Inside Lacrosse Faceoff Yearbook 2019 Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
calourie

Re: Inside Lacrosse Faceoff Yearbook 2019 Rankings

Post by calourie »

Big Yale and Shay booster here which probably comes as no surprise to those who have followed the threads here and at the old Lax-power site at all closely. My two cents is that this will be a pivotal year for the Bulldogs in terms of determining the true strength and durability of their program. They have enough returning talented and tourney seasoned players, along with the addition of last year's co-dominant FOGO as well as some highly regarded newcomers that leaves me comfortable in touting them as a likely NCAA tourney participant who should match up competitively with any team they face. Should they fall short of that objective the discussion will deservedly turn to an evaluation of whether last season was more of a one year, Ben Reeves enabled anomaly than an indicator that the program has gained enough momentum that it will put Yale in the yearly discussion as a national power more often than not over the next few years. We are only a month and one half away from six straight games against Villanova, Penn State, UMass, Michigan, Cornell and Princeton, the results of which are likely to provide a reasonable, early season sense as to which direction the program is headed. As far as I'm concerned, this party can't start soon enough.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Henpecked wrote:...
Will you really be "surprised" to see Yale make the playoffs? Or are you just being funny. Granted they have lost their top gun, but they have the best FOGO, best attack and arguably the best defensive unit in D1 led by Chris Fake. They also have an awesome midfield unit. What else do you need to see?
Yes, Yale brings back Fake, and goalie Starr who looked terrific against Loyola, Duke and Team USA. Yet, the Elis graduated the other two starting long poles; for me, there would be one clear replacement (Hynes) who has had knee problems and didn't play against Team USA. Also gone to graduation is All American SSDM Warner. I guess IL has also rated Yale's 2019 D highly.... as a Yale fan, I hope that pre-season laurels prove accurate, but....
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Henpecked wrote:RunRussellRun,

Will you really be "surprised" to see Yale make the playoffs? Or are you just being funny. Granted they have lost their top gun, but they have the best FOGO, best attack and arguably the best defensive unit in D1 led by Chris Fake. They also have an awesome midfield unit. What else do you need to see?

While nobody is a sure bet, I would be surprised if they lost more than 3 games before the NCAAs. My $.02
This comes with winning, but what makes you think Yale has the best attack or best midfield? Not sure they have the number 1 unit in either of those categories in their league. It's debatable. However, Ierlan will pay huge dividends. I expect Yale to make the playoffs but stranger things have happened.
I didn’t say that Yale had the best midfield. But I do think they are pretty awesome. They have Jack Tigh with 35g 14a and Joey Sessa had 20g 9a returning along with John Daniggilis and Lucas Cotler who both scored a bunch last year as two-way middies. On attack, name another team with TWO 40+ goal scorers returning. Jackson Morrill with 40g and 32a teamed with Matt Gaudet 41g sniping in the crease make up a formidable duo. Brendan Rooney with 19 goals should improve with more opportunity as well.

BTW I have no interest in Yale whatsoever. I’d rather see Cornell win the Ivy League. And I think you could argue that the Clarke Petterson Jeff Teat combo is better than Yale’s unit. If you’ve read the many expert opinions most agree that Yale has top units across the board. But nothing is guaranteed. I was just offering my opinion about Yale’s chances for making the tournament. I just can’t believe that anyone would be genuinely “surprised” to see Yale make the tourney.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Henpecked wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
Henpecked wrote:RunRussellRun,

While nobody is a sure bet, I would be surprised if they lost more than 3 games before the NCAAs. My $.02
This comes with winning, but what makes you think Yale has the best attack or best midfield? Not sure they have the number 1 unit in either of those categories in their league. It's debatable. However, Ierlan will pay huge dividends. I expect Yale to make the playoffs but stranger things have happened.
I didn’t say that Yale had the best midfield. But I do think they are pretty awesome. They have Jack Tigh with 35g 14a and Joey Sessa had 20g 9a returning along with John Daniggilis and Lucas Cotler who both scored a bunch last year as two-way middies. On attack, name another team with TWO 40+ goal scorers returning. Jackson Morrill with 40g and 32a teamed with Matt Gaudet 41g sniping in the crease make up a formidable duo. Brendan Rooney with 19 goals should improve with more opportunity as well.

