Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:06 pm where are these magical places that have moved on?
most of Asia?
New Zealand? Australia?

Of course, that doesn't mean they've actually 'moved on', but yeah, mostly living normally.
Certainly much better than us.
Closing ski resorts is normal? who knew :roll:
I would keep the slopes open but close down the lodges. Ski and get back in your car and go home. Stop at a drive thru to eat or call ahead and pick up food curbside and eat in your car.
“I wish you would!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:16 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:06 pm where are these magical places that have moved on?
most of Asia?
New Zealand? Australia?

Of course, that doesn't mean they've actually 'moved on', but yeah, mostly living normally.
I would keep the slopes open but close down the lodges. Ski and get back in your car and go home. Stop at a drive thru to eat or call ahead and pick up food curbside and eat in your car.
And create yellow snow.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:16 pm
most of Asia?
New Zealand? Australia?

And create yellow snow.
That or portables or depends.
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

most of Asia?
New Zealand? Australia?

Tahoe shut down every resort the same day as
their biggest snow dump in years,
8 - 10 feet in a little over a day,
March 14th.
mocking jay

Post by mocking jay »

It is amusing how”rights” are so often a one way street. The notion of responsibility is ignored in the effort to push the argument rights have been abridged. Not since the Civil War ? Sounds like an originalist legal argument. Citizenship beings with it responsibility as as protection for certain individual rights. The narcissists who argue their rights share in the responsibility for failing to control the virus in the first place. Currently herd immunity rules the national approach. A guarantee for maximum death. Currently trending to 400,000by year end. The country has the world’s worst response record. Meanwhile the virus has mutated in Europe and the mutation is spreading.the Constitution was written “ to provide for the “ general welfare”. The inadequacy of the central government function is what led to the ConstitutionL Convention. Rights carry responsibility
mocking jay

Post by mocking jay »

JHU cannot be tossed out of the B1G if they comply with inference rules and the terms of the contract. They can however withdraw from the B1G if they choose which is what they would effectively have chosen if the B1G plays and they decide not to play. That decision would effectively leave JHU with no league at least for a time. The ACC won’t take them. Nor will the Ivies. Patriot league might be the best chance. Without a league they don’t have a second shot to make the tourney.

Cormier is a stud. Any team would be stronger with him on it.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Another 2022 recruit from IL Preps:

“Carson Brown ’22, D, Hun (N.J.) / @BlueStarLax, has committed to @jhumenslacrosse.

A 6-3 lefty, he was an @ILInvitational Session III All-Star playing with @NationUnitedLC and impressed at the Underclass Philly Super Regional.”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Woot!
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Interesting article on Chris Wong.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... chris-wong

“Chris Wong sat down with Blaxers Blog to discuss his unique perspective as a Jamaican and Chinese-American lacrosse player. In 2021, Wong will be a member of the U20 Jamaican men’s lacrosse team. Wong holds Jamaican citizenship but was born stateside and resides in Delaware. His paternal great-grandparents emigrated from China to Jamaica. As a result, Wong’s paternal grandfather was born and raised in Jamaica, and Wong’s father, Brian, was born on the island.

“It’s an awesome opportunity to grow the game,” Wong said. “Even for me being a citizen, the opportunity to represent Jamaica on the U20 team is special.”

Jamaica’s success in the 2018 World Lacrosse Championship inspired Wong as an up-and-coming player of color.

“It was awesome, and they showed out,” Wong said. “They definitely motivated me. It was something I wanted to be a part of. It’s an amazing opportunity to do that in 2021. I’m definitely preparing to play the best players in the world.”

CHRIS WONG
Hometown: Wilmington, Del.
High School: Salesianum School
Position: Attack/Midfield
Class: 2021

On April 27, Peter Milliman left second-ranked Cornell to fill the head coaching vacancy at Johns Hopkins. As a result of this movement, Wong decommitted from his initial commitment at Cornell and to join the growing list of 2021 Johns Hopkins commits.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE JOHNS HOPKINS?

