SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Peter Brown »

smoova wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am so...expect the Dems, if/when they win the Senate and WH, to dramatically exercise their power to address all of the aspects of the system which disadvantage their interests politically.

There are no norms and precedents that will be sacrosanct.
This is the most unfortunate consequence of Trump's presidency and the GOP's unflinching support thereof: it's given Democrats a playbook for how to act when they're in full control.

We see perfectly well how Democrats 'act when they're in full control': one need only take a gander at Baltimore, Chicago, Portland, or Seattle to envision the he!!scape that democrats leave behind. Here, just yesterday we could see that:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020 ... n-violence
smoova

Post by smoova »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:07 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 am so...expect the Dems, if/when they win the Senate and WH, to dramatically exercise their power to address all of the aspects of the system which disadvantage their interests politically.

This is the most unfortunate consequence of Trump's presidency and the GOP's unflinching support thereof: it's given Democrats a playbook for how to act when they're in full control.

We see perfectly well how Democrats 'act when they're in full control': one need only take a gander at Baltimore, Chicago, Portland, or Seattle to envision the he!!scape that democrats leave behind. Here, just yesterday we could see that:

Yep - pucker up Buttercup!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

smoova wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:10 pm

Like locusts, most leftists are devoid of any positive byproduct, stripping economies of all vitality just by the very fact that they are alive and possess a brain-dead insect's hard-wired instincts to eat, reproduce, and defecate.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:07 pm We see perfectly well how Democrats 'act when they're in full control': one need only take a gander at Baltimore, Chicago, Portland, or Seattle to envision the he!!scape that democrats leave behind. Here, just yesterday we could see that:
Four of the greatest cities in the world, Pete.

This is right up there with that idiot who claimed if Hillary was elected, we'd have taco trucks on every corner.

Oh no! Not tacos!!! :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

ggait wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:39 pm
But I don't expect others to wear them.
Honest question. Why do you think this makes sense?

Because the mask is about not harming others. Not protecting yourself.

Smoking cigs, for example, is a personal choice for which the user assumes the risk and accepts the consequences.

Refusing to wear a mask is more like second hand smoke. Or driving drunk or driving 150 MPH. Situations where your personal right/choice externalizes the risk/consequences to others. That's not WWJD.
It is NOT WWJD. But I feel like protecting myself and my family is mostly my responsibility.

Dont put yourself in bad situations. Just like I wont take my kids trick or treating on Greenmount, Baltimore, I'm not going around or intentionally being around those without masks.

My assumption is that there will be lots of people out there who are to stubborn, dumb or that accept the risk. We try not to.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:16 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:07 pm We see perfectly well how Democrats 'act when they're in full control': one need only take a gander at Baltimore, Chicago, Portland, or Seattle to envision the he!!scape that democrats leave behind. Here, just yesterday we could see that:
Four of the greatest cities in the world, Pete.

This is right up there with that idiot who claimed if Hillary was elected, we'd have taco trucks on every corner.

Oh no! Not tacos!!! :lol:

I'm not sure they are "GREAT" cities for everyone, a fan, or do you forget about these kinds of folks?:

Windy City:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootin ... s/6478091/

Charm City:

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/09/ ... st-sunday/

The City of Roses:

https://www.kptv.com/news/businesses-st ... bb29f.html

Emerald City:

https://komonews.com/news/project-seatt ... 09-17-2020
smoova

Post by smoova »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Like locusts, most leftists are devoid of any positive byproduct, stripping economies of all vitality just by the very fact that they are alive and possess a brain-dead insect's hard-wired instincts to eat, reproduce, and defecate.
Good, good, let the hate flow through you.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

smoova wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Why? I don't hate locusts; I don't even think of them. Same for Dems (unless asked or prompted first).
smoova

Post by smoova »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:34 pm
smoova wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Why? I don't hate locusts; I don't even think of them. Same for Dems (unless asked or prompted first).
Of course. Carry on.
njbill

Post by njbill »

The big constitutional mistake McConnell made with Garland is that he refused to allow hearings and a vote. To my mind, that was illegal. The constitution required the Senate to advise and consent. McConnell illegally blocked the Senate from doing so.

Had McConnell allowed hearings and a vote, and had Garland then been voted down, the system would have “worked” in that the Senate would have done it’s job.