BTW I have no interest in Yale whatsoever. I’d rather see Cornell win the Ivy League. And I think you could argue that the Clarke Petterson Jeff Teat combo is better than Yale’s unit. If you’ve read the many expert opinions most agree that Yale has top units across the board. But nothing is guaranteed. I was just offering my opinion about Yale’s chances for making the tournament. I just can’t believe that anyone would be genuinely “surprised” to see Yale make the tourney.
Just providing counter point. For some reason I thought you listed their midfield was listed as #1. Very good team, though. This could be the year where Cotler makes a jump. Coming in, I thought he was the best midfield recruit they had had in years but its what you do once you get there. Brendan Mackie may be back too. He has not had it easy with injuries. Cornell had some losses but returns quite a bit. Top scoring midfield unit in the league last year but they do lose Dowiak as a stretch shooter. Yale will see different schemes this year with Ben moving on. He is one of those guys that makes players better, sort of like Teat and Sowers. Having the ball as much as they did is a big help and they will have it again. Yale is closer to the pack this year than they were last year and was knocked off by Cornell in the league. Just adding some debate fodder. I would be surprised if Yale or Cornell missed post season play but would not be shocked as the league is odd. An upset in the ILT can leave someone on the outside looking in......
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Tevlin is another good Yale midfielder. Not sure if he put up great numbers last year as a freshman, but scored some big goals (i.e., against Duke) and is silky smooth; Forst is another good middie. I think Yale has midfield depth... BUT, it is very difficult to repeat as D1 national champions. Without Reeves, Warner and Keating, I can imagine Yale getting off to a sluggish start... although if Starr plays up to his potential in goal, the Elis would have a strong FOGO/goalie backbone. I guess it's easiest for the pre-season rankings to put last year's champs as #1. I definitely agree with those who say Michigan should have been somewhere in the top 20. Cornell at #4 makes sense to me; the Ivy could very strong this year. Next month.... next month!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The question of whether or not Yale is a "playoff team" seems a bit silly to me. They are clearly still a playoff caliber team and I'd be shocked if they don't make the NCAA tournament. I don't think they repeat as champs and getting back to the Final Four without Reeves will be a tall task but they still have one of the most talented rosters in the country. If they can get out of their tough early season stretch at 4-2 or even 3-3, which isn't a huge ask, then I could easily see them running the table with their cupcake second half schedule: Air Force, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, Albany, Quinnipiac, Harvard. They really should go 7-0 or 6-1 over that stretch. It's hard to see them losing more than 4 games this year which should put them comfortably in as an at-large even if they lose the Ivy tournament to Cornell or Princeton. If I'm betting on the likelihood of teams to make the NCAA tournament today, I'd probably go with Maryland first and Yale second. Duke and Loyola in a tier close behind them. And then a tier with Cornell, Hopkins, Notre Dame, Denver. (Note that these aren't my "rankings" but rather who has a good shot at ultimately making the playoffs.)

