Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Syracuse 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Easy Reference wrote: SU Board
May as well start the thread and... 2 players from Furman.

http://dailyorange.com/2020/09/2-furman ... gram-cuts/
Last edited by Matnum PI on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Syracuse, N.Y. -- The Syracuse lacrosse program continued bolstering its class of 2022 on Wednesday when midfielder Zach Mercado announced he is committing to the Orange.

Mercado will be a junior at Austin High School in Texas. He plays club lacrosse on a team coached by former Orange great Dom Fin.

Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

Best of luck to Zach.
Meanwhile, those Texas boys need to up their D game....a lot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Id like you volunteer Hobart to teach him a hard lesson on how D1 defense is played in a couple of years.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

The Texans will either step up or be standing on the sidelines. Unfortunately, there will be many standing on the sidelines between 5th years, transfers, the incoming class, and the remainder of the team. I don’t see any spots being guaranteed. The competition should be fierce all year once practices get going.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Joey Spallina

Post by Matnum PI »

Recruiting: No. 1 Junior Joey Spallina (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) Narrows List to Five Programs

Loyola: “The thing that initially really jumped out to me about Loyola was their plan for me and their focus on winning and player development. I’ve really loved how great their staff has been — Coach Toomey, Van and Dwan have all been very professional and fun to talk to…. An aspect that I’ve loved is them just kind of pitching “The Pat Spencer Experience” and explaining his time and role at Loyola, explaining how teams would try and cover him or face guard him, but even when they did he’d still have seven or eight points a game…. On my visit, I loved that it was a small campus and school overall, but it didn’t feel as small as I thought it would. I really liked how Ridley [Athletic Complex] was completely separate from the campus, and I know their students get really pumped to attend their games so that’s awesome too."

Maryland: "When it comes to Maryland, Coach Tills is the best and the tradition of the program is huge. I love their attention to detail and the people involved in the program, it’s definitely a winning formula….. I went there last week and the campus was awesome, plus the lacrosse program’s moving into the old football facility right now at the stadium, so that was pretty cool to see. Also, the potential to play with Jack [Schirtzer] is obviously a pretty cool thought to me since I grew up playing with him."

North Carolina: “Their staff’s energy made a big impression on me, definitely the first thing I really noticed when talking. Every call with them was fun but also really intense, focused and informative… Coach Breschi was the first on their staff to call me on September 1st, he was so high energy and it was just a really fun conversation. And then KU [assistant Kevin Unterstein], I’ve known him since I was seven years old since he played for my dad with the Lizards, he’s the man too. Coach Metzbower is great, he’s obviously really smart and I love how he runs the offense there … When I was down on [Dorrance] Field, I really liked how the stands are right on top of you since there was no track or big open area. I also liked how stadiums were right in the middle of the campus, there’s definitely a lot to do around there and that’s a big part of it.”

Syracuse: “From the time I started playing lacrosse, my dream was to play at ‘Cuse and wear No. 22 and carry on the tradition there, which I know is a huge part of things up at Syracuse. Also, I like the staff’s experience a lot — in particular, Coach [Pat] March has been awesome with me, he went through their game film with me and mapped out what they see me doing… The campus was great, I loved the vibe around there and that lacrosse matters so much, but also that there’s good basketball and football.”

Virginia: “UVA’s goals and expectations of the program both on and off the field were what stood out the most to me. They’ve really been changing the culture there and I absolutely love that staff, especially Coach Kirwan. We’re both huge New York Giants fans, so we’ve had conversations focused on them and I’ve liked how he has kept it light that way… We talked a lot about their offense and it’s a system I really like — I think it’d allow me to do a number of things for them and handle the ball a lot. Coach Kirwan was breaking down their game film with me and explaining where I would be and other guys would be, that was really intriguing… Also, the town [of Charlottesville] is really nice and obviously Klockner is a sick stadium, the facilities are insane and everything was great."
Last edited by Matnum PI on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Re: Joey Spallina

Post by Matnum PI »

Based on this piece, I'd put my chips on UVA. We'll find out tonight...
Caddy Day
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

What an awesome situation to be in. Good for him
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Based on those answers, I'd go with UNC.

I'd be shocked if it's Loyola.

The guys on the Syracuse boards seem pretty confident they're getting him.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tough to read the tea leaves just from these quotes. For Loyola he says, "I really liked how Ridley [Athletic Complex] was completely separate from the campus" and for UNC "I also liked how stadiums were right in the middle of the campus". If some school could sell their stadium as right in the middle of, yet completely separate from, campus that might close the sale.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:38 pm Tough to read the tea leaves just from these quotes. For Loyola he says, "I really liked how Ridley [Athletic Complex] was completely separate from the campus" and for UNC "I also liked how stadiums were right in the middle of the campus". If some school could sell their stadium as right in the middle of, yet completely separate from, campus that might close the sale.
A good reminder that he's a teenager who might not know exactly what he wants in a college yet. That goes for all these kids making commitment decisions right now.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Or he's a teenager being interviewed on the fly and he's just saying what he liked about each school and he liked the field being off-campus... and on-campus. i.e. He liked both. And, thus, by definition, neither will pull or push him in a direction. Now, the #22 at SU or the high likelihood of a National C'ship while attending UVA (or UMD), that's a different story.
Caddy Day
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Loyola is a smaller school and having the lax stadium on campus could really restrict the stadium's size, so having the stadium off campus has allowed Loyola to have a nice stadium.
Live Free or Die!
dek

Post by dek »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:52 pm Or he's a teenager being interviewed on the fly and he's just saying what he liked about each school and he liked the field being off-campus... and on-campus. i.e. He liked both. And, thus, by definition, neither will pull or push him in a direction. Now, the #22 at SU or the high likelihood of a National C'ship while attending UVA (or UMD), that's a different story.
I think you nailed it on the last line, and those will big factors. Looked to me like he handled the conversation with IL pretty skillfully - much better than I would have at that age. My guess is your last point (higher NC prob. w/ Hoos and Terps) outweighs #22, but neither are sure things.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Uhhhh,

How was Joey able to visit campuses and facilities? I know he's allowed to have phone calls.

D1 schools are in a quiet period. There is no on or off campus recruiting allowed. How was he able to tour the lacrosse facilities?

Most campuses are open for visits. But again, he described some specific information that could be rules violations.

I'm just more or less interested to see how some of these recruits handled their recruitment.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

dek wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:22 pm My guess is your last point (higher NC prob. w/ Hoos and Terps) outweighs #22, but neither are sure things.
Especially when Scanlan is currently wearing the number.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”