2020 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: 2020 Coaching Carousel

Post by River Donkey »

MarloStanfield09 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:12 pm With Head Coaches like the this, Lacrosse will never get the respect they so desperately seek and always be viewed as a niche sport in areas of the country where lacrosse has not gained a stronghold. In other words the game will always be viewed as a “B” sport and not attract the best athletes, only the kids who get cut from baseball. I’m assuming you were one these athletes Mario.
just want to see an example of a coach they should have hired............ seems like you have some pent up animosity towards the decision. You probably had your turn, didn't do the job, and YOU GOT CUT - for the freshman. I am assuming u were one of these athletes Swamp Donkey? Maybe he will fail and you can say "I told ya so" but until you show me who SHOULD have been hired I think we best wait to see if you get that moment.

For example..... LMU not going with the two other over qualified candidates is egregious. Seems like they went cheap as they cut scholarships also. Until you toss me that kind of argument you just sound like the JR that got CUT for the freshman....... :shock: :shock:
I guess I was right about you Mario, you seem have been upset with my comment. Stick to MCLA, it’s more your speed. As per Acevedo, he played for a no name team and received zero awards as a player. Assisted at a low level D3 team and is now a HC. That is my point, to many guys like you who never played real lacrosse, now think they are experts on the game. Let me guess again, you were the guy who strung the starters sticks and have a Paul Rabil poster on your wall and that’s your lax resume. Haha!!
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

River Donkey wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:00 pm
River Donkey wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:12 pm With Head Coaches like the this, Lacrosse will never get the respect they so desperately seek and always be viewed as a niche sport in areas of the country where lacrosse has not gained a stronghold. In other words the game will always be viewed as a “B” sport and not attract the best athletes, only the kids who get cut from baseball. I’m assuming you were one these athletes Mario.
just want to see an example of a coach they should have hired............ seems like you have some pent up animosity towards the decision. You probably had your turn, didn't do the job, and YOU GOT CUT - for the freshman. I am assuming u were one of these athletes Swamp Donkey? Maybe he will fail and you can say "I told ya so" but until you show me who SHOULD have been hired I think we best wait to see if you get that moment.

For example..... LMU not going with the two other over qualified candidates is egregious. Seems like they went cheap as they cut scholarships also. Until you toss me that kind of argument you just sound like the JR that got CUT for the freshman....... :shock: :shock:
I guess I was right about you Mario, you seem have been upset with my comment. Stick to MCLA, it’s more your speed. As per Acevedo, he played for a no name team and received zero awards as a player. Assisted at a low level D3 team and is now a HC. That is my point, to many guys like you who never played real lacrosse, now think they are experts on the game. Let me guess again, you were the guy who strung the starters sticks and have a Paul Rabil poster on your wall and that’s your lax resume. Haha!!
I wish life were that easy!! Keep applying for jobs, it'll eventually break through for ya. Per your reasoning - even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I see you in the back yard practicing, wishing they hadn't got rid of moto grip faceoffs ;)
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

You two need to relax with the personal stuff. I'd love to know what NCAA Coaching searches you've been on or experienced.

2 things: 1) a coach's playing experience and successes (or lack thereof) don't directly translate to coaching success. It's foolish to think he couldn't be good based on the fact he wasn't given accolades while playing. You can point to struggles or lack of experience as an actual coach as issues, but just because he wasn't an all-american as a player doesn't mean he can't coach.

2) Everyone on this site needs to take a step back when it comes to coaching hires in my opinion. We have successful head coaches in D3 leaving the sport all-together right now and finding other jobs. The pay isn't great and a lot of these D3 schools are barely hanging on financially. It seems like every time a coach is hired the FanLax forum decides that they aren't good enough. Who do you really believe is going to take all these jobs? For the pay they are offering and the different responsibilities they have in the athletic departments along with being the head coach of a lacrosse team?
MarloStanfield09

SpiritInTheStick wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 pm You two need to relax with the personal stuff. I'd love to know what NCAA Coaching searches you've been on or experienced.

