All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/coronav ... -time.html
now we could have maybe 75 million doses available by year end and enough for everyone by april, per fauci.
i don't think it was a week ago redfield was saying several million by year end and maybe enough for everybody by the 3rd quarter. all while telling the 50 governors to forget about zoning regulations so mckesson can get them out en masse by november 1.

they must be working off different models.

in between the 2 congressional sit downs was moderna, one of the leading candidates, saying their readout will likely be delayed a month-ish due to falling cases nationwide. that would seem to run contrary to the order of proclamations here, but again it's 2020 so it makes perfect sense.

bart or pcow, i expect you guys to let me know which one i want to go with, if we have those options. i believe we're at about 40% not nervous/will take it. everybody's probably just waiting on the scientific readout.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:52 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/coronav ... -time.html
now we could have maybe 75 million doses available by year end and enough for everyone by april, per fauci.
i don't think it was a week ago redfield was saying several million by year end and maybe enough for everybody by the 3rd quarter. all while telling the 50 governors to forget about zoning regulations so mckesson can get them out en masse by november 1.

in between the 2 congressional sit downs was moderna, one of the leading candidates, saying their readout will likely be delayed a month-ish due to falling cases nationwide. that would seem to run contrary to the order of proclamations here, but again it's 2020 so it makes perfect sense.

bart or pcow, i expect you guys to let me know which one i want to go with, if we have those options. i believe we're at about 40% not nervous/will take it. everybody's probably just waiting on the scientific readout.
Those are projected volumes. ;)
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:49 pm
evidently the cu plan was to screen test on campus students weekly, but not off campus. so probably about 1/4 of the school.
https://www.dailycamera.com/cu-boulder- ... nts-weekly
not surprisingly, they now have over 100 cases per day on their dashboard. and get to do the 'ole lockdown/quarantine bit to add to all their other regulations.

would make more sense to not do any regular testing at all and save the money. unless the thesis was covid doesn't like to live off campus?
Agree that CU's plan was doomed to fail. Like most big state Us, they didn't require tests prior to arrival; they didn't test every kid upon arrival; and they didn't regularly test every kid following arrival. That isn't going to cut it. The real question is whether the students will start lighting up the town. I suspect folks in State College, Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, etc. have the same worry.

In contrast, my kid's smaller, higher resourced, private school is doing fine (at least so far) -- test every kid at home, and upon arrival, and then weekly thereafter. Their weekly positives are very low and trending lower. I wonder what the cost of that level of testing is?

The only big public state U I've heard of doing very high volume testing is Illinois. They test every student/staff person twice a week. That's a ton of tests -- 15-17k tests a day! They invented their own saliva test and do it all in house. Compare UMich (which has private-like resources). Only doing 6k saliva tests per week of asymptomatic personnel.
in house helps. start using private, vendors, outside labs' tests and facilities and bulk rates shoot up to as high as $100. i've seen purdue doing it for $15.
looks like university of illinois is.... $2. that's two. helps to have planned ahead.
https://www.wglt.org/post/isu-random-co ... n#stream/0
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:42 pm
foreverlax wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am
I don't wear a helmet while bike riding, either.....
Why in the world would you make that your habit?

The risk of falling and getting a concussion would be the best thing that happens. sheesh.
nothing close to Danny Macaskill, but pretty damn good "technical" bike rider. Helmet ain't gonna save me from all the criminals texting and driving, now is it.

Here is Danny.......his video's are wonderful feasts for the soul and senses. Remarkable what humans can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
That is not an answer to the question....
Because, statistically.........the vast majority of deaths are internal bleeding and organ damage, which, of course, includes the brain. And I have had SO many concussions in my life.........shocking I know ;) .....that, at this point, to quote Hillaryous Clinton, ".....what difference does it make ?" And my death will be rejoiced, especially by the liberal pretends Hopkins types. One less "shallow gene pool" from shallow people.

