All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:11 pm
Fewer than 1 in 10 Americans show signs of past coronavirus infection, large national study finds
This suggests millions may still be vulnerable to infection, authors say
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... munity-us/
Fewer than 1 in 10 Americans showed signs of past infection with the novel coronavirus as of late July, suggesting that most of the country may still be vulnerable to infection, according to one of the largest studies of its kind published Friday in the journal the Lancet.

That proportion is an estimate based on the percentage of dialysis patients whose immune systems produced coronavirus antibodies. It does not indicate exactly how many Americans may be immune to the virus, because not every infected individual develops antibodies. It is also unclear how strong a defense antibodies might confer or for how long. But, combined with similar results from studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other institutions, it’s evident a large majority may not be protected against a disease that has already killed 200,000 Americans.

“We are still in the middle of the fight,” said Eli Rosenberg, a State University of New York at Albany epidemiologist who was not part of the study. “We’re all tired, and we’re all hoping for a vaccine. This shows us how it’s not over here, not even by a long shot.”
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

tell eli and the lancet there may be hope. if it's studied, who knows?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Interesting question I haven't found much about. If someone votes today, but dies tomorrow of COVID or something else, does their vote count come election day?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

njbill wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:13 pm Maybe true, but you just won’t be able to tolerate living in a blue state.
Median Home Prices

#25 Florida: $245K
#10 New York: $321K
#9 New Jersey: $335K
#8 Utah: $348K
#7 Oregon: $361K
#6 Colorado:$379K
#5 Washington: $409K
#4 Massachusetts: $422K
#3 California: $554K
#2 D.C.: $626K
#1 Hawaii: $636K

Hmm
Brooklyn

Re: All things tRUMP CoronaVirus

Post by Brooklyn »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 pm
tell your boys up in minnie to get their masks on?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend

Remember the Captain's words from Cool Hand Luke: What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ggait

Post by ggait »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:39 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:13 pm Maybe true, but you just won’t be able to tolerate living in a blue state.
Median Home Prices

Hmm
Nobody lives in those blue states any more. Too crowded.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Bending the machinery of government to the needs of the campaign, even when it might kill people:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/2 ... rus-421957

MA(Pitiable)A
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:12 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:05 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:24 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:44 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:17 am Florida reported #Covid deaths

Fri. August 7: 180
Fri. August 14: 229
Fri. August 21: 121
Today: 89

Virus gonna virus. And when virus is done virusing, it’s done.

Cry more, libs.
by Peter Brown » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:19 am

#Covid burned out in Florida. On its own.
202 deaths in FL on 9/23. 172 on 9/24.

FL 7 day average is 101. Plateau or maybe even rising again. The average was 38 on 6/30 when Petey first told us the virus was dying out.

Petey says the virus is dying out.

The virus says #peteyisstillamoron
The data in no way shows it falling in Florida. It is flat at best and to me it looks like it is beginning to raise. I suspect next week is more likely to be worse than this week.
where/what do you see as a trend reversal?
The trailing average 7 day death rate had come down to 77 as of Sept 8, but back up to over 100 a day again. That looks like a "reversal" to me.

The puzzling aspect is the reported daily cases has come way down from its peak this summer and is bumping along ever since...anyone know the positivity rate on tests in Florida? Is there an issue in what's being reported? hmmm...sure wish we could be confident that politics weren't screwing with what's being reported out.

My mom is planning to head to Florida mid October, so it would be great to hear that cases really are way down from their peak and holding low.
that was a 3 day holiday weekend that moved the 7 day around. data is noisy. reporting, not every day's the same. even for 7 days in the short term. deaths have look stable to me. unfortunately. if they follow hospitalizations (the best indicator, imo), which have been good directionally, they can fall further for now.

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/09/ ... us-battle/
Fingers crossed.
My sense is there's lots of social distancing happening with a substantial portion of the population, shocked by this summer, but on the other hand we have schools reopening and another substantial portion of the population being knuckleheads...so, fingers crossed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:08 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:15 pm Only if Trump wins of course. Otherwise I’ll be busy figuring out next steps. :lol:
Pete, I've given you oodles of suggestions over the past months. We are getting down to crunch time. Have you hired a realtor yet? Gotten Chez Brown fixed up so you can put it on the market on Nov. 4?
I don't think Petey will opt for Russia (too cold), but perhaps Brazil???

