All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment & The Truth

Post by runrussellrun »

wahoomurf wrote:“E pur si muove."---(And yet it moves.)

Galileo's purported utterance after torturers forced him to recant his theory that the earth orbits the sun.

I doubt TJT needed torture to dismiss the impartial SCIENCE-BASED findings delivered by a number of experts.Just another knee jerk denial by a guy who,in addition to knowing more than The Generals, runs rings around them Science wonks. In 2 weeks he'll announce he has cured cancer.

What a guy! :roll:
What the heck does HE have to do with global warming? the tds is strong with this one.

But, I am convinced. We need to stop using carbon based fuels. That includes using them to produce "renewables" Now what?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment & The Truth

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote:
wahoomurf wrote:“E pur si muove."---(And yet it moves.)

Galileo's purported utterance after torturers forced him to recant his theory that the earth orbits the sun.

I doubt TJT needed torture to dismiss the impartial SCIENCE-BASED findings delivered by a number of experts.Just another knee jerk denial by a guy who,in addition to knowing more than The Generals, runs rings around them Science wonks. In 2 weeks he'll announce he has cured cancer.

What a guy! :roll:
What the heck does HE have to do with global warming? the tds is strong with this one.

But, I am convinced. We need to stop using carbon based fuels. That includes using them to produce "renewables" Now what?
I will take reducing....doesn’t have to be elimination. Like gun control. We don’t need a complete ban...just something more reasonable....
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by runrussellrun »

More reasonable? Like what? After the holidays and conversing with all my millionare relatives......they convinced me we needed to take action now. NOW.

You want a "scaleback" ? What does this mean? You get to buy 20 gallons of gas each week?

Have heat imaging government types drive around, or better yet, use satellites, to make sure the water front home in Darien are at 62 degrees instead of 72, lest a HUGE fine?

It's laughable, you throw no action items into the mix.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

As I said on another thread, might want to avoid the rabbit hole TLD, it's Mad Hatter country down there.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:To me, the question that gets more interesting is what best to do to mediate or reverse such effects, at what cost, and what timetable?
Nailed it.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

global warming/greenhouse effect explained for those without science degree:

://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang ... c2e2fd32b1
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seriously's referenced Forbes article. Well worth the 10 minutes it takes to read it.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:As I said on another thread, might want to avoid the rabbit hole TLD, it's Mad Hatter country down there.
Turtles all the way down!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

I am serious, I am convinced that CO2 emissions are causing the earth to get warmer. Now what? What do I do?

More important, what do WE do?

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do ... te-change/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmaho ... c1dd6c680c

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2012/03/ ... ange/1562/

I am not really seeing how these will help, but am willing to implement them icon_puke
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote:Seriously's referenced Forbes article. Well worth the 10 minutes it takes to read it.
That is a very simple article that answers a very simple question. Thanks for clearing up the link.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:I am serious, I am convinced that CO2 emissions are causing the earth to get warmer. Now what? What do I do?

More important, what do WE do?

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do ... te-change/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmaho ... c1dd6c680c

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2012/03/ ... ange/1562/

I am not really seeing how these will help, but am willing to implement them icon_puke
How about taking the initial step of reducing CO2 emissions where you can. (Not an all or nothing mentality).
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Fighting words?

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

The Gulf Stream and future climate change
A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting glaciers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

Teaching some fellow nautical types to prepare for a Gulf Stream crossing to Bimini, the simple concept of speed of the water. Who do we BELIEVE? book1
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:Fighting words?

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

The Gulf Stream and future climate change
A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting glaciers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

Teaching some fellow nautical types to prepare for a Gulf Stream crossing to Bimini, the simple concept of speed of the water. Who do we BELIEVE? book1
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.117 ... -17-0192.1
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting graphics within this tweet from Joe Bastardi: https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/stat ... 9900758017 This Tweet is a direct link to the grapics. https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/stat ... 5014489088
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Not clear what Bastardi's point is. Not clear why I should care about Bastardi's opinion. Sounds like an old argument about water vapor increase being a cause or effect. It is most definitely an effect, not a cause. Raise temperature and you get more water vapor which is a greenhouse gas. Increase water vapor and you get more heat retention. The problem with the water vapor as the cause of global warming is their is no mechanism for the initial sustained rise in temperatures. CO2 doesn't have that problem. Increase production of CO2 leads to more heat retention. Once you get the process started, then you start seeing more water vapor which helps to raise the temperature further. There are all kinds of greenhouse gases that work the same way. The scariest part of the greenhouse effect is how it can "run away". Once you increase the temperature initially, you increase the amount of the greenhouse gas, which further increases the temperature, which further increases the amount of the gas, etc. Global warming is a "positive feedback" system. Positive feedback systems in nature all have this characteristic, the ability to "run away". Its like an out of control nuclear reaction.

