SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: SCOTUS

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:32 pm Next in line?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/se ... ourt-trump
At first blush, she sounds qualified to me. And she sounds like she was one hell of a teacher.

Only three years on the Federal bench is about the only weak spot I see....is that enough time to see if her rulings were overturned?

I can't find her dissenting opinions on a few cases cited by the press.

I have no opinion of her. Very happy Trump is going to appoint a woman. May be just a little on the young side. At least she is not one of the boys club crony types.
Like Booz Allen.....only Yale, Harvard or Columbia need apply.

She doesn't stand a chance........who knew Notre Dame had a law school :lol: :lol: What's next Suffolk nite school grads?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:20 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:32 pm Next in line?

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/se ... ourt-trump
At first blush, she sounds qualified to me. And she sounds like she was one hell of a teacher.

Only three years on the Federal bench is about the only weak spot I see....is that enough time to see if her rulings were overturned?

I can't find her dissenting opinions on a few cases cited by the press.

I have no opinion of her. Very happy Trump is going to appoint a woman. May be just a little on the young side. At least she is not one of the boys club crony types.
Like Booz Allen.....only Yale, Harvard or Columbia need apply.

She doesn't stand a chance........who knew Notre Dame had a law school :lol: :lol: What's next Suffolk nite school grads?

Her two adopted kids and husband:

ACB Fam.jpg
ACB Fam.jpg (216.75 KiB) Viewed 741 times

I can't wait to see the Fanlax Dems tell me how she's a monster.

That all said, I think it will be Barbara Lagoa, not Amy.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:05 am
foreverlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:53 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am
foreverlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:29 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 am Here’s the truth that no one wants to speak, which that was that RBG was an undistinguished jurist whose decisions simply justified whatever pre-existing liberal outcome she wanted. She wasn’t a genius or an innovator.

She was a obedient puppet for the liberal agenda.

(ks)
I agree with you Pete. I personally did not like RBG. My opinion of her came from listening to how she spoke down to lawyers arguing in front of her that she disagreed with. If RBG gave you one of her tongue lashings you knew from that point what her decision about your argument was going to be. She could be very mean and short tempered if she disagreed with you. That could be why her and Scalia got along so well? They both had a very gruff side that often came out when they were behind the bench.
Gotta say, not "liking" her because she is "mean"....really? Did deeper for a reason to not like someone, espcaily when that someone has pretty much zero impact on your day to day.

How about respect? Do you respect her for what she was able to accomplish, prior to SCOTUS?

You too Petey, you certanly respect what she was able to accomplish?
I apologize for having an opinion of the woman you disagree with. I was trying to be diplomatic about it. I will take off the gloves and tell it to you in very blunt terms. RBG was a grade A b***h on many occasions. I have no respect for the late RBG. That is only my opinion based on listening to her browbeat lawyers, normally lawyers of a conservative nature. Her nasty nature towards those lawyers she disagreed with makes me understand why she was a hero to the FLP who adored her so much. Those are the same FLP folks who disliked Scalia because of his abrasive demeanor towards lawyers that could not get to the point fast enough for him.
No apology required on this one. Didn't realize how much didn't care for her....I am surprise that you say it's because of her demeanor.
I think most folks here have never listened to these oral arguments. I have no problems with what RBGs politics were. She and Scalia could both be very abrasive if not bordering on verbally abusive towards some lawyers. Scalia was more impatient because he did not like lawyers beating around the bush. RBG really had a problem with some lawyers arguing in front of her that she disagreed with in principle. Those were only my observations. I am certain other folks here have a much different opinion. I am just one of those odd ducks who thought listening to these oral arguments late at was a fascinating window to how these judges think.
I've heard her speak dozens of times, for extended periods of time...not sure I have ever listened to a SCOTUS in session.

I find her to be off the charts smart, funny, and some one I'd love to share a meal. Same as Anton. I'm not trying to ball bust, you agreed with Petey about her lack of intellectual contributions...I knew I couldn't get him to engage. You just find her "off-putting" from your observations.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am
CU88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 am It always warmed my heart that RBG and Scalia were friends. I hope that she is up in heaven wondering where he is.

