Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:15 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:24 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:37 pm One huge issue that makes the American policing situation is the number of firearms (either legal or illegal) on the streets, combined with an approach to police training based on action from fear (those criminals must be armed so let's handle our interactions as if they all are).

If an officer approaches a situation expecting violence, it is going to get those trigger fingers itching...

Your choices are to figure out how to train a better approach that does not lead to a bloodbath of the police not prepared or to put some sensible limits on firearms...

Not an easy problem...
Get the guns out of the hands of private citizens and policing changes. Remove the fear from law enforcement. Few want to acknowledge this simple fact. Achieving it is another different matter.
Are you trying to differentiate between legally owned and illegal handguns? I don't believe legally owned firearms are the biggest concern the police have. Illegal handguns in the possession of a convicted felon are a very big problem for police.
Legal guns turn into illegal guns everyday. I am not trying to argue against citizens owning guns, I AM SIMPLY MAKING THE OBVIOUS POINT, no guns, the smaller the problem of policing. That's not going to happen, and it should be clear to everyone by now that the status quo cannot remain in place. Police are going to have to accept more risk in their interaction with citizens, or the process of policing is going to have to change significantly.
"Legal guns turn into illegal guns everyday."

I understand your point but I disagree. To a letter the folks that I know that legally own a gun, myself included, will go to any length to stop a legal gun from getting into the wrong hands. The only way a legal gun turns into an illegal gun is if the weapon is stolen or the owner breaks the law and wants to become a criminal. You are right, the police know they have to accept more risks when they interact with citizens. The police also have a right not to die doing so. That is a bit of a conundrum I know. The days of Sheriff Taylor with no gun died somewhere in Mayberry.
Find something else to do then.
I don't mean to insult you TLD but that is a really dumb and unrealistic response. To the best of my knowledge most police love their job and willingly accept the risk that comes along with it. I am willing to go out on a limb and say you don't worry about getting shot everyday you are at work. To tell them to do something else is flippant and insulting to them.
I pursued a different career. I had some options. I don’t want a pilot, surgeon or cop to be bad at their jobs.
I get that. IMO to be a cop or a firefighter or an EMT you know from the start you ain't gonna get rich. You have to have a passion and a love for the work. We all hear about the bad things cops do. You seldom hear about all the good and unselfish things they do for the people they serve. Yeah it would be soooo easy to quit and do something else. I am glad for the most part they don't take your advice. For every cop that wants to walk away that means someone else maybe better, maybe worse has to take their place.
I just mentioned a Detroit Police Officer helped save my life. If someone really doesn’t like it or are afraid, do something else. Otherwise a bad decision can be made. It’s a hard enough job as it is. Doing nothing doesn’t seem sensible. It’s seems stupid.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Interesting musical take:

And an explanation (listen all the way through!):

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:20 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:24 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:53 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:37 pm One huge issue that makes the American policing situation is the number of firearms (either legal or illegal) on the streets, combined with an approach to police training based on action from fear (those criminals must be armed so let's handle our interactions as if they all are).

If an officer approaches a situation expecting violence, it is going to get those trigger fingers itching...

Your choices are to figure out how to train a better approach that does not lead to a bloodbath of the police not prepared or to put some sensible limits on firearms...

Not an easy problem...
Get the guns out of the hands of private citizens and policing changes. Remove the fear from law enforcement. Few want to acknowledge this simple fact. Achieving it is another different matter.
Are you trying to differentiate between legally owned and illegal handguns? I don't believe legally owned firearms are the biggest concern the police have. Illegal handguns in the possession of a convicted felon are a very big problem for police.
Legal guns turn into illegal guns everyday. I am not trying to argue against citizens owning guns, I AM SIMPLY MAKING THE OBVIOUS POINT, no guns, the smaller the problem of policing. That's not going to happen, and it should be clear to everyone by now that the status quo cannot remain in place. Police are going to have to accept more risk in their interaction with citizens, or the process of policing is going to have to change significantly.
"Legal guns turn into illegal guns everyday."

I understand your point but I disagree. To a letter the folks that I know that legally own a gun, myself included, will go to any length to stop a legal gun from getting into the wrong hands. The only way a legal gun turns into an illegal gun is if the weapon is stolen or the owner breaks the law and wants to become a criminal. You are right, the police know they have to accept more risks when they interact with citizens. The police also have a right not to die doing so. That is a bit of a conundrum I know. The days of Sheriff Taylor with no gun died somewhere in Mayberry.
Find something else to do then.
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:07 pm "Legal guns turn into illegal guns everyday."
This is true, and the goal of the left with enough legislation.
... and the right's solution is, there is no problem as long as the flaws in the system only end up in black men dying. :roll:
No, the right believes there are plenty of gun laws. They just want to penalize illegal gun users. Not limit
the Constitutional rights of law abiding citizens.

Making more guns illegal doesn’t mean less black men dying. Want less black men dying? Work on supporting your cops, improving LEO training, and get rid of police unions or limit the protections they give bad cops. Personal accountability is what the left should shoot for, not blanket restrictions.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm Making more guns illegal doesn’t mean less black men dying. Want less black men dying? Work on supporting your cops, improving LEO training, and get rid of police unions or limit the protections they give bad cops. Personal accountability is what the left should shoot for, not blanket restrictions.
The bolded is precisely what we got in Colorado.

And yes, work on supporting the police. For one? Move our mental health expenditures up 10 fold so that these poor beat cops don't have to clean up after the rest of the citizens that are too cheap to pay to keep folks with serious mental health issues off the freaking streets.