Water vapor is a more effective greenhouse gas than CO2 is. It just doesn't have the ability to jump start the process (initial temperature increase). Methane is the most effect greenhouse gas, it is 25 times more effective in producing heat retention than CO2 per unit volume. That is why all the talk about cow farts. More cows produce more methane. You increase the earth temperatures and start thawing permafrost, arctic tundra, and you release a lot more methane. Methane is not a primary cause of global warming, because the volume in the atmosphere is really small, much much much less than CO2.

The cause, the thing that starts the whole process is the increase in CO2. Stop producing the CO2 and after some period of time (process "relaxation time") the content of the other gases (water vapor) will decrease and temperatures will come down.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Read the first comment on that tweet.

And who is this guy, anyway? His twitter bio: "Lost in the Flood cousin of Jimmy the Saint. Riding headfirst into a hurricane and disappearing into a point. jessie is great. Boalsburg, Pa"

This is where you're getting your science? Really???
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Some of you claim no one can predict what is going to happen in the future. To which the scientists and engineers call "BS". We can't tell you whether or not it is going to rain next Tuesday, so how can we make claims 50, or 100 years out. What appears below are 27 facts, most of which are predictions, others just facts of what we have seen so far from "global warming". In my opinion it gives a very fair / realistic / no crying wolf picture of what lies a head. The predictions are based on the temperature rise (1.0 degrees C) to date and the assumption that we add another 0.5 degree C over the rest of the century. This assumes man does take action to mitigate the CO2 production rate compared to today. We don't increase CO2 at as quick a pace as we have in the last quarter of the 20th century. Assumes average volcanic activity, assumes the Sun doesn't swing much one way or the other, every other external influence is what it has been in the past. Largely the situation is in mans hands, not mother nature's, not the gods'. If man does take action and increasingly tries to limit CO2 production over the next century, but doesn't completely halt production. The picture is as follows. This picture is of locking in the so called 1.5 degree scenario, as it looks like we will not be able to avoid this.

If man does not take action, does not place a priority on addressing the problem, the future effects will be more serious than these. If man takes more serious action with much higher priority the future effects will be lessened -- but that is looking increasingly unlikely. This will require an effort beyond our wildest dreams to date. Make no mistake, man is in control of this situation, not mother nature and not the gods. THE BIGGEST UNCERTANTIY IN THESE PREDICTIONS IS OUR BEHAVIOR, our action or inaction! Mankind is less predictable than mother nature, or any god.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Cu77. That’s some Springsteen Science.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote:Some of you claim no one can predict what is going to happen in the future. To which the scientists and engineers call "BS". We can't tell you whether or not it is going to rain next Tuesday, so how can we make claims 50, or 100 years out. What appears below are 27 facts, most of which are predictions, others just facts of what we have seen so far from "global warming". In my opinion it gives a very fair / realistic / no crying wolf picture of what lies a head. The predictions are based on the temperature rise (1.0 degrees C) to date and the assumption that we add another 0.5 degree C over the rest of the century. This assumes man does take action to mitigate the CO2 production rate compared to today. We don't increase CO2 at as quick a pace as we have in the last quarter of the 20th century. Assumes average volcanic activity, assumes the Sun doesn't swing much one way or the other, every other external influence is what it has been in the past. Largely the situation is in mans hands, not mother nature's, not the gods'. If man does take action and increasingly tries to limit CO2 production over the next century, but doesn't completely halt production. The picture is as follows. This picture is of locking in the so called 1.5 degree scenario, as it looks like we will not be able to avoid this.

If man does not take action, does not place a priority on addressing the problem, the future effects will be more serious than these. If man takes more serious action with much higher priority the future effects will be lessened -- but that is looking increasingly unlikely. This will require an effort beyond our wildest dreams to date. Make no mistake, man is in control of this situation, not mother nature and not the gods. THE BIGGEST UNCERTANTIY IN THESE PREDICTIONS IS OUR BEHAVIOR, our action or inaction! Mankind is less predictable than mother nature, or any god.
Sorry 72, I could not get past the first sentence to already know everything that follows is all UN sheepdip. I didn't have to read it to know it has zero credibility. Hey at least you tried. IMO the UN is right up there with DJT in the credibility department. I will stick to common sense that still tells me that science can't predict what will happen in 50 or 100 years. Understanding the arrogance deeply imbedded in so many scientists I can understand why they would believe they think they have the power. In a strange way so many of these scientists share a common trait with DJT... ain't no way in hell you folks could ever admit the possibility that you could ever be wrong... :ugeek:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”