I always wondered why McConnell didn’t allow there to be a vote. Back then, Garland needed 60 votes. It is hard for me to imagine that enough Republicans would have crossed over to vote for him, particularly if McConnell was beating on them to vote “no.”

The large majority of supreme court justices have been approved overwhelmingly if they were qualified, regardless of whether they were conservative or liberal.

McConnell’s Garland ploy may mean that from now on, a justice will only be approved if the same party holds the presidency and the Senate. That would not be a good thing for the court or the country.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm The big constitutional mistake McConnell made with Garland is that he refused to allow hearings and a vote. To my mind, that was illegal. The constitution required the Senate to advise and consent. McConnell illegally blocked the Senate from doing so.

Had McConnell allowed hearings and a vote, and had Garland then been voted down, the system would have “worked” in that the Senate would have done it’s job.

I always wondered why McConnell didn’t allow there to be a vote. Back then, Garland needed 60 votes. It is hard for me to imagine that enough Republicans would have crossed over to vote for him, particularly if McConnell was beating on them to vote “no.”

The large majority of supreme court justices have been approved overwhelmingly if they were qualified, regardless of whether they were conservative or liberal.

McConnell’s Garland ploy may mean that from now on, a justice will only be approved if the same party holds the presidency and the Senate. That would not be a good thing for the court or the country.
Yep.
And you had better get used to your last sentence because that is how the future looks to be.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm The big constitutional mistake McConnell made with Garland is that he refused to allow hearings and a vote. To my mind, that was illegal. The constitution required the Senate to advise and consent. McConnell illegally blocked the Senate from doing so.

Yep.
And you had better get used to your last sentence because that is how the future looks to be.
I think we're likely to see the Court expanded first, then that'll indeed be the likely pattern from there...unless these partisans get their act together and come up with a Constitutional Amendment that says otherwise, locked in.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

maybe you should have begged Harry Reid not to put the nuclear option into law first.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:56 pm

maybe you should have begged Harry Reid not to put the nuclear option into law first.
It wasn't ' into law', Petey, but the elimination of the filibuster for most judicial appointments other than SCOTUS was indeed a step along this path to putting raw power over consensus. The GOP had worked tirelessly to achieve heavy conservative representation and had declared all Obama appointees DOA, so Reid went down that road. I thought it was a horrible outcome of McConnell AND Reid abandoning consensus as a governing philosophy, but it was indeed part of this ugly path we've been on. I'm the opposite of a Reid fan, but he and McConnell were two peas in a pod.

The Garland ploy then went way, way beyond the pale, not even allowing a hearing and a vote, and set the stage for what's going to happen when the power shifts, with the naked abuse of power and rank hypocrisy of McConnell and crew revealed for all to see.

Payback is going to be brutal and it won't be possible to argue, credibly, that it isn't deserved.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

+1

He can spin it all he wants, but the truth is what you have written. There is no precedent for what McConnell did. In the end however I blame Obama and the democrats. They should have created a constitutional crises by playing the, "no hearing, no vote, you have given your consent" and Obama seated him. Make SCOTUS deal with it. The democrats just play too nice sometimes. That must end.

Apparently the dems are considering impeachment, of Barr, or Trump which would put a halt on all other business. This would definitely move the vote until after the election.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Actually, I don't think so...the Senate can kill that with a quick vote to acquit.

Wishful thinking.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:35 pm
ggait wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:20 pm
WRITE THE FN LAW THEN VOTE ON IT. INSTEAD OF TRYING TO DESTROY THE CONSTITUTION AND THE CULTURE JUST SO YOU CAN KILL BABIES.
I agree. But be careful what you wish for.

Like RBG, I think Roe v. Wade was bad law,** and even worse public policy. RvW has been a political albatross for the Dems for 50 years and a boon to the GOP -- enabling them to talk the pro life talk without having to walk the walk.

Worst thing for the GOP would be for RvW to be over-turned. The GOP and their realpolitik justices know better than to go there. Because (with strong majorities in favor of legal abortion) the blow back would be unbearable. TBD if future justice Barrett is smart enough to continue the current course -- leave RvW nominally on the books as "precedent", but practically over-rule it with incremental death by a thousand cuts as allowed by Casey v. PP.

IMO, would have been better to just let the politics play out. Abortion (and guns) would of course still be available across the country, but to differing degrees. Utah -- few abortions; more guns. CA -- more abortions; fewer guns.

