Inside Lacrosse Faceoff Yearbook 2019 Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Inside Lacrosse Faceoff Yearbook 2019 Rankings

Post by wahoomurf »

COOTER: As I differ with you about Virginia, I don't know that I feel that the rest of the rankings look decent, but only within reason. I don't think Virginia deserves to be ranked as high as #5 until they have shown they can put it together on the field. Virginia lost both games to Notre Dame last Spring and both times UVa's offense only managed 7 goals. While this is a new year, I think I would have needed some more convincing results last season that they were really good to put them at #5 now. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, Virginia has a lot of talent, but #8 in the FO ranking seems like a more reasonable ranking at this time.
Your comments,underlined above, are spot on.At this point, your words apply to UVA and to every team in the mix.Rankings are fun and may be the "hot stove league" of college lacrosse.But the only rankings that count are those published on memorial day.

Eager for the season to begin.Best of luck to the coaches,fans and players.Make it a good one.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

wahoomurf wrote:
COOTER: As I differ with you about Virginia, I don't know that I feel that the rest of the rankings look decent, but only within reason. I don't think Virginia deserves to be ranked as high as #5 until they have shown they can put it together on the field. Virginia lost both games to Notre Dame last Spring and both times UVa's offense only managed 7 goals. While this is a new year, I think I would have needed some more convincing results last season that they were really good to put them at #5 now. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, Virginia has a lot of talent, but #8 in the FO ranking seems like a more reasonable ranking at this time.
Your comments,underlined above, are spot on.At this point, your words apply to UVA and to every team in the mix.Rankings are fun and may be the "hot stove league" of college lacrosse.But the only rankings that count are those published on memorial day.

Eager for the season to begin.Best of luck to the coaches,fans and players.Make it a good one.
Perhaps. Although teams return their coaching staffs and a large body of players, who have shown they can be successful on the field. Thus I would say that the statement applies to some teams, like UVa and PSU, a little bit more than others, like Duke or UMd.

Obviously, the preseason rankings mean more to you than you let on, since you bothered to post here. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:

Perhaps. Although teams return their coaching staffs and a large body of players, who have shown they can be successful on the field. Thus I would say that the statement applies to some teams, like UVa and PSU, a little bit more than others, like Duke or UMd.

Obviously, the preseason rankings mean more to you than you let on, since you bothered to post here. :idea:
Interesting.....but wrong.Perhaps what :?:
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

wahoomurf wrote:
Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:

Interesting.....but wrong.Perhaps what :?:
Perhaps, you could apply the first underlined statement to every team in lacrosse...
As for the 2nd underlined statement, a lot of teams had more convincing results than UVa last season.

but wrong - about what?
Live Free or Die!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:
Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:

Perhaps, you could apply the first underlined statement to every team in lacrosse...
As for the 2nd underlined statement, a lot of teams had more convincing results than UVa last season.

but wrong - about what?
Wrong about this statement---"Obviously, the preseason rankings mean more to you than you let on, since you bothered to post here".I post when and where I choose.What makes my post so "obvious"? Are you the anointed gatekeeper of posting? Do you have ESP? Do you honestly believe a comment on a thread indicates "the preseason rankings mean more to me than I let on"? Wow.You OBVIOUSLY are obsessed with pre-season rankings.In spite of your deep and abiding knowledge of what I THINK,I don't givva about rankings.

I thought UVA,UNC,Navy,Bruno,Lehigh under-performed last year.It's a new season.I'll wait until the Tournament concludes to view the rankings.I'm eager to see if the winner will be ranked #1.But you knew that before I posted my thoughts here. :roll:

