Big Ten 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Big Ten 2021

Post by stupefied »

Big Ten is a strong conference, this be my guess.
Maryland
OSU
PSU
JHU
Rutgers
Michigan
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’d flip PSU and OSU. Seems like Tambroni has hit his stride in building the program and expect him to reload even in years he doesn’t have an Ament/Siebald coming back. But he’s a Bart alum who took Cornell to places it’s only otherwise been pre 1990 so I’m biased.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:04 pm I’d flip PSU and OSU. Seems like Tambroni has hit his stride in building the program and expect him to reload even in years he doesn’t have an Ament/Siebald coming back. But he’s a Bart alum who took Cornell to places it’s only otherwise been pre 1990 so I’m biased.
PSU will be strong up the middle with goalie and FOGO. Their offense will still be really good, even without Ament. OSU, even with guys like Leclaire returning, has a hard time drawing slides. They miss a guy like Jacinski. All of their guys are big, burly, and not exactly fleet offensive players. Great pairs offense to complement all of their box-skilled players. The battle for that 4th spot will be as competitive as it's ever been.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:00 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:04 pm I’d flip PSU and OSU. Seems like Tambroni has hit his stride in building the program and expect him to reload even in years he doesn’t have an Ament/Siebald coming back. But he’s a Bart alum who took Cornell to places it’s only otherwise been pre 1990 so I’m biased.
PSU will be strong up the middle with goalie and FOGO. Their offense will still be really good, even without Ament. OSU, even with guys like Leclaire returning, has a hard time drawing slides. They miss a guy like Jacinski. All of their guys are big, burly, and not exactly fleet offensive players. Great pairs offense to complement all of their box-skilled players. The battle for that 4th spot will be as competitive as it's ever been.
For me, it's this at the moment.
1. MD
2. PSU
3. OSU
4.Rutgers
5T.Mich and JHU

I expect JHU to finish above Mich, but I have to see what they look like under this new staff first. The last I saw them they stunk. Gotta see improvement first. I believe they can finish in fourth, but until I see them they are tied at 5th with Mich. And yes, that fourth spot will be hella competitive. Mich has some good young players, Rutgers O is strong but that D and FO situation is suspect. And JHU has talent, but gotta put it together.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Addition of the Kirst boys and faceoff help will give the Scarlet Knights much needed help where they need it most. Their D will be better than thought and the offense can be the difference in most games. I pick them to make the Big Ten final and an NCAA bid.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Rutgers is always everyone's dark horse every year. Always the year they will surprise people and it never happens. They were 2-4 last year, just like Hopkins. I think Maryland and Penn State are clearly the top two teams headed into 2021, and then it's a big mess behind them.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I don't really see OSU being too far behind UMd and PSU. They were 5-2 at the break. Goalie is a question mark with Kirson leaving, but they picked up transfer d-man Wenz from Hofstra. Their entire offense returns with attack LeClaire, Myers, and Reid, all of whom were averaging 4+ points per game. Inacio is back at face-offs. Terefenko returns.
Live Free or Die!
bananas

Post by bananas »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:40 pm Addition of the Kirst boys and faceoff help will give the Scarlet Knights much needed help where they need it most. Their D will be better than thought and the offense can be the difference in most games. I pick them to make the Big Ten final and an NCAA bid.
AGREE
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

livelovelax wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:40 pm Addition of the Kirst boys and faceoff help will give the Scarlet Knights much needed help where they need it most. Their D will be better than thought and the offense can be the difference in most games. I pick them to make the Big Ten final and an NCAA bid.
Totally agree they can do it. And I love the addition of the Kirst boys. And Yeah, their D should be better with Kirst in cage and they return Garrett Bullett at close. But we have seen this D have great pieces and fail as a unit before. That's what I mean when I say their D is suspect. Hopefully, that isn't the case this season like it has been in the past.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cooter wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:07 pm I don't really see OSU being too far behind UMd and PSU. They were 5-2 at the break. Goalie is a question mark with Kirson leaving, but they picked up transfer d-man Wenz from Hofstra. Their entire offense returns with attack LeClaire, Myers, and Reid, all of whom were averaging 4+ points per game. Inacio is back at face-offs. Terefenko returns.
I don't know if anyone is suggesting far behind, but OSU is still a program that can go 12-4 and then 7-9 or 8-8, I and probably some others are of the belief that Tambroni has PSU at a place where they can win double digit wins each year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 am And Yeah, their D should be better with Kirst in cage
...why? He only started one game in four years at Lehigh and finished with a career 43% save percentage. The kid Rutgers had last year was at 50%. I don't really expect Kirst (the goalie, not the middie) to even play.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am
Cooter wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:07 pm I don't really see OSU being too far behind UMd and PSU. They were 5-2 at the break. Goalie is a question mark with Kirson leaving, but they picked up transfer d-man Wenz from Hofstra. Their entire offense returns with attack LeClaire, Myers, and Reid, all of whom were averaging 4+ points per game. Inacio is back at face-offs. Terefenko returns.
I don't know if anyone is suggesting far behind, but OSU is still a program that can go 12-4 and then 7-9 or 8-8, I and probably some others are of the belief that Tambroni has PSU at a place where they can win double digit wins each year.
Hopfan16 posted
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm I think Maryland and Penn State are clearly the top two teams headed into 2021, and then it's a big mess behind them.
I don't see it being so clear.
I just see PSU on a peak that they would already be leaving, except that many of their seniors gained an extra year.

