FannOLax

Re: Yale 2019

Post by FannOLax »

Article on Yale lacrosse commit David Anderson:
https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/community ... ommitment/
calourie

Post by calourie »

I found this article interesting from the athleticism evaluation standpoint as the rest is pretty much already known fall ball
history:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... p-hangover
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Good updates on Anderson and Coach Shay's thinking on potential hangover. Yale looked good in losing to US National Team, Starr especially. Yet, fall ball is fall ball and with some of the players not participating, the true potential of the team won't be known until well into the season (and we know how this past season's first game went). Certainly, 2019 looks very promising.

For we fans we are now in the doldrums of the off-season.
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

Some thoughts to get the thread back on page one which I think the quality of this year's team will likely warrent. IL preseason #1 which as Fann is fond of saying puts a bullseye on the back of the team and everyone on it, but I also think is a mark of respect for how far Andy Shay and his various and talented assistants have brought the program. Years' ago after the NCAA first round comeback victory against Penn State ( Shay's first and until last year only victory in the NCAAs) the Post Standard of Syracuse had an article by I think Patrick Stevens which stated to the effect that college lacrosse enthusiasts should take note that regardless of whether or not Shay ever got Yale to the final four that the turnaround he had engendered at Yale was already a truly remarkable accomplishment. Now here we are six years later, after three intervening NCAA disappointments which seemed to echo Steven's caveat, sitting atop the college lacrosse D1 world for at least another two months with at a good number of the nation's lacrosse cognoscenti prognosticating the program to continue to be one of the best, it not the best in the country this coming season. Huzzahs and Kudos to Shay and staffmates for all they have accomplished. Tough to get much better than this.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, Bulldog backs brandish big bright bold bullseyes; it's really tough to repeat as national champions, and 2018 was a magical year for Yale men's lacrosse that will be difficult to replicate... but YES, Shay has done an absolutely superlative job! I think back to a game I went to at Reese Stadium in 2007: the Elis played with grit and tenacity, but just didn't have the talent to match its Ivy opponent and so lost the game. Gradually, year by year, Yale's talent has improved while that grit and intensity has remained an Eli trademark. Knock on wood, but the quality of recent recruiting classes makes this program look capable of being a national contender year-in, year-out. I feel fortunate to have met a bunch Yale lax alums (mainly classes of 2013 through 2015) within the past few months; I was favorably impressed by these young men. And having heard about the classroom achievements of Ben Reeves and some of his Yale team-mates, I am 100% certain that Shay & his staffmates truly deserve all the huzzahs and kudos that will have come their way.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Heavy is the head....very tough to repeat last year's success, especially when Yale looses Reeves, who every team absolutely had to account for, and slide quick to him. The D and GK should be solid, but will the loss of some athleticism at SSDM positions be an issue. The other O players are going to have to become much more creative on their own dodging to make up for the loss of off ball opportunities Reeves presence made available. If Yale makes it back to the final four, the program, not just the team will be considered one of the best in the country.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Voyuer wrote:... especially when Yale looses Reeves,
Seriously??? :o :lol:
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

The fact that it is loosely spelled is not lost on any of us. But, no matter.
Lux et veritas
a fan

Post by a fan »

Offseason treat for Yale fans....

Syracuse v. Yale 1992 NCAA Quarters....

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

De-commit from Terps.
Commit to Yale for 2019.
California midfield.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/43202
calourie

Post by calourie »

A good bit of video comes up if you google Logan Soelberg. Not generally one to get too excited by highlight videos, but I am impressed by the fact that he looks very comfortable and effective shooting going both right and left, moreso than most at this stage in their development. Luring a young man away from Tillman and the Terps increases his allure for me as well.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, we've been able to bask in the warm glow of a national championship for over half a year, but it appears that Shay hasn't been resting on his laurels. Judging by the news trickling in on commitments, it appears the program could be enjoying a not-unexpected uptick in recruiting thanks to being national champs. I imagine that the current players have been working hard. We are now less than two months from a new season. Last season Yale lost its opener against Villanova, and given the Ivy rules against lacrosse practices before February (certainly an out-dated rule that should be changed), it wouldn't surprise me, or worry me too much, if a game or two is lost in February. The February slate now includes Penn State, on paper a formidable opponent who will have three games under its belt to Yale's one when the Nittany Lions arrive in New Haven. While much has has been made of Ben Reeves's absence, in my mind the real uncertainty is on defense thanks to the departures of Keating (under-rated, I'd say) and O'Connor; Hynes would seem the likeliest candidate to join Fake in the starting back line, but Aidan's lack of fall-ball playing time makes me wonder about his knee. Could we see a first-year Dman starting in 2019?
I did go to YouTube and watch some of that 1992 Syracuse-Yale game (posted above on this thread)... I hadn't realized how much NCAA lacrosse has improved since the early '90s. We really were fortunate to see some excellent lacrosse last season! Okay, enough (too much?) from me, but I would like to wish folks a happy and prosperous New Year.
calourie

Post by calourie »