To clarify, as explained earlier, I DO WEAR A HELMET , when mountain biking. I also wear a helmet when I participate in fundraiser type byke rydes. Wouldn't if you didn't have to, no helmet training on a road bike, which is boring , rarely do it, except for century, fundraiser byke rydes.

(Did the Salisbury Century last year......too cold.WINDY bailed at first rest stop, met some fun & "sane" people taking the sag wagon back to campus, after the drop off, kind of got lost and rode thru the tunnel by "accident'...I swear.....SeaGulls cheerleaders....live band. Great time. Talked with the Major Taylor contingent from New Orleans for hours. ( Taylor was a Negro (1800's)cyclist and world champion ) )

Further clarification. This covid spring, really late spring, starting in early May , I logged almost three thousand (3,000) miles within Boston. All on the old school hardtail mtn. bike. Just flat pedals. (strava tracks it ) it's mentally demanding b/c you have to go all "Downey Sherlockian" to NOT get hurt. Can you account for everything? Well, haven't been in an accident yet. When a rider can relax, (smooth surface, no traffic, etc. ) I will ride no hands. uphill too .

In short ,and face slapping,, while ya all are face palming, can't be Baltimore like and be long winded. Or worded.

Helmets don't do much in preventing death. Concussions? Ask US Lax about helmets, pay ol la and the validity of "tests". Besides MDLAXFAN, who was too stupid to not see the laughable timelyness of the Stallion scandal. It's as if someone knew someone, and a Cascade of emails, phone calls, doth protest. rightfully so....

besides that, they are uncomfortable...get stolen, and again, don't do much in preventing death. And, as mentioned earlier, almost half of all killed while bike riding had a very HIGH blood ALCoHOHOL count. So there's that. Preferred choice of our nerd liberals pretends, ironically.

If I die mountain biking, that IS on me. Helmet DOES keep the pain away, tho, branches hurt.

If you you have read this far, congratulations. Clearly, like people who post "cat" photos, you have way to much time on your hands. Or, more likely, you're limited in your imageNation, lack curiosity, keeping you from exploring beyond the comfortable backyard. You know, Baltimore, mdlax fan, types. To explain what "Downey Sherlockian" means. Robert Downey Jr played Sherlock Holmes. in a few scenes, he reads, moves, wins, by paying attention. To detail. Being focused, predickting, if that homeless person will cross,....there's two pot holes ahead.....three pot heads riding opposite, and I hear a car and two motorcycles coming from behind, maybe three motorcycles....branch ahead.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:45 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:02 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:42 pm
foreverlax wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am
I don't wear a helmet while bike riding, either.....
Why in the world would you make that your habit?

The risk of falling and getting a concussion would be the best thing that happens. sheesh.
nothing close to Danny Macaskill, but pretty damn good "technical" bike rider. Helmet ain't gonna save me from all the criminals texting and driving, now is it.

Here is Danny.......his video's are wonderful feasts for the soul and senses. Remarkable what humans can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
That is not an answer to the question....
Because, statistically.........the vast majority of deaths are internal bleeding and organ damage, which, of course, includes the brain. And I have had SO many concussions in my life.........shocking I know ;) .....that, at this point, to quote Hillaryous Clinton, ".....what difference does it make ?" And my death will be rejoiced, especially by the liberal pretends Hopkins types. One less "shallow gene pool" from shallow people.

To clarify, as explained earlier, I DO WEAR A HELMET , when mountain biking. I also wear a helmet when I participate in fundraiser type byke rydes. Wouldn't if you didn't have to, no helmet training on a road bike, which is boring , rarely do it, except for century, fundraiser byke rydes.

(Did the Salisbury Century last year......too cold.WINDY bailed at first rest stop, met some fun & "sane" people taking the sag wagon back to campus, after the drop off, kind of got lost and rode thru the tunnel by "accident'...I swear.....SeaGulls cheerleaders....live band. Great time. Talked with the Major Taylor contingent from New Orleans for hours. ( Taylor was a Negro (1800's)cyclist and world champion ) )

Further clarification. This covid spring, really late spring, starting in early May , I logged almost three thousand (3,000) miles within Boston. All on the old school hardtail mtn. bike. Just flat pedals. (strava tracks it ) it's mentally demanding b/c you have to go all "Downey Sherlockian" to NOT get hurt. Can you account for everything? Well, haven't been in an accident yet. When a rider can relax, (smooth surface, no traffic, etc. ) I will ride no hands. uphill too .

