that characterization?

I'm just not following...seems to me that what most people affected want is to reform how policing is done, not that public safety isn't a serious issue.

Don't be coy, you know exactly what is going.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

That's your answer?
I watched both videos, that's my takeaway from them.

Now, are you going to find some nut jobs who actually think it's possible in some utopian dream to not need policing? sure. Just not the folks who just won the White House. Or me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Nothing will change until you defund the police unions. They are the problem. They have less than zero interest in reform. This is not new.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

That's your answer?

Now, are you going to find some nut jobs who actually think it's possible in some utopian dream to not need policing? sure. Just not the folks who just won the White House. Or me.
You have glossed over the entire point of this focused conversation. The first video from local in JUNE is when the police were pulled back/reformed by city council......the second in September is when the council is complaining about crime rising.

Clearly - you are doubling down on your coyness, because the news reporters in each video explained all this. Why do you think the police have resorted to more foot beat traffic as the Captain says ...exactly, it cuts costs and gets the cops closer...then what happens, the criminals move elsewhere. So how do you fix that?....Exactly, more cops, and what does that require....more cash. And what happens when you need more cops.....more risk of bad things happening between criminals.

You are acting like this is an easy fix....it is not, The bottom line is safety and you can not have that without police, especially when you can't own a firearm in some places.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm Nothing will change until you defund the police unions. They are the problem. They have less than zero interest in reform. This is not new.
True, to an extent. When you have bad citizens and criminals antagonizing police, running from them, shooting at them, hitting them in heads with pipes, refusing simple orders like can I see you DL please with complete disrespect.....union or no union is not going to fix that.

You either let the criminals run the asylum, or accept the fools that want to pick a fight and not listen to instruction are just collateral damage.....kinda like your baby back ribs. ;)
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol: ... and increase the number of guns in an area and the police trigger fingers begin to itch more. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Dude, they have been trying that here in Rochester for a very long time. It goes all the way back to the midnight basketball leagues that were meant to keep kids off the street at night. It starts with the PARENTS. You can invest everything you want to. If the parents are not controlling and supervising their own kids you are peeing in the wind. What parent in your neck of the woods does not know where their 12 year old is at 11pm? If the parents don't care who the hell else will? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Dude, they have been trying that here in Rochester for a very long time. It goes all the way back to the midnight basketball leagues that were meant to keep kids off the street at night. It starts with the PARENTS. You can invest everything you want to. If the parents are not controlling and supervising their own kids you are peeing in the wind. What parent in your neck of the woods does not know where their 12 year old is at 11pm? If the parents don't care who the hell else will? :roll:
Do you seriously think enough was done?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

That's your answer?

You have glossed over the entire point of this focused conversation. The first video from local in JUNE is when the police were pulled back/reformed by city council......the second in September is when the council is complaining about crime rising.

Clearly - you are doubling down on your coyness, because the news reporters in each video explained all this. Why do you think the police have resorted to more foot beat traffic as the Captain says ...exactly, it cuts costs and gets the cops closer...then what happens, the criminals move elsewhere. So how do you fix that?....Exactly, more cops, and what does that require....more cash. And what happens when you need more cops.....more risk of bad things happening between criminals.

You are acting like this is an easy fix....it is not, The bottom line is safety and you can not have that without police, especially when you can't own a firearm in some places.
nope, it's enormously challenging and quite complex...I've written long, detailed descriptions of the policies I think would be necessary to really improve the situation over the long haul. (I take incoming on how longwinded I can be!)

It's not easy and not cheap, at least in the short term. That said, I do think we could dramatically decrease the cost burden on society of the criminalization of drugs, primarily incarceration costs and redeploy those tax dollars to far more productive activities, ultimately reducing policing demand...but you don't reduce police until you reduce crime. Indeed, it may require more resources for policing, albeit with a different emphasis in training, personnel recruitment, deployment, and pay rates in order to make this all work...but less on militarization.