One question that I think this year's Bulldog team will have to answer to approach last year's success is is there someone with the capability to step up and be the guy on offense who serves as the "disrupter", the replacement for Ben Reeves who every opponent will have to adjust their defensive schemes to account for. It is possible I suppose to have a championship team with an extremely balanced attack wherein no one stands out as "the guy", but if you look at last year's final four, all four teams featured one player (Yale-Reeves, Duke-Guterding, Albany-Fields, Maryland-Kelly) who commanded sufficient attention to open up opportunities for whomever else was there to contribute on offense. Yale has a couple of possibilities in Morrill and Gaudet, with perhaps the two operating in tandem, but we will have to wait and see if one or the other or both can take that next step to be truly dominant. As good as Jack Tigh is I wouldn't expect him to fill that role, and despite the depth of scoring that this team should be capable of, unless there is a quantum leap in proficiency on the part of anyone else I think that leaves the maturing of the Morrill/Gaudet duo as probably the teams' best shot at being offensively outstanding
The D is another issue to be discussed, but I'll save that task for the preliminary results that come in once preseason begins.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote:One question that I think this year's Bulldog team will have to answer to approach last year's success is is there someone with the capability to step up and be the guy on offense who serves as the "disrupter", the replacement for Ben Reeves who every opponent will have to adjust their defensive schemes to account for. It is possible I suppose to have a championship team with an extremely balanced attack wherein no one stands out as "the guy", but if you look at last year's final four, all four teams featured one player (Yale-Reeves, Duke-Guterding, Albany-Fields, Maryland-Kelly) who commanded sufficient attention to open up opportunities for whomever else was there to contribute on offense. Yale has a couple of possibilities in Morrill and Gaudet...
Well, first of all, and at the risk of stating the obvious, I think that Reeves was unique. His combination of size, speed, stick skills, vision, dedication and lacrosse IQ made him a truly special player. As much respect as I have for Morrill, Gaudet and the rest of this new edition of Yale lacrosse (and I will say up-front that I didn't make it to any fall-ball this time around, so I haven't seen the first-years), I don't expect anyone to emerge as a direct replacement for Ben Reeves. That being said, with Morrill, Gaudet and Rooney back from last year, the addition of first-year Brandeau (who looked very good against Team USA) and a full complement of strong middies capable of scoring, I'm not worried about the offense. So, one example of "a championship team with an extremely balanced attack wherein no one stands out" would be North Carolina 2016, whose attack line had but one Honorable Mention All American (Steven Pontrello) while there was also just one offensive middie who made All America, also HM. Will I miss watching Reeves? Yes, absolutely. I feel fortunate to have seen him play, and not just last season. The 2018 team featured some other terrific seniors, probably a few worthy of being captain. In spite of all the departures, some "Way Early" rankings put the Elis at #1; I'm not sure I agree with this lofty ranking, and as I said in my previous post, a loss or two in February wouldn't surprise me... but the 2019 Bulldogs should be capable of scoring goals and should be fun to watch.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Congratulations to Yale OC Andrew Stimmel, who has been named an assistant coach for the under 19 USA squad. He joins the staff of head coach Nick Meyres for whom Stimmel played while at Ohio State.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Mid-Lax wrote:The fact that it is loosely spelled is not lost on any of us. But, no matter.
Must be a Harvard chap.Or a comedian looking for a gig.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yup, this thread is crawling with Harvard chaps, wannabe comedians and don't forget the North Shore Oahu surfers...

Anyway, IL's pre-season yearbook rates Yale's as the second best attack unit:

"2. Yale

Jackson Morrill
Matt Gaudet
Brendan Rooney
Despite losing Tewaaraton winner Ben Reeves, Yale returns an attack unit that is among the best in nation. Jackson Morrill (40G, 32A) looks poised to take the reins of the Yale offense after a 72-point campaign during the Bulldogs’ championship season last year. Yale also returns NCAA Tournament MVP Matt Gaudet (41G, 7A), a proven and highly-efficient inside finisher. Brendan Rooney (19G, 3A), Matt Brandau, and Thomas Bragg are in contention for the third attack spot after impressing during the fall."
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nits/53578

Last year, I'd say IL hit the nail on the head by ranking Yale's attack #1. This year, well, life after Reeves begins. Whoever the three 2019 starters may be, I really liked the 2018 man-up scheme of using four all-out attackmen; it certainly worked better than the 2017 approach, which seemed to be first-line attack, first-line midfield plus many passes hoping to find the perfect shot. Okay, Saturday Feb 9th there's a scrimmage at Reese; if the weather is half decent, non-blizzard, I'll be there.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Not at all. Long time Yale and long time forum poster in Laxpower and here. So much for attempts at light forum humor. Just looking forward to the start of the Eli's 2019 season (and Spring weather).
Lux et veritas
calourie

Post by calourie »

IL has the Bulldog midfield preseason rated #2 in the country, citing Tigh, Sessa, Tevlin, Cotler and Daniggelis specifically and mentioning the team's depth at that position. I anticipate continued strong performances from the 5 cited players as well as meaningful playing time from the likes of returnees Cropp, Forst and Eschbach. FYs with a good chance to contribute include Kuttin, Ocken and Gatto. All the players mentioned have demonstrated decent offensive skills, and I have intentionally left out those middies both LS and SS who are likely to see time primarily on the defensive end as I think they should be seen as defensive components, though I do expect significant 2-way contributions from the likes of Daniggelis, Tevlin, Cotler, Cropp and Eschbach with FYs Ocken and Gatto having the size and perhaps the athleticism to also help out at both ends, particularly in this new age of the shot clock. Eagerly looking forward to the Syracuse and Merrimack scrimmages to hear how things pan out. Hoping the weather is good enough for the latter to give Fann a chance to drill down into the details. 16 days until the start of official practices for the new 2019 model of Yale Lacrosse. I expect it to be another impressive one.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”