Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:17 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 pm Win, and the recruiting pipeline will get better from all directions.

JUST WIN.
Agree completely.

Winning will take care of lots of issues.

Recruiting? Yes, winning will fix any issues with recruiting.

Purported student apathy? Winning will fix that, too.

Don’t know what all the hubbub is about. Blue Jays are plenty talented. They did well during the recent “free agent” sweepstakes. Recent recruits for 2022 look outstanding.

If the 2021 season moves forward (and I suspect it will), Blue Jays should be a solid top-tenish team. Only effort and execution will tell how far they go.

DocBarrister 8-)
According to Ty and In$wag lacro$$e, via their fanlax waterboy 16, Johns Hopkins does NOT have a recruiting problem.. Why are you arguing against Hop16's recruiting knowledge. Everything is perfect in that regard. And, after Bloomberg puts assault guns in the hands of campus security........Baltimore will be safe for all the students :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Huh? Did I hear a mouse fart?

MouseFartingRRR
MouseFartingRRR
895C4E13-D90E-45D8-BE38-C49C55A9EA68.jpeg (62.68 KiB) Viewed 2274 times

See how well that Ignore button works?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 am Huh? Did I hear a mouse fart?

895C4E13-D90E-45D8-BE38-C49C55A9EA68.jpeg

Larry QUIN

Keep on ignoring people........who corrected his name on the Hopkins website?

more cat pictures, please. or , put another way, .......
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:14 pm

If it was actually a serious question, I'd say that with rare exceptions, the title most frequently is won by the team that happens to have the best senior class,
Well, we can also say MSJ won't make the playoffs and I say this as an MSJ alum. I believe the last time they did, Kevin Beach was on the team and basically put the team on his back to get them into the playoffs in 1989 or 1990 back in the MSA days though I could be wrong and one of the Munford teams made the MIAA playoffs.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I truly wouldn't have a clue as to what this argument is about

In other news - maybe I am wrong - Petro to host 5 Star Lacrosse Camp in December at IMG. LOL
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am I truly wouldn't have a clue as to what this argument is about

In other news - maybe I am wrong - Petro to host 5 Star Lacrosse Camp in December at IMG. LOL
He's been quite active working with Cottle on a bunch of recruiting events this summer. Seems like a good way for the big guy to scratch the coaching itch in a less stressful environment while waiting for a real job to open up (assuming he's still interested). But yeah, definitely a bit strange to see.

I've wondered if his presence at all these events has any impact on our recruiting—if so it's probably negligible but I can't decide if it helps to have him out there as another high-profile, well-liked (former) representative of the program or if his presence is a reminder to those who wish he still were the coach that he isn't anymore. Again—probably doesn't change the equation much if at all in either direction but as far as I know it's a fairly unique circumstance having a guy so freshly removed from his longtime post out there on the recruiting circuit. Cottle is out there yes but it's been a decade since he was coaching at Maryland. I know Sowell was working an event this year. But nothing exactly like Petro's situation that I'm aware of.

Long overdue that I hit the ignore button on RRR/fatty. Thanks for the reminder Wombat. At least PineSt could type in something that resembled the English language.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:49 am I truly wouldn't have a clue as to what this argument is about

He's been quite active working with Cottle on a bunch of recruiting events this summer. Seems like a good way for the big guy to scratch the coaching itch in a less stressful environment while waiting for a real job to open up (assuming he's still interested). But yeah, definitely a bit strange to see.

I've wondered if his presence at all these events has any impact on our recruiting—if so it's probably negligible but I can't decide if it helps to have him out there as another high-profile, well-liked (former) representative of the program or if his presence is a reminder to those who wish he still were the coach that he isn't anymore. Again—probably doesn't change the equation much if at all in either direction but as far as I know it's a fairly unique circumstance having a guy so freshly removed from his longtime post out there on the recruiting circuit. Cottle is out there yes but it's been a decade since he was coaching at Maryland. I know Sowell was working an event this year. But nothing exactly like Petro's situation that I'm aware of.

Long overdue that I hit the ignore button on RRR/fatty. Thanks for the reminder Wombat. At least PineSt could type in something that resembled the English language.
Why focus on just one coach? What about Dwan and the other coach? What jobs do they have? :roll:

Or, is this just an advertizement for IMG.
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:14 am Huh? Did I hear a mouse fart?

That's awesome!! I didn't know I could do that. Thanks for the tip!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

viper wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:37 am

That's awesome!! I didn't know I could do that. Thanks for the tip!
I've lost interest in this blog as other things like family, work, life have resumed and as ocanada said there hasn't been any lacrosse news, so I am kind of shocked I didn't earn that honor back in the day. I'm sure I'll get there in a few weeks if we don't play next spring and our rivals do. I frankly think the decision of whether to play next spring will be forced on the school as the acc and b1g show if its feasible to play sports.

