Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If you think some "wealthy white folk" think the "college admissions system is deeply messed up", you should try to gain the trust of some Asian-American parents in a good school district, and get invited to one of their college placement meetings.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm Agree vis a vis the Atlantic (RIP Michael Kelly). But the point is that it is all just a game. And this is how rich white kids feel they have to play it. Either this or “service trips” to Haiti.

I have a junior in HS, gets great grades (all A’s), takes hard classes (4 APs this year), goes to a very well respected HS, both parents (from modest backgrounds) went to JHU and Ivy graduate programs, he’ll play two varsity sports, and I’m currently thinking I’d be very happy if he goes to, I dunno, Lehigh. But we’re wealthy white folk. The college admissions system is deeply messed up. And this is what it breeds.
as far as the athletic exemption from diversity/academic goals.
this is the front of the hopkinssports.com page.
https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/10/ ... tives.aspx
this is the staff photo-which is out of date.
https://hopkinssports.com/staff-directory
this is the masthead of the newsletter-student newspaper
https://www.jhunewsletter.com/page/staff
do the math. there's 2 schools.

HF16 had some great videos. Hope we can play this year.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

If rutgers, penn state, maryland, nfl and mlb can figure out how to play, Hopkins should be able to.
While true, I'm betting Hopkins follows what the Ivies do, particualry if the Homewood remains closed to many/most students. If the Ivies cancel spring sports, then Hopkins can easily skip next season. (yeah, I get that the BiG will most likely be playing.)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 pm Agree vis a vis the Atlantic (RIP Michael Kelly). But the point is that it is all just a game. And this is how rich white kids feel they have to play it. Either this or “service trips” to Haiti.

I have a junior in HS, gets great grades (all A’s), takes hard classes (4 APs this year), goes to a very well respected HS, both parents (from modest backgrounds) went to JHU and Ivy graduate programs, he’ll play two varsity sports, and I’m currently thinking I’d be very happy if he goes to, I dunno, Lehigh. But we’re wealthy white folk. The college admissions system is deeply messed up. And this is what it breeds.
From your description, I suspect your boy will enjoy and value whatever college experience he gets fortunate to be offered. There's lots and lots of opportunity to have a great education almost wherever one ends up, if one is motivated to do so. Unfortunately, not everyone understands that, either because of diploma bragging rights or lax ranking bragging rights.

Good luck to him, and his folks, who appear to have their heads screwed on straight.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

More training videos. I spot Zinn, Grimes, Evans, Angelus, Epstein, Degnon:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/thepu ... 572/?hl=en (these will disappear in 24 hours)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGi2_19hUgF/
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Your son will be fine. You will be fine.

I understand the frustration, but your son is already way ahead in the parents he has.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:34 pm More training videos. I spot Zinn, Grimes, Evans, Angelus, Epstein, Degnon:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/thepu ... 572/?hl=en (these will disappear in 24 hours)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGi2_19hUgF/
Epstein looks like he's moving and cutting well.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I find it funny that Lehigh is where you land...Top #50 school in the country...what a dump :roll:
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

JHU Covid19 team is listing Maryland as a hot spot with numbers rising in cases, hospitalization and ICU. NY has added Maryland to their travel advisories. Not looking good For 2021 season from this seat. Can we stay engaged long term by watching a few Jays shooting around? Possibly because Epstein looks to be BACK!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm JHU Covid19 team is listing Maryland as a hot spot with numbers rising in cases, hospitalization and ICU. NY has added Maryland to their travel advisories. Not looking good For 2021 season from this seat. Can we stay engaged long term by watching a few Jays shooting around? Possibly because Epstein looks to be BACK!
Our rivals are practicing on campus and their football teams are playing. If Duke can do this Hopkins can.

Again the optics of the rest of lacrosse playing next spring and Hopkins not will be a statement by the university leadership to fans, recruits, players, alumni and parents that it does not care about the Hopkins community, the program and really anything that doesn't benefit the university leadership personally, partisan outside pressure groups, and key donors.