LIFE GOES ON!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

wahoomurf wrote:
Wrong about this statement---"Obviously, the preseason rankings mean more to you than you let on, since you bothered to post here".I post when and where I choose.What makes my post so "obvious"? Are you the anointed gatekeeper of posting? Do you have ESP? Do you honestly believe a comment on a thread indicates "the preseason rankings mean more to me than I let on"? Wow.You OBVIOUSLY are obsessed with pre-season rankings.In spite of your deep and abiding knowledge of what I THINK,I don't givva about rankings.
My, my, aren't we sensitive today.
Live Free or Die!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Who will be the surprise team making A move onto the top 20?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:
My, my, aren't we sensitive today.
WE? I'm confused---sensible or sensitive?I cop to taking umbrage when someone takes umbrage to what and where I choose to post.Not just TODAY.I'll react each and every day if I disagree with anyone who purports to psychoanalyze my thoughts.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Irritable would probably have been a better choice.
I never told you where you could post, but "actions speak louder than words".

So what is you case for UVa being #1, that they scored some 4th quarter goals to make the Loyola loss look closer than it was in the NCAA tmt. or the kept it within 11 against ND in the ACC final? Of course, they did dominate VMI 17-8 in between - that is it!
Live Free or Die!
laxlife

Post by laxlife »

Maybe a mild surprise but the RIchmond Spiders could break into the Top 20. Lost to Albany last year in the NCAA tourney with a young team. The Spiders return 72% of their goal scoring in 2019 including total 141 points from their Top 4 returning scorers. An incredibly challenging OOC schedule that includes MD, ND, UVA, and Duke. Played UVA and ND tough last year despite losses.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:
Thought you were just joking with calling this a "cupcake" schedule. But followed it up with "really should...." comment.

Anyways, regardless.....do you even follow Div. I mens lacrosse? Besides a few colleges, 'cup cakes DON'T exist. Just ask coach Shay.....one of the losses that CHAMPION Yale had was to Bucknell. B/c the Patriot League is usually a ONE team league invite....and Bucknell lost to BU in the league playoffs.....the Bisons were NOT invited to the N$aa's. Big East having three invites didn't help either. And, of course, the Commandment, "thou shall always invite the entire ACC, whenever possible. " got Virgnia a bid.

To sum up, Yale didn't dominate, which is a good thing, last year. Except against Brown Not why I think they might not even make the playoffs.....but, someone posted the FACT that N$aa will invite champ back, if possible. How did it work out for that UNC team with a lousy record, in the first round? (the score at halftime, was what, 0-13, UNC losing, BUT UNC could have won the game against Albany. Just more anti-cupcake fodder )

Cupcakes don't exist. Period. (except, maybe, VMI, Wagner, NJIT.... and other teams that Hopkins schedules :D )

Hopkins has never played any of those teams. Over the last five years, the Blue Jays strength of schedule has been: #3, #2, #1, #4, #5. What are you talking about. (Yale's SOS over that same period has been #6, #18, #26, #25, #23.)

The combined record last year of those teams I mentioned, INCLUDING Albany, was 52-53. Take out Albany, who's most likely not going to be as good in 2019, and it's 36-50. So, yeah, they better win the majority of those games. That is not a difficult stretch of games, sorry.
Was it that so long ago that Hopkins scheduled Sienna, Manhattan, UMBC and Michigan ? Mt. St. Mary's is back in the loop though. Michigan is better ?

But, my point is simple. You think Air Force is a cupcake? Based on last years "roving suspension" type season? Beat Duke two years in a row (16 & 17 ) Penn is a cupcake? Umm....OK. Brown lost NO ONE to graduation and you really think the non lacrosse playing , yet NCAA winning coach....won't be better this year? (Browns system of GO is his, after all. ) Harvard will continue to get in$wag lacro$$e top picks.....and flounder. So, which is it? IL knows how to pickem, or the laxbro's get weak legged b/c of all the sunning beauties on the banks of the Charles, come the first 60 degree day?

Hopkins won't schedule Bucknell......to long of a bus ride I guess.
Tell Bucknell to put two winning seasons together in a row and maybe Hopkins would play them. The bus rides to Syracuse, Virginia, and North Carolina don't seem to be an issue.

Jays haven't played Siena or Manhattan since 2013. Mount St. Mary's replaced UMBC on this year's schedule. Definitely a cupcake game the Jays need to win. But that's about the only one you'll find.

