Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Re: Dartmouth 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:22 pm That a shot at Hobart? ;)
haha :D
not intended.

He simply made the most of his opportunity, much more so than perhaps some who may take their opportunities more for granted.

I also liked the way Yale made room for his lab work, something I'd hope we'd do as well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kidding of course, thought we were going to have Cory George and that he’d be a good one a few years back but DC won that battle. Didn’t really pan out in Hanover though for whatever reason. He wasn’t on the roster by his Sr year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 pm If I recall the story correctly, Reeves was only an adequate, relatively unmotivated student going into his junior year, but caught fire with the opportunity to go to Yale. Great story, exactly what we would hope.
Ben Reeves wasn’t a summer showcase player but the Yale coaches liked him. He was under recruited and outside of Hobart, didn’t have a lot of attention. Partly because of the silly early recruiting. I had not heard that he’s wasn’t a strong student. Yale always has some STEM guys on the team. Ty Warner had a ball breaking major too. Dylan Levings may have been a chemical engineer. Gaudet was a science guy also.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 pm If I recall the story correctly, Reeves was only an adequate, relatively unmotivated student going into his junior year, but caught fire with the opportunity to go to Yale. Great story, exactly what we would hope.
Ben Reeves wasn’t a summer showcase player but the Yale coaches liked him. He was under recruited and outside of Hobart, didn’t have a lot of attention. Partly because of the silly early recruiting. I had not heard that he’s wasn’t a strong student. Yale always has some STEM guys on the team. Ty Warner had a ball breaking major too. Dylan Levings may have been a chemical engineer. Gaudet was a science guy also.
This isn't the article I was thinking of when Ben described himself as less motivated as a student in early HS, but it's a great article:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ben-reeves

This might be the one:https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lete/48393

The opportunity changed everything for Reeves. He went full force into academics to take advantage of it.

“I didn’t know if I would get in, because I wasn’t nearly as good a high school student as I am a college student,” Reeves says. “Once I got into Yale, I realized this is an incredible opportunity. That propelled me to where I am now.”

His father noticed the change. Says Bob Reeves: “In high school he was a classic high school kid. He did more than enough, got pretty good grades. But once this phone call came from coach Shay, it changed his whole demeanor. He became so driven not just being an athlete, but a driven academic guy too. He just became this uber-student.”

“I think I did everything but drop the phone,” Hill says of when Shay called. “Once he found that Yale was interested, he thought he had to prove himself academically. He set a goal – this is what I’m going to do, and he did it. It’s what you see on the lacrosse field as well. I’ve never seen him miss a day of wallball — he was so disciplined. We’d get ready for first practice. You’d hear the ball smashing the wall before. He’s translated that into the classroom.”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm
This isn't the article I was thinking of when Ben described himself as less motivated as a student in early HS, but it's a great article:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ben-reeves

This might be the one:https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lete/48393

The opportunity changed everything for Reeves. He went full force into academics to take advantage of it.

“I didn’t know if I would get in, because I wasn’t nearly as good a high school student as I am a college student,” Reeves says. “Once I got into Yale, I realized this is an incredible opportunity. That propelled me to where I am now.”

His father noticed the change. Says Bob Reeves: “In high school he was a classic high school kid. He did more than enough, got pretty good grades. But once this phone call came from coach Shay, it changed his whole demeanor. He became so driven not just being an athlete, but a driven academic guy too. He just became this uber-student.”

“I think I did everything but drop the phone,” Hill says of when Shay called. “Once he found that Yale was interested, he thought he had to prove himself academically. He set a goal – this is what I’m going to do, and he did it. It’s what you see on the lacrosse field as well. I’ve never seen him miss a day of wallball — he was so disciplined. We’d get ready for first practice. You’d hear the ball smashing the wall before. He’s translated that into the classroom.”
No problem. I remember when during the fall of his freshman year the assistant coach telling me he was the best player on the team but didn’t know it. They loved him. He just didn’t play well in summer showcase settings. Not enough flash and not a lot of hero ball.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Think he was still a A student in HS, granted it’s a very small school, type of place that the Valedictorian might go to SUNY Bighamton or U of Roch (good schools but different level obviously).

But while I opened this door let’s move on please, the what if on him give me gout. Would’ve been teammates with Jack Wilson and Alex Love at least one year too...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Holden Deck
Dartmouth
Verified
Class of 2021 - Midfield
Holden Deck committed to Dartmouth
Verified 07/15/2020
Great pickup.
I’ve been tracking Deck for a while.
I thought he was bound for one of the Patriot
League teams was my bet, his brother is a
Lafayette commit.
But then Deck reclassified to 2021, and really started
getting notices recently.
Top pick up !
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:11 pm
Holden Deck
Dartmouth
Verified
Class of 2021 - Midfield
Holden Deck committed to Dartmouth
Verified 07/15/2020
Great pickup.
I’ve been tracking Deck for a while.
I thought he was bound for one of the Patriot
League teams was my bet, his brother is a
Lafayette commit.
But then Deck reclassified to 2021, and really started
getting notices recently.
Top pick up !
Great! 👏
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Lacrosse Bucket on the outlook for the Big Green: https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/08/28/w ... -building/.
Finish Strong
Landon Lacrosse Fan

Post by Landon Lacrosse Fan »

Zak Oehlerking (Landon / MADLAX) committed to Dartmouth earlier in the month. His film is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwS3eh3jNMo
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Big Green Fans,