Yale's returning attack is very good, but I wouldn't be very surprised if Gaudet's numbers drop without Reeves feeding him. I think Reeves' production is more likely to be picked up by the midfield than the attack. Morrill is an excellent player (still wish we could have had him at Homewood) but he may be hard pressed to top last year's 72 pts now that he'll be the focus of defenses and have teams' #1 defender on him.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote:Tevlin is another good Yale midfielder. Not sure if he put up great numbers last year as a freshman, but scored some big goals (i.e., against Duke) and is silky smooth; Forst is another good middie. I think Yale has midfield depth... BUT, it is very difficult to repeat as D1 national champions. Without Reeves, Warner and Keating, I can imagine Yale getting off to a sluggish start... although if Starr plays up to his potential in goal, the Elis would have a strong FOGO/goalie backbone. I guess it's easiest for the pre-season rankings to put last year's champs as #1. I definitely agree with those who say Michigan should have been somewhere in the top 20. Cornell at #4 makes sense to me; the Ivy could very strong this year. Next month.... next month!
Yes. Ierlan is a godsend. The freshman has a good reputation coming in but you never know how guys will do once they get to college. Mackie developed more than any other FOGO I have seen from high school to college. If Starr plays above average, Yale will be well on its way. You just don't know from year to year. Who was the last repeat champion? Alessi made timely plays also. Tevlin may be the break through guy this year. Yale always has a middie that comes on. Cotler could have a big year.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote:The question of whether or not Yale is a "playoff team" seems a bit silly to me. They are clearly still a playoff caliber team and I'd be shocked if they don't make the NCAA tournament. I don't think they repeat as champs and getting back to the Final Four without Reeves will be a tall task but they still have one of the most talented rosters in the country. If they can get out of their tough early season stretch at 4-2 or even 3-3, which isn't a huge ask, then I could easily see them running the table with their cupcake second half schedule: Air Force, Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, Albany, Quinnipiac, Harvard. They really should go 7-0 or 6-1 over that stretch. It's hard to see them losing more than 4 games this year which should put them comfortably in as an at-large even if they lose the Ivy tournament to Cornell or Princeton. If I'm betting on the likelihood of teams to make the NCAA tournament today, I'd probably go with Maryland first and Yale second. Duke and Loyola in a tier close behind them. And then a tier with Cornell, Hopkins, Notre Dame, Denver. (Note that these aren't my "rankings" but rather who has a good shot at ultimately making the playoffs.)

Yale's returning attack is very good, but I wouldn't be very surprised if Gaudet's numbers drop without Reeves feeding him. I think Reeves' production is more likely to be picked up by the midfield than the attack. Morrill is an excellent player (still wish we could have had him at Homewood) but he may be hard pressed to top last year's 72 pts now that he'll be the focus of defenses and have teams' #1 defender on him.
Thought you were just joking with calling this a "cupcake" schedule. But followed it up with "really should...." comment.

Anyways, regardless.....do you even follow Div. I mens lacrosse? Besides a few colleges, 'cup cakes DON'T exist. Just ask coach Shay.....one of the losses that CHAMPION Yale had was to Bucknell. B/c the Patriot League is usually a ONE team league invite....and Bucknell lost to BU in the league playoffs.....the Bisons were NOT invited to the N$aa's. Big East having three invites didn't help either. And, of course, the Commandment, "thou shall always invite the entire ACC, whenever possible. " got Virgnia a bid.

To sum up, Yale didn't dominate, which is a good thing, last year. Except against Brown Not why I think they might not even make the playoffs.....but, someone posted the FACT that N$aa will invite champ back, if possible. How did it work out for that UNC team with a lousy record, in the first round? (the score at halftime, was what, 0-13, UNC losing, BUT UNC could have won the game against Albany. Just more anti-cupcake fodder )

Cupcakes don't exist. Period. (except, maybe, VMI, Wagner, NJIT.... and other teams that Hopkins schedules :D )
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:... Who was the last repeat champion?
Duke, 2013 and '14; before that Cuse 2008 and '09...
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I am a huge fan of what Yale accomplished last year, but I think a brake tap is in order here. Please remember that basically the same team that won in ‘18 went 10-6 the prior year. That included losses to Harvard, Bryant, Albany and UMass. It took that team two OTs to beat Fairfield at home and four OTs to beat Penn in the ILT. They had Reeves in ‘17 & ‘18 but won’t have him this year. Yes, goalie play is better than in 2017, but let’s be realistic about the steep hill they need to climb.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Henpecked wrote: I didn’t say that Yale had the best midfield. But I do think they are pretty awesome. They have Jack Tigh with 35g 14a and Joey Sessa had 20g 9a returning along with John Daniggilis and Lucas Cotler who both scored a bunch last year as two-way middies. On attack, name another team with TWO 40+ goal scorers returning. Jackson Morrill with 40g and 32a teamed with Matt Gaudet 41g sniping in the crease make up a formidable duo. Brendan Rooney with 19 goals should improve with more opportunity as well.
It should be remembered that when a team makes the NCAA championship game, along with playing in their league championship game, that the number of games that that team plays gets high and thus "total" statistics get higher
Yale played 20 games last year. Morrill played in all 20, while Gaudet played in 19 and started in 15.
Morrill scored 40 goals in 20 games.
40 goals in 20 games is an average of 2 per game.