And yes Michigan is better than those teams.

I still have no idea what you're actually trying to say. Hopkins doesn't play a good schedule? Please tell me that's not what you're actually insinuating.

None of this changes the fact that the second half of Yale's schedule is easy. They'll be favored in every single one of those games. Not exactly farfetched to suggest they should go 6-1.
Bucknell had NINE winning seasons in a row, starting in 2005. You sure are making sense, especially having win streakers scheduled against Hopkins that were mentioned. Has Manhatten EVER had a winning season?

Yup. like myself and others have pointed out....Johns Hopkins hasnt driven over the Hudson River for a regular season game, in how long?

But, why you aren't understanding my point, I apologize for not being clear. Cupcakes do NOT exist in Mens Div. I lacrosse. They just don't. Maryland has a starter from Utah. Utah will have a team playing........Its not even the same as it was 5-6 years ago. Cupcake free zone. Is UPENN in the IL top 25? what.....what...they are?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote:
Bucknell had NINE winning seasons in a row, starting in 2005. You sure are making sense, especially having win streakers scheduled against Hopkins that were mentioned. Has Manhatten EVER had a winning season?

Yup. like myself and others have pointed out....Johns Hopkins hasnt driven over the Hudson River for a regular season game, in how long?

But, why you aren't understanding my point, I apologize for not being clear. Cupcakes do NOT exist in Mens Div. I lacrosse. They just don't. Maryland has a starter from Utah. Utah will have a team playing........Its not even the same as it was 5-6 years ago. Cupcake free zone. Is UPENN in the IL top 25? what.....what...they are?
This is an actually insane because Hopkins hasn't played Manhattan in 6 years, but for the sake of argument, I know that cupcakes exist because Manhattan was one of them. Hopkins beat them every single year. Some teams aren't very good. It is the reality of sports. You can try to boost their morale or whatever by saying "there are no easy games" but the fact is that some games are much easier than others. Sometimes teams are expected to win and—I know this is shocking to you—they win! Consistently! That doesn't mean upsets can't or don't ever happen, of course they do.

Penn hasn't made the tournament since 2014. Their records since have been 6-7, 8-7, 7-6, 7-8. They're exactly 28-28 since last making the postseason. Granted, they usually play a hard schedule, but that strikes me as pretty mediocre, no? Not coincidentally, 2014 was also the last time they beat Yale. They are 0-7 against Yale since 2014, including last year's 21-6 drubbing in the first round of the Ivy tournament. In two games combined they lost 33-12 to Yale. So pardon me if I expect Yale to run through the Quakers again in 2019.

All I was saying was that the second half of Yale's schedule is easy, and the numbers back that up. It will be surprising if they win less than 6 of those 7 games. Doesn't mean it CANNOT happen. It means it probably won't. Didn't really think that was controversial.

Your points on Hopkins make no sense. They routinely have one of the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out. I don't know why they don't play Bucknell, but you can't play everyone. My statement about Bucknell was a joke. They're good. (Although they won't be as good this year as they were in 2018). Hop has plenty of quality competition on the schedule already, unlike some other teams who could use a boost in SOS.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:

This is an actually insane because Hopkins hasn't played Manhattan in 6 years, but for the sake of argument, I know that cupcakes exist because Manhattan was one of them. Hopkins beat them every single year. Some teams aren't very good. It is the reality of sports. You can try to boost their morale or whatever by saying "there are no easy games" but the fact is that some games are much easier than others. Sometimes teams are expected to win and—I know this is shocking to you—they win! Consistently! That doesn't mean upsets can't or don't ever happen, of course they do.

Penn hasn't made the tournament since 2014. Their records since have been 6-7, 8-7, 7-6, 7-8. They're exactly 28-28 since last making the postseason. Granted, they usually play a hard schedule, but that strikes me as pretty mediocre, no? Not coincidentally, 2014 was also the last time they beat Yale. They are 0-7 against Yale since 2014, including last year's 21-6 drubbing in the first round of the Ivy tournament. In two games combined they lost 33-12 to Yale. So pardon me if I expect Yale to run through the Quakers again in 2019.

