Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by FMUBart »

bananas wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 pm
bananas wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 am On 11/4th, the coronavirus will still be around but we'll be better able to cope with it and resume more activities irregardless of upticks.
I agree with the timing..however, "irregardless" ain't a word ;)
Im not bananas!

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/07/88764901 ... -is-a-word
HAHA! Touche'...just not sure what "not" regardless is!
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

bananas wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 am On 11/4th, the coronavirus will still be around but we'll be better able to cope with it and resume more activities irregardless of upticks.
But irregardless was first included in Merriam-Webster's Unabridged edition in 1934, a spokesperson tells NPR. Other dictionaries, including Webster's New World College Dictionary, The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language and the Cambridge Dictionary all recognize irregardless as a word.

It's not new. :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

There will be a 2021 season. Kids played all summer.
Football, basketball, PLL, all have played.

I expect a full 2021 season, but the Ivy leagues may wait to see what the political situation is first then decide.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

The optimism for a season is higher than ever now with the Big Ten back and the other conferences looking for a way to play in October.

Add that along with college basketball starting Thanksgiving week along with college hockey around November, I think there's going to be a season. With some changes.

Think the season starts in March. A February start, even a mid-February start, will be really tough to put together. End-date who knows, could be a tournament played in the final two weeks of May, maybe half of or the entire month of June.
118:24 #HHH
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Drcthru wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:23 pm
But irregardless was first included in Merriam-Webster's Unabridged edition in 1934, a spokesperson tells NPR. Other dictionaries, including Webster's New World College Dictionary, The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language and the Cambridge Dictionary all recognize irregardless as a word.

it took merriam over a hundred years to be won over. a better critique would be:
that's “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.”

i almost prefer it isn't a word. certainly easier to remember. cuts even deeper. even if it's wrong.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:19 pm

it took merriam over a hundred years to be won over. a better critique would be:
that's “not conforming in pronunciation, grammatical construction, idiom, or word choice to the usage generally characteristic of educated native speakers of a language.”

i almost prefer it isn't a word. certainly easier to remember. cuts even deeper. even if it's wrong.
I agree! Just pointing out the "conventional wisdom". There are a large number of common usages of the English language that I find appalling but, I tire of trying to be the grammar police.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

You could go with "irrespective" in most cases and get the same gist across but then there wouldn't be this fun discussion! (not being facetious, I love discussions of vocabulary and its usage).
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Everything you wrote is not untrue :lol:
bananas

Post by bananas »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:01 pm You could go with "irrespective" in most cases and get the same gist across but then there wouldn't be this fun discussion! (not being facetious, I love discussions of vocabulary and its usage).
Lol. How bout rhymes and play on words?

The self proclaimed 'imperturbable and unflappable' Clyde Frazier use of vocabulary is one of the few reasons I still watch the Knicks irrespective of their woeful play.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Merrimack had to just shut down a whole dorm. One case last week quickly developed to 17 in it. Just goes to show how quickly it spreads. Wondering how many cases push colleges to go full remote? Can’t see fall ball happening there unless it’s quickly controlled.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

"Cases" will continue to spread, as Lou Holt said: I don't care about cases, people get sick all the time, I care about hospitalizations and deaths...
Identifying cases, I suppose, is important in order to prevent further spread, but are young people getting hospitalized or for that matter, dying?
Last edited by FMUBart on Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

USS Notre Dame Takes Major Hit

Post by DocBarrister »

Notre Dame was pretty much the flagship of the play-college-football segment of the FBS. Without Notre Dame insisting on playing this Fall, the ACC might have canceled like the Big Ten.

Now the Fighting Irish have postponed their game against Wake Forest to Dec. 12. ND had 8 players out against USF. Now the team reportedly has at least 23 players out for COVID-19 related reasons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 503516001/

This is just the third week of the season. Colleges in the ACC have enough wiggle room to reschedule one or two games, but not any more than that.

If a flagship program like Notre Dame is already having to postpone games and use their precious few make-up dates, things do not bode well for college football.

And if college football can’t manage to play their season, then that makes a 2021 lacrosse season a lot less likely.