Bolsonaro as President for life and lots of cheap labor?
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:39 pm
Median Home Prices

Hmm
Lots of room for upward growth??? :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 am

Cry more, libs.

FL 7 day average is 101. Plateau or maybe even rising again. The average was 38 on 6/30 when Petey first told us the virus was dying out.

The data in no way shows it falling in Florida. It is flat at best and to me it looks like it is beginning to raise. I suspect next week is more likely to be worse than this week.
The trailing average 7 day death rate had come down to 77 as of Sept 8, but back up to over 100 a day again. That looks like a "reversal" to me.

The puzzling aspect is the reported daily cases has come way down from its peak this summer and is bumping along ever since...anyone know the positivity rate on tests in Florida? Is there an issue in what's being reported? hmmm...sure wish we could be confident that politics weren't screwing with what's being reported out.

My mom is planning to head to Florida mid October, so it would be great to hear that cases really are way down from their peak and holding low.
that was a 3 day holiday weekend that moved the 7 day around. data is noisy. reporting, not every day's the same. even for 7 days in the short term. deaths have look stable to me. unfortunately. if they follow hospitalizations (the best indicator, imo), which have been good directionally, they can fall further for now.

Fingers crossed.
My sense is there's lots of social distancing happening with a substantial portion of the population, shocked by this summer, but on the other hand we have schools reopening and another substantial portion of the population being knuckleheads...so, fingers crossed.
Serious question....do you do the grocery shopping for your home, @ the store, and not online ordering and pick up?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:00 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:40 am

Cry more, libs.

Fingers crossed.
Serious question....do you do the grocery shopping for your home, @ the store, and not online ordering and pick up?
We've done some of both. We did 100% online at first using Peapod and then eased into doing Wegmans and Costco runs, with the occasional FreshMarket which is closest. Only after it was clear that those stores will all requiring mask wearing and limiting volume of access, had great hygiene practices etc. Our business is in the technology end of the grocery sector, so we were clued in right away as to what was happening at grocery. They took it very seriously, quickly, and stores like Costco led the way in having their own distancing and mask mandates. Lots of cleaning. Peapod's all fouled up right now as they transfer into rebranding as Giant Direct and Stop & Shop Direct, so we've been doing less online these past months.

We insisted on my mom and son in Florida doing 100% online from their local Publix via Instacart through their duration there to mid May. They found it quite easy, plus the club provided meals for pick-up instead of sit-down, plus an on premises farmer's market once a week. Made it really easy (they now have some sit-down outside dining, so that too will be available once she goes back).

My wife does most of the Wegman store runs, but I do most of the Costco, though will occasionally do a Wegmans run...she knows that store better than me and it's indeed a big advantage to getting through it.

I've been impressed by how disciplined they've been in those stores and the strong compliance I've seen from their shoppers.

Where I see much less compliance is in convenience stores, gas stations etc, more lax behavior by some of their patrons...but overall not bad. I've had a couple of experiences at other retail/service spots where people are definitely being more lax than at grocery. But pretty much everywhere you see the no mask, no entry signs...and people have adjusted.

My sister and our neighbor across the street from her and us are having a yard sale today...the neighbor does this as a hobby, (drives her husband crazy) and says she doesn't really make any money, it's really for entertainment...a social experiment...does several a year. My sister chips in and works it with her. We put a couple of things out from our basement this AM, so I saw the crowd...everyone wearing masks, no problem.

Of course, this is in Maryland. Baltimore County.
Our area is doing pretty darn well right now as a result.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

No one could have predicted this. And by ‘no one’, I mean everyone.

CF3300E1-0B8B-4D3C-B3B2-9501F69EF16F.jpeg
CF3300E1-0B8B-4D3C-B3B2-9501F69EF16F.jpeg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 807 times

Florida is completely reopened. Cases dropping like a rock.