It seems to me that 3 years back (2018), PSU was losing their final game of the season to Michigan and missing the cut for the Big Ten tournament.
Live Free or Die!
bananas

Post by bananas »

Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 am
Totally agree they can do it. And I love the addition of the Kirst boys. And Yeah, their D should be better with Kirst in cage and they return Garrett Bullett at close. But we have seen this D have great pieces and fail as a unit before. That's what I mean when I say their D is suspect. Hopefully, that isn't the case this season like it has been in the past.
NJ is known for deep D talent. The top layer has been stripped off by the acc powers which frustrates but Russo and Masessa are improving and solid. H Taub was a nj dopy , hoping he can step up and contribute in his 3rd yr. Bullet is good and transfer Ward will help out at lsm with Rall who can now focus solely on position with the addition of fogo Dugenio who went 25-31 agaisnt RU fogos last year . just winning more faceoffs will help d by limiting possessions besides giving more opportunities to a very potent offense .. Goaltending play will now be key to season success. There were a couple of very good goalies in transfer portal and was hoping for one of them but not the case. . See goalie Kirst as improved depth than upgrade to Russo who was solid enough. Do expect Russo to hold job and have a better season given better fogo play and more experienced defensive group. RU has enough talent to be a very good team.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The proper rankings are:

1) Maryland
2) Penn St
3) Ohio St
4) JHU/Michigan/Rutgers
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Cooter wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:27 am
I just see PSU on a peak that they would already be leaving, except that many of their seniors gained an extra year.

It seems to me that 3 years back (2018), PSU was losing their final game of the season to Michigan and missing the cut for the Big Ten tournament.
Right, in 2018, with Ament out injured, Penn State failed to make the conference tourney (and Ament is now gone from PSU).

Everyone who ranks Hop down near the bottom of the heap seems to forget how quickly Milliman turned around Cornell: in 2017 the Big Red had a losing record and failed to make the Ivy tournament; in Milliman's first year in charge, 2018, they won the ILT and made the NCAA quarterfinals.

As for clarity, it seems to me that there isn't much, given the very abbreviated 2020 season.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL put out a new podcast today talking about the possibility for schedules. At one point they say they have heard rumors of the possibility of B1G vs ACC schedules. That would give you 10 games.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hopfan16 posted
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm I think Maryland and Penn State are clearly the top two teams headed into 2021, and then it's a big mess behind them.

So for the record you view PSU as akin to Colgate with Baum or Albany with a Thompson vs being built for the long haul at this point?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 pm
Hopfan16 posted

So for the record you view PSU as akin to Colgate with Baum or Albany with a Thompson vs being built for the long haul at this point?
Yeah, more or less. Maybe not dropping as far.

If coronavirus had not struck, which lead seniors to getting another year, and PSU would be losing O'Keefe, Arceri, Cardile, and Kneese along with Ament, l would not feel sure that PSU would even be a top 20 team.
Live Free or Die!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

bananas wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:00 pm
Tdemling6 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:18 am
NJ is known for deep D talent. The top layer has been stripped off by the acc powers which frustrates but Russo and Masessa are improving and solid. H Taub was a nj dopy , hoping he can step up and contribute in his 3rd yr. Bullet is good and transfer Ward will help out at lsm with Rall who can now focus solely on position with the addition of fogo Dugenio who went 25-31 agaisnt RU fogos last year . just winning more faceoffs will help d by limiting possessions besides giving more opportunities to a very potent offense .. Goaltending play will now be key to season success. There were a couple of very good goalies in transfer portal and was hoping for one of them but not the case. . See goalie Kirst as improved depth than upgrade to Russo who was solid enough. Do expect Russo to hold job and have a better season given better fogo play and more experienced defensive group. RU has enough talent to be a very good team.
Kirst (Conner) will upgrade then offense game at midfield...he will help the others...attack will be strong

The new FOGO will be a difference maker for RU (Dugenio)

The defense will be solid as you note...

One spot people forget about that can create a massive advantage is the SSDM spot...watch for Kamish to build on his effectiveness from last year (5G/1A) in 6 games...he was an offensive sharpshooter that plays better in unsettled late offense...he could be a transition catalyst along with Daniger and Franckowiak...these guys are all now veterans and I just have a feeling that if RU gets high level play from these transition guys...especially Kamish...they could give people fits...

I think Russo stays in net...he's solid

I'm bullish on RU with the off season additions...

Hope they play
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fair enough, Cooter, regarding PSU. Not sure I agree but not unreasonable I suppose. I probably have a much higher opinion of Tambroni than you do as well I would guess.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”