All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm Pennsylvania adds more than 1,000 Covid-19 cases for 10th day in a row
From CNN's Kristina Sgueglia

Pennsylvania added nearly 1,600 Covid-19 cases, the state health department reported Thursday, marking the 10th consecutive day with more than 1,000 new cases.

The state reported an additional 21 new deaths.

Earlier Thursday, the state said it would be adding an outdoor testing clinic in Ralpho Township, Northumberland County, to contain what health officials say is a “recent rapid increase in Covid-19 cases.”

https://www.media.pa.gov/pages/health-d ... ewsid=1074
I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to continually post increased death tolls or projections. Must have something to do with the sense of I told you so............... It almost seems like some are happy to see these numbers go up.

Don't give me that same old line about.......we are just holding this Administration accountable for all the deaths.....blah...blah...blah. That ship sailed a long time ago. Pointing out increased deaths or potential deaths does nothing to further the conversation but What the heck....I may be in the minority here.

Carry on, I anxiously wait for the next ghoulish account of the dead or projection of the dead.
covid seems to be catching on in most of the first world countries. and they were all doing so well. seems contagious.
I don’t see the point in bringing up death toll. roll tide!
And you think that brining it up is going to change anyone's mind that will go to a game?
Who posts here with the idea of changing someone’s mind? I know I don’t.

War Eagle
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:42 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 pm I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to continually post increased death tolls or projections. Must have something to do with the sense of I told you so............... It almost seems like some are happy to see these numbers go up.
This is a “show your true colors” comment. Pretty disgusting in my view.

But to sink to your level and respond, death statistics are kept for all kinds of causes: war, cancer, auto, heart disease, suicide, guns, and on and on and on.

And they are reported on regularly.
True colors? Are you kidding me? What ever suits your narrative. We certainly keep statistics like you said for all sorts of things. Do we keep them in real time and incessantly keep bringing them up? That is the point and it was made months ago.
Yes, true colors. It’s not my narrative. It’s yours. You are the one objecting to the statistics, not me.

In case you hadn’t noticed, we are in the middle of a pandemic. That’s why death stats are being reported on a regular basis. And, since we are still in the middle of this, projections are highly relevant. Do they sometimes turn out to be inaccurate? Yes, as is the case with virtually all projections in all instances. That doesn’t make them meaningless.

If you are tired of reading about them, then don’t. Pretty simple.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 pm I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to continually post increased death tolls or projections. Must have something to do with the sense of I told you so............... It almost seems like some are happy to see these numbers go up.

But to sink to your level and respond, death statistics are kept for all kinds of causes: war, cancer, auto, heart disease, suicide, guns, and on and on and on.

True colors? Are you kidding me? What ever suits your narrative. We certainly keep statistics like you said for all sorts of things. Do we keep them in real time and incessantly keep bringing them up? That is the point and it was made months ago.
Yes, true colors. It’s not my narrative. It’s yours. You are the one objecting to the statistics, not me.

In case you hadn’t noticed, we are in the middle of a pandemic. That’s why death stats are being reported on a regular basis. And, since we are still in the middle of this, projections are highly relevant. Do they sometimes turn out to be inaccurate? Yes, as is the case with virtually all projections in all instances. That doesn’t make them meaningless.

If you are tired of reading about them, then don’t. Pretty simple.
And furthermore, the fact that the USA stats stay high and keep from dropping off tells us something about our response - it is not entirely working. The essential problem is whether you are willing to learn from your mistakes. Current admin: no. Just ignore the problem.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

CU88 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm Pennsylvania adds more than 1,000 Covid-19 cases for 10th day in a row

Pennsylvania added nearly 1,600 Covid-19 cases, the state health department reported Thursday, marking the 10th consecutive day with more than 1,000 new cases.

Earlier Thursday, the state said it would be adding an outdoor testing clinic in Ralpho Township, Northumberland County, to contain what health officials say is a “recent rapid increase in Covid-19 cases.”

I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to continually post increased death tolls or projections. Must have something to do with the sense of I told you so............... It almost seems like some are happy to see these numbers go up.

Don't give me that same old line about.......we are just holding this Administration accountable for all the deaths.....blah...blah...blah. That ship sailed a long time ago. Pointing out increased deaths or potential deaths does nothing to further the conversation but What the heck....I may be in the minority here.

Carry on, I anxiously wait for the next ghoulish account of the dead or projection of the dead.
Bart,

See my response, you are MOST certainly not in the minority. You find that on this thread all the time, I really don't understand it!

JoeMauer89!
njbill

Post by njbill »

He isn’t alone, but he is decidedly in the minority.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Did Lockdowns Lower Premature Births? A New Study Adds Evidence

Dutch researchers say the “impact was real,” adding to hopes that doctors will learn more about factors contributing to preterm birth.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/heal ... -nythealth
Some public health researchers are seeing hints that the coronavirus pandemic might help solve a longstanding puzzle: What causes premature birth?

