Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by seacoaster »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:51 am Every person that calls themselves a "progressive" will NOT watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq5VPuRo46o
The best part of that video is the respect they show for each other and the acknowledgement that the other side’s philosophies have validity and not the asinine attitude often shown around here that the opposite side of the political spectrum is out and out not only wrong, but evil.

I’ve said it at least half a dozen times here and on LP: I long for the days of Reagan and O’Neill.
Good clip, good dialogue, and as you say SCLaxAttack, we sure need more of it. Never heard of the show until now, because it is just not the media or medium from which I get my news. Thanks.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:29 pm What I also know is that all of these progs you keep excusing because they come up with analyses which suggest the deal should not be finalized is they are not honest brokers here; their analysis will always show a bad outcome.
I'm not excusing progressives. I don't give a *hit what they think about corporate tax breaks. Their thoughts and whims don't change how math works, Pete. Keep your eye on the ball.

You don't need an analysis, Pete. All you need to be able to do is add and subtract to know that you can't give on business tax breaks, and the other a full tab.

It's simple. Let me help. Let's keep it simple, and pretend a city has 1,000 workers in it.

One large business has 500 employees.

And 100 small businesses have 5 employees each. Get it? So a total of 1,000 workers.

What YOU are arguing is that we should give that large employers a tax break, while those 100 small business pay their sticker price, no deductions.

And the "reason" you give, is that you think that large businesses has employees that buy stuff, and that ancillary businesses serve that large business.

Yep. That's true. But what you forget is: so do the 100 small businesses that have 5 employees each. Do you give them a break?
F no. What you think we should do instead is------make the 100 small businesses with 5 employees each pay the taxes of the large company that's getting the fat break. Do you not understand that this is insane?

And you're telling me that "you need to see the math". For what? So you can tell me that the one large business with 500 employees has other economic impacts in the city they are in?

Yeah, great. Here's the problem with that, so pay attention: the 100 small businesses with 5 employees each ALSO have economic impacts in the city that they live in. So tell me: why don't they get this tax break of yours?

You don't have an answer, because there isn't one. This is IDIOTIC tax policy, and you now know it. And Dems play this game just as much as the R's do.

So what happens, of course, is that because the large business doesn't pay their share, two things happen.

One, services are cut, because the State and City isn't getting the money that they expect because "whoops they forgot" that hundreds of corporations in their State get these deals, so they're not getting the tax revenue that they used to get before these deals.

And two, every other business and citizen gets tax hike to make up for that lost revenue. And because guys like you don't want to hear that the entire reason your taxes keep going up are these sweetheart deals your handing out to shops like Amazon? You think government sucks, and is inefficient because your taxes keep going up, while at the same time your services are being cut.

So our entire economy, infrastructure, and way of life is circling the drain because of this idiocy.

Rinse. Repeat.

Wake up, my man.

You're welcome. ;)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:51 am Every person that calls themselves a "progressive" will NOT watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq5VPuRo46o
and you would be wrong
That is why I gave you the number 2. Should I change it to a 1??
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The Left runs around constantly demanding that conservatives “denounce” everything, while they denounce absolutely nothing and actively support and defend the most hideous evils imaginable.

Stop playing their game. You aren’t a dog. Don’t bark on command for these frauds.

(Matt Walsh)
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm The Left runs around constantly demanding that conservatives “denounce” everything
:lol: :lol: :lol: You and several other right-leaning posters have been whining about Biden and how he hasn't "denounced the violence" in Portland etc. for MONTHS.

FFS, man, spend some time with your life coach, and heal thyself, Doctor..... :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:44 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm The Left runs around constantly demanding that conservatives “denounce” everything
:lol: :lol: :lol: You and several other right-leaning posters have been whining about Biden and how he hasn't "denounced the violence" in Portland etc. for MONTHS.

FFS, man, spend some time with your life coach, and heal thyself, Doctor..... :lol:

Didn’t realize it was hard to denounce acts of violence.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 am

And Biden has - but he has not condemned the people you want him to (as some of the violence was caused by provocateurs). You must not be listening, or only listening to the biased Fox and OANN commentators.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 am

And Biden has - but he has not condemned the people you want him to (as some of the violence was caused by provocateurs). You must not be listening, or only listening to the biased Fox and OANN commentators.