“To start off, it’s one of the most historic lacrosse programs ever. The opportunity came to me, and I’m an hour-and-a-half from my family. Things like that, you can’t pass over. The great coaching staff, I was lucky enough to build a relationship with Coach Milliman at Cornell before he arrived at Johns Hopkins. Also, I’m excited to play for one of the best players ever in John Grant Jr.

“Right now, I’m undecided on my major. I love history. I’m open to anything. I just have to narrow it down. I want to play as hard as I can. Try not to force anything. Just go out there and compete.”

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT PLAYING IN A TOUGH BIG TEN CONFERENCE?

“It’s what you dream of right, playing against the best teams? I’m pretty fired up about this opportunity to play Big Ten lacrosse.”

During his freshman season at Salesianum School in 2018, Wong helped the Sals earn their fourth consecutive Delaware state championship.”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:09 pm Another 2022 recruit from IL Preps:

“Carson Brown ’22, D, Hun (N.J.) / @BlueStarLax, has committed to @jhumenslacrosse.

A 6-3 lefty, he was an @ILInvitational Session III All-Star playing with @NationUnitedLC and impressed at the Underclass Philly Super Regional.”
impressed whom???
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:21 am

impressed whom???
your mom
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:40 am

impressed whom???
your mom
She passed last year, but just a good a scout as your sources.

Classy, as always. Must be something in that Charles st. water....it runs in the family of Johns.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

mocking jay wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 pm It is amusing how”rights” are so often a one way street. The notion of responsibility is ignored in the effort to push the argument rights have been abridged. Not since the Civil War ? Sounds like an originalist legal argument. Citizenship beings with it responsibility as as protection for certain individual rights. The narcissists who argue their rights share in the responsibility for failing to control the virus in the first place. Currently herd immunity rules the national approach. A guarantee for maximum death. Currently trending to 400,000by year end. The country has the world’s worst response record. Meanwhile the virus has mutated in Europe and the mutation is spreading.the Constitution was written “ to provide for the “ general welfare”. The inadequacy of the central government function is what led to the ConstitutionL Convention. Rights carry responsibility
The last time the US has restricted rights on a global scale is during the Civil War when Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus in Maryland at the start of the Civil War. It was later unsuspended and resuspended several times over the entire country during the Civil War and over parts of the US during the Reconstruction and Hawaii for a few weeks after Pearl Harbor. But, so maybe before spouting off you might want to crack open a US history book. At no other time in US history have Americans rights be so restricted.

It isn't narcissism in the least. It is awareness that this virus has a morbidity rate lower than .3...likely even lower than that. Of those 220,000 Americans that have died (and that is tragic I'm not going to argue that) 165,000 were over the age of 75. If you are under the age of 60, you are more likely to die in a car crash this year than die from COVID. I know the morbidity rate for someone over the age of 75 that gets the flu is equivalent to COVID, yet, we didn't stop society. Sadly, old people slowly loss the immunity strength to fight off most respiratory viruses. And for China, when did we ever follow their lead in how to govern a nation. It is a one-party totalitarian state. Maybe I'm confused in believing we live in a Republic and should push back against government actions when deemed inappropriate. It is awareness that the alleged cure is worse than the disease.

Is it narcissistic to want children in school full time? Or to be able to see loved ones (HOP16 - spare me no one is going to get arrested that is just you placating yourself to accept overbroad rules). One of the big issues over the last 4-5 years has been equity and the educational system. Is there equity going on in when we are putting children through faux learning from a distance. This is only going to exacerbate equity. The affluent are going to buy their way out of these issues through tutors, learning pods, etc. The poor, particularly those POC, will be left further behind. I'm not worried about my children in the least. They are currently in school fulltime but I am worried about the impact of children losing 18 months of education particularly those that can least afford it and what that does longterm.