Studies in Ireland and Denmark this summer showed that preterm births decreased in the spring during lockdowns to stop the spread of the virus in those countries. Anecdotally, doctors around the world reported similar drops. They speculated that reduced stress on mothers, cleaner air or better hygiene might have contributed. A large study from the Netherlands, published on Tuesday in The Lancet Public Health, has yielded even stronger evidence of an association between the lockdowns and a smaller number of early births.

The authors used data from a national newborn screening program. As in the United States, nearly all babies in the Netherlands have a spot of blood collected a few days after birth and tested for certain diseases. Information including the babies’ gestational ages — at how many weeks of the mother’s term they were born — is collected at the same time.

The Dutch researchers examined newborn blood screening data from 2010 to 2020, which included more than 1.5 million infants. Over 56,000 of those babies were born after the Netherlands started locking down in response to the pandemic.

With their large data set, the researchers compared early births in windows one to four months before and after the lockdown. Looking at the same windows in earlier years let them account for any other trends, such as seasonal changes in premature birth. No matter which windows they used, the researchers saw that premature births had dropped after March 9, when the government in the Netherlands began warning the public to take more hygiene measures and to stay home if they had symptoms or possible exposures to the virus. Within the next week, schools and workplaces began to close down.

“We could see that this impact was real,” said Dr. Jasper Been, a neonatologist at Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam and the study’s lead author. The reduction was from 15 to 23 percent, he said.

Dr. Roy Philip, a neonatologist at University Maternity Hospital Limerick in Ireland and author of the earlier study finding fewer preterm births this spring in the country, said he was “truly delighted” to read the new paper. He said it suggested that the lockdown did, in fact, cause the drop in early births. Unlike the Irish and Danish studies, the new Dutch study showed a decrease across all ages of premature babies — not only the earliest ones.

But as is often the case after such an investigation, Dr. Been said, “You have more questions than you started out with.”

One of those unanswered questions is about stillbirths. In the best-case scenario, the preemies that were missing from hospitals this spring were born as healthy full-term infants. But it’s possible that some of those missing preemies died, instead.

Stillbirths “might actually be the dark side of this,” Dr. Been said. Researchers couldn’t measure stillbirths in the Dutch data set, because only live infants undergo newborn screening. If most of the missing preemies were actually stillborn, Dr. Been said, there would have to have been a huge increase in stillbirths — maybe three times the usual number, conservatively. No one has reported such a change so far.
Coronavirus Schools Briefing: It’s back to school — or is it?

At one hospital in London, a study showed an increase in stillbirths after the start of the pandemic (not the lockdown). This increase might have come from hidden coronavirus infections, the authors wrote, or from women’s reluctance to seek medical care during the pandemic. Studies in Nepal and India showed that mothers were less likely to give birth in hospitals in the spring, and that stillbirths increased in those countries. Further complicating the picture, Covid-19 itself may raise the odds of premature birth.

To find out how pandemic lockdowns affected preterm birth across different countries, the Dutch researchers have joined an international consortium of nearly 40 nations sharing data. Lockdowns might have been good for the health of mothers and babies in some places and not others, Dr. Been said, adding, “In general, we see that this whole pandemic seems to increase inequalities a lot.” The Dutch study even hinted that the drop in preterm births was limited to wealthier neighborhoods, although the result wasn’t statistically significant.

“Boy, did this affect people really differently,” said Jennifer Culhane, a senior research scientist in obstetrics and gynecology at Yale School of Medicine.

Dr. Culhane said the new study confirmed what she had been hearing from colleagues in the United States about lower preterm birthrates this spring. “Anecdotally, this is what we’re all hearing and feeling,” she said. In the absence of strong evidence in the United States, she and her colleagues have partnered with an insurance company to begin a large-scale study of how lockdowns affected premature births in this country.

She speculates that the lockdown’s effects might have depended on economic circumstances. For mothers who had the resources to work from home, “This could have a been a stress-reducing moment,” she said. For essential workers or those experiencing economic hardships, it might have been a different story.

“We see gross inequities in this country,” Dr. Culhane said. “My guess is that women that had no reprieve from rat-racy-type things had, actually, an enhanced burden of stress.”

Scientists have long struggled to find the causes of premature birth, and good ways to prevent it. “We haven’t been able to reduce the preterm birthrate come hell or high water,” Dr. Culhane said. Future studies could finally reveal ways to prevent early births for all mothers — no pandemic needed.
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Bart,

See my response, you are MOST certainly not in the minority. You find that on this thread all the time, I really don't understand it!

JoeMauer89!
We may as well shut down this thread.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

then i'm moving over to the uk fanlax. can't imagine what's going on over there.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 pm

covid seems to be catching on in most of the first world countries. and they were all doing so well. seems contagious.
And you think that brining it up is going to change anyone's mind that will go to a game?