If student athletes can safely practice w/out university support, they can play w/university resources to help do it. NFL is doing this, mlb teams have done this, college sports teams are doing this. Lead from the front.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

All fun and games until someone gets sick and their mama goes running to Daniels.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 pm All fun and games until someone gets sick and their mama goes running to Daniels.
if a mouse farts at the school about injustice towards certain groups the response is an automatic $10 million tuition funded solution. If the worlds leading medical institution can't figure how to get kids to safely play sports heads need to roll.
TAV

Post by TAV »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 pm All fun and games until someone gets sick and their mama goes running to Daniels.
if a mouse farts at the school about injustice towards certain groups the response is an automatic $10 million tuition funded solution. If the worlds leading medical institution can't figure how to get kids to safely play sports heads need to roll.
They can, it’s all about perception and liberal group think. As our boy would say “Come on, man! Heads don’t roll @ college, that’s what tenure’s for...” it’s been 50 years in the making, but now a total FUBAR.

My youngest is a Junior @ Harvard and the only saving grace is that as a Statistics Major, it’s kept the warm and fuzzy social justice crew at bay.

As I told him and his brother who went to UNC...it’s just College, guys. It’s not real life.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

TAV wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:47 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 pm
They can, it’s all about perception and liberal group think. As our boy would say “Come on, man! Heads don’t roll @ college, that’s what tenure’s for...” it’s been 50 years in the making, but now a total FUBAR.

My youngest is a Junior @ Harvard and the only saving grace is that as a Statistics Major, it’s kept the warm and fuzzy social justice crew at bay.

As I told him and his brother who went to UNC...it’s just College, guys. It’s not real life.
And in real life, who is running HR?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This discussion, if you can even call it that, is so boring. No decision about anything has been made by anyone. We're months away and the situation is still changing.

Much of the same training group from before, plus McDermott, Bauer, Peshko, and Brunner:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/thepu ... 371/?hl=en
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Very excited, inshallah, to see all these kids play under new systems and coaches, and to see all of you (even if I don't know who any of you are) at Homewood in the spring. Here's hoping for some normalcy relatively soon. I think we all need it (I certainly do). To quote Bart Scott, "Can't Wait!"
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

You need entertainment?

Hell, I could post a video of me emerging from the ground each week, looking for my shadow.

Yikes, six more weeks of nuclear COVID winter!
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:05 pm This discussion, if you can even call it that, is so boring. No decision about anything has been made by anyone. We're months away and the situation is still changing.
and not for the better. You may think it’s boring but when do you think they make the call? Feb 1? My guess is the call on the season for the Ivy League will be in the next 60 days. I know that at least one of the coaches has told his charges to not expect a season. If that domino falls Hopkins will follow suit and I’d wager it’s before the apple drops in Dec.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:29 pm
flalax22 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:46 pm JHU Covid19 team is listing Maryland as a hot spot with numbers rising in cases, hospitalization and ICU. NY has added Maryland to their travel advisories. Not looking good For 2021 season from this seat. Can we stay engaged long term by watching a few Jays shooting around? Possibly because Epstein looks to be BACK!
Our rivals are practicing on campus and their football teams are playing. If Duke can do this Hopkins can.

Again the optics of the rest of lacrosse playing next spring and Hopkins not will be a statement by the university leadership to fans, recruits, players, alumni and parents that it does not care about the Hopkins community, the program and really anything that doesn't benefit the university leadership personally, partisan outside pressure groups, and key donors.

If student athletes can safely practice w/out university support, they can play w/university resources to help do it. NFL is doing this, mlb teams have done this, college sports teams are doing this. Lead from the front.
The only consideration should be public health and safety.

It’s not just the health of students and student athletes involved here. It’s also the health of everyone they could potentially infect in the local community and back home.

I am hoping the Hopkins lacrosse season can move forward safely. If any institution can do it, it’s Johns Hopkins.

But if they decide they can’t, then they can’t.

One missed season isn’t going to undo over a century of unparalleled success.

This is a public health decision, and all other considerations should be set aside, as disappointing as that may be.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:29 pm
Our rivals are practicing on campus and their football teams are playing.
Uhm...pretty sure JHU’s athletic rivals- Moravian, Gettysburg, Muhlenberg and Juniata all cancelled their football seasons.

:lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”