All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

RedFromMI

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

MD - +100. The onus is on us. (Pun intended).
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an-ex ... d=msedgdhp
An explosive new documentary details how Jared Kushner's coronavirus task force consisted mainly of 20-something volunteers buying PPE with personal email accounts
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am
Bart wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:19 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:51 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:37 pm WHO dr. walking back lockdowns a bit. Is this a call to “get back to work.....safely”. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.c ... 7731c3da74

As Fauci even stated, let’s get the curve flattened, which was done months ago, and the lockdown was indeed to buy us time for PPE and safety for health care workers.
I believe folks have been getting back to work safely for some time. Have you not seen it?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-lock ... yURL_share

Going back to life pre Covid is not likely for some time. Some industries will be disproportionately impacted. A byproduct of health concerns. Airlines, hotels, vacations, bars & restaurants....rich people’s problems really.
"Going back to life pre Covid is not likely for some time" You make this statement like this is a fact. Whatever you want to believe, its ENTIRELY up to the general public. There are FAR more who are beyond frustrated with the restrictions and with each passing month the sentiment begins to change. There's a whole world out there of people under 60 who are ready to resume normalcy. I use that number because overwhelmingly the largest portion of hesitancy comes from that group 60+. I am youngin myself and am around many younger people. People in their 30's 40's 50's have grown beyond TIRED of the restrictions, especially in NY. It doesn't mean they are acting like complete fools, they no longer are accepting the fact that the virus has to rule every aspect of life. You only get one perspective on this site, because for the most part all of those who have similar opinions (about 9-10, you know who you are) are 60+. They simply fail to see the perspective from any other angle, and it's clearly evident every day in reading this thread. Realize, that is insular FanLax Community is no way shape or form representative of society as a whole. That gets forgotten every day and really in most every post!

JoeMauer89!

Disagree, it's a fact to YOU, but many others feel differently. You will not convince me otherwise. Just because someone is younger and less at risk doesn't mean there life is any LESS important than somebody who is at risk. That's where as a society, so many have gone about this the wrong. Life is about managing risk, NOT eliminating it. Therefore CV-19 is no different, it doesn't just magically upend the laws of human nature because we as a society obsess over it. We won't eliminate CV-19, won't even come close. Life will however continue to go on, and I would bet good money that it will be a lot like pre CV-19. Your giving the media and governors too much credit, they are the ones are benefitting the most from this virus, with added power and control. Your blind if you cannot see that. I am talking about the governors, not you know who. Governor Cuomo is the biggest piece of s**t there is and he's doing everything he can to make life in NY miserable, he's just "following the science" Am I supposed to think everything he is doing is justified because he is "following the science" He's a moron, and people in NY are starting to grow quite tired of it.

JoeMauer89!
Joe...your perception about the NYS Gov is certainly what you feel. I know people who feel the exact opposite. Not 60+ but late 40's or 50's in the prime of their earning. Good paying jobs ect...ect. I think the difference may be that they know people directly who have dealt with the virus. It certainly changed their mind. As always, perception certainly is reality and there is no real good answer to any of this.
Bart,

Good point, just trying to bring to light a viewpoint that is not shared much on this site. I've have had it touch me on a personal level, know a few that have had it. Still think the restrictions are far too overreaching in NY, but I guess I'm in the minority here, which is fine. Just bringing a different perspective to the forum. My main beef is this media-inspired notion, that if you don't fear the virus, you don't take it seriously enough. That's the biggest crock of you know what. It's not nearly as black or white, and I feel we are personally moving closer and closer to a middle ground.

JoeMauer89!
I don't know if fear is a word I would personally use (although I do believe there are lots of people afraid) but respect for the potential of what can happen, that is my perspective and my reality. Personal situations will determine what type of respect for downside potential of an individuals actions. As you suggest NYS is too draconian, some say NYS has not acted with enough severity in the current hot spots. It really is a matter of perspective in where you live, what your role in your community is and your interpersonal relationship with those at risk. It really is a rock and hard place scenario in my opinion.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Jeez*s H.

Does anyone know anything

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Sunday that it no longer recommends economic lockdowns to fight the novel coronavirus, effectively reversing its position.

“We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus,” the group’s envoy, Dr. David Nabarro, told world health leaders and media on Sunday. “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

“Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer.”
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am Good point, just trying to bring to light a viewpoint that is not shared much on this site. I've have had it touch me on a personal level, know a few that have had it. Still think the restrictions are far too overreaching in NY, but I guess I'm in the minority here, which is fine.
No thoughtful person can tell you where you draw the line, Pete.

Pretend you're the Gov of NY. Your health experts give you two choices:

1.Open more wide open. They tell you this choice will likely kill another 1,000 of the citizens you are responsible for....

2. Shut things down a little more. They tell you this choice will likely put another 1,000 people out of work, lead to mental health issues, suicide, domestic violence, etc.

Which one do you choose?

There isn't a right answer. Period. We need to stop acting like there is one.

One thing I DO know is that there's no excuse for not wearing a mask, staying away from others, and choosing outdoors versus indoors every chance you get.

Oh, and Congress---both parties----should be ashamed they didn't provide more economic help that they OWE to citizens for FORCING us to shut down our businesses and other activities. You can't do one without the other.
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm Jeez*s H.

Does anyone know anything

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Sunday that it no longer recommends economic lockdowns to fight the novel coronavirus, effectively reversing its position.

“We in the World Health Organization do not advocate lockdowns as the primary means of control of this virus,” the group’s envoy, Dr. David Nabarro, told world health leaders and media on Sunday. “The only time we believe a lockdown is justified is to buy you time to reorganize, regroup, rebalance your resources, protect your health workers who are exhausted, but by and large, we’d rather not do it.”