War Eagle
You may not( or think you don't) But the majority of these posters spend most every day trying to convince 1 or 2 posters who ARE CLEARLY trying to rile them up, that this is not a "HOAX". Move On, there's nothing wrong with somebody expressing a viewpoint that doesn't fit whatever your narrative is. It's the whole purpose of this thread lately, an endless crusade to prove sole culpability by this administration, using an onslaught of death projections, case counts and countless other measures that are just a SMALL part of how you measure the progress of a pandemic. This is coming from someone who I know is quite YOUNGER than all of the posters on this thread. It's really puzzling, just ramming your head against the same wall, day after day, week after week! :roll: :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm then i'm moving over to the uk fanlax. can't imagine what's going on over there.
We can’t do anything about it. It is what it is.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:59 pm

War Eagle
You may not( or think you don't) But the majority of these posters spend most every day trying to convince 1 or 2 posters who ARE CLEARLY trying to rile them up, that this is not a "HOAX". Move On, there's nothing wrong with somebody expressing a viewpoint that doesn't fit whatever your narrative is. It's the whole purpose of this thread lately, an endless crusade to prove sole culpability by this administration, using an onslaught of death projections, case counts and countless other measures that are just a SMALL part of how you measure the progress of a pandemic. This is coming from someone who I know is quite YOUNGER than all of the posters on this thread. It's really puzzling, just ramming your head against the same wall, day after day, week after week! :roll: :roll: :roll:

JoeMauer89!
I didn’t say I don’t try to rile someone up. Look at what you have to look forward to....getting old and cranky.

Go ‘Bucks
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:10 pm then i'm moving over to the uk fanlax. can't imagine what's going on over there.
not 'til january, anyway.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 pm He isn’t alone, but he is decidedly in the minority.
I will be in that minority. Yeah, I am sick of seeing the number of people who have died brought up and used as a weapon.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm
not 'til january, anyway.
Everything will be better.......NOT. When it isn't the other side will be using the same set of numbers as their weapon of choice.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Objecting to the statistics? Not one bit. Objecting to the statistics being used as a weapon. That is my narrative.

You are certainly allowed your perception. So am I.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Objecting to the statistics? Not one bit. Objecting to the statistics being used as a weapon. That is my narrative.

You are certainly allowed your perception. So am I.
Bart,

Agreed, well said!!

JoeMauer89!
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The surging virus.

The autumn wave of the coronavirus has reached a dangerous new stage. The number of new daily cases has risen almost 50 percent in the U.S. over the past month. The situation is even worse in Europe.

For the first time since late March, the per capita number of new cases in Europe exceeds the number in the U.S.:

By The New York Times | Sources: Johns Hopkins University, World Bank
“The virus is everywhere in France,” the French president, Emmanuel Macron, said yesterday, while imposing a nighttime curfew in major cities.

The onset of cooler weather, which is driving more people indoors, seems to be playing a big role. And many people seem to have grown tired of pandemic restrictions, leading politicians — in both Europe and the U.S. — to lift restrictions prematurely.

In late June, as The Times’s Mark Landler writes from Europe, residents in Prague held a dinner party stretching across the Charles Bridge to celebrate what they called — wrongly — the end of the outbreak. Italy and Spain welcomed summer tourists.

But the pandemic hasn’t gone away. While treatments are getting better, many people are still dying — including almost 6,000 in India over the past week, 5,000 in the U.S., 1,700 in Iran, 850 in Spain and about 600 in both Britain and France. A widely available vaccine is still months away, even if the current research trials go well.

Amid all of this bad news, it’s worth keeping in mind that some countries continue to fight the virus successfully. The per capita rate of new cases in Canada is less than half as high as it is in the U.S. In Australia and much of Africa and Asia, the rate remains near zero.

In many places where case counts are rising, political leaders are reluctant to impose new lockdowns, because the public is tired of them. But that creates something of a Catch-22: The most reliable way to reverse big outbreaks of this virus has been through strict crackdowns.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to continually post increased death tolls or projections.
"I guess" you did not check the title of this thread...

:?:

I guess I just do not get why people feel the need to complain about posts about Covid-19 on the Covid-19 thread...

:lol:
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:20 pm Objecting to the statistics? Not one bit. Objecting to the statistics being used as a weapon. That is my narrative.
That isn’t what your initial post said.

Perhaps you can let us know when the stats are being used as a weapon and when not. In your view.

If someone says Trump is responsible for 200,000+ of the deaths, then, yes, that would be using these statistics as a weapon. But a general reporting of them as they develop on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis is not weaponizing them.

My perception is that they are only being used as a “weapon” (whatever that means) a very small amount of the time.
Typical Lax Dad

njbill wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:37 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:20 pm Objecting to the statistics? Not one bit. Objecting to the statistics being used as a weapon. That is my narrative.
That isn’t what your initial post said.

Perhaps you can let us know when the stats are being used as a weapon and when not. In your view.

If someone says Trump is responsible for 200,000+ of the deaths, then, yes, that would be using these statistics as a weapon. But a general reporting of them as they develop on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis is not weaponizing them.

My perception is that they are only being used as a “weapon” (whatever that means) a very small amount of the time.
You can’t pin 200,000 deaths on Trump. Poor handling at the Federal level and politicizing a pandemic....you bet! Liberate Your State!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”