US Lacrosse Magazine Early Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: US Lacrosse Magazine Early Rankings

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm I knew the baby comment would come out. Supposed to beef up not down. I’d love to have had a shot at Hop last year or this upcoming year, no question.

Of course I was responding to someone else’s post on this miss thin skin.

Hop fans, whining about Duke and stalking Syracuse message boards and then acting like they are better than everyone else. Some things never change.
If Hop is so bad then how it is "beefing down"? If Hobart is truly better then wouldn't I be "beefing up"?

Don't think Hop is better than everyone else. If you read the Hop board, which I know that you do, you'd already know I think the ranking is fair and could even argue it should be lower. People like you keep projecting a certain attitude onto the entire Hopkins lacrosse community when in fact, at least on this forum, it's really only represented by a select few. You get more rational and level-headed discussion of the sport on that forum than you get absolutely anywhere else.
Your implication that Hobart is so low as to not dare question the mighty Hop. It’s just a jerkoff comment and unnecessary because you took some offense to the suggestion that hop was perhaps around the 50th percentile last season which came immediately after a point-counterpoint comment by someone else. It was simply reiterating one side of the prior note and you decided to do the douche thing. That comment about Hobart, which was expected and came, runs contrary to your claim above. Meanwhile your stalking another poster to another board to make critical comments about another set of fans. Anything seem hypocritical and hypersensitive in all of this to you?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:36 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm I knew the baby comment would come out. Supposed to beef up not down. I’d love to have had a shot at Hop last year or this upcoming year, no question.

Hop fans, whining about Duke and stalking Syracuse message boards and then acting like they are better than everyone else. Some things never change.
If Hop is so bad then how it is "beefing down"? If Hobart is truly better then wouldn't I be "beefing up"?

Don't think Hop is better than everyone else. If you read the Hop board, which I know that you do, you'd already know I think the ranking is fair and could even argue it should be lower. People like you keep projecting a certain attitude onto the entire Hopkins lacrosse community when in fact, at least on this forum, it's really only represented by a select few. You get more rational and level-headed discussion of the sport on that forum than you get absolutely anywhere else.
Your implication that Hobart is so low as to not dare question the mighty Hop. It’s just a jerkoff comment and unnecessary because you took some offense to the suggestion that hop was perhaps around the 50th percentile last season which came immediately after a point-counterpoint comment by someone else. It was simply reiterating one side of the prior note and you decided to do the douche thing. That comment about Hobart, which was expected and came, runs contrary to your claim above. Meanwhile your stalking another poster to another board to make critical comments about another set of fans. Anything seem hypocritical and hypersensitive in all of this to you?
People take constant shots at Hopkins all day every day but absolutely crumble under even the slightest retort. Like clockwork. You got your lick in, saying Hopkins isn't a top 25 team, I got mine, asking where Hobart was on the list. The fact that you're having a meltdown over some light trash talk suggests your comment about "thin skin" was really a projection. Meanwhile it continues to amaze me that posters think they own certain discussions and that other people can't weigh in if they aren't being directly quoted. The discussion was about Hop's ranking, I'm allowed to take part, just as you're allowed to come into the Hopkins thread, which you often do, offering your unsolicited opinions or vaguely racist comments about Asian people.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am 15 to 11:

15. Hopkins
14. UMass
13. Georgetown
12. Loyola
11. OSU
Fun looking at these early rankings...lots can change, but it's just fun for fans to talk about...

Loyola should be really stout if we have a 2021 season...

Very few losses, Swindel coming back, strong FO play with Savio, experienced defense and LSM play led by McNulty

Skilled attack with Olmstead, Lindley and a rising star in Kamish....and a lot of really good players at midfield including Poitras and some other promising guys to go along with 5th year returnees Swindel and Cox

I like this team a lot...see what happens
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:55 pm

People take constant shots at Hopkins all day every day but absolutely crumble under even the slightest retort. Like clockwork. You got your lick in, saying Hopkins isn't a top 25 team, I got mine, asking where Hobart was on the list. The fact that you're having a meltdown over some light trash talk suggests your comment about "thin skin" was really a projection. Meanwhile it continues to amaze me that posters think they own certain discussions and that other people can't weigh in if they aren't being directly quoted. The discussion was about Hop's ranking, I'm allowed to take part, just as you're allowed to come into the Hopkins thread, which you often do, offering your unsolicited opinions or vaguely racist comments about Asian people.
It all comes out. Throwing stuff against the wall rather than just acknowledge your own behavior. No meltdown here, just calling it like it is. So soft and sensitive.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:55 pm

It all comes out. Throwing stuff against the wall rather than just acknowledge your own behavior. No meltdown here, just calling it like it is. So soft and sensitive.
Lol all I did was ask where Hobart was on the list after you took a shot at Hopkins, and you had a conniption. Just zero ability to absorb any form of trash talk whatsoever, no matter how innocuous. Really embarrassing!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah that’s exactly what it all was. Conniption. I just knew some soft baby would take issue with a realistic statement that they weren’t top 25 last year. Didn’t compare to Hobart only a child would retort in such a manner. Then all crying about people taking shots at poor Hopkins fans all day. Oh it’s so hard and unfair.

You’ve got it all backwards in ways even my 6yr old wouldn’t comprehend reality. Conniption fit? Shot at Hop? Childish is all it is from a paper thin skinned small person. Note the parallel behavior on the Syracuse thread...I’m not embarrassed about anything. Are you?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:06 pm Yeah that’s exactly what it all was. Conniption. I just knew some soft baby would take issue with a realistic statement that they weren’t top 25 last year. Didn’t compare to Hobart only a child would retort in such a manner. Then all crying about people taking shots at poor Hopkins fans all day. Oh it’s so hard and unfair.