“Lockdowns just have one consequence that you must never ever belittle, and that is making poor people an awful lot poorer.”
Wear a mask and stay away from crowds and indoor spaces whenever possible.....seems like we did what WHO stated above. Are we not more open?
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The problem is they are governing by looking at the extremes of the case. Not the likely outcome for the most people.
If you get this virus there is an outside chance you could have severe repercussions.
But that is true with many things we do in life: Playing h/s football, flying in a plane, driving to work, smoking a cigarette.
But there are precautions we can take to lessen all those risks. If you don't like the risks,, dont epose yourself. Things like being cautious, being educated and following prevention steps. People need to be free to decide if we want to take the risk.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm The problem is they are governing by looking at the extremes of the case. Not the likely outcome for the most people.
If you get this virus there is an outside chance you could have severe repercussions.
But that is true with many things we do in life: Playing h/s football, flying in a plane, driving to work, smoking a cigarette.
But there are precautions we can take to lessen all those risks. If you don't like the risks,, dont epose yourself. Things like being cautious, being educated and following prevention steps. People need to be free to decide if we want to take the risk.
Be sympathetic to our leaders, is what I say. And yep, it helps this view along when Governor's explain that they're between a rock and a hard place. Many Governors have, to their credit, done just that.

A cavalier attitude on other side is just gross, callous, and thoughtless. If you don't open enough, suicides will go up, as will domestic violence..and people will lose jobs, some freedom, etc.

If you open too much, thousands more will die.

These are not fun choices that our governors have to make, folks. It's be wise to understand this, no matter which path a given governor chooses.
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:16 pm The problem is they are governing by looking at the extremes of the case. Not the likely outcome for the most people.
Umm we didn’t know as much as we know now. I told folks late last Spring that we are not likely to send kids back home from colleges as we have learned to deal with it.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hopefully, someone's plan includes having some significantly good-working and available therapies and a working vaccine or 2. and soon.
the present-day trajectories of a lot of countries are looking... worse than spotty on case counts. tbd whether that's a reflection in europe of them getting the infection/protection/opening part partially right. too early, but again... looking worse than spotty.
latin america can only hope for the best.
africa, if even close to the truth... winning by miles.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:54 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:24 am Good point, just trying to bring to light a viewpoint that is not shared much on this site. I've have had it touch me on a personal level, know a few that have had it. Still think the restrictions are far too overreaching in NY, but I guess I'm in the minority here, which is fine.

1.Open more wide open. They tell you this choice will likely kill another 1,000 of the citizens you are responsible for....

2. Shut things down a little more. They tell you this choice will likely put another 1,000 people out of work, lead to mental health issues, suicide, domestic violence, etc.

Which one do you choose? Easy....number one. If, for the sole reason, that your numbers are way, way off. The ratio of "out of work" citizens vs dead citizens is the same. :o Also, Of those 1000 citizens, 990 have already lived their lives. (over the age of 65 ) It IS rare for others to die. Fact.

There isn't a right answer. Period. We need to stop acting like there is one. blaming a reality tv show guy IS the right answer, we can ALL agree on that. :roll:

One thing I DO know is that there's no excuse for not wearing a mask, staying away from others, and choosing outdoors versus indoors every chance you get. W.H.O. said NOT to wear a mask........

Oh, and Congress---both parties----should be ashamed they didn't provide more economic help that they OWE to citizens for FORCING us to shut down our businesses and other activities. You can't do one without the other. they did.....and do
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:50 pm hopefully, someone's plan includes having some significantly good-working and available therapies and a working vaccine or 2. and soon.
the present-day trajectories of a lot of countries are looking... worse than spotty on case counts. tbd whether that's a reflection in europe of them getting the infection/protection/opening part partially right. too early, but again... looking worse than spotty.
latin america can only hope for the best.
africa, if even close to the truth... winning by miles.
https://apple.news/Avl03tRTpRBO29kOWnDUacw
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 pm

Which one do you choose? Easy....number one. If, for the sole reason, that your numbers are way, way off. The ratio of "out of work" citizens vs dead citizens is the same. :o Also, Of those 1000 citizens, 990 have already lived their lives. (over the age of 65 ) It IS rare for others to die. Fact.

There isn't a right answer. Period. We need to stop acting like there is one. blaming a reality tv show guy IS the right answer, we can ALL agree on that. :roll:

One thing I DO know is that there's no excuse for not wearing a mask, staying away from others, and choosing outdoors versus indoors every chance you get. W.H.O. said NOT to wear a mask........

Oh, and Congress---both parties----should be ashamed they didn't provide more economic help that they OWE to citizens for FORCING us to shut down our businesses and other activities. You can't do one without the other. they did.....and do
There you go defending Trump out of the blue again.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:50 pm

I clearly said it was the right answer...the right thing to do. With Trump gone, we will all go back to normal. Unless, you do NOT agree with the Democratic stance.
njbill

Post by njbill »

We’ve hit the 220,000 mark.
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:08 pm

I clearly said it was the right answer...the right thing to do. With Trump gone, we will all go back to normal. Unless, you do NOT agree with the Democratic stance.
I have no idea what the “democratic” stance is. Trump didn’t shut down the economy did he? Trump shut down BC High? :roll:
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 pm We’ve hit the 220,000 mark.
Well over half the war dead for the US for WWII. Considering excess deaths, over 2/3.

In a half year...

US involvement in WWII was basically 4 1/2 years (Dec 1941 to summer 1945).
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:32 pm

I have no idea what the “democratic” stance is. Trump didn’t shut down the economy did he? Trump shut down BC High? :roll:
of course you don't :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:32 pm

of course you don't :lol:
Of course you do... :lol: :lol: We are going back to normal if Biden wins... :lol: :lol: that’s why you are voting for him!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”