2 things: 1) a coach's playing experience and successes (or lack thereof) don't directly translate to coaching success. It's foolish to think he couldn't be good based on the fact he wasn't given accolades while playing. You can point to struggles or lack of experience as an actual coach as issues, but just because he wasn't an all-american as a player doesn't mean he can't coach.

2) Everyone on this site needs to take a step back when it comes to coaching hires in my opinion. We have successful head coaches in D3 leaving the sport all-together right now and finding other jobs. The pay isn't great and a lot of these D3 schools are barely hanging on financially. It seems like every time a coach is hired the FanLax forum decides that they aren't good enough. Who do you really believe is going to take all these jobs? For the pay they are offering and the different responsibilities they have in the athletic departments along with being the head coach of a lacrosse team?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Do you know who Mike Daly is? I assume no. Look him up. He never played lacrosse. I personally know (and coached with) 2 College All-American college players (one who is still in the PLL, the other won a DII NC) who are good, but not great, coaches. They had their moments, from time to time, of being really great, and had some great drills,etc., but little to no discipline and little of the attention to detail that is required for being a college HC. Basically, they just went with their "gut" all the time.
MarloStanfield09

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:30 pm

Do you know who Mike Daly is? I assume no. Look him up. He never played lacrosse. I personally know (and coached with) 2 College All-American college players (one who is still in the PLL, the other won a DII NC) who are good, but not great, coaches. They had their moments, from time to time, of being really great, and had some great drills,etc., but little to no discipline and little of the attention to detail that is required for being a college HC. Basically, they just went with their "gut" all the time.
Listen to the Unknown River Donk...................
southlaxfacts

Post by southlaxfacts »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone on the forums who's complaining about these coaching hires, are just coaches who applied and didn't get an interview or got passed on for someone else. Most of these AD's who are making these hires, especially for new programs in the south, could care less about wins and losses, or how many NCAA tournaments you've made. How about you clean up your resume, practice on your interview skills, and take a look in the mirror before casting shade on the person who got the job over you.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Oh please...
The forum is full of know-it-all lax dads.
Not much else.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
washeduplaxer21

Post by washeduplaxer21 »

Where does this put Huntingdon? They have screwed up their last two hires, even though one just left them, going to be hard to explain that to recruits? Is the assistant in the running or at least a short term replacement?
NJLaxer24

Post by NJLaxer24 »

It's funny to see some of the hires but people need to realize D3 athletic departments are looking for the best fit, not the best coach. It could be they are looking for a cheap hire or they are looking for a guy who will just put heads in the beds. If you look at the D2 board, they are talking about Young Harris and who they will hire. With all the issues there they will most likely be looking for a stabilizing/good culture hire, they won't care about the success.

I know a D3 program that had 2 D1 Coaches apply and they went with a current unsuccessful D3 head coach because "They weren't looking to be league champs, they wanted someone who was going to fit in" I know it's crazy but that's D3 sometimes.
novalax1

Post by novalax1 »

washeduplaxer21 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:44 am Where does this put Huntingdon? They have screwed up their last two hires, even though one just left them, going to be hard to explain that to recruits? Is the assistant in the running or at least a short term replacement?
heard a rumor that they might try to bring Carey back. Saw on their instagram that they are having practices so looks like the assistant is running the show for now.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LacrosseFan33 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:53 pm Plattsburgh State hires Hauk

https://www.pressrepublican.com/sports/ ... d8085.html
Great hire! Awesome guy and coach. Put his time in and paid his dues.
GoBirds28

Post by GoBirds28 »

Nick Marks has left Whittier, I would expect experienced asst. Curt Fox to take over
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

That would be a simple fix, and definitely not a bad one, given his experience. Do we know the reason for Marks' departure?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Switzerland wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm That would be a simple fix, and definitely not a bad one, given his experience. Do we know the reason for Marks' departure?
Word is it is a D1 assistant role he took
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

MarloStanfield09

Add Guilford College to the list also :shock: :shock:
washeduplaxer21

Post by washeduplaxer21 »

My son has a close friend on the team, Huntingdon assistant left today. They are now without any coach.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”