I congratulate all our rivals on hoarding all of the apples of xanders eyes but after watching a decade plus of elite kids flame out I'm just not that ready to rage about it. I'm missing hoponboards videos from this time of year, the stupid jersey mischief, the mustache pictures, your intrepid eagle eyed reports of fall ball, but we'll get there again.
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

Did anyone notice that the freshmen goalie is no longer on the roster? Anyone have insight into what happened? Now down to 4 goalies which is more manageable.

I keep seeing other schools running practices on Twitter. Are Hopkins lax players still not allowed to practice or use the locker room and field?

I am having trouble finding the Ernie interview that was mentioned on Monday does anyone have the link?

I hope/expect Hop to surprise people this year with their performance under the new coaches on offense and d-fense. Should be exciting to watch them play and look forward to a Memorial Day weekend of watching them play in the final 4 over the next few years (<4). Yes an eternal optimist.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm I keep seeing other schools running practices on Twitter. Are Hopkins lax players still not allowed to practice or use the locker room and field?
They are not allowed to use Homewood facilities or officially practice as a team, but some are still in Baltimore working out together. Milliman has been in Baltimore for awhile now (Koesterer too of course), and I believe Junior moved in last week. It's obviously no one's idea of an ideal situation but it is what it is. Far from the only program without an official fall ball but expectations for the winter/spring need to be tempered given the circumstances. Last I heard the goal was still to bring everyone back officially in January.
Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pmI am having trouble finding the Ernie interview that was mentioned on Monday does anyone have the link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIQngxRphA
Men's lacrosse section is from about 1hr19 to 1hr49
Spoiler alert: Cole's hair is returning
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm Did anyone notice that the freshmen goalie is no longer on the roster? Anyone have insight into what happened? Now down to 4 goalies which is more manageable.

I keep seeing other schools running practices on Twitter. Are Hopkins lax players still not allowed to practice or use the locker room and field?

I am having trouble finding the Ernie interview that was mentioned on Monday does anyone have the link?

I hope/expect Hop to surprise people this year with their performance under the new coaches on offense and d-fense. Should be exciting to watch them play and look forward to a Memorial Day weekend of watching them play in the final 4 over the next few years (<4). Yes an eternal optimist.
What was the goalies name? With Kirson having a couple of years of eligibility it may have been a smart move to move on.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pm I keep seeing other schools running practices on Twitter. Are Hopkins lax players still not allowed to practice or use the locker room and field?
They are not allowed to use Homewood facilities or officially practice as a team, but some are still in Baltimore working out together. Milliman has been in Baltimore for awhile now (Koesterer too of course), and I believe Junior moved in last week. It's obviously no one's idea of an ideal situation but it is what it is. Far from the only program without an official fall ball but expectations for the winter/spring need to be tempered given the circumstances. Last I heard the goal was still to bring everyone back officially in January.
Laxsmitty wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 pmI am having trouble finding the Ernie interview that was mentioned on Monday does anyone have the link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIQngxRphA
Men's lacrosse section is from about 1hr19 to 1hr49
Spoiler alert: Cole's hair is returning
After 2-6 and getting their coach fired, veterans should've organized a return to campus, training and playing effort for the fall/spring. They know their rivals at other schools are out there and for many of them next spring is their last season anyway. They already get preferred admission and in many cases $. This was a gut check about pride and leadership.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:49 pm After 2-6 and getting their coach fired, veterans should've organized a return to campus, training and playing effort for the fall/spring. They know their rivals at other schools are out there and for many of them next spring is their last season anyway. They already get preferred admission and in many cases $. This was a gut check about pride and leadership.
LOL. This is the exact type of comment that gives our fan base such a bad reputation.

200,000 people in this country have died. Not everyone's priority is to have a regular fall ball program in the middle of a pandemic. Players are training in small groups and meeting with the coaches every day on Zoom.

Also how do you know veteran players haven't tried doing the exact thing you demand? You don't actually know anyone associated with the program. For all you know they have organized team sessions in Baltimore. But forcing a non-Baltimore kid, especially an underclassman, to relocate under these circumstances for the express purpose of...having fall ball? That isn't leadership. That's lunacy.