Police aren't supposed to clean up the mess the rest of us leave behind because we love low taxes to the point of absurdity.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Yes. Dudley DoRight. In such cases, the police should be trained to let an unrestrained dog attack them.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 pm
Yes. Dudley DoRight. In such cases, the police should be trained to let an unrestrained dog attack them.
I don't know. I guess if he is willing to pay the price now it was the right decision.
“I wish you would!”
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:55 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm Well count me with those who would say those chants back in 2015 weren't ok and indeed hurt the movement at the time.

I don't think those were actually outside agitators, that was just a few folks who even then didn't represent the whole of the movement...and weren't trained in peaceful protesting. There were a bunch of folks working in the ensuing years to deal with community leaders on how protesting can be most effective...witness how non-violent Baltimore was this round as a result. This is always tenuous, as not everyone who is angry is on board with the peaceful tactics and rhetoric.

But there were a heck of a lot of protests this year, dwarfing anything seen back in 2015, and the chants were quite different, though the outrage was much the same.

But we've also had widespread looting, much of which does appear to be a combination of opportunist looters and those seeking maximum division, whether from the far right or the far left.
How many of those people spewing that hatred in 2015 are now a part of the movement today? Who knows? Maybe a few hundred, a few thousand... the point is there are still people that are a part of the movement that hate the police and will do everything in their power to undermine law enforcement whenever possible. There are the majority of BLM protesters that want change. There sadly others that see an opportunity to spread chaos and anger.
Probably so, but there are now many millions who've joined the movement who certainly don't 'hate the police', though they hate the racial insensitivity and violence toward blacks, and they want change. No more putting up with abuse and abusive policing. They also believe that systematic racism is real and that it is no longer enough to 'not be a racist', we need to be actively anti-racist if we are to overcome the systemic legacy.

I agree, and so does Mitt Romney and many millions more...does that mean we 'hate the police'...not at all.

But yeah, there are likely some who want to 'spread chaos and anger'.
And enablers like you allow it all to progress to the next level of violence.
Of course she didn't mean abolish capitalism.

Those are just the words she used to describe something benign and beautiful

https://www.facebook.com/brentbozell/vi ... 6640630911
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Goodness gracious...."It's 'Not Possible' for Black Lives To Matter Until Capitalism Is Abolished"

Is this really what BLM is all about?...they need a new leader/spokes-goup ASAP.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:05 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm Making more guns illegal doesn’t mean less black men dying. Want less black men dying? Work on supporting your cops, improving LEO training, and get rid of police unions or limit the protections they give bad cops. Personal accountability is what the left should shoot for, not blanket restrictions.
The bolded is precisely what we got in Colorado.

And yes, work on supporting the police. For one? Move our mental health expenditures up 10 fold so that these poor beat cops don't have to clean up after the rest of the citizens that are too cheap to pay to keep folks with serious mental health issues off the freaking streets.

Police aren't supposed to clean up the mess the rest of us leave behind because we love low taxes to the point of absurdity.
what "serious mental health issues" are we to take, well, seriously?

Taking all those pre-med classes, you had to take abnormal shrink nonsense. What did the DSM-3....or 4....or 5.....call homosexuality? Or, for that matter, trans stuff?

Point is, what is the point of mental health, when its always been a bouncing ball as to what a "healthy" mind should be.

My point. If they have rewarding employment, social and civic interactions and constant chances for improving their lives........non of this stuff matters. In other words, income inequality and opportunity IS the problem. The NUMBER one problem. Fix that and you have the murder rate in Baltimore and Chicago that rivals Weston, Ma and Darien, CT.

easy to do, right?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:58 pm
I don't know. I guess if he is willing to pay the price now it was the right decision.
nothing that a good samuri sword can't fix. Nothing more satisfying that watching an attacking pitbull impailed on a sword.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:32 am Goodness gracious...."It's 'Not Possible' for Black Lives To Matter Until Capitalism Is Abolished"

Is this really what BLM is all about?...they need a new leader/spokes-goup ASAP.

It’s actually what BLM is about. A new spokesman changed nothing.

Only doofus libs think BLM is about ‘respecting blacks’, primarily because they’re the only ones who don’t.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:58 pm
nothing that a good samuri sword can't fix. Nothing more satisfying that watching an attacking pitbull impailed on a sword.
I hate those dogs.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Philadelphia had more riots today.

This should safely move Pennsylvania into Trump category.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 pm Philadelphia had more riots today.

I’m a dog guy, so the fact that these pansy black Clad Antifa Democrats almost hurt this dog let alone scare him makes me want to do things to them that I’m unable to post publicly:

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/stat ... 30599?s=21

Congrats handing Trump another easy advertisement.
njbill

Post by njbill »

You mean this Proud Boys rally?

Just checked several local media sources and this is the only one I came up with.

Oops, Pete.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/proud-boy ... 00919.html
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

njbill wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:02 pm

You mean this Proud Boys rally?

Just checked several local media sources and this is the only one I came up with.

Oops, Pete.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/proud-boy ... 00919.html

Keep up.

https://twitter.com/elijahschaffer/stat ... 30599?s=21
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, I looked for a report of that incident all over local media. Nada.

How about providing the address of where this took place.

Maybe it was part of Trump’s Proud Boy rally.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Violence last night in multiple American cities. DC was probably worst.

Try finding any msm that reports it.

I can link dozens of actual video from independent journos.

Why won’t msm touch this? Protecting Democrats.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Friday night in Rochester a large house party broke out in gunfire after midnight. Sixteen people shot, two fatally both teenage black kids recently graduated from HS. A few short miles away in front of city hall the protests relating to the death of Daniel Prude kept going. To the best of my knowledge, none of the leadership of the movement had a word to say about the deaths of this young man and woman who happened to be black. BLM or is it really SBLM??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”