New York? Cases now going back up and will get worse as people come back indoors. They want you to eat on sidewalks with crack addicts lurking, in January. Predictable af.

Want to know what else is predictable af? Fanlax Dems staring at statistics and facts and refusing to admit reality.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm No one could have predicted this. And by ‘no one’, I mean everyone.

CF3300E1-0B8B-4D3C-B3B2-9501F69EF16F.jpeg

Florida is completely reopened. Cases dropping like a rock.

New York? Cases now going back up and will get worse as people come back indoors. They want you to eat on sidewalks with crack addicts lurking, in January. Predictable af.

Want to know what else is predictable af? Fanlax Dems staring at statistics and facts and refusing to admit reality.
That is true. They reported just about 100,000 tests run. That is 1%. NYS has been bouncing right about 1% give/take a little for 2 months.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

I was excited to hear Florida was doing so well. They only had 2,847 new cases yesterday! And have averaged 2653 new cases for the previous 21 days according to Google, with new daily cases trending slightly upward the past 21 days.

It's fantastic to hear Florida is doing so much better than NY with Florida's 2,846 new cases and 120 deaths vs. New York's ~1,000 new cases and 4 deaths yesterday. Kudos!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:46 amWe put a couple of things out from our basement this AM, so I saw the crowd...everyone wearing masks, no problem.

Of course, this is in Maryland. Baltimore County.
Our area is doing pretty darn well right now as a result.
maryland can probably get their mask use up to at least the level of places like florida and california to avoid some of the catastrophic results predicted for december there.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... a/maryland
ggait

Post by ggait »

Fact is, Petey, the Sun Belt states generally hold better cards for Covid through sheer dumb luck.

Warmer weather, more things outside, less pop density, more suburban.

Sure FL and AZ have big retiree numbers, but those tend to be more affluent retirees -- which helps on everything including Covid.

Bottom line, Ron D is playing strong cards badly. TBD what his restaurant re-opening does.

Good chance it won't be too awful. It is of course a super dumb policy. But by now, Floridians (excluding you) are smart enough to not follow Ron's dumb lead. And with more temperate weather, it is just so much easier to stay and dine outside as we head into Fall and Winter.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:54 pm Fact is, Petey, the Sun Belt states generally hold better cards for Covid through sheer dumb luck.

Warmer weather, more things outside, less pop density, more suburban.

Sure FL and AZ have big retiree numbers, but those tend to be more affluent retirees -- which helps on everything including Covid.

Bottom line, Ron D is playing strong cards badly. TBD what his restaurant re-opening does.

Good chance it won't be too awful. It is of course a super dumb policy. But by now, Floridians (excluding you) are smart enough to not follow Ron's dumb lead. And with more temperate weather, it is just so much easier to stay and dine outside as we head into Fall and Winter.
Yes. Florida has what is called a comparative advance and given the comparative advantage, Ron has squandered his opportunity.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m starting to wonder if Ron is a secret agent for Biden. Opening up the state is a dumb, dumb, dumb idea. No question cases, hospitalizations, and maybe even deaths are likely to increase, perhaps precipitously.

That is only going to play into Biden’s hands.

Pete, what is going on with your patron saint?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:16 pm I’m starting to wonder if Ron is a secret agent for Biden. Opening up the state is a dumb, dumb, dumb idea. No question cases, hospitalizations, and maybe even deaths are likely to increase, perhaps precipitously.

That is only going to play into Biden’s hands.

Pete, what is going on with your patron saint?

Everyone loves Ron.

And you boys will be clamoring to come down here to go out to a restaurant without the police arresting you for not wearing a mask, or gangs of Democratic Antifa demanding you raise your fist. I imagine the scene from Hanoi when the last American helicopter took the last Americans from the embassy, that’ll be you fellas trying to flee the northeast. It’s sad, actually. They used to play good lacrosse up there. We’ll need to salt it like Chernobyl when the last human leaves. Just don’t bring your politics here, please. We have a balanced budget, a surplus, and no income taxes. Stay away if you hate those things. Thanks, a Grateful Florida

Return to “POLITICS”