Listening with my eyes...

Did anyone catch Frank Fuglizzi, MSNBC dweeb, mention to Nicole Wallace yesterday that 'we' need to vet candidates before the people can vote for them... Nicole didn't bat an eyelash. The media and libs are the very antithesis of freedom and democracy, folks, if you hadn't noticed.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The Coinbase CEO blogpost which affirmed that the company would refrain from social activism is music to my ears. It’s music to any sane human being.

Anyway, you ought to read it! Libs will be hacked off that a CEO has the stones to stand up to the liberal mob. Normal people are cheering the guy:

https://blog.coinbase.com/coinbase-is-a ... f882df8804

Because the weak woke young generation can’t handle normalcy, he offered them a buyout if their feelz were too sad to hang on. 5% of the workforce left. Lol. That’s probably the percentage in any company like this who are outspoken lefties. Sayonara! 😂

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsand ... political/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

You do love yourself some get rich quick shady scams don't you. Coinbase :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 am

Listening with my eyes...

Did anyone catch Frank Fuglizzi, MSNBC dweeb, mention to Nicole Wallace yesterday that 'we' need to vet candidates before the people can vote for them... Nicole didn't bat an eyelash. The media and libs are the very antithesis of freedom and democracy, folks, if you hadn't noticed.
Very POLITBORO of the left don't you think.

A select group of us will pre-pick who you can vote for. And our MSM microphone will guarantee you vote for the people in that group WE WANT elected.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Shhh.... hello?! It’s already happening with the DNC!

:lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:48 am Shhh.... hello?! It’s already happening with the DNC!

:lol:

I didn’t think about that but you’re right. These folks don’t believe in democracy.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

In other words, Democrats are arrogant arzzes!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/opin ... udice.html

“It is important to remember that most Americans — nearly two-thirds — do not have a four-year college degree. By telling workers that their inadequate education is the reason for their troubles, meritocrats moralize success and failure and unwittingly promote credentialism — an insidious prejudice against those who do not have college degrees.”

You know what percent of Fanlax Dems are exactly like the above?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 am In other words, Democrats are arrogant arzzes!

“It is important to remember that most Americans — nearly two-thirds — do not have a four-year college degree. By telling workers that their inadequate education is the reason for their troubles, meritocrats moralize success and failure and unwittingly promote credentialism — an insidious prejudice against those who do not have college degrees.”

It is like the scene in "Back to School" where the uppity British professor, speaking as if he knows it all and only what he learned in a book, is tuned out from the class, then Rodney keeps it real from boots on the ground experience as all the students start taking notes.
:lol: :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:41 am In other words, Democrats are arrogant arzzes!

It is like the scene in "Back to School" where the uppity British professor, speaking as if he knows it all and only what he learned in a book, is tuned out from the class, then Rodney keeps it real from boots on the ground experience as all the students start taking notes.

I enjoyed that link from the NYT. One of the recent ads I come across was for tee shirts with witty sayings. My favorite was one that said... I'm an engineer, let's save time and assume from the start that I'm never wrong. It made me think with fondness of at least a couple of my fellow fan lax contributors. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:39 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 am

I enjoyed that link from the NYT. One of the recent ads I come across was for tee shirts with witty sayings. My favorite was one that said... I'm an engineer, let's save time and assume from the start that I'm never wrong. It made me think with fondness of at least a couple of my fellow fan lax contributors. :D

Great video! +1

Why do I get the impression that a number of not-to-be-named posters here don’t get the humor in it?!? :lol: :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hmmm, I don't think there's more than maybe two posters on here without a 4 year college degree, and the one I'm sure of is certainly treated respectfully, his views valued as anyone else's. And he brings some special perspectives to the table (not because of less education, though).

By contrast, there are a couple of right wing trolls on here who definitely have 4 year degrees, or certainly claim such, and they treat no one respectfully with whom they disagree.