I know that there isn't much lacrosse to speak of, but a friend of mine alerted to an Instagram account of postings by the Dartmouth Library (conveniently called "Dartmouth Library"). There are some really interesting postings of Dartmouth's past as well as treasures from the archives. Highly recommended for history buffs, or loyal alums.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Landon Lacrosse Fan wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:59 pm Zak Oehlerking (Landon / MADLAX) committed to Dartmouth earlier in the month. His film is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwS3eh3jNMo
Congrats to Zak!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

For those who want to understand what Dartmouth is all about, tap into this webinar alumni forum for recruits.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eJ279c ... fjqLt/view
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

Two four-star '21s - M Brandon Ventarola and LSM Joe Azelby - flipped to the Big Green from Colgate in the last three weeks: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... th/38/2021.
Finish Strong
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

FOGO Wilson Van Buren (Blessed Trinity Catholic HS, West Coast Stars) commits to The Big Green: https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/12/15/d ... ceoff-man/. Also, '22 Andrew Morris (Trinity School, LI Express) recently flipped to Brown from Dartmouth.
Finish Strong
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

No surprise here for those following recent controversy.

Peter Roby'79 is a terrific choice, will be greatly appreciated by the Dartmouth athletic community.

Dartmouth

Dear ,

Because you are a former Dartmouth athlete, I write to share an announcement we will make later this morning.

Harry Sheehy, Dartmouth’s director of athletics and recreation, will be retiring this month after more than a decade of service to our community of scholar-athletes.

As a result, I am naming Peter Roby ’79 the interim athletics director beginning February 16. He will serve through June 2022.

Further details on both Harry and Peter are in the announcement below.

Thank you for your continued support of Dartmouth Athletics.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Hanlon ’77
President
Harry Sheehy will retire this month after 45 years in competitive and college sports, including more than a decade as Dartmouth's director of athletics and recreation, Dartmouth announced today.

During Sheehy's tenure, Dartmouth brought home 27 Ivy League and three national championships, built the indoor practice building, and oversaw upgrades and renovations at Memorial Field, the squash courts, the rowing boathouse, softball park, and a number of other athletic facilities. He instituted Dartmouth Peak Performance (DP2), an initiative designed to help student-athletes achieve their highest levels of physical, intellectual, and personal growth. Working with the Advancement division, Sheehy founded the Dartmouth Athletics Advisory Board (DAAB) in 2011, and helped raise $29.5 million to endow 16 coaching positions.

Sheehy played competitive basketball for eight years after graduating in 1975 from Williams College, where he went on to coach the sport and serve as its athletics director. He joined Dartmouth in 2010.

"So much has been accomplished by Dartmouth Athletics under Harry’s leadership," says President Philip J. Hanlon ’77. "He has overseen important expansions and renovations of our facilities, helped launch the visionary DP2 program, and helped raise endowments to support a broad range of our teams. I thank him for his dedication and wish him all the best in retirement."

Dartmouth has ranked among the top schools in the nation for the graduation success rate (GSR) of its student-athletes. In each of the 10 years that the Ivy League has been included in the NCAA’s GSR ranking, Dartmouth has been ranked first in the nation six times and in the top three all 10 years.

"I very much appreciate the emphasis Harry has always placed on the academic achievement of our student-athletes and the principle that first and foremost they are students," says President Hanlon.

Says Sheehy, "I have been honored to serve Dartmouth athletics and would like to thank our student-athletes and alumni, DAAB, Dartmouth’s senior leadership group, the department’s senior leadership team, and all those who have supported our mission—within our department, across campus, and beyond. Finally, I offer my heartfelt thanks to an extraordinary group of coaches, and I look forward to following their future success.”

DAAB Chair Tracy Hagan Mallory ’92 says the board thanks Sheehy for his contributions to Dartmouth athletics, its coaches, and student-athletes, and wishes Sheehy and his wife, Connie, "all the best in their next chapter."

"Harry has been a passionate and impactful leader at Dartmouth for the last 10 years. His leadership and commitment to the program will be missed," she says.

Interim AD Has Dartmouth Roots

Hanlon has named Peter Roby ’79 interim athletics director beginning Feb. 16. Roby will serve through June 2022.

He was co-captain of Dartmouth's men's basketball team as a senior and began his coaching career with a season spent as an assistant men's basketball coach at Dartmouth.

Roby served from 2007-2010 as an at-large representative on the Dartmouth Alumni Council, and has been a secretary of his class and a longtime Dartmouth College Fund volunteer.

"Peter Roby is a highly respected leader in intercollegiate athletics. We look forward to welcoming him back to Dartmouth," says Hanlon.

Roby led athletics at Division I Northeastern for more than 10 years, through 2017, after spending five years as director of the university's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, which seeks to create social change using the influence and appeal of sports. He is a former member of the NCAA D-I Men's Basketball Committee, which selects and seeds the annual NCAA tournament field, and has worked as a strategic consultant to the NCAA including in its leadership development programs.

"I’m honored and humbled to be asked to serve the College and will do all I can to bring our athletics community together," says Roby.

He was the men's basketball coach at Harvard for six seasons, after three years as an assistant coach. In addition to his assistant coaching stint at Dartmouth, Roby was an assistant men's basketball coach at Stanford and at the U.S. Military Academy.

He is a member of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, created in 1989 by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which works to develop and lead change that prioritizes the education, health, safety, and success of student-athletes. In addition to his work in athletics, Roby spent several years in marketing at Reebok, including three years as the athletic outfitter's vice president of U.S. marketing. A government major at Dartmouth, Roby has a master's degree in leadership from Northeastern.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”