Fearless RBG.jpg
Given the nature of what our families went through in WW2, I always wondered how some Jewish people could be pro abortion. But to each their own.

So sure, she’s probably up in heaven looking for Scalia...

:?
You don't get it...Israel gives abortions away and we send them billions. We''ve been down this road as well.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:15 pm Yawn. Did I just hear a gnat fart?
Did you feel something warm in the seat of your pants that smelled funny? The answer would then be yes.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:58 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:39 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:31 am Not sure if this has been posted, but here are the comments of RBG's colleagues on the Court. Note especially Thomas' about her graciousness and civility.

https://time.com/5890873/supreme-court- ... urg-death/
Looking at the list of other justices she has served with, not one of them will get as big of a mention in the history books. I think it is under appreciated just how highly she is thought of by your average American woman. Saw my daughter yesterday. I was blown away when she and my wife, at lunch, began to rattle off a list of ways Ginsburg impacted their daily lives, brought about change that impacted them in their daily lives and their ability to accomplish the things they have. The change not as a member of SCOTUS, but the cases she won. The laws that discriminated against women, that she changed. This country was a very different place in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s for women, before Ginsburg.
really amazing what she did throughout her "2" careers. and the impact she had, still accelerating. especially noted with what she was up against with regard to society's norms and conventions and prejudices during those times, which are impossible to underestimate.
she was as much mlk as thurgood in making a movement.

Ginsbrug deserves respect for her career (lasting until 87) but that's about it. She was a Democratic judge not an American judge, full stop. She's not even being buried according to Jewish law; nope, the DNC and RBG agreed prior to her death that she would lie in state.

Politicians lying in state drives me bananas, and yes she was a politician. There isn't one significant decision in her career that you could not have pre-guessed a mile away. The only judges that even look at the US Constitution anymore are conservative judges, which is why every so often they vote against the state and not with their colleagues. Liberal judges vote as a clique, easily forecast, to appease their voters and not the law and definitely not America.

No offense to RBG, but she will be forgotten not remembered. She was not an intellectual and was not even a force. She voted like the DNC wanted her to vote. That does not make a 'great' judge, that makes a judge that Democrats salivate over. Sorry to dent your preferred RBG hagiography; you can cry to other posters.
"No American has ever done more than Justice Ginsburg to ensure equal justice under law for women."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:30 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 am
CU88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:33 am It always warmed my heart that RBG and Scalia were friends. I hope that she is up in heaven wondering where he is.

Fearless RBG.jpg
Given the nature of what our families went through in WW2, I always wondered how some Jewish people could be pro abortion. But to each their own.

So sure, she’s probably up in heaven looking for Scalia...

:?
You don't get it...Israel gives abortions away and we send them billions. We''ve been down this road as well.
And It doesn't make THAT any less confounding either.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Pete, don’t read this. It will upset you.

https://apple.news/Am8GMkxS6Ql6FP5FCqSFRjg
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm She's not even being buried according to Jewish law; nope, the DNC and RBG agreed prior to her death that she would lie in state.
Do tell? You're now an authority on Jewish law....sit the firetruck down, you are way over your head.

The "law" is "as soon. as possible"...which allows those who want to pay respect the time.

Tells us about the rules on eulogies around the High Holidays. Dipsh$t.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 am Here’s the truth that no one wants to speak, which that was that RBG was an undistinguished jurist whose decisions simply justified whatever pre-existing liberal outcome she wanted. She wasn’t a genius or an innovator.

(ks)
I agree with you Pete. I personally did not like RBG. My opinion of her came from listening to how she spoke down to lawyers arguing in front of her that she disagreed with. If RBG gave you one of her tongue lashings you knew from that point what her decision about your argument was going to be. She could be very mean and short tempered if she disagreed with you. That could be why her and Scalia got along so well? They both had a very gruff side that often came out when they were behind the bench.
Gotta say, not "liking" her because she is "mean"....really? Did deeper for a reason to not like someone, espcaily when that someone has pretty much zero impact on your day to day.

How about respect? Do you respect her for what she was able to accomplish, prior to SCOTUS?