The Terps came up just short of having 2 returnees with 2 gpg averages:
Bernhardt 40 goals in 18 games
Wishnauskus 35 goals in 18 games.

Virginia played 18 games.
Kraus 44 games (playing in 17 games)
Laviano 37 goals

Hopkins (who IL picks as having the top attack) played 17 games
Marr 41 goals
Williams 35 goals
Live Free or Die!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Can Opener wrote:I am a huge fan of what Yale accomplished last year, but I think a brake tap is in order here. Please remember that basically the same team that won in ‘18 went 10-6 the prior year. That included losses to Harvard, Bryant, Albany and UMass. It took that team two OTs to beat Fairfield at home and four OTs to beat Penn in the ILT. They had Reeves in ‘17 & ‘18 but won’t have him this year. Yes, goalie play is better than in 2017, but let’s be realistic about the steep hill they need to climb.
Yes, a very steep hill to climb indeed, whatever the US Lax mag and IL pre-season polls say... but in addition to the 2018 freshman goalie, there was freshman Dman Chris Fake and senior Dman Christopher Keating, the latter having not played at all in 2017 (having been 3rd Team AA in 2016), making the 2018 back line very different from in 2017. Class of 2017 middie Eric Scott was 2nd Team AA. One big difference between 2017 and 2018 was the efficacy of man-up situations: in 2017 Yale was (if I remember correctly) 17%, a figure that improved significantly in 2018 thanks in part to the emergence of Brendan Rooney, a senior this year who saw very limited playing time in 2017. There can be some fine margins between winning and losing, and that 2017 team lost some close games because of lousy man-up conversion.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote:
Thought you were just joking with calling this a "cupcake" schedule. But followed it up with "really should...." comment.

Anyways, regardless.....do you even follow Div. I mens lacrosse? Besides a few colleges, 'cup cakes DON'T exist. Just ask coach Shay.....one of the losses that CHAMPION Yale had was to Bucknell. B/c the Patriot League is usually a ONE team league invite....and Bucknell lost to BU in the league playoffs.....the Bisons were NOT invited to the N$aa's. Big East having three invites didn't help either. And, of course, the Commandment, "thou shall always invite the entire ACC, whenever possible. " got Virgnia a bid.

To sum up, Yale didn't dominate, which is a good thing, last year. Except against Brown Not why I think they might not even make the playoffs.....but, someone posted the FACT that N$aa will invite champ back, if possible. How did it work out for that UNC team with a lousy record, in the first round? (the score at halftime, was what, 0-13, UNC losing, BUT UNC could have won the game against Albany. Just more anti-cupcake fodder )

Cupcakes don't exist. Period. (except, maybe, VMI, Wagner, NJIT.... and other teams that Hopkins schedules :D )

Hopkins has never played any of those teams. Over the last five years, the Blue Jays strength of schedule has been: #3, #2, #1, #4, #5. What are you talking about. (Yale's SOS over that same period has been #6, #18, #26, #25, #23.)

The combined record last year of those teams I mentioned, INCLUDING Albany, was 52-53. Take out Albany, who's most likely not going to be as good in 2019, and it's 36-50. So, yeah, they better win the majority of those games. That is not a difficult stretch of games, sorry.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:... Who was the last repeat champion?
Duke, 2013 and '14; before that Cuse 2008 and '09...
I was thinking Duke. Repeating isn't easy in any sport. Yale can have a great year without a repeat title. Hope all the boys stay healthy and do well on most Saturdays. :D
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Another strong returning tandem of “almost” 40 goals each for the Hoyas-

Carraway 44 goals in 17 games
Bucaro 34 goals in only 12 games (season ending injury)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:

Hopkins has never played any of those teams. Over the last five years, the Blue Jays strength of schedule has been: #3, #2, #1, #4, #5. What are you talking about. (Yale's SOS over that same period has been #6, #18, #26, #25, #23.)

