Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JoeMauer89

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:29 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:51 pm Well, let's be clear that if herd immunity is reached (without a vaccine) at 50% (not the 60-70% experts suggest is necessary), if Redfield is correct then we have another 800k deaths in the US to go. Yeah, yeah, most of those deaths will be of people my age+ and our parents' age. But quite few younger as well.

So, wear a darn mask, buy some time for a vaccine to help get us all to the other side of this.

But who is saying Redfield is correct? He hasn't been the most accurate throughout this whole Pandemic. The organization that he is a leader of has shown a massive failure to communicate with the public and has been quite wrong more than once to date. Every time the organization makes a public statement, the have to clarify it a few days later because they either jump the gun, don't adapt to the real-time conditions on the ground or got stuck thinking like its still March-April. Masks are part of the many mitigation strategies we have, but no one should be shamed and scolded if they don't wear one. There have been plenty that have still contracted the virus while being ardent mask wearers. The phrase, just wear a mask and help us get through this is quite loaded because doing that and doing that alone provides false confidence into thinking that aspect alone will cause this pandemic to end. It's a communicable virus, wash your hands, wear a mask when you are in LARGE groups indoors and use your own discretion in very large groups outside. So many people wear the Masks wrong it is actually provided YOU and others NO protection. And we have taken measures to buy time for various treatments and vaccines. Stop acting like this is something that's easy, we have SHUT down large portions of the United States for 5-6-7 months and what's happening on the ground that many can see with their OWN eyes does not jive with what Fauci/WHO/CDC/etc have been saying. Again, it's not easy for most to stay quarantined in their homes most of their free time, just "waiting for a vaccine" This is an absolutely a serious virus, but you have NO CLUE how it is going to play out in the months to come.

JoeMauer89!
Staying away from people is far more effective than a mask but we can't do that so we wear a mask.
Correct, but we know if we choose to get together with a group of people (anybody's right) that the mask is not providing absolute total protection. That was my convoluted point. It is a calculated risk, and each and every one of us takes or decides not take it. Some are better at calculating risk than others :lol: :lol:

JoeMauer89!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:32 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:51 pm Well, let's be clear that if herd immunity is reached (without a vaccine) at 50% (not the 60-70% experts suggest is necessary), if Redfield is correct then we have another 800k deaths in the US to go. Yeah, yeah, most of those deaths will be of people my age+ and our parents' age. But quite few younger as well.

So, wear a darn mask, buy some time for a vaccine to help get us all to the other side of this.

But who is saying Redfield is correct? He hasn't been the most accurate throughout this whole Pandemic. The organization that he is a leader of has shown a massive failure to communicate with the public and has been quite wrong more than once to date. Every time the organization makes a public statement, the have to clarify it a few days later because they either jump the gun, don't adapt to the real-time conditions on the ground or got stuck thinking like its still March-April. Masks are part of the many mitigation strategies we have, but no one should be shamed and scolded if they don't wear one. There have been plenty that have still contracted the virus while being ardent mask wearers. The phrase, just wear a mask and help us get through this is quite loaded because doing that and doing that alone provides false confidence into thinking that aspect alone will cause this pandemic to end. It's a communicable virus, wash your hands, wear a mask when you are in LARGE groups indoors and use your own discretion in very large groups outside. So many people wear the Masks wrong it is actually provided YOU and others NO protection. And we have taken measures to buy time for various treatments and vaccines. Stop acting like this is something that's easy, we have SHUT down large portions of the United States for 5-6-7 months and what's happening on the ground that many can see with their OWN eyes does not jive with what Fauci/WHO/CDC/etc have been saying. Again, it's not easy for most to stay quarantined in their homes most of their free time, just "waiting for a vaccine" This is an absolutely a serious virus, but you have NO CLUE how it is going to play out in the months to come.

JoeMauer89!
Staying away from people is far more effective than a mask but we can't do that so we wear a mask.
Correct, but we know if we choose to get together with a group of people (anybody's right) that the mask is not providing absolute total protection. That was my convoluted point. It is a calculated risk, and each and every one of us takes or decides not take it. Some are better at calculating risk than others :lol: :lol:

JoeMauer89!
It is a virus against which human beings have no (or little) immunity. Keep your distance but if you can't and must be near other people, were a proper mask and keep moving.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
Redfield and the CDC have not always been correct, but they’ve been more correct than you.

Engage in social distancing.

Wash your hands.

Stay home.

Wear a damn mask.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Just wondering which programs have been able to hold fall practices somewhat regularly?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Navy and StonyBrook have put out pictures on social media
Typical Lax Dad

AreaLax wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:28 am Navy and StonyBrook have put out pictures on social media
Ohio State and UNC also. Maybe we get a shortened season. first game Feb. 21 or third Saturday. No midweek games and end earlier.
“I wish you would!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Would not be surprised by conference games and then maybe a few out of conference. The out conference may have travel restrictions.

So Maryland was scheduled to play 14 games last year. 5 would be conference and 9 out of conference. Upcoming season they maybe able to travel and back to 5 of those and not stay overnight
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:36 pm

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
It is a virus against which human beings have no (or little) immunity. Keep your distance but if you can't and must be near other people, were a proper mask and keep moving.
Joe, if your sole point was that there is no perfect protection, then we'd agree. Wearing a mask (even properly) does not perfectly protect you from being infected. But it definitely dramatically decreases the likelihood that you will infect others. Not perfectly, but dramatically better. And a properly worn quality mask will also decrease your own likelihood of being infected. So, do it, whenever and wherever coming into contact with others, most especially indoors or when close outdoors.

If EVERYONE would do so, diligently, then the R goes less than 1 and the virus dies way back, many, many thousands of lives saved.

Where we separate is your emphasis on one's own personal risk rather than one's contribution to the protection of others, one's responsibility to the community in which we live.