I was getting more optimistic, but ND’s retreat just quashed that.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

I question their reporting that 7 positive covid tests only knock out a small number of players with contact tracing. I would expect that number to be much higher in season.
Monday’s round of COVID-19 testing for 94 players revealed seven new positive tests. The day prior, the program announced that 10 players sat out Saturday’s 52-0 win over South Florida at Notre Dame Stadium due to four positive tests results and six others placed in quarantine from contact tracing from last week's Tuesday-through-Friday window.

This is just hopefully optimistic.
"There hasn't been good data to suggest transmission from in-game activities,” he said. “It sure is theoretically possible."
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

More testing = more cases... Are hospitalizations going up?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:09 am More testing = more cases... Are hospitalizations going up?
Exactly. The actions of pushing games and the like is purely about minimizing potential litigation and appearances. The reports so far have been over 45K kids have been confirmed with COVID...there have been exactly 2 hospitalizations and no deaths.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:34 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:09 am More testing = more cases... Are hospitalizations going up?
Exactly. The actions of pushing games and the like is purely about minimizing potential litigation and appearances. The reports so far have been over 45K kids have been confirmed with COVID...there have been exactly 2 hospitalizations and no deaths.
That's less than the number that die from chicken pox annually!
wgdsr

Re: USS Notre Dame Takes Major Hit

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:57 pm Notre Dame was pretty much the flagship of the play-college-football segment of the FBS. Without Notre Dame insisting on playing this Fall, the ACC might have canceled like the Big Ten.

Now the Fighting Irish have postponed their game against Wake Forest to Dec. 12. ND had 8 players out against USF. Now the team reportedly has at least 23 players out for COVID-19 related reasons.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 503516001/

This is just the third week of the season. Colleges in the ACC have enough wiggle room to reschedule one or two games, but not any more than that.

If a flagship program like Notre Dame is already having to postpone games and use their precious few make-up dates, things do not bode well for college football.

And if college football can’t manage to play their season, then that makes a 2021 lacrosse season a lot less likely.

I was getting more optimistic, but ND’s retreat just quashed that.

DocBarrister :|
had notre dame bailed, it would've had zero impact on whether the acc played. they would've made a call based on their own circumstances.

college football games have been getting pushed all over the place. nd doing so is the incremental move of one more game. knute rockne, rip.

at the present rate, my guess is at a minimum conferences like the acc would move to a shortened schedule. maybe for all, maybe for some. if they go down, they'll go down kicking and screaming.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:34 am
Those most pertinent health statistics are not the narrative that the media wants to promote right now.

2021 season can come off if the hospitalization numbers remain so minimal throughout the winter season.

All aware that the flu season causes hospitalizations and deaths especially amongst the elderly .Expecting no distinction to be made and flu statistics to be lumped with coronavirus especially if there is a reelection.

Know lax is not football or basketball as far as tv ratings and revenue generation. Expect the majors to concentrate on getting those two off while lax and some others could be sacrificed despite equal ability to play in a safe controlled environment
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Test test test! with masks, distancing. U of Illinois apparently was laughed at for its over-the-top testing plan, but it's doing better than almost all other big schools. Not a laxschool of course.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-univer ... d=72686799
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

quote=bearlaxfan post_id=187783 time=1600958449 user_id=400]
Test test test! with masks, distancing. U of Illinois apparently was laughed at for its over-the-top testing plan, but it's doing better than almost all other big schools. Not a laxschool of course.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-univer ... d=72686799
[/quote]

Here is the above referenced data. There are links on the twitter feed where this was published sourcing the data for each school. I glanced through a few (and it looks accurate) but cannot vouch for all of it (though the guy who put it together is reputable). I think there might be some discrepancy as to whether all of the positives are actually students or part of the "school system" between schools. In addition this obviously is only a small fraction of schools and perhaps there might be reporting bias where schools that are doing worse are reluctant to publish their data. The overall take home though is clear and consistent with all of the data to date on COVID outcomes in this age group.
Eii2P7VWoAE3Z8F.png
Eii2P7VWoAE3Z8F.png (37.04 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”