Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:16 pm Billy Dwan the younger to Syracuse. While the staff turnover was absolutely necessary, we certainly didn't do ourselves any favors on the recruiting front with the timing.
Calm down. There’s a glut of D and young Pietramala from what I’ve heard was never coming to Hop as he didn’t want to play for his dad.

Notice Cottle took a shot at the program about missing out on all these 22s and insinuated that Petro would have landed them all. Hate to break it to you coach but we’ve landed plenty of top recruits and the old staff wasted em.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I'm totally calm and agree that the old staff would have wasted the talent. I was merely commenting on the irony that, after all these years of living with this staff, we finally move on and it happens to in precisely the year where it adversely affects the program's ability to recruit three very highly regarded kids. Giving us one more kick on the way out the door.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The "Hopkins changed coaches in the wrong year" argument is preposterous. Cottle is saying that because Petro is his friend (and now colleague) but you don't base coaching decisions on a few players in a single recruiting class, no matter how talented. They're thinking about the next decade or two or three. And as flaflax mentioned it also ignores the very compelling point that we have already had multiple #1 ranked recruiting classes, and that did not result in anything close to a championship. Cottle of all people should know a little something about that, don't you think?

If IL is your standard then there are already like eight 4 or 5-star defensemen on the roster, with the 5-star kid from LI coming next year and two more 4-stars already in the '22 class...the cupboard is well stocked. At this point it's about getting more out of the talent you have.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:22 am If IL is your standard ..... At this point it's about getting more out of the talent you have.
What other outlets are ranking them....yup, that!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

16 - your sarcasm meter is out of calibration again. Is no one allowed to make a (mostly) joke on this thread without causing a backlash? It's not like I said that the younger Dwan picked Cuse because he was really pissed off at the way his Dad was treated. Oh wait, I actually did make that joke a couple of weeks ago about Dom, and got the same reaction from you, so maybe that's not the best comparison.

That said, I continue to think that it is kinda funny that we let the staff go a couple of months before their highly rated kids go elsewhere.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Dave Cottle
@CoachCottle
·
13h
Watching this years recruiting the ACC is killing it on 2022’s. Navy is also having a year. Georgetown is getting quality. OSU and Maryland leading big ten. Hopkins changed coaches in the wrong year. They would have owned the 2022’s.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 am 16 - your sarcasm meter is out of calibration again. Is no one allowed to make a (mostly) joke on this thread without causing a backlash? It's not like I said that the younger Dwan picked Cuse because he was really ticked off at the way his Dad was treated. Oh wait, I actually did make that joke a couple of weeks ago about Dom, and got the same reaction from you, so maybe that's not the best comparison.

That said, I continue to think that it is kinda funny that we let the staff go a couple of months before their highly rated kids go elsewhere.
I was responding to and directly quoting the Cottle tweet harflax just posted, not what you said. Of course little Dwan going to Cuse is ironic. No argument there. I’d have thought he’d go to Loyola to play with his uncle, who’s one of the best D coordinators in the country.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Fair enough, I probably would have made the same joke anyway though.

I happen to agree with Cottle, though. They did pick the wrong year to change coaches. They should have done it a couple of years ago.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

When asked why he should be President even though arkansas was 48th in everything bill clinton once said but at least we're ahead of mississippi and alabama. I'm watching sec football, fans distanced, players not dying. If alabama and mississippi can do this Hopkins should be able to. Time to allow lax to start organized practices for spring, and plans to reopen campus.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm When asked why he should be President even though arkansas was 48th in everything bill clinton once said but at least we're ahead of mississippi and alabama. I'm watching sec football, fans distanced, players not dying. If alabama and mississippi can do this Hopkins should be able to. Time to allow lax to start organized practices for spring, and plans to reopen campus.
Um, so Hop should imitate the two most backward states in the union??
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:22 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:45 pm When asked why he should be President even though arkansas was 48th in everything bill clinton once said but at least we're ahead of mississippi and alabama. I'm watching sec football, fans distanced, players not dying. If alabama and mississippi can do this Hopkins should be able to. Time to allow lax to start organized practices for spring, and plans to reopen campus.
Hey!!! Wombat is from Alabama.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:58 pm
Sing Free Bird!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:19 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:58 pm
Sing Free Bird!
I do. Often.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

harflax wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:47 am Dave Cottle
@CoachCottle
·
13h
Watching this years recruiting the ACC is killing it on 2022’s. Navy is also having a year. Georgetown is getting quality. OSU and Maryland leading big ten. Hopkins changed coaches in the wrong year. They would have owned the 2022’s.
The whole "can't change coaches this year because we might miss out on kid x or kid y" has always been absurd, but never more so than now. There is still an extreme bias in the rankings game towards the East Coast, but other parts of the country (California, Texas, and Florida) have caught up. It is no longer the situation where you might have a random kid from California who makes an impact in D1. From now on, you will have lots of phenomenal athletes who have grown up playing lacrosse primarily and have been well-coached and trained. The bottom line is that there are far more D1-ready players than there are spots at D1 schools. Schools will have to get more creative in their scouting approaches, but there is no reason that a D1 team can't be good even if they don't get any kids in Ty's top 10.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

A change of topic in these desperate soul-sucking times :evil: .

I found confirmation of my opinion that the best Lacrosse Team that I have ever seen or played against (bar done) was the 1965 Navy Team. My sophomore year we had only one loss and Navy beat us approx 14-5 and the game wasn't that close. They were terrific.

Read for yourselves: https:/www.capitalgazette.com/sports/navy/ac-c ... story.html

Plus there were less than 35 players on the Team. (relevant for the size of lacrosse rosters and Navy players just "loved" Coach Bilderbach.)
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Dear God Paul Rabil is embarrassing. He literally went full Zoolander on twitter.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

flalax22 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:53 pm Dear God Paul Rabil is embarrassing. He literally went full Zoolander on twitter.
Don’t follow him then.

Twitter is a cesspool.

Let them swim in it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-"Paul Rabil
Another son’s commitment of a legendary Hopkins coach, Bill Dwan. BD was the ultimate players coach. We would sit in his office for hours talking everything practice, dating and hockey fights. I’m sure his son Billy had the same upbringing — and cuse just got better."

-I thought Petro et al were meanies. The subtweeting of Rabil is fantastic.

-Someone will have the list of all the other teams on our schedule and whether they're practicing. Obviously if sec schools can do this, an elite medical driven university like Hopkins can. It's embarrassing if Maryland is outclassing Hopkins at medical preparedness.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:03 pm It's embarrassing if Maryland is outclassing Hopkins at medical preparedness.
The Maryland men's lacrosse team is not allowed to practice right now either. You have no idea what you're talking about, as is tradition.

The Rabil photo shoot was tongue-in-cheek and his tweets are clearly self-deprecating. Nobody cares about it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:10 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:03 pm It's embarrassing if Maryland is outclassing Hopkins at medical preparedness.
The Maryland men's lacrosse team is not allowed to practice right now either. You have no idea what you're talking about, as is tradition.

The Rabil photo shoot was tongue-in-cheek and his tweets are clearly self-deprecating. Nobody cares about it.
If sec/acc where the kids are so well behaved that 5% of the players get arrested every year and the rest need tutors to pass remedial reading (what up unc), can figure out how to make sports work, Hopkins lacrosse can too. Time to get out of the fetal position and find a way or make one.

I didn't see Rabil's photo shoot, love his barstool partnership.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”