Your emphasis is supremely selfish, though I doubt that's your intent. But I suggest you re-think that aspect. I hope you come to a different conclusion on emphasis.

We need everyone on board with some modifications of behavior, expressly so that we can do many desired activities far more safely, and don't have to shut down hard.

And wearing a good mask properly truly isn't much to ask of us all.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:36 pm

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
Joe, if your sole point was that there is no perfect protection, then we'd agree. Wearing a mask (even properly) does not perfectly protect you from being infected. But it definitely dramatically decreases the likelihood that you will infect others. Not perfectly, but dramatically better. And a properly worn quality mask will also decrease your own likelihood of being infected. So, do it, whenever and wherever coming into contact with others, most especially indoors or when close outdoors.

If EVERYONE would do so, diligently, then the R goes less than 1 and the virus dies way back, many, many thousands of lives saved.

Where we separate is your emphasis on one's own personal risk rather than one's contribution to the protection of others, one's responsibility to the community in which we live.

Your emphasis is supremely selfish, though I doubt that's your intent. But I suggest you re-think that aspect. I hope you come to a different conclusion on emphasis.

We need everyone on board with some modifications of behavior, expressly so that we can do many desired activities far more safely, and don't have to shut down hard.

And wearing a good mask properly truly isn't much to ask of us all.
Wearing a mask helps with economic activity and preserves jobs.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

cam newton has tested positive and the game has been postponed.

the nfl has more resources than college lacrosse. if the new england patriots can't control this, it leaves little hope that the afc east will play or that we'll see college lacrosse in the spring.

- wgdsr
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

I played along with the mask thing for the first 6 months but now I’m done and I find more and more people sharing my sentiments. There is no end in sight and I refuse to accept this as the new normal.

I’ve heard the arguments on both sides and fall somewhere in the middle politically but at some point life needs to move on.

If your over 80 or obese - stay the hell inside but allow the healthy population to get back to life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:38 pm cam newton has tested positive and the game has been postponed.

the nfl has more resources than college lacrosse. if the new england patriots can't control this, it leaves little hope that the afc east will play or that we'll see college lacrosse in the spring.

- wgdsr
Trump is going to solve all this for us. He'll take the cocktail, be fine in a week or so, then be able to say..."if an old-fatass, out of shape orangeman can get cv19, take a vaccine, and be back to work in no time, so can the rest of us. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:52 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:38 pm cam newton has tested positive and the game has been postponed.

- wgdsr
Trump is going to solve all this for us. He'll take the cocktail, be fine in a week or so, then be able to say..."if an old-fatass, out of shape orangeman can get cv19, take a vaccine, and be back to work in no time, so can the rest of us. ;)
+1
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:44 am

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!
Redfield and the CDC have not always been correct, but they’ve been more correct than you.

Wash your hands.

Stay home.

Wear a damn mask.

Wear a mask, goggles, haz-mat suit, and portable bubble, if available. This is so ridiculous, if you're at a high risk for complications--and you know who you are--take the necessary precautions...otherwise, be smart, but this virus is anything but a death sentence for most folks!!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

veryoldgoose wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:46 am I see all the covid-deniers have gotten real quiet now that karma has caught up to the administration. Turns out lying to the country about mask wearing and social distancing might actually come back to haunt the orange mango in chief.
So, people in the administration have tested positive, how many are dying?? :roll:
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:44 am

JoeMauer89!

JoeMauer89!

Wash your hands.

Stay home.

Wear a damn mask.

Wear a mask, goggles, haz-mat suit, and portable bubble, if available. This is so ridiculous, if you're at a high risk for complications--and you know who you are--take the necessary precautions...otherwise, be smart, but this virus is anything but a death sentence for most folks!!
FMUBart,

Well said, my friend! It will probably fall on deaf ears sadly. They can't see past the massive wall the have put up in front of themselves :lol:

JoeMauer89!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:31 pmugh.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... rveys.html

Does this indicate the N.Y. has seen the widest dispersement of the virus?
forgot to circle back to this. by new york, they have a concentrated area of nyc in these surveys. san francisco and philly are listed, but also by the map look like they're actually more geographically dispersed.
the rest are even larger areas, either sections of a state or entire states.

so yes... based on this, and similar protocols for each, new york city has a higher prevalence vs other states/areas measured, standardized and adjusted. it's not a small thing to note they are not measuring virus prevalence, but antibodies measured by the tests that "indicate" virus dispersement.

if you look at the dashboards links, you can start to see just some of the things that should lead anyone to question their accuracy, even if you know next to nothing but basic common sense:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#national-lab
-- many states have numbers that rival and in some cases don't even reach positive tests recorded. in connecticut as another example, in august they have 3.3% for the state. but yet at their other link:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rveillance
-- they have it at 4.9% in late april-early may. did a 1/3 or more of the covid cases leave the state? and connecticut stop getting more infections? and this is published by the same source?

the short answer on this kind of testing, among a number of other issues.. is they can be used as a relative look at one area of the country vs. others. which was the crux of your question --- with the caveat of maybe a large city vs. state area, etc.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

GoBirds28

Post by GoBirds28 »

I’ve mentioned it before but a college teammate is an assistant coach at a well known d3. Saw him this weekend and when asked if he expected to be coaching this spring, his response was

“Lacrosse will be played but expect the ivy and Nescac to opt out which will cause the “wanna be academic elite (patriot and centennial) to do the same” it’s an optics game and those are schools that can afford it

When asked how it was at his institution on a day to day... He said the following “ I can go recruit and coach a club team on the weekend with no rules and regulations at all, the school does not provide testing for me I’m on my own but come Monday I’m not allow to get kids on the field to play catch, it’s the twilight zone”
Last edited by GoBirds28 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”