The combined record last year of those teams I mentioned, INCLUDING Albany, was 52-53. Take out Albany, who's most likely not going to be as good in 2019, and it's 36-50. So, yeah, they better win the majority of those games. That is not a difficult stretch of games, sorry.
Was it that so long ago that Hopkins scheduled Sienna, Manhattan, UMBC and Michigan ? Mt. St. Mary's is back in the loop though. Michigan is better ?

But, my point is simple. You think Air Force is a cupcake? Based on last years "roving suspension" type season? Beat Duke two years in a row (16 & 17 ) Penn is a cupcake? Umm....OK. Brown lost NO ONE to graduation and you really think the non lacrosse playing , yet NCAA winning coach....won't be better this year? (Browns system of GO is his, after all. ) Harvard will continue to get in$wag lacro$$e top picks.....and flounder. So, which is it? IL knows how to pickem, or the laxbro's get weak legged b/c of all the sunning beauties on the banks of the Charles, come the first 60 degree day?

Hopkins won't schedule Bucknell......to long of a bus ride I guess.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:

Was it that so long ago that Hopkins scheduled Sienna, Manhattan, UMBC and Michigan ? Mt. St. Mary's is back in the loop though. Michigan is better ?

But, my point is simple. You think Air Force is a cupcake? Based on last years "roving suspension" type season? Beat Duke two years in a row (16 & 17 ) Penn is a cupcake? Umm....OK. Brown lost NO ONE to graduation and you really think the non lacrosse playing , yet NCAA winning coach....won't be better this year? (Browns system of GO is his, after all. ) Harvard will continue to get in$wag lacro$$e top picks.....and flounder. So, which is it? IL knows how to pickem, or the laxbro's get weak legged b/c of all the sunning beauties on the banks of the Charles, come the first 60 degree day?

Gural and Kelly played for him? Brown will be good this year. Good returning players and staff upgraded.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:

Tell Bucknell to put two winning seasons together in a row and maybe Hopkins would play them. The bus rides to Syracuse, Virginia, and North Carolina don't seem to be an issue.

Jays haven't played Siena or Manhattan since 2013. Mount St. Mary's replaced UMBC on this year's schedule. Definitely a cupcake game the Jays need to win. But that's about the only one you'll find.

And yes Michigan is better than those teams.

I still have no idea what you're actually trying to say. Hopkins doesn't play a good schedule? Please tell me that's not what you're actually insinuating.

None of this changes the fact that the second half of Yale's schedule is easy. They'll be favored in every single one of those games. Not exactly farfetched to suggest they should go 6-1.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Hey, why doesn't Hopkins make the trip up to New Haven? What's holding 'em up?

Every year it's the same thing, Hopkins, Hopkins, Hopkins. And every year the "perennial powerhouse" disappoints. The only reason Hopkins gets played up endlessly is because that's where US Lacrosse resides and you got to sell those subscriptions or a couple of those dreadful commentators are out of jobs.

Nothing worse than having to listen to those clowns discuss Quint's clothing or some other insane drivel when everyone wants to watch the game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

seriously? wrote:Hey, why doesn't Hopkins make the trip up to New Haven? What's holding 'em up?

Every year it's the same thing, Hopkins, Hopkins, Hopkins. And every year the "perennial powerhouse" disappoints. The only reason Hopkins gets played up endlessly is because that's where US Lacrosse resides and you got to sell those subscriptions or a couple of those dreadful commentators are out of jobs.

Nothing worse than having to listen to those clowns discuss Quint's clothing or some other insane drivel when everyone wants to watch the game.
Amazing post. Truly. Both relevant and enlightening. Bravo!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”