I apologize for having an opinion of the woman you disagree with. I was trying to be diplomatic about it. I will take off the gloves and tell it to you in very blunt terms. RBG was a grade A b***h on many occasions. I have no respect for the late RBG. That is only my opinion based on listening to her browbeat lawyers, normally lawyers of a conservative nature. Her nasty nature towards those lawyers she disagreed with makes me understand why she was a hero to the FLP who adored her so much. Those are the same FLP folks who disliked Scalia because of his abrasive demeanor towards lawyers that could not get to the point fast enough for him.
No apology required on this one. Didn't realize how much didn't care for her....I am surprise that you say it's because of her demeanor.
I think most folks here have never listened to these oral arguments. I have no problems with what RBGs politics were. She and Scalia could both be very abrasive if not bordering on verbally abusive towards some lawyers. Scalia was more impatient because he did not like lawyers beating around the bush. RBG really had a problem with some lawyers arguing in front of her that she disagreed with in principle. Those were only my observations. I am certain other folks here have a much different opinion. I am just one of those odd ducks who thought listening to these oral arguments late at was a fascinating window to how these judges think.
I've heard her speak dozens of times, for extended periods of time...not sure I have ever listened to a SCOTUS in session.

I find her to be off the charts smart, funny, and some one I'd love to share a meal. Same as Anton. I'm not trying to ball bust, you agreed with Petey about her lack of intellectual contributions...I knew I couldn't get him to engage. You just find her "off-putting" from your observations.
That would be correct. The fact her and Scalia were such close friends speaks to their legal and personal temperment.. In the legal sense they were both passionate about the law. As far as personal temperment, especially when hearing oral arguments, neither Justice at times was very patient or very kind to the lawyers arguing in front of them. In the case of Scalia if you were not prepared you and your case were in trouble. RBG could be down right rude if your legal argument conflicted with her political bias. It was as if hearing you out was a mere formality. Her mind was made up before she even heard what you had to say.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:43 pm Pete, don’t read this. It will upset you.

I think even Kav would laugh at this one...
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:48 pm
foreverlax wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm

(ks)

That would be correct. The fact her and Scalia were such close friends speaks to their legal and personal temperment.. In the legal sense they were both passionate about the law. As far as personal temperment, especially when hearing oral arguments, neither Justice at times was very patient or very kind to the lawyers arguing in front of them. In the case of Scalia if you were not prepared you and your case were in trouble. RBG could be down right rude if your legal argument conflicted with her political bias. It was as if hearing you out was a mere formality. Her mind was made up before she even heard what you had to say.
I suspect you could say that about any of them....it's up to the other side to make the constitutional argument.

There are certain topics you know how it will play out...like whether the constitution is static (Scalia) or dynamic (RBG).
a fan

Post by a fan »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:43 pm Pete, don’t read this. It will upset you.

I don't care what anyone says: Squee is an utterly hilarious nickname.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Did we ever learn how he got it? If we did, I forgot.

Just watched the Matt Damon bit the other night. Still hilarious.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 amSo sure, she’s probably up in heaven looking for Scalia... :?
Yeah, that's cute, but she should be looking a little farther south to find THAT guy...speaking of being condescending to attorneys before the SCOTUS... :twisted:

<<<sarcasm font on and turned up>>>

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
ggait

Post by ggait »

Short judging paper trail helps with the confirmation process. But there's also an academic paper trail.

Not clear that Mitch has the votes to jam someone through in the lame duck session.

He's got 53. Kelly replacing McSalley in November makes 52. Murkowski and Collins (if you believe her words) say the next elected president should make the nomination. That's 50 and Pence makes 51.

Grassley says the same (49), but I expect he'd weasel. His prior statements were about what he'd do as Judiciary Chair (which position he no longer holds), so he could claim he's not bound as just a regular Senator. I don't see Gardner making a stand. He's toast regardless of what he does, so he'd probably go along with a lame duck vote as he's heading out the door and looking for a new job.

