SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: SCOTUS

Post by runrussellrun »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:52 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:43 pm Notice how no one has answered my question about the last NON-ivy law grad to be a Supreme. Can't Hurray love, you know.
Don’t know if he was the last one, but he was one of them. That Hugo Black, ex-KKK member.

How many fanlax dollars do I win?
You could have the best Thanksgiving evah. crop should be ready by then.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
njbill

Post by njbill »

So the actual answer to your question is Sandra Day O’Connor, or as John Riggins called her, Sandy baby.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Without googling, I came up with Rhenquist (Stanford), O'Connor (Stanford), Stevens (Northwestern), Thurgood Marshall (Howard).

Google added Powell (W&L), Burger (St. Paul Law), Warren (Berkeley).
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 pm Without googling, I came up with Rhenquist (Stanford), O'Connor (Stanford), Stevens (Northwestern), Thurgood Marshall (Howard).

Google added Powell (W&L), Burger (St. Paul Law), Warren (Berkeley).
Other than Howard, those are all Ivy League Schools in R3 mind.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Gardner and Grassley jump on board. No surprise.

Looking like a done deal even if Romney, Collins and Murkowski hold out. Kelly probably can't get sworn in fast enough to keep Pence from casting the 51st vote.

If the WH and Senate flip, the well deserved retaliation may come in 2021.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
njbill

Post by njbill »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 pm So the actual answer to your question is Sandra Day O’Connor, or as John Riggins called her, Sandy baby.
Oops. Wrong again.

The correct answer is John Paul Stevens. He retired in 2010. O’Connor retired in 2006. Embarrassing because he should certainly be in the forefront of my memory as he was put on the court during my first year in law school, replacing William O. Douglas.

It was a big deal for a few reasons. For one, it seemed at the time that an extreme liberal was being replaced by a moderately conservative Republican. Stevens never moved as far left as Douglas, but he certainly moved left. Also, Douglas did not, shall we say, go quietly into the night. Even though he had retired from the court, he tried to stick around and continue to act as a justice.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:57 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:10 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 amSo sure, she’s probably up in heaven looking for Scalia... :?
Yeah, that's cute, but she should be looking a little farther south to find THAT guy...speaking of being condescending to attorneys before the SCOTUS... :twisted:

<<<sarcasm font on and turned up>>>

Nothing cute about sanctioning the death of that many fetuses.
Right. Nothing cute either about Republicans watching silently as the expanding Trump-fueled pandemic has led directly to thousands upon thousands of American deaths. The “Pro Life Party” my arse...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Saw an interesting discussion about expanding the court, it would actually make the court more stable and allow the court to handle more cases per year. Run it like a circuit where it is not uncommon to have high teens or more justices. Lawyers could not be certain of which justices would hear their case, picked randomly.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

It appears like Moscow Mitch has the votes even if Romney opts out unless there is another Senator in the closet on the vote that nobody knows about (although this might not work in the lame duck where Mark Kelly could replace McSally in AZ (she is now toast)). Gardner (CO) just came out for a vote so he is also likely toast for re-election. Collins in Maine is also on the same path. Grassley being the weasel he is flipped as expected. The ultimate payback would be Graham losing in SC or Moscow losing in KY but still think that is a stretch but less of one in SC. That said, could be looking like a bloodbath for the GOP like what happened to the Dems in 1994 where a sitting SoH (Tom Foley) lost a bid for re-election and the GOP flipped the House for the first time in over 40 years.

The calculation looks like flipping the court is worth losing the majority in the Senate and betting that the Dems won't go for a a plan to expand the court to negate that.

No idea why they are going for a repeal of ACA without a plan to replace it but I guess that is what you get when you elect STUPID to run the country. :oops:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 amSo sure, she’s probably up in heaven looking for Scalia... :?
Yeah, that's cute, but she should be looking a little farther south to find THAT guy...speaking of being condescending to attorneys before the SCOTUS... :twisted:

Right. Nothing cute either about Republicans watching silently as the expanding Trump-fueled pandemic has led directly to thousands upon thousands of American deaths. The “Pro Life Party” my arse...

Whattaboutism much?

Stay on topic. We were talking about Notorious here, Dis.

Besides. 200K deaths is chump change.