I just don't like these simple minded toss offs that so many on the hard right do when addressing the calls for police reform and addressing systemic injustice. Blame the liberals is not helpful.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Not in my neck of the woods but in Illinois....you know the one that drives a 17 year kid out of state and lets him stay out and eventually kills 2 people and shoots another. That is the kind of parent.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Go away.
All of you were.

yes, 'case in point'.

Reform not Defund.

"Reform not Defund."

Case in point....

That's your answer?

nope, it's enormously challenging and quite complex...I've written long, detailed descriptions of the policies I think would be necessary to really improve the situation over the long haul. (I take incoming on how longwinded I can be!)

It's not easy and not cheap, at least in the short term. That said, I do think we could dramatically decrease the cost burden on society of the criminalization of drugs, primarily incarceration costs and redeploy those tax dollars to far more productive activities, ultimately reducing policing demand...but you don't reduce police until you reduce crime. Indeed, it may require more resources for policing, albeit with a different emphasis in training, personnel recruitment, deployment, and pay rates in order to make this all work...but less on militarization.

I just don't like these simple minded toss offs that so many on the hard right do when addressing the calls for police reform and addressing systemic injustice. Blame the liberals is not helpful.
I love your idea, but this is the here and now. And to cut off oxygen to local policing like Minneapolis just did.....that's just plain stupid, then whine about "where are the police", proof they don't think past the immediate. Which was the entire point of the discussion.

You are a dreamer, like me, but once you get to a roadblock or something you didn't see, you can't just stop and assume...awww, it'll work out, that's how we partially got here in the first place. Where are the drug dealers going to make up their profit loss? Where are the drug addicts going to get the cash for high? That takes decades and generational change. Hell...one could argue this last administration actually did help this by higher employment for ALL....and what did we get for it....chaos, maybe people had too much cash on hand. ;)

The biggest problem, is fools that simply refuse to listen to what the other 99+ percent of us do when we get pulled over, follow instructions and use manners....let's start there. There are two reasons people do not do what they are asked....(i) they were not taught, or (ii) they choose not to. I suspect the former is common sense, the later is when the problems start.
~Livy

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:11 pm Nothing will change until you defund the police unions. They are the problem. They have less than zero interest in reform. This is not new.
Seems like you and the others here that wish to eradicate public sector unions and especially police unions, will be disappointed by the man you just voted for.

https://joebiden.com/empowerworkers/#

A co-sponsor of the original Employee Free Choice Act, Biden supports workers choosing to form a union if a majority signs authorization cards empowering a union to represent them. He will go beyond the PRO Act by allowing workers to use this process, called “card check,” as an initial option for forming a union, not merely an option granted when the employer has illegally interfered in the election process.

Provide a federal guarantee for public sector employees to bargain for better pay and benefits and the working conditions they deserve. Public sector unions provide the voice that workers – including educators, social workers, firefighters, and police officers – need to ensure they can serve their communities. And, public sector unions have been and continue to be an essential pathway to the middle class for workers of color and women, who disproportionately work in the public sector. Yet, in many states across the country, public sector workers do not have the right to bargain collectively. In states such as Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan, and Indiana, these rights are increasingly under attack. As president, Biden will establish a federal right to union organizing and collective bargaining for all public sector employees, and make it easier for those employees who serve our communities to both join a union and bargain. He will do so by fighting for and signing into law the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act and Public Service Freedom to Negotiate Act. He will work to ensure public sector workers, including public school educators, have a greater voice in the decisions that impact their students and their working conditions. He will also strongly encourage states to pursue expanded bargaining rights for state licensed and contracted workers, including child care workers and home health care workers. And, he will look for federal solutions that will protect these workers’ rights to organize and bargain collectively. Finally, he will reinstate the Obama-Biden rule, which the Trump Administration has since reversed, making it easier for independent-provider home care workers to join a union.

Return to “POLITICS”