As for sacrificing made during WWII, there was a firmly established goal. Defeat Germany and Japan which meant invading and capturing Berlin and Tokyo (or at least having them submit after dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki). Here what is the goal? As I said, the goals seem to change by the day...bend the curve to save hospitals...let's wait until the vaccine...oh, even if there is a vaccine still social distance. There are different metrics - it was deaths, now hospitalizations, now cases - all to suit what ever silly argument is needed.

And even if those goals in WWII seemed far away during the dark days of the spring of 1942, the government didn't close schools, stop sporting events with fans, stop you from seeing your neighbor, or place restrictions on your life like not gathering in a park with loved ones over the Holidays. You were sacrificing by buying war bonds instead of a new car (if one was available) or gathering scrap metal or not eating out. Or as my grandfather did - he pooled together with his competitors when making sales call to business they all went in the same car.

That is why people are ignoring these rules.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am

impressed whom???
your mom

Classy, as always. Must be something in that Charles st. water....it runs in the family of Johns.
Would you characterize your posting history under a plethora of aliases as full of class and grace?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:12 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:00 am

impressed whom???
your mom

Would you characterize your posting history under a plethora of aliases as full of class and grace?
Yeah......I do.

If you have a post that fits your description, fall on the sword shall I. Much crow pie shall I eat.

Will you provide such?

If it offends you, that I have used a handful of user names (with a very detailed PM explaining why they exist) I can understand that.

Even if it offends you, does it fall on the order of lacking class, or grace,tho?

be careful, this IS the Johns thread, and it was known by many that a certain (RIP) Hopkins poster had well over a dozen "user names". Weird, but certainly not even coming close, to lacking class or grace. He was all of that, and more.

Anything thing else, I am all a glow and ready to go with crow bowl.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

anywhooo, IL just released their next wave of Four stars for the class of 2022. Hopkins has 5 four stars and 1 three star in their class now thanks to this recent recruiting update!

I'm liking this new class. recruiting classes IMO do not need all the bells and whistles to be successful, as long as they find the right guys to bring in and contribute to their culture and program - which can in turn contribute to the system the coaches want to play.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I would suggest the constant bashing and crying since LP specifically in this thread lacks grace. This goes for a certain other poster who’s migrated to ruining the political threads for anyone who would actually want to gain anything from participating there as well. It doesn’t require any specific post to anyone who’s been around for fan lax. I can also recall you specifically ignoring something I wrote directly to you and you ignored it and went off on whatever topic you felt like talking about and demanded only your statements be recognized. That’s not exactly classy.

I don’t care about Hop, probably more about their football program. Of course there’s a number of entitled, self important, non playing alums here. Grace would be to accept it and not whine about it all the time. You cry way too much about mid Atlantic lacrosse and Hop specific. The fact you are pointing to other folks using multiple handles lacks grace or class, just what about those bad Hopkins posters (on their thread where you come looking to just “kick over trash cans”).

FYI, My mother died less than 6mo ago and I can still appreciate a good “your mom” comeback to an antagonistic setup question from someone else and I don’t even see eye to eye with that dude on a ton so you’re “my mom died last year” retort is lame.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
viper

