UNC 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Dom Pietramala

Post by stupefied »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:35 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm I doubt Dom would have listed UNC in the first place if he wasn't seriously considering playing at the same school as his twin brother. Perhaps he doesn't care very much about the media circus and Nick announcing his verbal commitment before his own (to UNC).
Lots to like about UNC.

Coach has proven he can win a national title.

Get to play with his brother.

Nice campus.

Better weather than Syracuse or Denver.

Plus, class attendance is optional!

DocBarrister ;)
The weather in Denver different but it's really nice - should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Syracuse weather.
According to some climate change projections, upstate NY is where you want to be in fifty years or so. Be beautiful temps throughout the year with minimal chance of any natural disasters. That could be significant recruiting advantage in 2070.
Matnum PI

Re: UNC 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

The Petros

Pietramala Twins Headed to North Carolina
Lacrosse Bucket
Sons of lacrosse legend and former Johns Hopkins head coach Dave Pietramala, the two have lacrosse in their blood and have been, somewhat, ...

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
molo

Post by molo »

I said “arguably” and managed to pick up the compliment for which I not too subtly fished.
maddog9718

Re: Dom Pietramala

Post by maddog9718 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:09 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:53 pm Can't wait to see Petro tailgating with the UNC parents at Homewood. :lol:
Don't think I've seen a UNC tailgate at Homewood in many years. Their fans do not travel well. Heck, they don't even go to home games in Chapel Hill
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You don't have to like it but it's true.

UNC was 32nd in average attendance last season—just 596 people per game. That was below Detroit Mercy.

In 2019, UNC was 21st, at 1,269 per game. Better, but still well below what you'd expect from a blue blood program in a location with good spring weather. By comparison, Duke was 10th, Navy was 6th, Virginia was 4th, Hop was 3rd, and Maryland was 1st that year.

In 2018 UNC was 22nd with just 994 fans per home game. That was below schools like Jacksonville and Fairfield.

You can spin it however you'd like, but they should be getting better crowds. Maybe Dom Petro helps change that.
TAV

Post by TAV »

As a Heels fan, I have watched over the years our program be disrespected and consistently be classified as a second rate top tier program; while I enjoy the underdog role, I believe nothing could be further from the truth.

The Twins coming to Chapel Hill are just further validation of this. Surely, Coach P has a pretty good idea of quality, this is not his first rodeo; he probably too some lesser or greater degree advised his sons in their selection process. They both chose Carolina. Why? The potential for a great eduction, overall college experience and a quality top tier lacrosse program (that has their values on straight).

Do the haters really think Coach P would allow his boys to go to a Program “where great players go to underachieve”. I think not.

Believe it or not, there’s more to college athletics and the college experience than wins-losses and National Championships; that being said Carolina has 5 and might just be positioning themselves for another in the near future.

Go HEELS!
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

TAV wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 am As a Heels fan, I have watched over the years our program be disrespected and consistently be classified as a second rate top tier program; while I enjoy the underdog role, I believe nothing could be further from the truth.

The Twins coming to Chapel Hill are just further validation of this. Surely, Coach P has a pretty good idea of quality, this is not his first rodeo; he probably too some lesser or greater degree advised his sons in their selection process. They both chose Carolina. Why? The potential for a great eduction, overall college experience and a quality top tier lacrosse program (that has their values on straight).

Do the haters really think Coach P would allow his boys to go to a Program “where great players go to underachieve”. I think not.

Believe it or not, there’s more to college athletics and the college experience than wins-losses and National Championships; that being said Carolina has 5 and might just be positioning themselves for another in the near future.

Go HEELS!
So you DON’T think the Heels have underperformed given their top-3 ranked recruiting classes every year? I know many in CH who disagree. Breschi certainly can recruit though.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

2020 was potentially THE year for Carolina. They definitely looked improved. I'd take a couple down years for that.

It's unfortunate the 2020 Heels didn't get to showcase that against the ACC part of the schedule. I think they were the real deal and, with everyone that made that team what it was returning (along with a couple VERY strong additions), will continue to be in 2021 (assuming this virus situation allows them all to play.)

Carolina's 2022 recruiting class is shaping up nicely. James Matan and Dom Pietremala look like they could be future mainstays on the offense.
TAV

Post by TAV »

Laxter wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:34 pm
TAV wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 am As a Heels fan, I have watched over the years our program be disrespected and consistently be classified as a second rate top tier program; while I enjoy the underdog role, I believe nothing could be further from the truth.