All I was saying was that the second half of Yale's schedule is easy, and the numbers back that up. It will be surprising if they win less than 6 of those 7 games. Doesn't mean it CANNOT happen. It means it probably won't. Didn't really think that was controversial.

Your points on Hopkins make no sense. They routinely have one of the toughest schedules in the country year in and year out. I don't know why they don't play Bucknell, but you can't play everyone. My statement about Bucknell was a joke. They're good. (Although they won't be as good this year as they were in 2018). Hop has plenty of quality competition on the schedule already, unlike some other teams who could use a boost in SOS.
Yale's schedule is a walk in the park compared to Hopkins. Yes its true that there are not a ton of truly bad teams but relatively speaking Yale's schedule is filled with "cupcakes." Airforce Quinnipiac and Dartmouth are all solidly in the cupcake category. Brown and Harvard have been quite unimpressive in recent years as well (borderline cupcake). Even Villanova and Princeton are not super hard. I would advise against sleeping on Penn though despite recent results. Last year they beat Michigan, Bucknell, crushed Nayv, and even beat Duke. They also return lots of their talent. As for Hopkins, they only have two definite cupcakes with Mount St. Mary's and Delaware and then two not so hard games with Towson and Princeton. Besides that every game for them is against a legitimately good team that will give them a tough game.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I'm biased but I don't see Delaware in the cupcake category. They bring back all but one player from last year and were tied with Hopkins to start the fourth quarter last year before fading losing 14-8. They also had one goal losses to the other 2 NCAA qualifiers they played UMass and Nova.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Sorry I meant no disrespect I was just going by the inside lacrosse page on them. According to that they are losing 2 of their top 3 scorers. Is that incorrect? Losing to Mercer and a really bad Binghamton team were my main reasons for writing them off. But it is impressive that they played UMass and Villanova to within one goal. Hope they turn it around.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

No problem, it's hard to keep up with all the teams and they were 6-8 last year so I understand. They lost only one senior who played, Wil Hirschman who was their number two scorer, other than that they bring everyone back. In fairness after starting 3 - 1 with a one goal loss to Nova they had two rough losses to Mercer and Binghamton in OT followed by losses at Hop and Rutgers. Then went 3-2 in the league losing in conf semis to Towson in OT. They have 17 Seniors many of whom have played significant minutes and could be a force in the CAA. Good luck to all!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Cooter wrote:Irritable would probably have been a better choice.

So what is you case for UVa being #1, that they scored some 4th quarter goals to make the Loyola loss look closer than it was in the NCAA tmt. or the kept it within 11 against ND in the ACC final? Of course, they did dominate VMI 17-8 in between - that is it!
Quoth wahoomurf I thought UVA, UNC, Navy, Bruno,Lehigh under-performed last year. :roll: YOU CASEfor Detroit Mercy being #1 is interesting.NEXT.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

wahoomurf wrote:

Quoth wahoomurf I thought UVA, UNC, Navy, Bruno,Lehigh under-performed last year. :roll: YOU CASEfor Detroit Mercy being #1 is interesting.NEXT.
Oh, I made a typo. What a big deal on a forum.
Making a big deal of such a thing on a forum, really lacks class.
Live Free or Die!
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Their’s no reason to loose your sense of humor. If One L Hillary, were around, than you would see some corrections.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Cooter wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:

Oh, I made a typo. What a big deal on a forum.
Making a big deal of such a thing on a forum, really lacks class.
You think a spelling error is a BIG DEAL? I don't.Don't be so tough on yourself. But I must admit your interpretation of my comment---to wit "I thought UVA, UNC, Navy, Bruno,Lehigh under-performed last year lacks class.You read that and averred "you case for UVa being #1" was a declaration I made? :roll: Spell check will help you with the words.Neurological intervention can help you with your reading comprehension.Best of luck.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”