There were 623,000 abortions LAST YEAR ALONE. Peep the stats my yellow friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_ ... ted_States
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Not sure why we allow our third pillar of our Republics governance to remain so ineffective. Are the Supremes in legal pergatory b/c they have an even number of Justice's? Are they reading and reviewing cases? Hearing cases. This is like having not enough members of Congress around to have a vote, for months and months. Same for the POTUSA, not being available to sign bills.

Why do we tolerate the Supremes to NOT conduct the nations business?

Also, most US citizens have a better chance of winning a mega jackpot lottery than having their case accepted by the Supremes. Yet, we rarely bat an eye when people like Keganaugh get placed on Circuit benchs, or other Federal appointments. Same for all these whack job Judges that constantly let criminals back out on the streets. look no further than the bailout (gee, whom did that :roll: ) of the accused west coast wild fire arsonist.

ooppss....whats that? Never heard that a few people got arrested for ARSON in the Oregon wildfires? Eco-terrorism is real.....but, move along, anything to get rid of tRump.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Yeah, the point is clearly...that the claims the republicon party has been making about their "concern for life" for decades so they can, once again, con the flyover rubes into keeping them in power...are just more of the sauce the Con Man is barking at us every day. Like he could give a shirt about evangelicals and all the other bible thumpers that think judges are the existential issue of our day. Overturn Roe and you will REALLY see a civil war break out. Republicons might never see elected office again. How many evangelicals do you think are just fine with the idea that a corporation is a person? They're just peachy with Citizens United? There's a reason the Con and the republic party do so well with uneducated citizens...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Aren't you then proving that voting in a new person is a nothing burger? Then why make a stink about it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

I'll give you a chance to deny it, ya...do you support the tactics Mitch McConnell uses and has used in the case of SCOTUS nominations? You support Lindsey Graham and what he's been saying, then and now? Do you recognize the rank hypocrisy in these two idiots?

Then tell me how you think it would be dumb for the Dems to retaliate... rinse, repeat...

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am Aren't you then proving that voting in a new person is a nothing burger? Then why make a stink about it.
Because most of us don't actually want a 'civil war'.

That's what Putin wants, not most of us on here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 am

Whattaboutism much?

Did you really mean that 200k deaths is "chump change"???

Even if we were to accept that abortions = "deaths", surely 200K deaths headed to 300k, worst death rate and worst economic impact in developed world, ain't "chump change", right?

Or are you so 'all in' with the Trump CULT that you actually think it's "virtually nobody"???

The point that was made is that a large portion of the GOP has claimed that it is the "Pro Life" party yet there are those in the Trump GOP who think older people or those who have underlying conditions or just unlucky people are worthless and not to be considered "life" worth caring for.

And now we have Der Leader talking about DNA...and people cheer...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 am

Whattaboutism much?

Did you really mean that 200k deaths is "chump change"???

Even if we were to accept that abortions = "deaths", surely 200K deaths headed to 300k, worst death rate and worst economic impact in developed world, ain't "chump change", right?

Or are you so 'all in' with the Trump CULT that you actually think it's "virtually nobody"???

The point that was made is that a large portion of the GOP has claimed that it is the "Pro Life" party yet there are those in the Trump GOP who think older people or those who have underlying conditions or just unlucky people are worthless and not to be considered "life" worth caring for.

And now we have Der Leader talking about DNA...and people cheer...

Even when he knows he's posting factually incorrect information, MD continues to use a false quote. Trump's use of "virtually nobody" refers to those under the age of 18. I realize this won't stop you and other TDS-addled from the spiels you post daily, but I thought for others they might prefer honesty, I'm here to help.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:17 am I'll give you a chance to deny it, ya...do you support the tactics Mitch McConnell uses and has used in the case of SCOTUS nominations? You support Lindsey Graham and what he's been saying, then and now? Do you recognize the rank hypocrisy in these two idiots?

Then tell me how you think it would be dumb for the Dems to retaliate... rinse, repeat...

So you want to hang on Mitch and Lindsey and I'd argue ...."the sitting president fills the seat", it is not that complicated. Mitch was just following the Reid Rule, your side started it. ;)

Negative people need drama.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"Sitting President"?!? Do you hear yourself talking? The McConnell Rule you mean? That was the big change...right? 10 months before the election and no hearing, no vote?

Return to “POLITICS”