Have you informed Kyle Harrison that you named him Ron Daniels' assistant yet?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 pm What was the goalies name? With Kirson having a couple of years of eligibility it may have been a smart move to move on.
DiMarsico - out of Shadyside Academy in Pittsburgh. While admittedly there could be many reasons why he is not on the roster anymore, having 4 goalies in front of him with theoretical 2/2/2/4 years of eligibility it is certainly reasonable to guess that had something to do with it. While the book isn't closed on Marcille yet - his struggles in the scrimmage last year was not a positive. Regardless - right now after 2 years we currently have only Marcille and Sgt. Friday in tow to man the cage - and young Mr. Webb hasn't even signed an NLI yet. This will have to be addressed and you would think some quality goalies might at least be interested in the job.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am

Well, Coach Petro needs to make a living. Feel badly for Coaches Benson and Dwan as well. Tough job market out there and I’m certain the bills haven’t stopped coming.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:17 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:32 pm What was the goalies name? With Kirson having a couple of years of eligibility it may have been a smart move to move on.
DiMarsico - out of Shadyside Academy in Pittsburgh. While admittedly there could be many reasons why he is not on the roster anymore, having 4 goalies in front of him with theoretical 2/2/2/4 years of eligibility it is certainly reasonable to guess that had something to do with it. While the book isn't closed on Marcille yet - his struggles in the scrimmage last year was not a positive. Regardless - right now after 2 years we currently have only Marcille and Sgt. Friday in tow to man the cage - and young Mr. Webb hasn't even signed an NLI yet. This will have to be addressed and you would think some quality goalies might at least be interested in the job.
That's too bad. He looked really good the few times I saw him.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Johns Hopkins lacrosse should be an immediate employable credential in/around lax community.

"Inside the Cordish Lacrosse Center at Johns Hopkins, there’s a sign that reads, “If you can’t find a way, make a way.” “It might not seem like there is an answer at the moment, but there is, you just have to work harder,” Pellegrino said about the phrase’s meaning and Pietramala advice."

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ramala-era

that line was a staple of Petro speak for his tenure. If every player on that roster is not in Baltimore training w/veterans maybe it's time for the folks who are writing their scholarship checks to ask if they're worth the $ and admissions to ask why it added a jock who is only a jock for half a year over a student who would be a student for the entire year. If you can't adhere to the motto on your wall, find another lockerroom.

Judging from the crowds on tv last season and in recent seasons, my reaction would be "what fan base". Parents of current players, alums of the program-and some of them aren't on board right now. Certainly not students the last of which who saw a title jhu team in their tenure graduated nearly a decade ago. If you're an under 20 hopkins lacrosse fan, you're an under 30 canadiens hockey fan, an under 15 yankees fan, an under 35 notre dame fan. The winning tradition is something you've never watched, tasted, felt, seen, sensed, celebrated. To you it's gilligans island reruns, car phones, be kind please rewind, styrofoam big mac containers, pro choice republicans. When Milliman was hired the only disgruntlement I saw or heard was petro pals frustrated he wasn't allowed to choose his way out, and a few of us here. In the student paper in contrast I've seen years of student protests over hop cops.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Suspect jhu06 is RunRusselRun before the pipe is lit
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:53 pm -Johns Hopkins lacrosse should be an immediate employable credential in/around lax community.

"Inside the Cordish Lacrosse Center at Johns Hopkins, there’s a sign that reads, “If you can’t find a way, make a way.” “It might not seem like there is an answer at the moment, but there is, you just have to work harder,” Pellegrino said about the phrase’s meaning and Pietramala advice."

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... ramala-era

that line was a staple of Petro speak for his tenure. If every player on that roster is not in Baltimore training w/veterans maybe it's time for the folks who are writing their scholarship checks to ask if they're worth the $ and admissions to ask why it added a jock who is only a jock for half a year over a student who would be a student for the entire year. If you can't adhere to the motto on your wall, find another lockerroom.

Judging from the crowds on tv last season and in recent seasons, my reaction would be "what fan base". Parents of current players, alums of the program-and some of them aren't on board right now. Certainly not students the last of which who saw a title jhu team in their tenure graduated nearly a decade ago. If you're an under 20 hopkins lacrosse fan, you're an under 30 canadiens hockey fan, an under 15 yankees fan, an under 35 notre dame fan. The winning tradition is something you've never watched, tasted, felt, seen, sensed, celebrated. To you it's gilligans island reruns, car phones, be kind please rewind, styrofoam big mac containers, pro choice republicans. When Milliman was hired the only disgruntlement I saw or heard was petro pals frustrated he wasn't allowed to choose his way out, and a few of us here. In the student paper in contrast I've seen years of student protests over hop cops.
You've wanted to fire the guy for years, now that he's finally gone you think they have to continue going by his mantra? You'll forgive me if it seems like you're just complaining now for the sake of complaining.

In any case, they are "finding a way." They're training in groups or on their own and meeting over Zoom. That's where they are doing. Deal with it. They aren't going to find another locker room.

Hopkins was 6th in the country in average attendance this past season and that includes the mid-week MSM coronavirus game no one went to. They were third in attendance last year and fifth in 2018. They have had the second most interactions of any program in the country on social media this summer (link provided below). This thread has 3,000 posts, 500 of which are yours. Insofar as ANY D1 mens lacrosse programs have fan bases, Hopkins has one of the biggest by any metric you want to use. I don't really know what that has to do with anything, but it's a fact.

https://twitter.com/SkullSparks/status/ ... 4653690881

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”