Go HEELS!
So you DON’T think the Heels have underperformed given their top-3 ranked recruiting classes every year? I know many in CH who disagree. Breschi certainly can recruit though.
This is exactly what I was taking about. We all know "recruiting class" rankings are largely bunk @ the granular level - generally, sure. There's a bit more involved than simply recruiting talent. It's developing that talent, team chemistry etc...and may I add, luck. A couple of years back, Carolina loose 5-6-7 games by one goal - what if the ball bounced another way. a few times? You get it.

So while we're on "top recruiting classes", let's look @ SU or ND or JH. Top tier programs - obviously, top recruits...have they underperformed over the last decade? By your simplistic criteria - YUP! No National Championships - NONE. ZERO. NADA in the last 10 years. ND has never won. Even Maryland, with all their talent, year in and year out, has only won once since the 70's.

The "underperforming" label @ Carolina is old and simply not warranted. Can you say PARITY!

It's a top tier D1 Lacrosse Program @ a very good Public University; with quality coaches and values. They compete in the top League (ACC) and are game competitive, year in and year out. Let's just leave it @ that.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

TAV wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:53 am
Laxter wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:34 pm

Go HEELS!
This is exactly what I was taking about. We all know "recruiting class" rankings are largely bunk @ the granular level - generally, sure. There's a bit more involved than simply recruiting talent. It's developing that talent, team chemistry etc...and may I add, luck. A couple of years back, Carolina loose 5-6-7 games by one goal - what if the ball bounced another way. a few times? You get it.

So while we're on "top recruiting classes", let's look @ SU or ND or JH. Top tier programs - obviously, top recruits...have they underperformed over the last decade? By your simplistic criteria - YUP! No National Championships - NONE. ZERO. NADA in the last 10 years. ND has never won. Even Maryland, with all their talent, year in and year out, has only won once since the 70's.

The "underperforming" label @ Carolina is old and simply not warranted. Can you say PARITY!

It's a top tier D1 Lacrosse Program @ a very good Public University; with quality coaches and values. They compete in the top League (ACC) and are game competitive, year in and year out. Let's just leave it @ that.
ACC is not a "league".
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

acc has taken up so much real estate in hopkins' heads, they should have to pay property taxes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:28 pm acc has taken up so much real estate in hopkins' heads, they should have to pay property taxes.
Hopkins rivals.
1. Daniels administration
2. athletic director
3. early recruiting
4. each other
5. loyola/duke/the ssdm position/goalie/dodging midfielders.
6. everything else.

we hope for the best for the petros except when they play us.

My view of your program is il loves your recruits every year, you've given us headaches for years but duke is the class of your conference for now.
TAV

Post by TAV »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:28 pm acc has taken up so much real estate in hopkins' heads, they should have to pay property taxes.
Hopkins rivals.
1. Daniels administration
2. athletic director
3. early recruiting
4. each other
5. loyola/duke/the ssdm position/goalie/dodging midfielders.
6. everything else.

we hope for the best for the petros except when they play us.

My view of your program is il loves your recruits every year, you've given us headaches for years but duke is the class of your conference for now.
RE: Duke. I would agree. They are top notch, great coach and system, producing consistent results.

As an Hobart Alum from back in the D3 days; I love the underdogs, so Carolina fits right in. My eldest son went there and that’s when I made the complete conversion...

Yes, I’m aware the ACC is a Conference, I misspoke. Didn’t know we were being graded...jeez.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fun fact: duke is .500 against acc opponents the last 5 years, excluding 2020 where they didn't play. just barely over the last couple.

it can be a tough league. they may have had better results in some other leagues.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm fun fact: duke is .500 against acc opponents the last 5 years, excluding 2020 where they didn't play. just barely over the last couple.

it can be a tough league. they may have had better results in some other leagues.
It’s a small sample size.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:27 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm fun fact: duke is .500 against acc opponents the last 5 years, excluding 2020 where they didn't play. just barely over the last couple.

aren't they all? and they will be for whomever is the "class of the conference for now".
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm

aren't they all? and they will be for whomever is the "class of the conference for now".
Tongue in cheek.....aren’t there 5 teams in that conference?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:38 pm

yes and they typically play about 6 games vs per year, depending on how many acc tourn games and meetings in the nc$$.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 pm

yes and they typically play about 6 games vs per year, depending on how many acc tourn games and meetings in the nc$$.
I am watching the Celtics lose.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:43 pm

I am watching the Celtics lose.
heat are playing at a high level. i was out except for a random damian game until this round.

i give them more of a shot vs. lakers than most probably do based on their level of play lately.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”