You’ve got it all backwards in ways even my 6yr old wouldn’t comprehend reality. Conniption fit? Shot at Hop? Childish is all it is from a paper thin skinned small person. Note the parallel behavior on the Syracuse thread...I’m not embarrassed about anything. Are you?
You seem to still be mid-conniption. Do you think you'll recover from the savage "where is Hobart on the list" burn, or do you need a timeout? Everything you're saying about being "soft" or a "baby" is a projection.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah you’re right. Whatever. You are always right and everyone else is wrong. More importantly tired of this, moving in with life. I can do that.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cooter wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 am So Hopkins slips in at #15.
Is that realistic or based more on reputation?
Hopkins will have Epstein back and healthy. They bring in 2 nice transfers; Kirson should improve things in goal. Hopkins does have a few top freshmen showing up, but where will they be at on the learning curve.
On the other hand, they were 2-4, last spring.
Of course, a new coach.

Maybe the infusion of talent justifies 15, but I think I would go with the 20-25 range.
They woulda been better anyway with just a healthy Epstein. They improved the roster quite a bit with Kirson and Fernandez. Good recruiting class. I think anywhere from 15-20ish is probably about right.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hop doesn't deserve to be ranked. barely a 2 win team, no fall ball, new staff, key losses everywhere. No.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 am key losses everywhere
Key losses? You're the guy who could barely contain his excitement by repeatedly saying how little you thought of the senior class and how nothing of value was lost. Now they're key losses? Who, specifically, was a key loss? And why wasn't that person a key loss a few months ago when you were trashing them on their way out the door?
smoova

Post by smoova »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:42 am Hop doesn't deserve to be ranked. barely a 2 win team, no fall ball, new staff, key losses everywhere. No.
Hop should be ranked around the same level as MSM ...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If all that matters for projecting 2021 is how teams performed in the shortened 2020 season, shouldn't the preseason rankings just be exactly as they were the moment the season was cut short in March?

So Princeton, which lost Michael Sowers and now may not even have enough players to field a team in the spring, should be ranked #3, just as they were when the season ended, right?

Cornell, which lost their head coach and the vast majority of their strong senior class, should be ranked #2 still, well ahead of teams like UNC, Maryland, Duke, and Virginia, who all bring way more back, have big transfers coming in, and didn't lose their head coaches?

Duke added one of the best players of all time in Michael Sowers (and the #1 freshman in the country) but should still be ranked all the way down at #8 and not even in the top 5?

Seems to me it makes a lot more sense to take 2020 into account, but weigh it against other factors like personnel and staff changes, recruiting classes, injuries, etc.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:48 am 15 to 11:

15. Hopkins
14. UMass
13. Georgetown
12. Loyola
11. OSU
Fun looking at these early rankings...lots can change, but it's just fun for fans to talk about...

Loyola should be really stout if we have a 2021 season...

Very few losses, Swindel coming back, strong FO play with Savio, experienced defense and LSM play led by McNulty

Skilled attack with Olmstead, Lindley and a rising star in Kamish....and a lot of really good players at midfield including Poitras and some other promising guys to go along with 5th year returnees Swindel and Cox

I like this team a lot...see what happens
The team has some solid pieces all around, along with the key sophomores who got a good amount of playing time last year. Once they find a groove and puts all the pieces together in the puzzle, i think they can perform fairly well if there is a 2021 season
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men

10. Notre Dame
9. Yale
8. Cornell
7. UNC
6. Denver
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:54 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... sion-i-men
10. Notre Dame
9. Yale
8. Cornell
7. UNC
6. Denver
So this implies Penn State is top 5, I don’t see how ?

Also, there is that much of a gap from Denver to
Georgetown in the Big East, I don’t see that logic ?

This implies Syracuse, UVA, Terps, Duke, Penn State
top 5 in no order.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

My top 5 would be something like:

1. Duke
2. Syracuse
3. Maryland
4. UNC
5. UVA

I don't think Penn State belongs in the top 5 after losing Ament. I'd put them 6-8. You could make a case for Denver with Morrill, but I think 8-10 for them is probably more accurate.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Ament made that offense go, just like Sowers made Princeton's go. Very hard to replace unique and generational talents like that.

Cuse has EVERYONE coming back. They're going to be so good and should be preseason #1. Duke bringing in Sowers and the Super Frosh is going be mighty good. Penalize them hard if they drop two early season games to scrubs like they usually do.

Denver looks overrated to me. How is Georgetown not considered the class of the BE at this point? Kinda no respect there.

If Jared returns to College Park, put Maryland just behind Cuse and Duke. With Jared back, the Terps would have the most complete and dynamic offense in the nation. Get to 50% at the FOGO and get 50% in goal, and it's hard to see how they lose. They lacked stretch shooters last season, which Holden and Brown provide on either side.

Could this spring...if played...be the most competitive lacrosse season...ever? It's going to be so good.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Cornell is too low at #8. No team received so little credit for their successes this past spring than Cornell. No losses and they beat PSU and OSU. Who did more?...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:36 pm Cornell is too low at #8. No team received so little credit for their successes this past spring than Cornell. No losses and they beat PSU and OSU. Who did more?...
Again, that's why they were ranked #2 in 2020. They already got credit for that last season. This ranking is a projection for 2021. It's a combination of last year's results, plus roster/staff changes, graduations, incoming recruits, transfers, injuries, etc. Their success last year is indeed an important part of all that—but it's just one part. It's why they're still a top 8 team despite losing two All-Americans in Salvatore and Duggan and their head coach who presumably had some hand in their success, as well as not benefiting in the transfer market like some other similarly ranked teams did. Teat/Piatelli/Donville/Long is a great core on offense that returns which warrants a top 10 projection but taking everything else into account you can't just keep them at #2.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”