In short ,and face slapping,, while ya all are face palming, can't be Baltimore like and be long winded. Or worded.

Helmets don't do much in preventing death. Concussions? Ask US Lax about helmets, pay ol la and the validity of "tests". Besides MDLAXFAN, who was too stupid to not see the laughable timelyness of the Stallion scandal. It's as if someone knew someone, and a Cascade of emails, phone calls, doth protest. rightfully so....

besides that, they are uncomfortable...get stolen, and again, don't do much in preventing death. And, as mentioned earlier, almost half of all killed while bike riding had a very HIGH blood ALCoHOHOL count. So there's that. Preferred choice of our nerd liberals pretends, ironically.

If I die mountain biking, that IS on me. Helmet DOES keep the pain away, tho, branches hurt.

If you you have read this far, congratulations. Clearly, like people who post "cat" photos, you have way to much time on your hands. Or, more likely, you're limited in your imageNation, lack curiosity, keeping you from exploring beyond the comfortable backyard. You know, Baltimore, mdlax fan, types. To explain what "Downey Sherlockian" means. Robert Downey Jr played Sherlock Holmes. in a few scenes, he reads, moves, wins, by paying attention. To detail. Being focused, predickting, if that homeless person will cross,....there's two pot holes ahead.....three pot heads riding opposite, and I hear a car and two motorcycles coming from behind, maybe three motorcycles....branch ahead.
~200miles/week since early May....you need more to do. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

So, resign and go public with your outrage.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:52 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/coronav ... -time.html

I just watched Fauci's opening statement (worth watching), which I had missed earlier today (was, however, watching when he ripped into idiot Rand Paul, also very well worth watching)...I have not yet seen the clip about # of doses of the vaccines and their timing, which he did not include in his opening remarks, but I see the CNBC quote.

Was he talking about the number of doses combined from all 6 companies??? Or was he suggesting that if ONE of them proves to be safe and effective, that sort of number would be available in those timetables? (doesn't sound right based on what the companies themselves have said, I think)...of course, there's also the issue of the first 3 all being multi-dose requirements, the fourth is the first to be a single dose...and were these doses the #'s exclusively for US distribution?

Sure would be good if this stuff was clearer.

What does seem apparent is that there's little to no chance that any of these will be approved in October, hopefully late November or December, if all goes well. And that'll be for limited usage not full population.

I wasn't happy with Redfield on a whole bunch of questions, quite mealy mouthed about all the communications issues out of CDC, clearly because of political influences, not straight science. But he's clearly walking a tightrope to keep the WH at bay while trying to do a decent job from a public health perspective...but that political pressure is clearly massive. I also thought his answer to the Senator from Wyoming about "equitable" distribution to rural areas given the intensive refrigeration requirements for the first vaccine candidates was quite weak...it's clear that the Administration is again pushing everything down to the states and not giving them a clear roadmap of who they should execute it given their varying issues. And what the heck does "equitable" even mean in a world of scarce resources at the outset. what will the priorities in distribution actually be and who will be vaccinated first?

Again, it seems like they're pushing this down to the states, just like the FUBAR with testing and PPE.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:06 pm
She can't handle being accountable?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:39 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:06 pm
She can't handle being accountable?
My hunch is that we're eventually going to hear frustrations akin to Olivia Troye.

But on an even bigger scale because she was asked to speak for the Administration so often.
old salt

Post by old salt »

W EU going back into lock down. Same complaints on BBC, DW & France24 as heard on MSNBC, ...just no Trump to blame.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

200,000 = "virtually nobody"...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:30 pm

I just watched Fauci's opening statement (worth watching), which I had missed earlier today (was, however, watching when he ripped into idiot Rand Paul, also very well worth watching)...I have not yet seen the clip about # of doses of the vaccines and their timing, which he did not include in his opening remarks, but I see the CNBC quote.