Post by viper »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 am The last time the US has restricted rights on a global scale is during the Civil War when Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus in Maryland at the start of the Civil War. It was later unsuspended and resuspended several times over the entire country during the Civil War and over parts of the US during the Reconstruction and Hawaii for a few weeks after Pearl Harbor. But, so maybe before spouting off you might want to crack open a US history book. At no other time in US history have Americans rights be so restricted.
Actually I would argue the last restriction on rights was the Patriot Act in the early 21st Century which opened the door to surveillance of US Citizens among other restrictions.
steel_hop wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:43 am As for sacrificing made during WWII, there was a firmly established goal. Defeat Germany and Japan which meant invading and capturing Berlin and Tokyo (or at least having them submit after dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki). Here what is the goal? As I said, the goals seem to change by the day...bend the curve to save hospitals...let's wait until the vaccine...oh, even if there is a vaccine still social distance. There are different metrics - it was deaths, now hospitalizations, now cases - all to suit what ever silly argument is needed.
You are correct, the goals have been a moving target. The question is why? I would argue it starts with leadership. Having had a clear and consistent message from the top with transparency to why things change would have gone a long way to getting the population on board. Inconsistent messaging from different individuals in the White House and inconsistent (state by state) solutions for a problem that does not respect state boundaries is not a solution at all. When Florida is blaming NY and vice versa for their issues along the way - that screams for a unified solution from the Federal Government. In WWII the President said "the buck stops here", now the buck stops with Fauci, CDC, HHS, the media, etc.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I throw a few haymakers-about a few more than I should here, but I'm not getting on the recruiting bashing train as I decided months ago after all the highly rated petro busts.

-Harvard announced last night they're reopening campus on a limited basis for the spring. Hopkins is very peer conscious when it comes to these things and that's at least a positive sign.

-One of the things that we've discussed is next springs schedule and I'd defer to cooter or some b1g watchers here more, but the b1g had a nasty fight w/nebraska this week after their game w/wisconsin was canceled. Nebraska wanted a non b1g opponent and the b1g said to go shove your corn in your you know where because we want schools that have the same medical protocols. The b1g is league only play this year in football, is the wealthiest conference in America, status conscious, and health driven so for us that's a situation where they may be saying you can only play in conference opponents next spring. So perhaps we get a limited schedule this year where we play a 10 game b1g only schedule starting in mid february where we play home/away against each b1g opponent. From a health perspective it would probably make a lot more sense. michigan/ohio state for example could play us on a thursday and maryland on a sunday and just make one trip and us and the terps and rutgers would do the same in the midwest. I don't know the science, but feels like that makes a lot more sense given what they're doing in football. Given how strong the conference has gotten I don't think it's a bad idea or that there'd be much opposition. It give the conference very strong rpi, give rutgers and michigan a chance to really get some key wins to move them closer to an elusive ncaa bid.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:26 am -I throw a few haymakers-about a few more than I should here, but I'm not getting on the recruiting bashing train as I decided months ago after all the highly rated petro busts.

-Harvard announced last night they're reopening campus on a limited basis for the spring. Hopkins is very peer conscious when it comes to these things and that's at least a positive sign.

-One of the things that we've discussed is next springs schedule and I'd defer to cooter or some b1g watchers here more, but the b1g had a nasty fight w/nebraska this week after their game w/wisconsin was canceled. Nebraska wanted a non b1g opponent and the b1g said to go shove your corn in your you know where because we want schools that have the same medical protocols. The b1g is league only play this year in football, is the wealthiest conference in America, status conscious, and health driven so for us that's a situation where they may be saying you can only play in conference opponents next spring. So perhaps we get a limited schedule this year where we play a 10 game b1g only schedule starting in mid february where we play home/away against each b1g opponent. From a health perspective it would probably make a lot more sense. michigan/ohio state for example could play us on a thursday and maryland on a sunday and just make one trip and us and the terps and rutgers would do the same in the midwest. I don't know the science, but feels like that makes a lot more sense given what they're doing in football. Given how strong the conference has gotten I don't think it's a bad idea or that there'd be much opposition. It give the conference very strong rpi, give rutgers and michigan a chance to really get some key wins to move them closer to an elusive ncaa bid.
if the entirety of lacrosse has conference only schedules, every conference will have the exact same rpi cumulatively... .500.

if any single conference does it, they will still have a cumulative rpi of .500.
some teams will be higher individually, some lower. but overall rpi for the b1g will be lower generally and individually, as their ooc record is way over .500 every year, typically against a universe of decent, strong-ish teams. and a way to prove superiority over other conferences. no ooc conference games, that's gone.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”