So it comes down to Mitt. He wasn't around for Garland or Kavanaugh. While he'd love to stick it to Trump one more time, is he really going to vote against a pro-choice mom with a Mormon-esque 7 kids? And Manchin could always flip to the GOP side.

If his cringe-worthy duplicity gets Lindsey booted from the Senate, I'd be just fine with Trump's nominee getting lame duck confirmed. Think I'm going to donate to Lindsey's opponent's campaign.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:31 am Not sure if this has been posted, but here are the comments of RBG's colleagues on the Court. Note especially Thomas' about her graciousness and civility.

Looking at the list of other justices she has served with, not one of them will get as big of a mention in the history books. I think it is under appreciated just how highly she is thought of by your average American woman. Saw my daughter yesterday. I was blown away when she and my wife, at lunch, began to rattle off a list of ways Ginsburg impacted their daily lives, brought about change that impacted them in their daily lives and their ability to accomplish the things they have. The change not as a member of SCOTUS, but the cases she won. The laws that discriminated against women, that she changed. This country was a very different place in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s for women, before Ginsburg.
really amazing what she did throughout her "2" careers. and the impact she had, still accelerating. especially noted with what she was up against with regard to society's norms and conventions and prejudices during those times, which are impossible to underestimate.
Ginsbrug deserves respect for her career (lasting until 87) but that's about it. She was a Democratic judge not an American judge, full stop. She's not even being buried according to Jewish law; nope, the DNC and RBG agreed prior to her death that she would lie in state.

Politicians lying in state drives me bananas, and yes she was a politician. There isn't one significant decision in her career that you could not have pre-guessed a mile away. The only judges that even look at the US Constitution anymore are conservative judges, which is why every so often they vote against the state and not with their colleagues. Liberal judges vote as a clique, easily forecast, to appease their voters and not the law and definitely not America.

No offense to RBG, but she will be forgotten not remembered. She was not an intellectual and was not even a force. She voted like the DNC wanted her to vote. That does not make a 'great' judge, that makes a judge that Democrats salivate over. Sorry to dent your preferred RBG hagiography; you can cry to other posters.
pretty confusing wrap up there, pb. not sure why anyone would think this particular post dents my "preferred rbg hagiography". opinions are everywhere. great country, america.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

pretty confusing wrap up there, pb. not sure why anyone would think this particular post dents my "preferred rbg hagiography". opinions are everywhere. great country, america.

Many Fanlax Democrats today were upset that Cradle and Shoot dared to offer an opinion on RBG. Yes, a great country, by far the best in the history of the world, upheld by patriots on the right who don't care what the Dems say or like.

Most Democrats have huge problems with our Bill of Rights today; imagine what Dems will be like in two more POTUS cycles. They already despise #1A and #2A; recent outright rumblings are they hate the norms of a 9 member SCOTUS and 50 states. Many Democrats are saying 'burn it down' (meaning Congress) if an RBG replacement is made:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html

Flying the American flag will be considered by the Democratic party to be white privilege and white patriarchy within 8 years. Watch.

DEMS.jpg
DEMS.jpg (111.1 KiB) Viewed 697 times
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Many Fanlax Democrats today were upset that Cradle and Shoot dared to offer an opinion on RBG. Yes, a great country, by far the best in the history of the world, upheld by patriots on the right who don't care what the Dems say or like.

Most Democrats have huge problems with our Bill of Rights today; imagine what Dems will be like in two more POTUS cycles. They already despise #1A and #2A; recent outright rumblings are they hate the norms of a 9 member SCOTUS and 50 states. Many Democrats are saying 'burn it down' (meaning Congress) if an RBG replacement is made:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ction.html

Flying the American flag will be considered by the Democratic party to be white privilege and white patriarchy within 8 years. Watch.
DEMS.jpg
well, that sure escalated quickly. is that notorious in the background with a blowtorch? how did we get from a to b?

did you also predict her position statements on restarting era amendment instead of pushing forward as is while she was still around to maybe see it?
you also got right all her calls on the firstie?
https://mtsu.edu/first-amendment/articl ... h-ginsburg
have to say, that's pretty amazing. let me know your niffel picks this weekend. and what's gilead gonna do next?

Return to “POLITICS”