Was he talking about the number of doses combined from all 6 companies??? Or was he suggesting that if ONE of them proves to be safe and effective, that sort of number would be available in those timetables? (doesn't sound right based on what the companies themselves have said, I think)...of course, there's also the issue of the first 3 all being multi-dose requirements, the fourth is the first to be a single dose...and were these doses the #'s exclusively for US distribution?

Sure would be good if this stuff was clearer.

What does seem apparent is that there's little to no chance that any of these will be approved in October, hopefully late November or December, if all goes well. And that'll be for limited usage not full population.

I wasn't happy with Redfield on a whole bunch of questions, quite mealy mouthed about all the communications issues out of CDC, clearly because of political influences, not straight science. But he's clearly walking a tightrope to keep the WH at bay while trying to do a decent job from a public health perspective...but that political pressure is clearly massive. I also thought his answer to the Senator from Wyoming about "equitable" distribution to rural areas given the intensive refrigeration requirements for the first vaccine candidates was quite weak...it's clear that the Administration is again pushing everything down to the states and not giving them a clear roadmap of who they should execute it given their varying issues. And what the heck does "equitable" even mean in a world of scarce resources at the outset. what will the priorities in distribution actually be and who will be vaccinated first?

Again, it seems like they're pushing this down to the states, just like the FUBAR with testing and PPE.
i went back thru redfield's statements earlier and after my post.

i believe while referencing their write up... went thru 2 scenarios/vaccines, which seem to ascribe to pfizer and moderna as the lead candidates/hopefuls at first...
pfizer - 2 to 3 mill in oct, 20-30 million in both nov and dec.
moderna - 26 million by year end.

that also fits with 75 mill by year end from fauci, each are double doses.

the april/ 3rd quarter are way off.

the others in warp speed are right behind if they work. j&j announced 3rd stage starting today and novavax will be in a month or 2. azn? is in 3rd trials now.

they were commenting on u.s. doses, or at least i can't imagine they weren't. and recall pfizer ceo said they'd have 100 mill by year end.

as far as distribution, i don't think anyone can guess whether that will go better, as, or worse than expected. mckesson has been hired to get it done from the private sector, with aid on cross regulatory issues to get cleaned up by the levels of gov't. you have to expect guidance will be out there for who goes 1st from both feds and states. outside of elites sneaking in, i wouldn't see there would be as many problems as the bluster.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:58 pm 200,000 = "virtually nobody"...
So you are agreeing with the scientist? Guess that means either Fauci was, and still is covering for Trump or they need to stop playing stupid talking points and blaming this on Trump. Either way......the "scientist" told us this was going to happen.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:55 pm W EU going back into lock down. Same complaints on BBC, DW & France24 as heard on MSNBC, ...just no Trump to blame.
What are you talking about?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:26 pm
So you are agreeing with the scientist? Guess that means either Fauci was, and still is covering for Trump or they need to stop playing stupid talking points and blaming this on Trump. Either way......the "scientist" told us this was going to happen.
Hah! You give “in the bag” special meaning. My guess is Matnum doesn’t agree at all.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

The POTUS should never refer to the recent death of 200K americans as virtually nobody...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:30 pm
The POTUS should never refer to the recent death of 200K americans as virtually nobody...
I interpreted your post as blaming trump for the 200k number....not his numbskull comment.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:35 pm
I interpreted your post as blaming trump for the 200k number....not his numbskull comment.
Who has had Trump is to blame for all the deaths? Trump is blamed for mismanaging the crisis. You know, lying about it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:35 pm
Who has had Trump is to blame for all the deaths? Trump is blamed for mismanaging the crisis. You know, lying about it.
Ask Doc for one....he only has about 30 posts on it.... Mr. Helper
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”