When we talk about the political science aspects of how voters have congregated at various points in time, we do delve into the differences in education level, race, gender, age, geography as large buckets to explore differences in the electorate, and why certain politicians and messages resonate. There are much more sophisticated psycho-sociological cuts that the political science folks go into, but rarely does that get explored in the general public. The general public just isn't that interested beyond the large cuts.

Every once in a while a politician speaks offhandedly in reference to these segments and makes generalizations about them that are insulting. Big political error. Same for various activists.

This goes both directions, ala the disdain some feel say for Ivy League educated folks, and vice versa by highly educated folks for those who don't have such training. Two different types of arrogance and prejudice.

However, our system over the past 50 years has dramatically disproportionately rewarded education, on the basis that those with such educations have expertise that it is relatively rare and valuable. The more 'elite' the more the rarity and presumed value.

To some extent, there's some rationale to this, that we want doctors to actually have been trained, not have some barber doing brain surgery. And we want that training to be reliably great, not just hopefully so...so we look to credentials as one way to have trust.

However, it's also fair to say that education alone is insufficient, and should certainly not be the dominant way we value fellow members of our society.

And maybe just as importantly, the differences in access to 'elite' education is so driven by family socio-economics that such weighting of 'value' creates an unfair differential in economic opportunity from the get go.

Complicated stuff...and very funny movie.

Sandel's work is provocative and a serious intellectual challenge to those who have thought themselves unprejudiced and fair, yet themselves are complicit in a systemic issue that has widened societal divisions. Yup, he's a Harvard Professor...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:02 pm hmmm, I don't think there's more than maybe two posters on here without a 4 year college degree, and the one I'm sure of is certainly treated respectfully, his views valued as anyone else's. And he brings some special perspectives to the table (not because of less education, though).

By contrast, there are a couple of right wing trolls on here who definitely have 4 year degrees, or certainly claim such, and they treat no one respectfully with whom they disagree.

When we talk about the political science aspects of how voters have congregated at various points in time, we do delve into the differences in education level, race, gender, age, geography as large buckets to explore differences in the electorate, and why certain politicians and messages resonate. There are much more sophisticated psycho-sociological cuts that the political science folks go into, but rarely does that get explored in the general public. The general public just isn't that interested beyond the large cuts.

Every once in a while a politician speaks offhandedly in reference to these segments and makes generalizations about them that are insulting. Big political error. Same for various activists.

This goes both directions, ala the disdain some feel say for Ivy League educated folks, and vice versa by highly educated folks for those who don't have such training. Two different types of arrogance and prejudice.

However, our system over the past 50 years has dramatically disproportionately rewarded education, on the basis that those with such educations have expertise that it is relatively rare and valuable. The more 'elite' the more the rarity and presumed value.

To some extent, there's some rationale to this, that we want doctors to actually have been trained, not have some barber doing brain surgery. And we want that training to be reliably great, not just hopefully so...so we look to credentials as one way to have trust.

However, it's also fair to say that education alone is insufficient, and should certainly not be the dominant way we value fellow members of our society.

And maybe just as importantly, the differences in access to 'elite' education is so driven by family socio-economics that such weighting of 'value' creates an unfair differential in economic opportunity from the get go.

Complicated stuff...and very funny movie.

Sandel's work is provocative and a serious intellectual challenge to those who have thought themselves unprejudiced and fair, yet themselves are complicit in a systemic issue that has widened societal divisions. Yup, he's a Harvard Professor...
I don't know if I am one of the few MD. I will tell you my sister lambasted me vigorously for not going to college. We had more than a few arguments about it. When I joined the army she and I really went at it. All these years later I regret not going to college. My college diploma was awarded to me that day after my fifth parachute jump and they pinned those silver wings on my chest. I worked my ass off to get them and watched alot of other people quit when they could not deal with the stress. We all have to find our own path in life.in my case the thought of sitting in a classroom for 4 more years would have drove me nuts. I consider myself lucky to have people I consider my friends on this forum. They give me the college education I never had. When I learned to play guitar many years ago I learned something I never forgot. When you play with someone much better than you it forces you to become better yourself.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”