Would have been soooooo much easier and productive for pro choice advocates to organize and raise money to help women in the Utahs get the contraception and abortion services that are not easily available locally. George Soros could pay for that out of his couch cushion change. And the GOP would actually have to own the consequences of their stated agenda.

**Heller v. DC is equally bad law. An activist judge making stuff up and over-reaching in order to reach the desired policy outcome. EXACTLY the same thing as Roe v. wade. EXACTLY. Both have to be wrong or right -- it can't be one and one.

P.S. In the future, the GOP will increasingly exercise its shrinking power through activist judging. They increasingly have to cling to those pieces of our system that allow a motivated minority to defeat the growing majority -- vote suppression, gerrymandering, the Electoral College (at least until TX goes blue), federal courts, and rurally over-weighted the U.S. Senate (KS gets two; CA gets two). The Senate/SCOTUS alliance is a cornerstone.
+1. Good post, falling on a few sets of deaf ears.
I agree it is a good post, but I am going to respectfully dissent in part. ;)

I think Ginsburg agreed with the result in a Roe, but not the rationale. Roe is largely premised on the constitutional right to privacy. I think Ginsburg thought it should have been based on equal protection, that is, the law should give women the same right to control their bodies as it gives men. What other laws were there that dictated to men what they could do with their bodies?

Interestingly to me, it does not appear that Ginsburg was involved in Roe even though she was a leading women’s rights advocate at the time. I wonder why that is.

I agree with Ginsburg that equal protection would have been a better rationale for Roe, and also with her that the result is correct constitutionally.

I think Heller is an entirely different case. In that one, Scalia invented an individual constitutional right out of whole cloth that didn’t exist, and had never existed, since the constitution was first ratified.

Stevens’ dissent exquisitely spells out in detail the reasons why Scalia was wrong.

To me, the most common sense and logical reason the second amendment does not apply to individual gun ownership is that back in the late 1700s, no one thought the citizens’ “right” to bear arms needed protection in the constitution. It was simply assumed that everyone could own a gun. No need to put it in the constitution.

Well, times changed and society’s views of gun ownership changed so that that fundamental societal understanding from over 200 years ago no longer applied. Restricting and even forbidding gun ownership became more popular in certain areas. Legislatures passed laws.

Those favoring gun rights pushed back. When they lost out in state legislatures, some “genius” decided to make a second amendment argument. Scalia, a noted gun enthusiast though a subpar marksman, lapped up the argument like a kitten attacking a bowl of milk. He was able to persuade four other justices and Heller was the result.

Scalia claimed to be an originalist. But his decisions were as outcome determinative as those of the most liberal justices. He interpreted the second amendment to include an individual right that was never intended by the framers to be in the constitution. A true originalist would never have done that.

A footnote to history is that if Al Gore had become president in 2001, and had he been reelected in 2004, he would have appointed the two justices who turned out to be Roberts and Alito, both of whom were in the majority in Heller. So if Gore had been president, Heller likely would’ve been decided the other way.

Will the court overrule Heller down the road? Maybe, but I don’t forsee that happening unless the Dems end up packing the court.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:17 pm Actually, I don't think so...the Senate can kill that with a quick vote to acquit.

Wishful thinking.
About the only thing pro-Republican I have ever seen you post...turning a corner are ya? ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:17 pm Actually, I don't think so...the Senate can kill that with a quick vote to acquit.

Wishful thinking.
About the only thing pro-Republican I have ever seen you post...turning a corner are ya? ;)
:lol: :roll:
I only oppose the Trumpist GOP Cult, I say nice things all the time about anti-Trumpist R's...

But the post above was neither pro-Republican or anti-Democrat, or vice versa. It's just how the rules actually work, at least as I understand them.

If you asked me whether Trump or Barr deserves impeachment, I'd say yes, but it's a fruitless exercise in terms of delaying tactics.

This looks to me to be a done deal, but the GOP is going to reap the whirlwind.

If you went way back to my earliest posts about why I felt Trumpism was so dangerous to the GOP long-term, you'd perhaps understand that my opposition was in large part (beyond my moral horror) about the damage it would do to having a viable conservative-leaning party over the next two decades.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:56 pm maybe you should have begged Harry Reid not to put the nuclear option into law first.
Maybe you should have begged Moscow Mitch not to unreasonably block all of Obama’s judicial appointments which forced Harry to invoke the nuclear option.

All of this circles back to Mitch. All of it.

Return to “POLITICS”