Spring Cancellations

D1 Womens Lacrosse
SPIDERLAXFAN

Spring Cancellations

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

Hearing some very unsettling news that a few women’s lacrosse programs in the Mid-Atlantic have cancelled their Spring season. I haven’t seen anything posted about it, but was curious if others are hearing the same. I won’t mention the names out of respect to the programs and also don’t want to stir the pot if it’s not true.
Dr. Tact

Re: Spring Cancellations

Post by Dr. Tact »

SPIDERLAXFAN wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:00 pm Hearing some very unsettling news that a few women’s lacrosse programs in the Mid-Atlantic have cancelled their Spring season. I haven’t seen anything posted about it, but was curious if others are hearing the same. I won’t mention the names out of respect to the programs and also don’t want to stir the pot if it’s not true.
I have not heard this...that would be devastating to the players.
SPIDERLAXFAN

Post by SPIDERLAXFAN »

I agree, that’s why I am treading lightly with it. I am hoping and praying that all college athletes, including my own, will have the opportunity to play this year.
Turtles Lax

Fingers crossed with...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...hope doomers will not continue to rule the sports universe. :roll:

Of course, with that in mind the doomers who somehow are allowed control of the Boston Marathon have cancelled the April, 2021, running of that great event.

Peace, out.

TL
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Field hockey is happening, right?
Turtles Lax

Post by Turtles Lax »

B1G not playing field hockey. :(

Peace, out.

TL
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm Field hockey is happening, right?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Turtles Lax wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:05 pm B1G not playing field hockey. :(

Peace, out.

TL
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:46 pm Field hockey is happening, right?
But the acc is, and soccer as well... Seems that it is possible to have collegiate sports.... BIG is playing football, correct?
Turtles Lax

Football...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...is being played. Mostly without problems save U Wisconsin allegedly having positive testing that has cancelled 2 games.

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

Football...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...is being played. Mostly without problems save U Wisconsin allegedly having positive testing that has cancelled 2 games.

Peace, out.

TL
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Numbers certainly trending in the wrong direction. Not as worried about number of cases, but hospitalizations is the number to watch...particularly in college towns with small hospitals.
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

ProudPapa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 am Numbers certainly trending in the wrong direction. Not as worried about number of cases, but hospitalizations is the number to watch...particularly in college towns with small hospitals.
Not just hospitalizations, but who is being hospitalized.
ProudPapa

Post by ProudPapa »

Carroll81 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:50 am
ProudPapa wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:01 am Numbers certainly trending in the wrong direction. Not as worried about number of cases, but hospitalizations is the number to watch...particularly in college towns with small hospitals.
Not just hospitalizations, but who is being hospitalized.
Correct, but the new hospitalizations look similar to the hospitalizations in the spring...hint, they are not young, healthy people. Sadly, I don’t think the conference heads and the NCAA will factor in the make up of the patients.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

My son and daughter's major D1 programs are practicing four days a week and lifting/running four days a week. No issues at all. The lacrosse they are playing is no different than it was before March 13. Physical and fast, right on top of one another, very competitive It would be more than a travesty if schools shut down this coming spring. Death by despair is real. These kids, their coaches, the training staff are not in any danger. Football is playing so why not lacrosse?

Leadership is not just shutting down but navigating this virus in a safe way and we have shown it can be done. We can still live our lives. We have lost our way.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

livelovelax wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 am My son and daughter's major D1 programs are practicing four days a week and lifting/running four days a week. No issues at all. The lacrosse they are playing is no different than it was before March 13. Physical and fast, right on top of one another, very competitive It would be more than a travesty if schools shut down this coming spring. Death by despair is real. These kids, their coaches, the training staff are not in any danger. Football is playing so why not lacrosse?

Leadership is not just shutting down but navigating this virus in a safe way and we have shown it can be done. We can still live our lives. We have lost our way.
Not just football - soccer and field hockey are playing as well!
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

I am uncertain about a spring season happening. If Biden is in office, the country may be completely shut down again. Not trying to politize this just keepin it real. My daughters D1 team has not been able to practice as an entire team at all this fall. TBH- it was an absolutely terrible fall -far worse than I could have ever imagined. The city and state policies were so restrictive that if things don’t change for the better, I don’t see how there will be a spring season.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

laxinforlife wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:10 am I am uncertain about a spring season happening. If Biden is in office, the country may be completely shut down again. Not trying to politize this just keepin it real. My daughters D1 team has not been able to practice as an entire team at all this fall. TBH- it was an absolutely terrible fall -far worse than I could have ever imagined. The city and state policies were so restrictive that if things don’t change for the better, I don’t see how there will be a spring season.
But the NCAA WILL have a basketball season - they cannot afford to lose March Madness two years in a row. There are reasonable ways of making the season happen for that sport, and the level of contact (and time of contact) is higher than for an outdoor sport like lax.

There are mechanisms for testing and forming of "bubbles" around teams if necessary to make the seasons happening. It just is a question of whether the D1 schools are willing to push them for the "non-revenue" sports.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

laxinforlife wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:10 am I am uncertain about a spring season happening. If Biden is in office, the country may be completely shut down again. Not trying to politize this just keepin it real. My daughters D1 team has not been able to practice as an entire team at all this fall. TBH- it was an absolutely terrible fall -far worse than I could have ever imagined. The city and state policies were so restrictive that if things don’t change for the better, I don’t see how there will be a spring season.
"If Biden is in office..."? You aren't trying to politicize it...you just did.

I read last night that one of the members of Biden's COVID advisory team floated the idea of a 4-6 week shutdown upon inauguration that would allow for the hospitals to get things under control and hopefully carry us until the vaccine is more readily distributed (essentially using those 4-6 weeks for the military and local national guards to get the vaccine distributed and vaccine sites set up). If the Biden administration follows through with that plan, then yes the spring lacrosse season is certainly in jeopardy. That is a big if though. The idea was floated by just one advisory team member and most medical experts have been hesitant to consider a national lockdown at this point. Unfortunately, I think the most likely scenario is that the kids go back to school in January and start practicing and we all wait to see what happens in the days following the inauguration.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

OMG! How about some leadership? So let's look at the data……remember that phrase? "Follow the data" People under the age of 25 dont succumb to this disease. They have a better chance of dying from many other things not named Covid. Why lock down the athletes who are in great shape, that are currently playing most sports with no negative impact. People will lose their collective minds if spring sports are not played. We already have. Stop the insanity!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I agree with you LiveLoveLax. But, unfortunately, the spring lacrosse season is not even in the top 100 list of priorities for this or the future administration. If there is a national lockdown, you can kiss the season goodbye. Regardless of how practical (and spot on) your take is, it just won't matter in the face of a national lockdown.

Just keep praying for that vaccine to get here quickly, and that therapeutics continue to develop, so we can stop the madness!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Ivy cancelled all winter sports. Spring sports won’t start until at least end of February.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”